Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Afterwards ❯ The Old and the New ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

NOTE: Oops. I uploaded chapter 1 as chapter 4. My mistake. Well, this is actually the correct chapter guys. And thanks for pointing it out Lafine. I owe you big. And thanks to Chibi Fyrefly as well, for telling me that Luna was older than Meyrin. I changed that bit of info this time.

Whew. It's been so long since I last updated. I didn't know how to continue this fic when I heard about Gundam SEED: Destiny. I was trying to think of a way to fit my story into the storyline of Destiny. Well, I finally came up with something. Before we proceed on to the chapter proper, I just want to point out that the events that happen here might not actually fit into the Destiny storyline. This happens between the end of Gundam SEED and the beginning of Destiny. Anyway, I'm trying to introduce the new characters from Destiny and I hope (cross your fingers) that my portrayal is close to the real personality of the characters in the series.

Thank you for all those who reviewed.

To Beygirl6 (Sora):
I dunno. I just write what comes into mind. Everyone has his own style, right?

*****

Gundam SEED: Afterwards

Chapter 4

The Old and the New

*****

A decapitated MS, its missing head nearby; corpses littering the ground, some even piled up as high a hill; the ground was colored crimson, the brightness of the blood standing out amidst the drab surrounding; rubbles of what previously could have been shelters, or places of commerce, here and there - a battle had taken place. At first there was a cold silence. It was the kind of silence right after the Reaper had just made his visitation. With his billowing black cape, the unrelenting Reaper sweeps across the field. His icy touch numbs the living being, until the faint beating of the heart comes to a stop forever.

Soon, three pairs of heavy mechanical steps resounded. Three GINNs appeared at the bloody scene, stopping short next to a dismembered leg of an MS. The foremost GINN, evidently leader of the recon team, took a step forward.

"We are now at Point 657. Awaiting orders," came a female voice, revealing that the pilot and leader was a woman.

The communication line opened up, the deep voice of a man spoke, "Good. You are to check for any signs of life. If ever the enemy is still active around the area, steer clear of them. Do not sortie lest self-preservation has to be taken into account. Proceed with caution."

"Roger that," conformed the team leader. And to the team members, " Heard that? Let's move out."

The Ginns continued on. Even after trudging on for 50 meters, the scene never changed - a scenery pertaining to Death's Den of Hell. Except for the footsteps of the three MS, the same cold silence ruled the dreadful air.

The Ginns came to a halt again. A few meters from where they stood, what little remained of the stronghold's ramparts was seen. The enclosure of four walls, now reduced to three, was crumbling.

"Ginn Unit 102, your readings?"

"No heat signatures can be detected in the surrounding area. Shall we proceed, Team Leader?"

-----

C.E. 72, ZAFT Military Academy, A.R.T.S.

::End of Real-time Simulation::

::Achieved 98% of Mission::

::Team Performance - Kirk Harrier, 93.8%; Garma Dean, 84.3%; Lunamaria Hawke, 99.5%::

The 3D-rendered environment disintegrated in the testees' lines of sight, resuming to normal space. The three testees felt the sudden pull from the computer-generated stream and found themselves, through their visors, staring at nothing but a whitewashed room.

A girl with rosy-hued hair and hyacinthine eyes, went towards the testees. She approached the only female in the trio, in particular.

"Luna," she said to the female cadet.

The girl called Luna took a while before she was aware that someone was calling her name. Snapping off the visor, she shook herself awake.

"Oh, Meyrin," murmured Lunamaria, stepping off from the seat. She gazed at the former with the same hyacinthine eyes.

Meyrin grinned at Lunamaria. "Congratulations! You got 99.5%!"

"Uhn..." Lunamaria mumbled unlively.

"Oh man!" ejaculated Garma Dean, the cadet next to Lunamaria. "Another 80-something? Why can't I get pass 90%?!"

"Be-cause, you leap before you look, Garma!" Meyrin answered for him.

Another one of the cadet testees, Kirk Harrier, got off his seat and made his way closer to the small group, telling Garma in a chiding manner, "Precisely. You act before you think. When you go into a real battle, that reckless habit of yours might just land you in the infirmary more than you know."

