Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Not Meant to Live ❯ ~That Familiar Voice~ ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Not Meant to Live (part 3)
~That familiar voice...~

by: AniDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryuuen held his sister by the shoulders lightly as she told him what had been happening that day. He could hardly believe it, yet... he knew, somehow, that what Kourin was saying was true. He didn't suspect, for even a minute, that she was making it up, or that she was crazy. He just... knew.

Kourin took a deep breath when she finished the last flashback. She seemed to have finally calmed down, at least a little bit. Although even though Ryuuen believed her, he didn't know what to make of it. What did all these flashes mean? Where they warnings? Memories from another life? Or something else?

He unconsciously touched his chest where Kourin had said the claw had penetrated. There was something about that particular flash that seemed familiar to him. It wasn't that it reminded him of something he had lived through, but more something that had crossed his mind at one point. Like a déjà-vu. Like a...

"A dream," He whispered.

Kourin looked at him oddly, "What?"

"That dream I had this morning.... I... That last flash seemed to have... reminded me of it... I still can't remember the dream, but... I just have a feeling that they're related somehow..."

Kourin swallowed, "'Niichan... I'm scared..."

Ryuuen put his arms around her, "Shh... It'll be okay. We'll find out what's going on..."

Kourin brushed away new tears, "But what if we don't?"

Ryuuen closed his eyes, "....I don't know, imouto. I don't know."

At their side, Ashitare started pawing at them.

Ryuuen got up, "I think he wants to go for a walk, I'll be back soon."

Kourin nodded, watching her brother tie a leach on the dog. Right before Ryuuen left, he turned back towards her, "Hey, Genrou and I have plans a bit later, but Rokou should be home by then. I could cancel, though, if you really need company..."

"Iie, iie, don't cancel your plans because of this. Go have fun. I'll be okay."

Ryuuen nodded, then left the house. Kourin laid down on the couch, then finally fell asleep.

**********

Ah, the mall. Such a nice, bright place where you can buy almost anything you want. The perfect place to go with your friends after school to just hang around.

That day, Miaka had gone to the said mall with her boyfriend Taka, her brother Keisuke and his best friend Tetsuya.

And of course, we can't forget Yui.

Miaka's way-too-serious best friend Yui.

Responsible, practically adult Yui.

Yui who ground her nerves with her total refusal to just have a good time.

"Come on Yui-chan, please?"

"For the last time, Miaka, I am not getting a tongue ring!"

"But it would look so good on you! And I'm sure Tetsuya wouldn't mind..."

"Hey! Leave me out of this!" The sun glassed boy shouted, "Mind you, I have always wondered what it was like to kiss a girl with a tongue ring..."

Yui slapped her boyfriend on the arm, "Enough of that!"

This was the argument that had broken out when the group had passed in front of a tattoo and body piercing place, and Miaka had started saying how Yui should stop being so responsible and just once, do something brash and out of the blue. The tongue ring was Keisuke's idea, which Miaka had at once supported and started upon.

Yui glanced over to Taka with a 'help me' look on her face. Taka shrugged, "She's your best friend."

"She's your girlfriend!"

"Well, actually," Miaka spoke up with a blush, "Fiancée, now."

Silence.

"Nani?!?!" Yui shouted, "When did this happen?"

Miaka's blush brightened, "Well, we've always known that we would eventually get married, but we made it official last night. We decided that we would once I turn 18 in six months. Actually the reason we decided to get the group together was to tell you guys!"

Yui hugged her best friend, the earlier argument forgotten, "Oh, I'm so happy for you! We should celebrate this!"

"I have an idea!" Miaka said. Everyone expected her to suggest they go eat or something of the sort, but... "How about you celebrate by doing something brash and out of the blue!"

Yui sweat dropped, "I should have seen that coming. But you're not gonna trick me into that so easily! How about we just go get some ice cream?"

A pouting look crossed the Suzaku no miko's face, "No! I will not shut up until you do something irresponsible!"

