Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Afterwards ❯ Convergence Point ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pardon me for getting things wrong or writing things in a not-good-enough way that will justify the elements of a good Gundam Seed fic that doesn't involve war, just peaceful times. By the time you finish reading this chapter, it'll either be criticized or left with 0 reviews. Now, that's harsh. Anyway, onto the fic.

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Seed....you know the drill.

**********

Gundam SEED: Afterwards

Chapter 1

Convergence Point

*********

A young man of 17, garbed in a crisp and immaculate black suit, moved along through a sea of people, all in red uniforms. He walked with the gait of a trained soldier and projected an impassivity hard to thaw. Besides the young man's attire, his ultramarine hair that reached up to his shoulders and piercing emerald pools distinguished him completely from the general mass of coordinators.

Another thing that was not hard to notice was the necklace that dangled openly around his neck. It tinkled in time with the man's steps. A roseate stone hung at the center.

"Athrun!" cried out a voice from behind.

Athrun Zala turned his head to catch the sight of a silver-haired man wearing ZAFT colors.

"Yzak!" Athrun blinked, astonished to find one of his former co-mobile suit pilots. Yzak Jule joined him, out of breath. Athrun scrutinized him in the few seconds that this person was trying to take in the gust of air he lost. Yzak still had that same effeminate coiffure. His greyish-white eyes were as sharp as ever.

"Ara, your scar's gone," quipped Athrun, noting Yzak's clean face. It was devoid of any trace of the souvenir that Athrun remembered Yzak obtained from Kira Yamato.

Yzak grinned widely. "You're not the first to comment about it, you know."

Athrun tried to figure out why this guy was here. He suddenly recalled that Yzak had become a member of the council his mother had been in. And from what he knew, Yzak was becoming a great influence in the office.

A thought crept into Athrun's mind. He doubted that Yzak would totally forget about yesterday. In any case, he wanted to try something out just to test the silver-haired coordinator.

"Strike me if I'm wrong, but I heard you're the youngest council member right now," Athrun said teasingly. He watched Yzak closely, waiting for his reaction.

Yzak raised an eyebrow. "Ha-ha. Not funny, Athrun. I am not falling for that anymore."

Athrun could not stop himself. He laughed. "Then that proves that you've matured a great deal."

Yzak looked incredulously at this man who had been a very sober and level-headed leader a while back. Athrun seemed to be changing and he was unaware of that, it seemed. "You've grown a lot more different than you used to be. In fact, you've actually learned how to make lame puns."

Confused, Athrun stared questioningly at Yzak. "Huh? What do you mean?"

"Nothing. Anyway, I'm guessing you're here because of what's going to happen today," said Yzak, totally avoiding Athrun's inquiry.

Athrun nodded. "Ah. I want to see how this will turn out."

"And of course you have the right to. You helped in ending this war."

Silence. Athrun gazed far-off into the distance. Yzak decided that it was his cue to leave but not before taking notice of the ornament around Athrun's neck.

Yzak parted with Athrun, bidding him a farewell that seemed to be unheard and thinking random thoughts concerning the neck ornament. Somehow, it sparked his interest. Hmm. Since when did Athrun get that necklace? Maybe from Lacus?....or maybe....

**********

The first ever convention since the peace treaty between ZAFT and the OMNI member-states was going to be held that day. Today, not only the two sides were expected to be present, but all the neutral countries were to be there too. The United Emirates of Orb was amongst these neutral countries.

A foremost goal was to establish the mutual agreement that everyone hoped for. The irrevocable bloodshed that became a bitter memory for all must ebb now. Let it be washed away by the tide, dissipate, diminish... People who lost loved ones, soldiers who died in the war, all those who were killed...time cannot bring them back. The wounds would not heal but the pain can be eased. At least, that was what everyone has been working for right now. An aimless present and an empty future....how would man put together the broken pieces?

Athrun wondered if he did help end the war. He knew himself that, at first, he was like a yes-man, lapping up all the information that was fed to him. And because of that narrow-mindedness, he even confronted his best friend, Kira, branding him an enemy just because he sided with earth. For one who hated getting involved in the war, Kira had been going down the right path after all. He fought for what was worth protecting.

For a moment, Athrun realized that he did not so much as attempt to understand the situation. It was like a drug-user who was getting worse day by day. The war intoxicated him into almost killing his friend. War was like a drug gone wrong. Taking a whiff could just as easily get you addicted.