"Lunamaria, on the other hand, is so unlike you. She carefully decides what to do first. After assessing the situation, she bases her action on the best possible outcome. That's a perfect example of someone who uses her brain," he continued.

"Arggh! What's up with the comparison?! One more time, then!" Garma growled.

Kirk sighed his exasperation. He turned to a woman standing at a distance from them, asking for her assistance. "Instructor Svens?" Garma was getting hard to deal with.

"I cannot grant your request, Cadet Dean."

"Huh?! Why not?!"

"That was not a practice simulation. Your performance in this ARTS is your mark for this month's level of progression."

"WHAT?! But--"

"C'mon, Luna. We better get out of here before Garma becomes rampant again," Meyrin said, tugging on Lunamaria's hand and pulling her towards the exit of the training room.

-----

Meyrin immediately sensed how low-spirited Lunamaria was. She ought to know because the two of them were sisters, though they did not look like it. Both had eyes the color of the crystalline sea. The similarities just as soon ends there. Meyrin kept her peach-colored hair long, while Lunamaria had a boyish cut. She kept her mauve strands a little above her nape.

When it came to personality, the two were not total opposites. Still, there were a lot of differences. Meyrin was the cheery, friendly, and carefree sister, whose impulsiveness was characteristic of her. Contrariwise, Lunamaria was the mature and serious sister. That was to be expected since Lunamaria was the elder sister. Of the two, Lunamaria was the one known to be the consummate perfectionist.

Nevertheless, the two grew up very close siblings who, if not, very seldom bickered or fought over sibling matters. There was not any sibling rivalry between them.

Meyrin was 10 months younger than her sister but they attended school in the same grade. Although it was typical of coordinators to be naturally talented, Luna was a prodigal in her own right. To say the least, she possessed a high mental capability, which made her an outstanding coordinator in class. Meyrin, on the other hand, might not be on par with her younger sister, but made up for it in other ways.

"Luna, are you alright?" a concerned Meyrin asked as they were walking.

Lunamaria was deep in thought, unresponsive to Meyrin's query.

"Luna?"

"Huh?" Lunamaria trained her eyes on Meyrin, the voice of her sister finally reaching her.

"I said, 'Are you alright?'" Meyrin reiterated with a hint of irritation.

"Yeah, I'm fine. You have nothing to worry about," Lunamaria replied, making the words tumble out very quickly.

Meyrin squinted her eyes at Lunamaria, dubious. "Oh, rea-lly?"

"Really!"

The two girls walked in silence along the corridor. After a while, Lunamaria suddenly stopped in her tracks.

"Ne, Mei. I don't think I'm really cut out for military academy," Lunamaria said quietly.

"Well, this is the first time I heard you say something like that, ever since we entered military academy," remarked Meyrin.

"I'm serious, Meyrin."

"Did something happen?"

"....."

Lunamaria's head drooped. She would not say anything.

I hesitated! Hesitated to do my duty! Hesitated to kill, even if the reason was valid! Lunamaria screamed in her head.

"Luna? What's wrong?" Meyrin scrutinized Lunamaria closely. The mauve-haired girl seemed to be on the verge of crying.

How can I be a soldier if I can't carry out my duty? That man was ruthlessly planning to kill the child. Yet, I had to be humane and hesitate to finish him off!

"Is this about the ARTS?"

As if awakening from a long dream, Lunamaria was suddenly brought back to reality. She realized she had been caught up far too much in her own world that she forgot about the present. The coordinator rubbed her teary eyes with the back of her palm and raised up her head.

Lunamaria attempted a smile, no matter how feeble it appeared, and said, "Never mind what I said a while ago. Let's just head over to the cafeteria. I'm famished."

Meyrin, though, did not bite the bait. But she was glad that Lunamaria was paying attention to her now. "Good idea," she agreed, going ahead of her sister.

Lunamaria followed Meyrin a little ways behind. Truth was, she was still thinking about earlier. She only did not want Meyrin to worry any more about her.

