Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Not Meant to Live ❯ ~Flashes~ ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
(A/N: Here's part two! A more or less angsty part. And by the way, don't ask me why their studying Canadian history in a japaneseclass. They just are.)
(SPOILER WARNING: Er... the whole series, I guess.)
Not Meant to Live (part 2)
~Flashes~

by: AniDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**********3rd Course: History**********
"Okay, today we're going to be seeing a lot more about the Acadien deportation. Now, I know you all know mostly everything about it, but hey! It's in the program, so what can we do?"
"That's okay," Some boy sitting in front said, "It's the only date I remember, anyway."
"And what date would that be, Tatara-san?"
"1755."
"Good!" Houki cheered, "Now, as you all know, the english and the french always had wars around those times, and Acadia, which is now known as New-Bunswick, was kind of like an exchange piece. If the french would loose the war, they'd give the english Acadia, and vice versa. Well..."
Cheui yawned, "This is sooooo boring!" He whispered to Kourin, "I memorized all this in ninth grade!"
"I know, but like the teacher said, it's in the program. But on the bright side, we won't have to study as much if we already know it."
"True."
Kourin sighed and leaned her head on her hand. It was true that Houki's energy made History seem more interesting, but she had heard about the deportation so many times now that she knew the whole thing by heart, including the reasons for it, the effects it had, how long it lasted, and plenty more.
She noticed Cheui was still looking at her and gave him a small smile. He blushed and took a sudden interest in his notes.
She glanced at the teacher, figuring that she might as well pretend to pay attention, and that's when it happened.
She gasped in shock as she felt a sudden cold feeling spread across her body. It was almost as if her veins had filled with ice! She clenched her teeth in pain as images started rushing in her head. Flashes, almost like memories, hit her one after the other.

~FLASH~
A woman with long purple hair-- who looked quite a bit like Houki-- had run up to a man with long grayish black hair and cried in his arms, sobbing about someone who had died. Someone named... Nuriko? Something like that...
~FLASH~
Sitting on a balcony in what looked like a palace, looking out over the stars was the same woman as before. Her hair was loose and flowing around her and she was looking out at the stars with tears in her eyes. She had her hand on her stomach, which was a bit large.
~FLASH~
And now the woman was laying awake in bed, not blinking, only staring blankly at the wall. A small child who was barely a year old was sitting next to the bed playing with toys, but not smiling.
~FLASH~
The man who's arms she had been crying in was back, but he was blurry, almost as if he was an illusion or a spirit. The woman watched him with a slow smile playing on her lips, with the child in her arms. She was speaking to the child. The man was looking at them, amazed.
~FLASH~

And now Kourin was back in class, the icy feeling leaving her. She gasped in shock and stood up quickly, breathing heavily. The class looked at her oddly.
"Kourin-chan?" Cheui asked slowly, "What's wrong?"
"I..." She whispered, not finding her voice. She swallowed, then tried again, "I'm sorry," She said, loud enough for the class to hear, "I'm not feeling well. Could I go see the nurse?"
"Of course," Houki answered with a concerned look.
Kourin bolted out of class before anyone else could ask her any questions. She ran out of the sector, passed a row of lockers, and kept running until she was in the lobby, where she sat on a bench and hugged her arms for warmth, shaking and breathing heavily.
'What was that?' She wondered. The flashes had felt so real, and so vivid, she could have almost sworn that they were memories of some sort. But... not her memories. Someone else's.
She finally took a few deep breaths to calm herself and closed her eyes. Her shaking died down to a mild tremor, and she stood up, heading for the nurses office.
'What's wrong with me?'

**********4rth Period: French**********

Koutoku and Shunkaku arrived in french class, as usual, at the same time. Their teacher, Ruo, Chuin looked at them.
"Mettez vos devoir sur mon pupitre. (Put your homework on my desk)" He told them.
"Oui, monsieur! (Yes, sir!)" They answered in complete synch.
"Are you two ALWAYS this synchronized?!" Kaen exclaimed.
The twins laughed, "Yep!"
Kaen sighed and rolled her eyes.
The bell rang a few seconds after that, and everyone sat down. Chuin took the presence, then frowned, "Est-ce que quelqu'un sait où Kourin cerait? (Does anyone know where Kourin is?)"
"Elle était au foyer c'matin. (She was in homeroom this morning)" Kaen answered.
"Elle était ici à midi, aussi. (She was here at lunch, too)" Koutoku answered.
"Peut-être elle a un apointement au medecin... (Maybe she has an appointment with the doctor)" The teacher mused, then shrugged, "En tous cas, on vas comencer la class avec une petite revision de ce qu'on a fait hier. Est-ce que quelqu'un peut me dire la différence entre un Complément D'Objet Direct et Indirect? (Anyway, we'll start the class with a little revision of what we did yesterday. Can anyone tell me the difference between a Direct and an Indirect Object?)"
Koutoku and Shunkaku looked at each other. Kourin hadn't mentioned anything about going anywhere during last course. She usually loved to gloat to them when she got to miss French class while they were stuck there.
"I wonder where she is?" Koutoku asked his brother quietly.
"I don't know. We can try calling at her place tonight," Shunkaku suggested.
"Good idea."
They went back to work as soon as they noticed the teacher was glaring at them.