That was the past now. It was now time for the human race, naturals and coordinators alike, to take its medication. Presently, everyone is lodging in this big hospital, recuperating for the better. This was probably what Lacus Clyne, Athrun's former fiancée, envisioned for so long.

Athrun thought of the last time he talked with Cagalli on earth. That was half a year ago, before Athrun had to leave. Cagalli had a deal with him. " You'll go fix your people and I'll go fix mine," she had told Athrun. At that time, Athrun could not help but laugh. He remembered all too well the glare that which Cagalli returned. "Why? What's wrong with what I just said?" Cagalli had asked. She flushed red. Athrun had his reasons not to reveal things.

He had been thinking about how childish Cagalli put it in words. Yet, these words were true and sincere. That was what Athrun admired in her. The young heir of the late Prime Minister Athha was optimistic at heart. Though her ideas of pacifism lacked the realism of the times, Athrun felt that they were contagious. Cagalli's words reached him before. It had been no different when she said that she would fix her people.

Reminiscing about his memories with Cagalli made Athrun unconsciously touch the roseate stone the girl gave him. Athrun realized that his thoughts had been fleeting a lot that day. He had been doing a lot of walking too. The azure-haired coordinator stopped short when he came upon a crowd of the majority of the staff gathered around the entrance of the building he was in. Curious as to finding out what was going on, Athrun moved closer.

The delegates to attend the Peace Convention were slowly pouring in. The host people, ZAFT, received them with the utmost reverence. But the strange thing was, the person who was needed the most to deal with the arriving delegates was nowhere to be seen. Athrun searched the stream of people for the president.

"Ah, Athrun Zala, you're here," said someone near Athrun.

Athrun diverted his attention to the speaker. It was the missing person - the newly-seated president who replaced his father. He was the enigmatic Guila Ortega. An honest man in his mid-thirties with a clean record. His benevolent demeanor appealed to the public, rendering him the highest position in the council.

"President Ortega!" Athrun exclaimed.

The president winced slightly. He made a gesture of bringing his index finger to his lips. "Please do be quiet, my son," warned Guila. "I'm trying to be as inconspicuous as possible."

Athrun smiled apologetically. "Forgive me, president."

President Ortega stayed in the background. He acted like an overseer, but was not quite one. He seemed not to stand out in the crowd, yet one look at him would make one tell himself not to dismiss this person. Who was Guila Ortega anyway?

"Sir, aren't you supposed to be welcoming the arriving delegates?"

"They," Guila said, referring to the welcoming committee, "can handle things themselves. I'd rather stay here and watch our guests from a distance."

Athrun understood Guila's intended meaning. Obviously, there was still some tension between naturals and coordinators. A short time was not enough to completely erase the records of the nightmares of the past. Guila was being sensible. Athrun liked that in the president. He knew that Guila would be doing a better job of being at the helm than the power-hungry Patrick Zala. Guila Ortega did not seem to be a leader who would desert his people's ideals. Yes, he would soundly steer the ship through these tempestuous times.

"Hmm. It appears to be that I've been found out," noted Guila, as a young officer in a red ZAFT regulation uniform came running up to him.

"President Ortega, we've been looking all over for you!"

Guila turned his attention to this subordinate, fatherly concern written on his face. "What is it, Rhett?"

"It's about the Orb party! The leader wants to see you!" reported Rhett.

Athrun's eyes widened at this bit of information. Did he hear right? Cagalli was here? It was true that he expected a delegate from Orb to be sent to that convention, but it never occurred to him that Orb might not be sending any delegates at all. The leader herself could be the one attending. Then again, judging from the leader's nature, Athrun was not surprised that Cagalli Yula Athha would come in person.

"Here they come!"

A personage of greater importance than the delegates who just came in before seemed to have arrived right at that moment. He or she was accompanied by an entourage of bodyguards, each with with an armband of an unknown insignia on his right arm. Anyone who got in the way was asked to step aside with stiff modesty.

Athrun studied closely the insignia. The regalia was of a white sphere on a blue background. There were some intricate patterns on the sphere that Athrun could not identify. Nevertheless, he recognized the insignia that belonged to the non-aligned state, Orb.

Athrun noticed a cloaked figure amidst the body of possés. He immediately knew who it was even though the hood was pulled up.

The cloaked figure halted and so did the bodyguards in perfect synch. The person glanced from left to right, as if searching for someone. President Ortega stepped forth. The hands of the cloaked figure shot out to pull down the hood of the cloak, revealing a young lady of about 17 years with formidable aureate eyes and richly golden locks. A resolute expression was set on her face, the aura of a strong-willed person emanating from her.

