Gankutsuou Fan Fiction ❯ Gankutsuou Reborn ❯ Eugenie's Surprise ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
GANKUTSUOU REBORN
© December 22, 2005 By Rory V. Pascual


CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Eugenie's Surprise

When his three soft knocks on the door remained unanswered, Albert ventured to enter his lover's chamber. The young envoy spotted Etienne at once. The singer was sitting sideways on a sun seat, his long legs stretched out. His chin was laid on the balcony ledge, cradled by his folded arms. Etienne was gazing sadly into the distant city, his long hair flying in the cold breeze.

"Oh, Etienne!" Albert was worried sick about his lover. Ever since that night at the opera, all the good spirits seemed to have deserted the singer. Rather than entertain guests, he would stay up in his room, lost in deep thought.

Albert was virtually unaware that the depressed young man he was gazing at with deep concern was not the Nightingale, but the entity known as Gankutsuou.

In truth, Gankutsuou had been struggling for the past four days to coax Etienne out of his self-imposed isolation, but the singer would not respond to his pleas. Worse, the Nightingale was becoming more daring, poking in places inside his mind. The entity had to seal those memories away, which only infuriated the singer.

"What are you hiding from me, Gankutsuou?" Etienne would often rail at the entity he shared his body with. "What is it that you're so afraid that I would find out?"

Gankutsuou buried his face deep into his arms that only his sad eyes and the tip of his nose were visible. What am I going to do? If I tell you the truth, we might lose our second chance at happiness.

What was making this situation unbearable for the entity was Albert. Although, he will not deny, that he was very happy to spend more time with the mortal, Gankutsuou knew that what Albert was pining for was his precious Nightingale. He was in love with Etienne, not with him. The entity dreaded what would happen if Albert found out that the 'Ruler of the Cavern' still lived.

However, it pained Gankutsuou even more to see Albert fumbling in the dark for the reason for his lover's depression. He knew the young ambassador was standing in the middle of the room behind him, wrestling with the desire to speak with him or to just leave him alone.

Something white and cold fell on the tip of his nose. Gankutsuou lifted his head to see tiny snowflakes falling from the sky.

:Snow…: The entity gazed in quiet awe at the white puffs floating down upon the city.

:…?Snow?…:

At that quiet inquiry, Gankutsuou's eyelids fluttered close and he reached out to the sulking Nightingale before he could return to his sanctuary.

Etienne never expected actual physical contact inside his mind. Great was his surprise when a cold hand gripped his wrist, preventing him from retreating. He whirled at the entity, ready to give him a sharp tongue-lashing, but he stopped as he beheld Gankutsuou's face for the first time.

The entity looked exactly like him, except that he was older and that his hair was tinged with gray. On his forehead glowed those familiar intricate pink marks. Even Gankutsuou was just as surprised that he had actually caught the singer.

:That's enough, Etienne,: Gankutsuou begged the Nightingale in earnest. :Can't you see how much this is hurting Albert?:

:And whose fault do you think it is?:
Etienne asked in turn, his words heavy with anger. :Who's the one who's been keeping secrets from me in the first place?:

:I'm doing it to protect you.:

:Are you protecting me or yourself?:
Etienne shook his head in frustration. :I'm afraid, Gankutsuou. Whatever it is that you've been hiding from me, I'm terrified that it might become the cause of my being parted from Albert. I've been seeing…visions, just glimpses. Of Albert, of strange men… Something is telling me that I'm supposed to know them, that they did something terrible in the past. That I did something just as bad.:

:You're getting your memories mixed up with mine.:

:Then you
did know Albert in the past.:

:Yes, and the less you know about it the better.:
The singer was about to argue with him, but the entity raised his hand. :Please, Etienne. I truly understand how you feel, but it's something I don't want to discuss. Now…is not a good time….:

:But what if your past catches up with you? Benedetto, and that voodoo priestess Marie Laveau… What then? Are you telling me that I should just sit back and do nothing?:

:I'll do everything in my power to protect you. That's a promise, and that includes keeping…things…from you that could harm both you and Albert.:
Gankutsuou quietly admitted, :I've been thinking these past days…that maybe I should move on. I've been causing you a lot of pain. It hurts just as badly to see Albert so sad as he is right now. I'm…going to figure out a way so that I could separate my essence from your body.:

Etienne was taken aback by the entity's plan. :Gankutsuou, I didn't mean that I wanted to get rid of you. I only wish that you'd be more honest with me.:

:Something that I could not do. Let's face it, Etienne. I'm also endangering your life, and…:

Gankutsuou's eyes flew wide as the Nightingale gave him a tight hug.