**********The Bus Ride Home**********

"Imotou-chan?"
Kourin looked up as she heard her brother's voice. Ryuuen and Genrou had mounted on the bus, and Ryuuen looked pissed.
"Nan?"
"Shunkaku and Koutoku told me you weren't at your fourth course. Why is that?" He demanded.
"I.. just wasn't feeling very well," She answered. It wasn't a complete lie, but it wasn't completely truthful, either.
Ryuuen regarded her with a look that said he didn't believe her, but then decided not to say anything and just sat down in front of her, Genrou following. Kourin looked at they're backs as more students began to pile onto the bus. A shiver went up her spine. The cold feeling still hadn't left her. And yet, the nurse hadn't found anything wrong with her, and assured her it was probably just nerves, since the mid-terms were coming up soon. Then she merely told her to get a lot of rest. Kourin somehow doubted that would help.
The bus began moving and Kourin looked out the window at the passing scenery. She hadn't mentioned the flashes to the nurse, and had only spoken about the icy feeling she had felt. She had a feeling that the nurse would have thought she was crazy had she said anything else.
Her mind was consumed in thought during the entire ride home. She didn't even notice when they were in front of her house until Ryuuen told her to get up, snapping her out of her reverie.
They got off the bus and silently made their way to the front door. Once inside, Kourin sat down on the couch in the living room.
"Do you have any homework?" Ryuuen asked.
She shook her head, staring at the wall blankly. Ryuuen sat down next to her and put his hand on her forehead, "My God! You're freezing! You should see a doctor!"
"I already went to see the nurse at school. She said it's probably just nerves, because of the mid-terms."
"Bull-shit! Something's wrong, and there's no way it's nerves. You're never nervous about any kind of test!"
"I know that," She snapped, then sighed, "Actually, I didn't tell the nurse everything."
Ryuuen frowned. The family's dog, Ashitare came into the room and Ryuuen started scratching him behind the ear, not taking his eyes off his sister. But Kourin's eyes were transfixed on the dog. She felt the icy feeling overcome her once again, and she grabbed her head and closed her eyes, trying to stop the strange flashes from coming, but to no avail.

~FLASH~
Ryuuen was on a snow covered mountain, standing in front of a large boulder. He was wearing strange cloths, almost like something from ancient China.
~FLASH~
Ryuuen was on that same mountain, but was now facing something that looked like it was half-man, half-wolf. There were red bracers on his arms, and a power seemed to be radiating from them. He attacked the wolf-man.
~FLASH~
The wolf-man was dead on the ground, and Ryuuen was gasping for breath in front of the boulder, clutching his chest. There was a huge wound underneath his heart.
~FLASH~
Ryuuen had his arms around the boulder, and it seemed as if he was trying to lift it. And then the boulder actually came out of the ground, and Ryuuen lifted it over his head. The boulder crashed down behind him.
~FLASH~
And now he was on the ground, with two people by his side. A young man with ebony hair, and a girl with auburn hair. Both were crying.
~FLASH~

And now Kourin was back in her living room, as white as a ghost. Ryuuen was shaking her shoulders, shouting her name.
"Kourin! Kourin, what's wrong? Snap out of it!"
She drew in a deep breath, and tears began falling from her eyes. She clutched the front of Ryuuen's uniform tightly, and he put his arms around her. She let herself cry. And for about half an hour, that's all that she did. Ryuuen was patient, and let her hang on to him the whole time. Finally, her sobs died down and she pulled away.
"What's wrong?" Ryuuen asked.
Kourin took a deep breath, and then started to explain.

~End of part 2~

(A/N: Well, that took me long enough to write. Anyway, in the next part we'll see Miaka, Yui, and Taka, but I don't really like them that much, so they won't be there for long. Well, please review! Compliments are welcome, constructive criticism is appreciated, and flames are used to roast marshmallows. Ja!)

~AniDragon~