"You are the leader of Orb, I presume?" queried President Ortega.

"I am," replied Cagalli. "And you are?"

"I am the newly-elected president of ZAFT's council, Guila Ortega. I understand that you want to speak about something to me."

All the while, Cagalli had been making an effort to keep the calm composure exhibited by leaders. She never really had experiences on public relations. Back in Orb, she tried hard to practice rationality. Cagalli forced herself to keep control of her brash temper. Her father taught her that decisions ride on the leader and the decisions one makes has to work out for all those concerned. Well, that would be for most of the time. Sometimes, it cannot be helped that your decisions will be opposed by others. The clashing of beliefs was unavoidable, after all.

Oh, how the premature leader of Orb wished that she developed her diplomatic skills at an earlier age.

When Cagalli arrived on PLANT, she had been itching to discuss about a few particulars with the coordinators' president. But, coming face to face with Guila Ortega's person, she lacked the nerve to say out straight what she wanted to say. Instead, she changed her mind at the last minute. "You are not mistaken, president. But, it's not that urgent a matter. We can talk about it later," Cagalli said to Guila. Chickenheart! Cagalli told herself. The golden-haired Orb princess was cursing herself internally. She knew she was blushing already.

Guila smiled open-heartedly. He seemed to have comprehended the struggle going on inside the head of the youth. "Very well. I'll have you escorted to the conference room, then. "

Cagalli was inwardly relieved. For the next event, she was unprepared for.

" Athrun Zala," Guila called out to the one of the bystanders.

If Cagalli had been drinking a glass of juice, she would have spit the juice out. She instantly felt aware of her actions. Now he's seen you act stupid....again. Cagalli had a glimpse of that familiar blue hair seconds before she trained her eyes down on her feet. But she could not see her feet, realizing that she had been wearing a cloak that reached up to the floor. In fact, her whole body was covered by her long white cloak.

"Please lead the Orb party to the conference room," Guila requested-ordered.

Athrun conformed with a bow and approached Cagalli with reserve. "This way.....Cagalli," he said, uttering Cagalli's name just above a whisper. The coordinator walked ahead of Cagalli for a few steps. Then, on second thoughts, he slackened his pace until Cagalli was beside him. He observed that the bodyguards had fallen back and was now following the two from behind. Both had their eyes aimed forward.

Cagalli was speculating about what Athrun's reaction could have been when he saw her. She had not been counting on his being there. On the other hand, Athrun had been considering his feelings when he recognized the cloaked figure as Cagalli. For some reason, Athrun felt strange. He had not made contact with Kira and the others for half a year now. Athrun missed his friends a lot. And despite being busy, he often found himself thinking about them, especially Cagalli. He only found solace in the protection stone that was his memento of Cagalli.

And now here she was in person, walking beside him. Athrun wondered whether Cagalli had changed? For him, Cagalli was the most complex person he ever met. There were times when Cagalli was undecided, while other times she was clear-cut. Aside from that, Cagalli was someone who was candid about her feelings. Athrun counted all the times he talked with others. He always had to converse with them in a formal manner. The same went for Lacus.

But, in Cagalli's case, things were different. Going back to the time the two of them were stranded on an island, Athrun saw her as a feisty youth who did not know what war really meant. He was wrong. In the end, Athrun learned to reconsider his principles about fighting. Encountering Cagalli the second time, Athrun learned even more from her. He began to see things in a new light. Athrun was thankful he met this person.

Asuran had a strong urge to hug Cagalli but he knew that would be very uncomfortable at the moment, given the situation and place. Surely, Cagalli would be embarrassed. She always was. So, sentimentalities would have to wait after. What should I do, then? Athrun thought. I don't want her to think I'm not happy to see her.

Unexpectedly, Cagalli made the first move. She touched Athrun's hand, rather shy of her gesture. "Hey, long time no see."

"Ah," came Athrun's reply. "How are you and the rest doing?"

"As usual, it's been kinda crazy in Orb. But I think I can handle things finely. Kira and Lacus are doing well. They're sending their regards to you."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"So, have you been keeping your end of the bargain?"

"I'm proud to say that I have. What about you?"

"Well, I've been reading past documents about the old leaders of earth. I came across these two policies that Mikhail Gorbachev, a man who became leader of USSR at some point, had widely promoted during his time. It's this glasnost and perestroika stuff."

"What about them?"