An instructor passed by them. A perse-haired taciturn cadet, obviously a new face, obediently trailed after the instructor. He was definitely more than meets the eye. Patiently listening to the instructor, the cadet followed without a word.

"Cadets who enroll this time of the year usually have difficulty catching up since it is almost midterms. If you wish to graduate the same time as this batch, you will have to work extra hard," Lunamaria and Meyrin overheard the instructor.

"Now, this corridor leads to the training rooms wherein we have the A.R.T.S. or the Arrayed Real-time Simulation. It is a simulator that runs on what we call the 'creation engine'. The creation engine is a specially designed mechanical brain -- Ah, Cadet Hawke! Just the person I am looking for."

The loquacious instructor halted in mid-chatter and gestured for Lunamaria to come near her. Normally, everyone who called for Cadet Hawke always referred to the elder sister. Strangely enough, Meyrin never felt jealous that her sister had all the attention. She was fine with the fact that their superiors did not have to enlist her aid.

Lunamaria warily approached the instructor. Her instructors tended to be demanding on her. "Yes, ma'am?"

"I need you to show this young man around the academy, to familiarize him with the facilities and other such things. She can help you out."

At this, Meyrin laughed uneasily. This instructor seemed to be holding a grudge on her.

"Cadet Asuka, this is Lunamaria Hawke, one of our top cadets. Cadet Hawke, this is Shinn Asuka," introduced the instructor.

Lunamaria peered up at the newcomer. Hyacinthine orbs clashed against unyielding and at the same time, impassive vermilion orbs. Shinn Asuka seemed to be a person of overwhelming character. And if not for Lunamaria's own unbending will, she would have faltered in the face of this coordinator.

"His room assignment is in the west quarters, Room G-57. I now leave you in her hands."

The instructor left Lunamaria and Meyrin with Shinn.

"Hmph! What a mean instructor! She did not even bother to tell you my name!" Meyrin told Shinn when the instructor was far away. She stuck out her tongue in the direction she went.

Meyrin smiled at Shinn, cocking her head to the side. "I'm Meyrin Hawke and yes, the two of us are sisters. I'm the younger. So far, how do you find this place?"

"Asuka-san, I apologize for my sister's presumptuous behavior--"

"--Luna! I was only--"

"She really has a cheerful disposition that can sometimes be--"

"This place is different from Orb..." Shinn inserted all of a sudden.

"Orb?" echoed Meyrin.

Lunamaria looked fixedly at Shin. "What place are you referring to?"

"PLANT," Shin answered curtly.

"I assume, you're an Orb-born coordinator, am I right?" Lunamaria questioned, still keeping her eyes on his.

Shin returned the gaze just as strongly. "....yes."

Lunamaria was quiet for some time. Then, she finally averted her eyes.

"'If you're from Orb, why did you come to PLANT and join ZAFT?' you want to ask, am I right?" Shinn said.

"I'm fairly sure you do not want to talk about it."

"I don't."

"I know."

"People, let's be off now!" interjected Meyrin, breaking the somber air.

"Ah, yes. Follow me, Asuka-san." Lunamaria began moving forward. Meyrin trotted to her side, leaving Shinn at their back.

There was a mischievous glint in Meyrin's eyes as she leaned close to whisper into her sister's ear. "He's a cutie. Too bad! He seems to have an attitude problem. It looks like you've met your match, Luna."

"What?! I am not like him!" Lunamaria glared daggers at Meyrin.

Ignoring her sister, Meyrin spun around to face Shinn and gave him her wholehearted smile. "Asuka-kun, welcome to the ZAFT Military Academy!"

-----

The stately edifice, whose splendor was starting to fade away with time, stood on a plot of land surrounded by greenery and close to a cliff. From the gates, it took a good 50-meter drive to reach the circular driveway and the very entrance of the mansion. Just a year ago, it was known to be the residence of a powerful politician who held a high office in the ZAFT council. A few years back, it was the home of a happy family, living in content and blithe. But as the years passed, that same family dwindled. What was once known to be an abode that fostered the bonds between wife and husband and between parent and child, over the years, became an empty shell. A thin-layered cocoon that ceased to emit warmth and love. To Athrun, it felt like a stranger's home - callous and unwelcoming.