:Don't you ever think of leaving me,: the singer cried. :I know that I had hurt your feelings as well. I could feel your pain, but I kept on ignoring it. If you can't tell me the truth now, I'll wait until you're ready. But don't you ever say that you'll leave me. Next to Albert, you're the first friend I've ever had. I don't want to lose you.:

The entity's eyes filled with tears. :As long as you can endure my presence and my secrecy, I swear I won't leave you.: Gankutsuou pulled away, a relieved smile on his handsome face. :Now go. Albert's worried about you.:

:Don't you mean 'us'?:

:It's you he loves, Etienne. He doesn't love me.:

Before Etienne could argue that fact, the entity retreated into his mind, just as a thick coat was draped over his shoulders. He tilted his head backwards to see Albert's bright blue eyes gazing down at him.

"You're going to catch a cold if you stay out here," Albert murmured, a gentle smile curling up his lips.

Seeing the worry lines on Albert's brow, it was only then that the singer realized the trouble he had put his lover through.

With a choked cry, Etienne flung his arms around Albert's neck. "God, I missed you! Please forgive me, Albert! I promise I'll never leave you alone again!"

The envoy laughed at that surprising outburst. "What are you talking about? Etienne, you never left the house in two days. You must have been dreaming."

"Yes, I guess must have," said Etienne, a charming blush coloring his cheeks. "I felt like I've been gone for ages."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have rushed you into attending the opera like that. Signore Verano even had to pressure you into singing that night. I should've had the sense not to do that to you also, knowing that you were not ready."

"Don't worry. I'll pace myself from now on." The Nightingale stretched his arms out and yawned. "I'll be staying right here in this room for a whole week and just read 'Le Fantome de l'Opera'."

"Read?" More lines appeared on Albert's forehead. "Is that all you're going to do?"

Etienne chuckled as he clutched the lapel of his lover's shirt and slowly pulled him down. Murmuring huskily, he said, "Oh, Monsieur Herrera! I only read during the day. My nights are reserved especially for you."

Those enticing lips tantalized Albert. "Good! I don't want Monsieur Erik stealing away my quality time, especially since I've been a very patient celibate for the past four days."

"Hmm… I think Monsieur Erik could wait a day longer."

Before the two lovers could kiss, however, there was a loud bang downstairs followed by an outraged shriek.

The door opened and Bertuccio peeked inside. "Excuse me, Albert, but there's a rampaging pianist here to see you."

Just as Bertuccio said this, the door was flung wide open to reveal a very angry Eugenie bearing a briefcase in her right hand and a crumpled letter in her left.

Throwing the letter at a startled Albert, she ranted, "That pompous ass! After all those rehearsals, he has all the nerve to say that he's quitting my production, saying that it's too scandalous for an artiste of his stature!"

Albert tried to smoothen the wrinkled letter so he could read it, as a bewildered Etienne inquired, "And the 'pompous ass' in question is?"

"Guillermo Verano, who else?" Before the shocked eyes of the two men, Eugenie started pacing back and forth, ranting like a lunatic. "Who does he think he is anyway? He is certainly no Ludivigo Cassals!" She let out an evil laugh. "Besides, who says my production will flounder without him, especially when I have someone who's a hell of a lot better than he."

Haydee, who had been napping in the next room, appeared. A curious Baptistin had also come up behind her. Patting the mischievous rogue, she suggested, "Please contact the Paris Asylum, will you, Baptistin, and inquire if they are missing any patients?"

With dramatic flair, Eugenie spun on her toe, took a step forward, and pointed her suitcase at a stunned Nightingale. "YOU!"

