Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Devious Schemes ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
soft glow illuminates the large room in which Yui, the Priestess of Seiryu, sits, gazing at the large golden statue of the dragon Seiryu. The glow resonates from a bowl in the center of the room that holds in it’s cup a blazing inferno, that burns with a blue light. The areas not touched by the fires light are cast into darkness, for there are no windows in the small chapel.

The glow casts blue rays along Yui’s features, as she gazes thoughtfully into the fire. ‘Miaka,’ the priestess of Seiryu thinks, cupping her hands in her lap. She sits on her knees before the flames. ‘Miaka, what are you up to? I know you don’t have the Shin Zao. If you did, you would have used it by now, and I would know.’ A smirk slides across her lips. ‘You’d probably wish for something foolish, like for us to be friends again.’ The smirk is obscured by an angry frown. ‘Well that’s not gonna happen, Miaka! I will never forgive you for what happened to me. As long as I have these scars…´

Raising one hand from her lap, Yui turns her wrist over to glance at the pale scar running vertically along her wrist. Her eyes narrow. ‘As long as I have these scars…’ Her thoughts are cut off as Nakago, of the Seiryu Seven, steps into the chapel. Stepping forward, Nakago bows his head in respect.

“Forgive my interruption, Lady Yui, but I have word of the Suzaku seven,” he says in a soft, cynical voice. Yui draws her gaze away from her wrist, staring into the blazing fire before her. Slowly, she lets her hand fall back into her lap.

“What is it?” she asks in a weary voice. Nodding his head, Nakago steps closer to Yui, staring towards the fire as well.

“I have just heard that another girl has arrived in Konan. She must be important, for the Suzaku warriors made a big fuss when they found her. The girl has no memory of her past, and says her name is ‘Zoku’.” Nakago relays his information without faltering. Sighing in exasperation, Yui closes her eyes, embracing the feel of the hot coals against her eyelids.

“What does that have to do with me and Miaka, Nakago?” she asks scornfully. Nakago bows his head once more, glancing down at the lady Yui.

“She has incredible spiritual powers, my lady. She does not belong to Suzaku, either. In fact, it is uncertain where her loyalties lay. If we were to capture her, bring her to our side…the Seiryu warriors would benefit, my lady.” Yui still couldn’t see how that would cut Miaka like a sword. She turns towards Nakago to say so, but he cuts off her comment by raising his hand. “It seems Miaka is close to this girl, this Zoku. If you take Zoku away from her, then she will feel loneliness,” Nakago says in a soft voice.

Gasping, Yui cranes her neck around to peer up at the general standing behind her. The image of Tamahome flashes across her mind. The plan seems to shatter before her. Spirits sunken once more, Yui shakes her head with a displeased sound.

“It won’t work, Nakago. Miaka has Tamahome. She won’t be heart broken over a person like this Zoku,” Yui points out. The thought of Tamahome still hurts Yui, so she tries to think of other things. Like how to make Miaka pay. A chuckle from Nakago startles her.

“I have also heard, my lady, that Miaka is to stay away from Tamahome if she wishes to summon Suzaku. So you see…they can only be friends. If they get too close, the lady Miaka will be deemed ‘impure’ and will not be able to summon Suzaku.” Nakago’s voice is soft, deadly. Yui knows that voice well. He’s planning something.

“What are you planning, Nakago?” Yui asks warily. A smirk crosses Nakago’s features.