"Glasnost is openness and perestroika is reconstruction. I've been trying to implement these two things in Orb. It's actually working, you know," said Cagalli, smiling. Athrun could see that Cagalli really took what she said at heart. He smiled as well.

"That's good. I think the Earth Alliance and ZAFT need to do just the same."

"Hah. I doubt that their leaders would let themselves be caught dead trying to follow in the footsteps of a foolish 17-year old." Cagalli felt the bitterness in her words as she said them.

"Like teaching Pink-chan how not to be rude, huh?" And Athrun laughed.

"Speaking of Pink-chan, it broke down just a few weeks ago. Probably because it's bounced enough to loosen some internal parts. But no need to worry, Kira fixed Pink-chan up. Now it's been bobbing up and down more than ever. It even tried to jump as high as Torii could fly."

"Pink-chan always was an eccentric Haro," Athrun remarked. "I don't know why. Its hyperactive level has always been high."

The conversation began to wind down as they finally arrived at their destination. Athrun had been leading Cagalli up elevators and down long corridors with many turns. When they came to a vast hall just like the lobby, Athrun opened one side of double doors at the end of the hallway. The young man ushered the leader of Orb into a high-ceilinged room full of buzzing people. About four bodyguards trailed behind. The rest stayed back. Inside the room was an enormous round table. Several were already seated while some were pacing around the room. Most of the delegates took a brief glimpse of the new arrival and quickly lost interest. Either they didn't know who Cagalli was or they thought she was just another representative haling from some unknown nation. They were most likely thinking that this representative was lesser than themselves and she did not deserve their due attention.

"Haughty bunch, aren't they?" Cagalli muttered under her breath.

"It can't be helped," said Athrun, guiding Cagalli to an empty seat.

Cagalli threw off her white cloak and one of her bodyguards accepted the cloak. The other three took their places slightly behind the guy holding Cagalli's cloak. Hands at their back, the bodyguards looked imposing and intimidating altogether.

"Cagalli, can't you tell them to be more at ease?" Athrun asked Cagalli, indicating the four towering figures.

"They are at ease," Cagalli answered. "It makes them fidgety if they're not standing in that posture."

"Is that so?" Athrun, who had been examining Cagalli's bodyguards, only took that moment to look at Cagalli. He was stunned to see what Cagalli had on. She looked like a real lady, dressing the part of a royalty. The 17-year old was dressed in a flowing, jade gown that clung to her slender figure. The gown allowed the yellow-haired girl to show off her shoulders and a black choker complemented her neck.

"C-cagalli...." stammered Athrun.

"What?" Cagalli was oblivious of the effect her attire had on the ultramarine-haired coordinator.

"You're wearing a dress," Athrun said, stating the obvious. He was incapable of saying anything intelligible.

"Oh!" Cagalli was suddenly becoming conscious of her appearance again. It was the first time Athrun saw her in a gown and she imagined Asuran was not used to witnessing a ladylike Cagalli. Cagalli reddened a shade of pink and avoided Athrun's stare. " Don't get any wrong ideas. I'm only wearing this because Lacus forced me to."

Athrun's expression softened, an almost invisible smile formed on his face. "It looks good on you," he found the words involuntarily coming out. Athrun was amused in spite of himself.

Cagalli blushed even more profusely, feeling even more awkward now. "Well, thank you," she mumbled, abruptly plopping down on a seat to avoid drawing any more attention. Having Athrun notice her dress was already too much than she could bear.

It was too late. The ongoing hum of conversations stopped. A lot of people, the greater number being the females, were now eyeing the green-clad lady whom they have chosen to ignore earlier. She seemed to be the odd one out because of her different wardrobe. The four bodyguards also served to set this person apart.

The double doors swung open. All eyes turned on the ZAFT group as they entered the room. The venerable President Guila Ortega appeared among the ZAFT council members, assuming his place. Cagalli sat as properly as she knew how and glanced at her surroundings. All the delegates were serious in accordance. Cagalli ventured to take a speedy look at her back. Her company of imposing towers stood rigidly. Then, Cagalli was surprised to see Athrun quiescently standing next to her bodyguards.

Athrun caught Cagalli staring at him. He flashed her a quick smile. Cagalli turned red, averting her gaze. The long-awaited Peace Convention was now starting.

to be continued...

A/N: I just made up the Orb insignia. Well, please review. The first time I uploaded this, the spelling of the names were the kanji pronunciation, but I decided to change it now cause Cagalli and Athrun are official spellings anyway.