"Huh?" Etienne was blinking in utter confusion. "What about me?"

"You, Etienne Delacroix, are going to be the star of my production!"

As Eugenie cackled like an evil witch at that announcement, everyone in the room spoke in unison, "WHAT?"

~~~~~~~~~~

"Eugenie? What…is…this?"

Eugenie snatched the music score that Albert was scorching with his eyes. "Give that back! What does a peon like you know about music anyway?"

"Well, the melodies and rhythms of some of these songs seem rather…rambunctious," Haydee cautiously offered her dubious critique. "But I think Albert was talking about the lyrics."

Etienne, who was humming and tapping his foot to one score in the far corner, suggested to the pretty pianist, "I think you should change one line here. I think it would sound better if you change it to…" He then proceeded to sing the lyrics of the love song, " 'Douse the flames of passion that consume me…' "

Albert swiftly clapped his hands over his ears. "Enough! Etienne Delacroix, you stop singing that…that…Hell, I don't know what it is!"

Baptistin's broad grin filled the lower half of his face as he laid the tray of tea down. "Sounds like a pretty horny song if you ask me."

Nodding vigorously in complete agreement, Albert declared, "You took the words right out of my mouth, Baptistin."

The Count's former right hand man made a quick escape as Eugenie threw him a sharp glare. Steam was practically coming out of the pianist's ears. "What's wrong with my songs? It's perfect for the plot of my opera!"

"That's exactly what I find questionable – your opera's plot! I mean, a story about a…a masked Count who uses a male prostitute as his tool for revenge against the men who have betrayed him?"

"So what's the problem with it? It's a perfectly engrossing tale, especially since you have the prostitute in question falling in love with him and trying to redeem him."

"You haven't been listening to what you just said. Let me enumerate the problems for you. One, the two leads are both men…"

"If this city does not tolerate homosexuality, then Le Queen wouldn't be packed every night."

"Two, the music is not standard opera."

"I deliberately composed the score to be as upbeat and decadent as Luna's popular songs. This opera is more for the youth of today than the genteel society."

"Third, the two leads not only kiss, but they also have sex…on stage!"

"It has all been tastefully choreographed into a sensual dance by our choreographer. And so what if they kiss? Didn't you kiss Etienne in public just four days ago? It was even plastered all over the scandal sheets!"

Albert grabbed Eugenie's arm and jerked her close. He hissed in her ear, "I'll give you the most important reason of all. You're hitting too close to home. This Count character resembles…him…too much. And what about Aimé? You damned well that Etienne was…"

The singer overheard what his lover was struggling to say. "Albert, it's all right," Etienne said reassuringly. "I feel absolutely no shame about my past. That's who I was. Why should I deny it?"

Lucien and Beauchamp entered at that moment. Both men were lugging in their arms what were obviously all of the Paris newspapers that have been released that morning.

"I'm glad you said that, Etienne," Lucien began, as they spread out all the papers on the table, "because the press is having a field day about your past profession."

Sure enough, the front page of one tabloid had typed in big bold letters the headline: " 'Paris' New Sensation: A Happy Hooker?' "

Etienne snorted in disgust. "I may have been a hooker, but I was never happy."

Albert gave Beauchamp a suspicious glare. "Is this your doing?"

The journalist was deeply offended by that question. "Of course not! For your information, the minute I got wind that this trash was going to come out today, I wrote a four-page exclusive about Etienne's hardships at La Decadenza and the major role that he played in the capture of the white slavery ring." He added proudly, "Our publication sold out the minute it hit the stands, not like these rags."

Lucien patted the Nightingale and gave him a wink. "When you're free, I'm taking you out shopping. I just received a letter that you will be one of the recipients of the Legion Of Honor Medal this year."

