Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Quick Trust; Bad Mistake? ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
In the hall, he briefly explains about the Priestess of Suzaku and the seven warriors, leaving out some key details in case her innocence was an act.

A table is set in the middle of the room they step into, rectangular in shape. One chair stands at each short end, and the long ends are adorned with four matching chairs. Beautiful posters decorate the rooms’ four walls, and a small table is situated near the door. A vase that shimmers with a radiant light holds a bouquet of flowers on the table’s surface. Six of the ten chairs are in use, and it seems all of the occupants stop their business to stare at Zoku and Tasuke. Tasuke stops before them with a grin.

Feeling suddenly very shy, Zoku wrenches her wrist free of Tasuke’s grip with an indignant growl and sidesteps behind the large man. From behind his hulking form she hears the scrape of chairs that tells her some of the people gathered had risen.

“Tasuke,” Miaka calls, partially in delight and partially in confusion. She was the one who had risen to her feet, and was now standing in front of Tasuke, trying to peer around him towards the girl. Tasuke, planting his fists on his hips, shakes his head to stop Miaks’s search. Obediently, she abandons her task, instead standing in front of him impatiently. “I see she woke up,” Miaka announces, at a loss for words.

“She did,” Tasuke replies sarcastically, and Miaka sighs.

“Oh be quiet,” she mutters, and Tasuke grins. Nuriko, who’d risen to her feet with Miaka, steps towards the girl. With a squeak, Zoku grabs onto the back of Tasuke’s tunic, pressing her face into his back as if she could hide.

“Well she doesn’t seem at all shy,” Nuriko announces sarcastically, eyes narrowing in exasperation. The comment causes Zoku to bristle, lifting her gaze enough to plant Nuriko with one scornful eye. Tasuke pounds a fist to her head to quiet her, one eye closing against her growing rage. Grunting in surprise, Nuriko halts for a moment before her arms begin to quiver in rage. Leaping up, Nuriko roars and prepares to leap at Tasuke. It was, of course, only in play, but to Zoku, who had never met these people before, it was looking as though Nuriko was preparing to attack Tasuke.

Zoku lifts her head up slightly, fixing both eyes on Nuriko. Her grip on Tasuke’s shirt tightens as her gaze narrows. Nuriko freezes in place suddenly, her features a mask of shock. Crossing his arms over his chest and waiting for the attack that would never come, Tasuke closes his eyes. A sharp intake of breath from Zoku startles him, and his eyes fly open. There was Nuriko, hovering before him with one leg and one arm raised in the air.

Miaka pokes Nuriko’s arm sheepishly, while Tamahome, standing at Miaka’s back protectively, blinks at the woman’s still form. Hotohori leans back in his seat, eyes wide as he watches Nuriko. Mitsukake fixes Zoku with a thoughtful look. Tasuke’s confused movements had slightly exposed her, though she continues to grip Tasuke’s back.

Rising to his feet with a frown, Chiriko shuffles over to Nuriko, squinting at her. Though her body was motionless, Nuriko’s eyes dart around in obvious confusion, face frozen in a look of unleashed fury. The young genius makes a thoughtful sound before nodding conclusively.

“She has been frozen in place.” The entire group goes still. Tamahome is the one to break the silence, glancing sidelong at Chiriko.

“Thank you Mr. Obvious,” he grunts. Chiriko merely laughs, as Tamahome folds his arms behind his back. Mitsukake, who had been quiet up until this point, chuckles.

“It’s alright, child, she won’t hurt you,” Mitsukake says, addressing Zoku. His voice startles her, causing Zoku to glance away from Nuriko towards Mitsukake, studying him silently. Instantly, Nuriko falls to the floor with a crash.

“Nuriko!” Miaka says, kneeling down next to the cross-dresser. The woman raises herself up onto her elbows, working her jaw.

“Man that hurt! Alright,” she says angrily, darting to her feet, “who did that?!” Her gaze is searching as she peers around at everyone. Everyone, excluding Mitsukake, shrugs. Seeing the break in the shrugging trend, Nuriko makes a triumphant sound before darting over to Mitsukake. She places one hand on his shoulder, the other clenching into a fist. “You got something to tell me, eh, buddy?” she taunts him. Mitsukake shrugs.

“No,” he replies, voice monotone and soft. He glances up from the table over towards Zoku. The girl’s hands still clutch Tasuke’s tunic, and her curious eyes peer around the boys arm in his direction. When she sees Mitsukake’s gaze on her, she winces as if struck, though the look soon melts into a mask of stubborn pride. “But I think she does.” Mitsukake gestures towards Zoku. Blinking in surprise, Nuriko glances over at the figure huddling behind Tasuke.

Zoku prepares to sidestep behind Tasuke again, but stops herself with a grimace. Instead she steps forward so she’s standing beside Tasuke, features hard as stone as she swallows against the sudden fear that begins to rise inside her. Hands shaking, she releases his tunic, instead grabbing onto the collar of her own simple gray robes. “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to hurt you…” she says in a soft yet bold voice. Nuriko gapes at Zoku, while Chichiri rubs his chin in thought.

“That was a pretty powerful spell, ya know. How’d you do it?” he asks her curiously. Tamahome blinks, letting his arms fall to his sides. Hotohori closes his eyes with a smile, resting his elbows on the desk and clasping his hands together in front of his face. Zoku merely frowns.

“I dunno, actually,” she replies with a nervous laugh. Tasuke glances at her from the corner of his eye, resting his hands on his hips. Zoku, feeling his gaze, glances over at him. He offers her a reassuring smile. Taking in a deep breath, Zoku turns back towards the group with a stiff bow.

