Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Hasty departure ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Miaka sits on the mattress in her room, legs crossed one over the other in front of her. Her hands rest in her lap, as she beams pleasantly at the sight before her. Zoku stands before Miaka, her mousy brown hair shining despite the small light the lamp offers. Two sapphire blue tear drops are nestled comfortably in the girl’s small ears. A long flowing robe obscures Zoku’s form from view, though it somehow manages to fit comfortably around her well matured chest and her femininively curved hips. The robe is ruby in color, with soft blue outlines and blue vines running up the sleeves and dancing along the hem of the dress. A sash of matching blue ties around Zoku’s slender waist.

Holding up a sapphire pendent outlined in gold, Nuriko peers around the precious jewel at Miaka. Zoku, chuckling gently, does a little turn n front of the Priestess with a smile, showing off her new looks. It was good to see Miaka smile again. After she’d head from Taitscoon that she was to stay away from Tamahome, she’d been devastated. Nuriko could tell. She lost her natural perkiness. This was the first time she’d seen Miaka truly happy.

Zoku, realizing that Nuriko was giving her an awkward look, stops her modeling to glance at the woman curiously. “Can I…help you?” she asks sarcastically. Eyes widening, Nuriko barks out a nervous laugh as she strides forward with the pendent.

“Yes, you can! Try this on,” Nuriko says in delight as she holds the pendent up to Zoku’s neck. Miaka claps her hands together at her chest cheerfully, beaming.

“Oh that will look gorgeous, Nuriko!” Miaka breathes in awe, smiling at Zoku. The young woman returns the smile, taking the pendent tentatively. An uncertain light sparks in her eyes. Noticing this spark, Miaka rises to her feet, striding over to Zoku with a lopsided smile.

“What is it?” she asks. Glancing up from the dangling jewel, Zoku looks Miaka over with a sigh.

“Are you sure you want me to have this? I mean,” she shifts her gaze over to Nuriko, “It’s so beautiful. I might lose it, or worse break it.” Uncertainty coats her tongue, as evident as a fruit in a rice bowl. Miaka watches Zoku closely. The girl looked genuinely worried. ‘Is she that clumsy?’

Nuriko steps in with a curt laugh. “Of course we want you to have it, dummy! Would we get it for you if we didn’t?” she adds with a smirk. Zoku still doesn’t look satisfied, eying the pendent as though it were a snake. Miaka smiles reassuringly.

“Think of it as a mark of our friendship,” she adds pleasantly. Nuriko perks up, agreeing hole heartedly with Miaka’s words. A bright grin dissipates Zoku’s doubt, a stubborn light igniting in her eyes as she grabs Miaka in a bone crushing hug.

“Of course! What was I thinking. I wouldn’t break it, and besides, it’ll look good on me,” she says with a pleasant chuckle. Not expecting Zoku’s sudden movements, Miaka stumbles backwards at the girl’s weight. With a cry, the two crash to the ground. Nuriko gasps, kneeling down next to the two.

“Are you two alright?” Miaka continues to lie there in a dazed way, with Zoku on top of her. Raising her head, Zoku blinks and glances up towards Miaka. Blinking as well, Miaka’s gaze travels down until it connects with the bright eyes of Zoku. The two burst into laughter, startling Nuriko. Snorting, Nuriko crosses her arms over her chest with a scornful look. “Sheesh! You two had me worried!” she taunts.

“Oh come one,” Miaka laughs, reaching up to pull Nuriko down with them. Squealing, Nuriko pushes them away as the two girls try to bear hug her together. In the end, Nuriko goes down in a fit of squealing and yelping, as the two girls, giggling, crush her between the two of them.

A soft knock on the door disrupts their play. Tamahome stands at the door with Tasuke at his back, peering in at the girls with a bland expression. Tasuke wears the same befuddled look. Releasing Nuriko, Miaka sits up on her knees and glances towards the two boys. Nuriko simply continues to lie on the ground, since Zoku sits comfortably on her chest.

“Tamahome! Tasuke! What are you doing here?” Miaka asks cheerfully, brushing aside a rogue bang. A lop sided smirk crosses Tamahome’s features as he leans against the door frame.

“We came in to check on you,” he falters. Miaka frowns, placing a finger to her chin thoughtfully. Tasuke laughs, flicking his hand as if he was flicking off a fly.

“Heard some noise and thought a bunch of elephants had taken over the palace!” he announces. The three girls glower accusingly at him. Tamahome, lacking the desire to die by girls, steps aside so Tasuke suffers the full force of the girls gazes’.

Finally realizing the severity of the situation, Tasuke turns as if to leave. That is when the girls move. Miaka leaps forward first, tackling Tasuke to the ground to cut off his escape. Tamahome steps out of the doorway, watching in amusement as Nuriko forcefully drags Tasuke back into the room. Then Tamahome notices something. Zoku continues to stand back instead of joining the girls in their fun. She rises to her feet and fixes her robes before plopping down on the bed, watching the group with a waning smile, one hand propping herself up on the bed while the other rests comfortably in her lap.

After a long moment, Tasuke bellows his admit to defeat. Miaka was pinching his cheeks, and Nuriko was sitting on his back. He was lying face down on the floor.

“Good boy,” Nuriko coos, ruffling Tasuke’s hair. The boy mutters something at the carpet, but Nuriko doesn’t bother to try to hear him. Giggling, Miaka releases Tasuke’s cheeks and rises to her feet.

“Miaka,” Tamahome says. There was a summons in his voice. Turning, Miaka trots towards him with a smile. They move to embrace, when Miaka stops suddenly. Remembering himself, Tamahome lets his arms fall to his side, head cocked to the side.

“Did you forget about tonight?” he asks in amusement. Miaka merely stares blankly at him. Chuckling, Tamahome leans back against the desk, arms crossed over his chest. “The market?” Features brightening suddenly, Miaka snaps her fingers together.

“Oh that’s right! We were gonna go shopping tonight!” Grinning, Miaka turns towards Nuriko. She was primping her hair, which had become strewn all over the place with their little fight. “Do you want to come, Nuriko?” Nuriko glances up from the compact mirror she holds in her hand, blinking at Miaka. The thought of shopping finally clicks.

“Of course!” Nuriko cries, rushing over to Miaka and taking her arm in her own. Laughing, Miaka glances over at Zoku with a smile. The girl fingers the pendent hanging around her neck, brushing a finger over the top.

“What about you, Zoku?” Miaka laughs. Glancing up from the pendent, Zoku studies first Miaka then Nuriko.

“No thanks,” she says with a snort and shake of her head. Miaka frowns, but Nuriko merely shrugs.

“Suit yourself…now don’t stay up too late! Come on, Tamakins,” crows Nuriko as she drags Tamahome and Miaka out the room. With a laugh they hurriedly say their goodbyes before they disappear outside. Rising from the bed with a blank look, Zoku walks over to Tasuke, who was lying on the ground with his chin propped in his hands.