Although surprised, Etienne was both delighted and humbled by the news. "Me? A hero? But I don't think I'm deserving…"

"You saved lives, Etienne, and at great risk to your own," Beauchamp confirmed, grinning. "No one deserves it better than you."

"But…" Albert waved to all the newspapers. "Who could've done this?"

"It's that Signore Verano, isn't it?" asked Haydee, turning to Eugenie.

"Yes, it is Verano." Eugenie plopped down huffily in the armchair beside Albert's. "He and those rabid dogs he calls his supporters intend to destroy Etienne before he could even launch his singing career."

"Oh yeah!" Lucien suddenly remembered. "There's a blind item about you and your little opera in the 'Theater Voice'. Something about talented pianist and composer Eugenie Danglars coming up with, and I quote, 'an obscene drivel disguised as a classic opera.' "

Mention of that quote caused Eugenie to blow her stack completely. "That's it! I'm suing that son of a bitch! His contract forbids him from speaking about my opera!"

Beauchamp shook his head. "I'm afraid you can't do that. As Lucien had said, it's a blind item, not a direct quote from Verano. You can't sue if you don't know the source of this information."

"What are we going to do?" Haydee inquired, now truly concerned. "Even I find the antics of this Verano truly despicable!"

Etienne, who had been mainly a passive observer in their discussion, commented in a low voice, "I don't see what's the problem. All we need to do is put up the production and do our best."

All turned to gape at the singer.

"I don't think this is a wise idea," Haydee put in. "With this smear campaign going on, shouldn't it be best to let the furor die down first?"

"Believe me, competing against Signore Verano is the last thing I have on my mind. However, I do not approve of his methods of destroying the dreams of budding talents." The Nightingale gave Eugenie a determined smile. "I cannot promise that the production will be a success, but I will give it my very best."

"Oh, thank you!" Eugenie exclaimed in relief, with a clap of her hands.

"When is the premiere of your opera going to be anyway?" Beauchamp inquired. "Scoop the details to me so I can give it advance publicity."

That question caused a sheepish grin to go up the pianist's lips, which only served to rouse Albert's suspicions.

"What's with that look on your face, Eugenie?" he inquired, his brow wrinkling up.

"He he he. Actually, the premiere is going to be on the first of January."

"What?" Haydee was flabbergasted at that reply. "That's only a month away."

"Learning the songs won't be a problem," Etienne said confidently. "I'm sure I could manage the acting and the dance scenes."

Albert's voice was low and ominous, as he interjected, "Aren't you forgetting something?"

The Nightingale thought for a moment. "No, I don't think so." He suddenly remembered Gankutsuou. Sure enough, he sensed the entity listening with intense interest to their conversation. :Is this all right with you, Gankutsuou?:

:Sure! Why not?: the entity gave his agreement, very excited. :It sounds fun! Shall I be performing too?:

Etienne laughed inwardly at that query. :That's our advantage! Two minds are better than one!:

The loud bang of Albert's hands on top of the table nearly accomplished shocking Gankutsuou out of Etienne's body.

"I never gave you MY permission to star in this bawdy show. Besides…" Albert declared vehemently, "I will not let any man kiss or make love to Etienne on the opera stage!"

"Aren't you being unreasonable, Albert?" Eugenie could barely hide her disgust at her former fiancé's jealousy fit. "It's just playacting!"

"No way!" Albert shook his head stubbornly, folding his arms over his chest. "I am not sharing Etienne's lips with others!"

"Oh, really!" Etienne said dryly. "So what are you going to do – act on the stage with me?"

The sooner those words left his lips, the singer instantly regretted what he said as a fiendish grin formed on Albert's face.

"That's an excellent idea!"

Bertuccio, Baptistin, and Ali, who were busy preparing treats for their guests, nearly dropped the china as the pianist's horrendous shriek echoed throughout the house.

"MY PRODUCTION IS RUINED!"