“I really am sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused- I mean, you deserved it!” she adds stubbornly, gaze traveling up from the ground to glare at Nuriko. The group shares a look. Then, stifling a giggle, Miaka steps forward and taps Zoku on the back with a bright smile.

“That’s alright! No need to worry, not at all!” Miaka adds with a giggle. Blinking in surprise, Zoku glances over at Miaka quizzically as she straightens. With a smile Miaka outstretches her hand towards Zoku.

“I’m Miaka Yuki, the Priestess of Suzaku,” she says in greeting, a kind smile on her face. The gentle look in Miaka’s piercing golden eyes comforts Zoku instantly. A hesitant smile turns up her lips as Zoku grasps Miaka’s hands in her own.

“Priestess of Suzaku?” Zoku replies in awe, the title softening her strict features as she glances sidelong at Tasuke to assure the title. With a smirk, he nods. Returning her gaze to Miaka, Zoku smiles brightly, giving the girls hand a firm shake. “It’s nice to meet you, Miaka! I’m Zoku.” Tasuke doesn’t fail to notice that she had left out the part of not knowing her real name. He decides not to intervene.

Releasing Zoku’s hand, Miaka beams happily, grasping Zoku’s arm. “Same goes for me! Now come on, let’s go get you cleaned up! I’ll find you a pretty dress to wear while you’re here!” Miaka announces. A pleased shriek echoes through the room, as Nuriko suddenly bombards the two, enveloping them both in a large hug.

“Don’t forget about me, Miaka kikki kakka!” she says in a squeaky voice. The thought of beautiful silk dresses makes her eyes shimmer in delight. Noticing Zoku’s quizical look, Nuriko places a hand to her mouth in embarrassment as she laughs. “Sorry about that girly. I’m Nuriko, of the Suzaku Seven.” Features shifting, Zoku nods with a look of realization.

“That’s alright. I guess…Well, I’m…I’m sorry for freezing you in place earlier.” A sweat drop rolls down her forehead with a sheepish look, as a spooked look crosses Nuriko’s features. Zoku waves away her doubts with a nervous laugh. “I really am sorry.” Nuriko forces a laugh.

“We’ll be fine…” Nuriko replies. Suddenly she grows serious, folding her arms over her chest and leaning against Zoku’s shoulder. “…as long as you don’t try anything like that again,” she finishes, eyes closing solemnly. A blank look obscures Zoku’s features as she nods absently.

“I promise?” she replies, voice uncertain. Bounding to her feet, Nuriko pats Zoku on the shoulder with a bone rattling laugh.

“Good! Now that that’s settled, what did I hear about dresses, Miaka?” As Nuriko asks this, a dreamy expression drifts across her lavender eyes. Zoku watches the woman curiously, as Miaka perks up with a cry.

“Alright! Let’s go! This’ll be so much fun! We can give you an entire make over, starting with your hair.” Miaka announces. The trio freeze. Nuriko glowers accusingly at Miaka, while Zoku prods at her bangs.

“What’s that supposed to mean? Does it really look that bad?” Zoku snaps with a glower. A blush coating her cheeks, Miaka waves her hands about frantically with a laugh.

“Oh no no no! I was just joking- Oh let’s just go!” Miaka says in exasperation, grabbing Zoku’s arm. Nuriko grabs the other, and together they whisk Zoku out of the room. Their enthusiastic chattering can be heard retreating down the hall.

Tasuke continues to stand at the other door, watching their retreating forms with a thoughtful look. Noticing his friend’s stillness, Tamahome creeps up on Tasuke. The other boy doesn’t move. Tamahome leaps forward with a smirk, slapping his fist flat against Tasuke’s back. The boy jerks forward, features glowing bright red with anger.

“WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!” Tasuke bellows, whirling around to face the cackling Tamahome. The young’s boys’ features are gloating as he places his fists to his hips. At Tasuke’s accusing glare, Tamahome glances towards the others innocently.

“Oh nothing,” he replies in an absent voice. Tasuke’s eyebrow twitches, right before he leaps forward with an animal like growl, tackling Tamahome to the floor. The two begin wrestling around on the floor. Finding no need to stay in the conference room, Hotohori rises to his feet, intentionally ignoring the two boys on the floor.

“I take my leave, friends. If you need me, you can reach me in my chambers. I think I’m going to find where the Shin Zao might have gone.” The emperor announces as he turns towards the door. Chichiri rises to his feet as well, glancing towards Tamahome and Tasuke with a sheepish frown.

“I’ll…come with you, your Highness,” he says as he strides out of the room with Hotohori. Chiriko continues to watch the two, features a mask of confusion. Since Chiriko was still in the room, so was Mitsukake, still sitting in the same chair.

Blinking, Chiriko bends closer to the two boys, listening to their yelps growls and taunts thrown back and forth. “What are they doing?” he asks Mitsukake in wonder. The healer glances up from the table with a sigh.

“Nothing important. Come, Chiriko, help me mend the Priestess’ clothing.” Rising to his feet, Mitsukake gestures for Chiriko to follow as he strides noiselessly from the room. Turning about, Chiriko beams up at Mitsukake.

“Ok!” He hurries out after the large man. Right before he leaves the room, Chiriko turns back to see Tamahome sitting triumphantly on Tasuke’s back, cackling while the man beneath him pounds his fists on the floor and demands to be let up. Shaking his head with a sigh, Chiriko prays to skip that part of adolescence himself and steps out of the room.