"Forget it, Miaka! There is no way you are going to convince me to do that.

(One hour later)

"I can't believe you convinthed me to do that," Yui said in a monotone voice, wincing at the pain of her swollen tongue.

"Very sexy, hun." Tetsuya teased.

She hit him on the arm again, while Miaka laughed, "Don't worry, Yui-chan! It looks good! You should be able to talk without slurring in a few days, and then you'll thank me!"

"I doubt that," the Seiryuu miko said in the same slurred speaking pattern, "You are tho going to get a thpeach onth I can talk right again."

Miaka held back another giggle, "You say that now, but you'll see!"

"And why didn't you get one?"

She shrugged, "I'm not the ultra responsible one who needs to loosen up!"

The guys laughed, watching the feud between the two friends. Taka put his arm around Miaka's waist, "Hey, I was just thinking, do you want to maybe go to the jewelry store later? I could buy you a ring to make our engagement more official."

Miaka quickly forgot the argument she was having and looked over to Taka with big eyes, "Really? You mean it?"

The reincarnation smiled, "Of course! What kind of guy would I be if I wasn't willing to buy my fiancée a ring?"

"A cheap one?" Miaka tried.

"Exactly, so it's only natural that I--"

"Yuiren! Wait up! Don't forget that I have your bags!"

Taka froze in the middle of his phrase, his eyes wide. Had he just heard...?

Miaka put her hand on his arm, "Taka? Taka, what's wrong?"

He looked over the food court hastily. Where? Where had that voice come from?

"Taka?"

"I... I just heard... I heard somebody say... Yuiren...."

Shock crossed Miaka's face, "Yuiren? You mean your... Tamahome's little sister?"

He nodded, then laughed nervously, "The strangest thing is that the person who called her name sounded almost like Chiriko! Heh. It must have just been my imagination."

Miaka squeezed his arm affectionately, "Are you okay?"

He laughed, "Yeah! I'm fine! Don't worry about it. Like I said, it was probably just my imagination."

The conversation went on, none of them noticing the young couple only a few feet away...

**********

Kourin woke up with a cold sweat and sat up. The now familiar icy chill in her veins faded, and she wrapped the blanket that had been placed over her around herself in a feeble attempt to get warm. She wondered vaguely where the blanket had come from, then remembered that Ryuuen had said that Rokou would be home soon.

She tried to remember the flashes she had seen this time, but for some reason these weren't as vivid as the others. All she could recall was a carriage being pulled by horses and a young boy screaming. Nothing else.

She suddenly felt as if she was being watched and turned, only to see that Rokou was standing nearby.

"Ryuuen left a note saying that you weren't feeling well," He said, "You going to be okay?"

Kourin smiled, "Hai, I'll be fine. Just a little flu or something."

He smiled, "K. Get better soon, ne?"

She nodded, "Yeah. I think I just need some rest. I'm going up to my room..."

She went up and closed the door, then proceeded to change into her pijamas. She really wished she knew what was going on.... Or maybe this would keep happening untill she was old and gray, and she'd just have to get used to it? If that was the case.... Well... It wasn't a very pleasent thought....

Suddenly, the phone in her room rang, making her jump about a foot in the air. She picked it up.

"Moshi moshi?"

"Kourin-chan!" It was Chuei, "Are you alright? After you left in History, I got really worried.... Then the twins said you weren't in French class...."

"I'm alright, Cheui-kun. It's just a flu... Or something like it...."

"Something like.... Are you sure your okay?"

She sighed, "I'm fine. Thank you for worrying. I should be able to make it to school tomorow. If not, then soon."

"Okay... Well... Get, some rest, ne?"

"I will."

She hung up the phone and sighed. She was a bit worried about everyone making such a big deal about it. If they figured out what was really happening to her, they'd freak out...

Sighing once again, she sat on her bed, "Why me?"

~End of Chapter 3~

(A/N: Sorry for taking so long with this! I've been busy...)