~~~~~~~~~~

"Albert, you're grinding again."

"Me? Grinding? I'm not doing anything. How do you know that I'm grinding you?"

Etienne freed his right hand from Albert's grasp to point to their pressed groins. "And what's that? Doesn't that look like grinding to you?"

Albert said defensively, "I am merely following instructions."

"Monsieur Patou!" the singer called out to the flamboyant choreographer with the wild purple hair. "He's doing it again!"

"Oh, Monsieur Albert!" Patou flounced over to their side. "I truly admire your grace and your verve in your performance…"

"I think he should change it to perv," an exasperated Eugenie muttered to Haydee, who nodded in assent.

"However…" the choreographer continued, "…It is sufficient that we merely preserve the illusion of intimacy. The Lambada is a sensual enough dance that we could do with less physical contact."

"But Monsieur Patou, I am totally innocent of what Etienne is accusing me of," Albert exclaimed. "Surely if I have indeed been overzealous, perhaps I could be forgiven. I am certain a novice such as myself will be more restrained on stage."

"Ah! But it is on the stage that you should unleash your passions." The choreographer clapped his hands. "Now, let's repeat the dance."

:Would you mind if I…: Gankutsuou interrupted.

:Be my guest,: said Etienne willingly, knowing that the entity had something mischievous up his sleeve.

As the two men held hands to perform that torrid South American dance once more, Gankutsuou murmured with voice dripping with desire and mastery, "Well, Albert, shall I be overzealous as well?" Reaching down, he cupped a handful of Albert's bottom and deliberately ground his pelvis onto his lover's groin.

That sudden move, though, had the opposite effect. Albert's blood was chilled by the dominant tone in the singer's voice, bringing to his mind the image of the man he had loved.

Gankutsuou realized his mistake in an instant, and he pulled away. "I'm sorry, Albert. I shouldn't have done that."

Seeing how pale the other man had become, Albert scratched his head in embarrassment. "You have nothing to be sorry for, Etienne. After that, I really learned my lesson. Shall we try again?"

Shyly, Gankutsuou went into his lover's arms. But as the music began to play, it was Albert who thrust his groin forward.

Frowning, Gankutsuou said, "I thought you learned your lesson."

"I lied," was Albert's simple answer.

The entity breathed out a sigh. :Take over for me, will you, Etienne? He really is a pervert.:

The Nightingale giggled as he and Albert launched into the Lambada. :But a lovable one.:

They were halfway into the dance when they heard the pitter-patter of approaching tiny footsteps. Both Albert and Etienne looked down to behold Jacques and Clementine grinning up at them.

"CHILDREN!" Etienne exclaimed in shock, pushing Albert away.

Giggling, Clementine told her little brother, "Uncle Albert's being a pervert again."

"Yeah," Jacques agreed wholeheartedly.

A very embarrassed Maximilien ran over to retrieve his wayward children. "I am so sorry that my children interrupted your rehearsals. They wanted to see Etienne and…" Unable to contain himself, the former soldier yanked Albert aside. "What was that dance? That's not something you show children!"

"How'd we know you were coming?" Albert cried as the irate father began throttling him.

With arms akimbo, Etienne smiled down at the twins. "And what are you two doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in Marseilles?"

"We're staying in Mama's mansion here in Paris," Clementine replied. "We plan to make a little money this Christmas by going caroling…"

"Oh, that's very nice!"

Jacques pointed a finger at the Nightingale. "…And you're coming with us!"

Etienne was taken aback by that exuberant command.

"Now, now, kids," Eugenie approached them, flapping her right hand. "Etienne's very busy rehearsing for a show this New Year."

The little boy's lips jutted out in a pout. "It didn't look that way to me. It looks like he and Uncle Albert are getting horny again."

"Jacques Morrel!" Maximilien exclaimed, a now insensate Albert in his hands. "What did your mother tell you about your language?"

But the children wrapped their arms stubbornly around Etienne's long legs.

"Don't be greedy, Aunt Eugenie. It's just for one night," Clementine argued hotly. "We certainly can't ask Papa to sing with us. He sounds like a moose in heat. No one will give us money."

"Now, you two," Etienne chided them. "That's not a nice thing to say about your father."

True enough, Maximilien had burst into tears at his daughter's remark, while Albert, who was massaging his aching neck, was glaring at him.

"Oh please, Etienne!" the children whined and wheedled, using all the persuasive powers that they possess. "Please say you'll come!"

The Nightingale's eyebrows lifted as he looked questioningly at the choreographer and Eugenie.

Monsieur Patou snickered as he glanced at the pianist. "Well, you have been wearing Monsieur Etienne down. One night won't make any difference. I've never seen a fast learner as he."

Eugenie let out a defeated groan. "Oh, all right! And I had hoped that you would make your singing debut on the stage, certainly not singing Christmas carols in the streets of Paris."

"Thanks, Eugenie!" Etienne said in gratitude, as the twins let out happy whoops and gave him ecstatic hugs.

~~~~~~~~~~

"We Three Kings of Orient Are
Bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain
Following yonder Star…"

With a shake of his head, Etienne pressed the heel of his hand to his aching brow. "Why did they have to tag along?" he bewailed.

Caroling at the gates of one mansion with the exuberance of braying mules were Albert, Maximilien and Baptistin. They were swaying, arm in arm, as they sang. Bertuccio, who was standing beside a lamppost on the opposite side of the street, was too shame-faced to join them.

Etienne's group of little carolers, consisting of noble children bearing drums, flutes and ocarinas, were throwing sharp darts at the three off-key men with their beady eyes.

:Good grief!: Gankutsuou could not stop himself from commenting. :No wonder Eugenie was against Albert singing on stage! He is a much better dancer than he is a singer.:

:They certainly have nerves of steel, I can tell you that,:
the singer snickered as Maximilien croaked on a high note.

"What are we going to do, Etienne?" Jacques asked forlorn. "At this rate, we won't be making any money!"

Salvation, however, came in the form of a high-heeled shoe that hit the noisy soldier right smack on the face. As he hit the pavement, a steamed Valentine emerged from the house.

"Maximilien Morrel, I knew that shrieking banshee could only be you, and you even brought a pair of jackasses with you," Valentine declared angrily. "Leave the caroling to the children and the professionals."

"But Valentine…" Maximilien whined, as Albert and Baptistin helped him to his feet.

"No, buts! For a man of your age and rank, I can't believe you would do something this scandalous!" Her sharp eyes focused on Albert. "You should be ashamed of yourself, Albert! With that singing voice, the Empire might think that it's a declaration of war, and you happen to be an ambassador as well."

"But, Valentine," Albert argued in his defense. "I was only chaperoning, Etienne."

"Chaperones simply accompany. They don't cause a racket!"

Seeing that Valentine was distracting their escorts, Etienne saw their opportunity to escape. He announced gleefully, "Let's try another street!" and he marched away with the children following him like ducklings.

The next street had a group of five poor children caroling, their instruments consisting only of wooden clappers and tambourines made from wire and bottle caps.

"Why don't you invite them over to join us, Claude?" Etienne whispered to the youngest son of the Viscount de Cheval.

Claude's nose rose snootily in the air. "My father told me to never associate with the riffraff."

"Those 'riffraff' are children just like you. It's not their fault that they were born poor." Etienne got down on one knee before the reluctant boys and girls. "I know that you are doing this so that you could buy new toys. Those children will be using the money they earn to help put Christmas dinner on the table."

"Etienne?" Clementine asked hesitantly. "Is it true that you were once poor yourself? That you had to…"

"I was a bit luckier than those children in that I was never wanting for food and material things. But in exchange, I nearly lost my dignity as a human being. Sister Bertrille, your Uncle Albert and Aunt Eugenie, and all their friends… They changed my life. They saved me." The singer glanced at the ragtag group. "Who's to say that the kindness and generosity you show to them tonight won't have a great impact on their future?"

The children looked at each other for a moment. Nodding in mutual agreement, they hurried to the other carolers.

Smiling, Etienne stood up, only to freeze in place. He was standing before the stately mansion on Champs-Elysees. Again, No. 30 was evoking feelings of overwhelming terror inside him, much of the sensations coming from the entity residing inside his mind.

Although the singer chose not to pry, it was Gankutsuou who volunteered a nervous answer, :I…I used to live here.:

That was a surprising revelation. :Gankutsuou, you don't have to tell me anything if it's making you uncomfortable.:

:I…I swore that I would tell you the truth, even if it's a bit at a time. But…it's so hard. So frightened…:

"There is nothing to fear here."

Through the singer's odd-colored eyes, Etienne and Gankutsuou saw the smiling figure of Franz d'Epinay standing at the front door, with his hands behind his back.

:Franz…: Gankutsuou whispered the name in surprise.

Then, Franz raised his arms to them in welcome. The singer and the entity just found themselves flying through the air, their ethereal substance passing through the oak doors. Sensing Etienne's fear, Gankutsuou took his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Down, down into the bowels of No. 30 Champs-Elysees they flew, passing an extraordinary landscape of blue sky and multi-colored stars, an anomaly because they were underground. When they reached the bottom, Etienne gasped, for he was standing in a palace of gold and jewels, surrounded by a clear blue sea.

"Gankutsuou…what is this magical place?" the Nightingale murmured in wonder.

The entity, on the other hand, was in tears to see his former home restored to its original grandeur. A past memory came to him, and he hurried towards the painting of a handsome young man reading a book to his aging father in a small room. He tapped on the frame and the painting slid to the left, revealing a vault.

"What are you doing?" Etienne watched as Gankutsuou reached inside the vault. When he withdrew his hands, he was now holding five small pouches and several pieces of gold coins.

"For you," said Gankutsuou, beaming. "To give to the children."

"But Gankutsuou…I can't…"

The entity, however, placed those riches inside the pocket of his coat. "This treasure is as much yours as it is mine's."

"I don't understand…."

Franz suddenly appeared between them, saying something to the singer that he did not catch. Laying gentle hands on their shoulders, he brought them back to the mortal body they shared.

A tug on his cloak, and Etienne blinked down to find the children looking worriedly up at him.

"Oh, did I black out again?" Etienne asked, drawing relieved sighs from everyone. "I'm so sorry I scared you all."

Clementine snorted. "You were probably just thinking about Uncle Albert again."

"No, I wasn't!" There was a jingling in his pocket. "I almost forgot. Before we begin our caroling, I have gifts for you." Etienne gave five gold pieces to each of the noble children. To the poor little ones, he gave the small pouches filled with gold and gemstones.

"You didn't rob a bank, did you, Etienne?" Jacques inquired dubiously, as he bit into one coin.

The Nightingale smiled, sensing Gankutsuou peering tenderly at the children through his eyes. "It's a gift from a friend."

"ETIENNE!"

Albert came huffing and puffing towards them, with Bertuccio and Baptistin following behind him. "I was looking all over for you."

"What happened to Maximilien?" Etienne asked about the poor soldier.

"Alas, Captain Morrel has been incarcerated by his good wife," was Bertuccio's reply.

"We barely escaped with our lives!" Baptistin quickly interjected.

"I hope you learned your lesson, gentlemen. As Madame Morrel had said, leave the caroling to the children and the professionals." Grinning at the children, the singer invited, "Shall we?"

As the children trotted off with Bertuccio and Baptistin, Albert went to his lover's side. "I was shocked when I saw you standing before this place. I know you seemed so afraid of it."

"I couldn't understand why I was so distressed whenever I see it, but I realize now that I have nothing to be afraid of." Etienne added mysteriously, "It's a beautiful place, a truly magical one."

"Why do you say that? You sound like you've been inside."

The Nightingale then stated, "This mansion… It belonged to that man – the Count of Monte Cristo."

Although taken aback, Albert would not deny it. "Yes, this was the residence of the Count."

"Some day, Albert, would you please tell me something about him? Both the good and the bad. I want to know about the man you fell in love with."

That request surprised the young envoy. Still, he gave his lover a nod and a kind smile. "Yes, I promise I will."

At that moment, snowflakes began to fall upon them. Looking at his beloved, Albert could not help but feel awe. Dressed totally in white with a long fur-lined hooded cloak, Etienne looked like a Snow Prince. Embracing the Nightingale, he gave him a sweet kiss.

"Joyeux Noel, Etienne."

"Merry Christmas, Albert."

"HURRY UP, YOU TWO!" the children called out to them excitedly.

"COMING!" Albert and Etienne answered in unison as they ran after the little carolers.

Etienne could not help but glance back at the mansion, where the spirit of Franz still stood before the gates. Again, Franz said something to him. Unlike earlier, he heard the young man's voice as clear as a bell.

"Welcome home…Edmond Dantes."


* * * * * * * * * *