Athrun was silent for the whole extent of the trip. Thinking about this very same place he was returning to, he drove the car intently without making conversation with Cagalli. The same went for Cagalli as well, who was sitting at the front, right next to Athrun. She occupied herself by looking through the car window and taking in the sights she saw.

Cagalli was surprised to find how PLANT seemed no different from Orb. She saw coordinators sauntering leisurely on the sidewalks. A young coordinator girl was grasping a woman's hand very tightly, pointing to the glass window of what appeared to be a toy store. 'Mommy, I want that!' Cagalli could read the lips of the eager child as she persuaded her mother.

There were buildings erected in absurd architectural designs - triangular, circular, pentagonal even - the same on Orb. Occasionally, they would rush by a park, furnished with benches and complete with gurgling fountains. Cagalli watched a young boy walking a number of dogs, tangled up in the dogs' web of cords that were attached to their collars. Some coordinator youths were playing ball at the park, while others were enjoying themselves by circling around the fountain. Still, there were a few who chose to sit down on the bench. Beyond the highway, on a big screen atop a tall structure, Cagalli viewed the face of a familiar girl with flowing pink tresses singing to an also familiar tune. It was a music video of Lacus Clyne.

Now, as the car picked up its pace and left the hustle-tussle urbanized area, Cagalli was able to behold a wonderful sight. Sparkling and shimmering, the plush-blue sea made itself seen to the Orb princess. Oh, the deep sea! It stretched far and wide, going past the distance the naked eye could see to meet the azure zenith. Fluttering high above were the seabirds flying freely without restraint. Below them were the fish breaking through the shield of cerulean, jumping with joy.

The aureate of Cagalli's eyes shone brightly. "PLANT, even though it it is only a space colony - its living conditions made imitative to earth's - seems to be a place full of life. Coordinators experience just the same thing as the people on earth, don't you think?" Cagalli said giddily, turning to Athrun.

"So you noticed." Athrun glanced at Cagalli, his expression softening.

"So much that I feel like I haven't left Orb at all."

"Was it okay for you to have your bodyguards separate from you?"

"Uh yeah. Kisaka finally approved after I nagged him...."

"...for what seemed like eternity," Athrun finished off.

Cagalli laughed. "Was it that long?"

"Kind of," Athrun answered. Then, "We're almost there."

-----

"Miss Athha, this will be your room."

A man in his mid-50s, with snowy balding hair, and facial hair - eyebrow and beard - as white as fleece, Renardo was the Zala household's staunch steward, who was asked to lead Cagalli to her room. Renardo obliged as any faithful household staff would do. Renardo brought the young woman to her room, all the while wondering who his young master's guest was. Athrun Zala never brought any guest, let alone a female, into the house. Furthermore, no one had been living in the house for a very long time now. Yet, all that time, the household staff kept the mansion livable, since they still mysteriously received their wages on a regular basis. The young Zala had only returned home these past few months. And he was not a hard one to please. He was not at all, a spoiled rich man's son.

And now, the old majordomo's curiosity could not help but be aroused.

Renardo recalled to mind a certain famous singer and daughter of a well-known council member, who was engaged to Athrun through an arranged marriage. He felt a bit sad when he heard that Athrun's father canceled his son's engagement to Siegel Clyne's daughter, Lacus. Even after the war, Athrun did not seem to consider reconciling his marriage ties with Miss Clyne. Could it have been because of this lady? When did he meet her then?

Master Zala introduced her as Miss Cagalli Yuula Athha. The young lady seemed to have come from a distinguished family as well, though she lacked the grace of movement of most daughters of such wealthy people. She was awkward - but not gauche - as if she was not accustomed to wearing the sort of dress she was clad in right then.

Renardo had a few speculations in mind. He conjectured that Miss Athha might be one of the naturals his master met while he was on earth. That much, he guessed.

Oh well, it's not my place to question the young master's affairs, as long as he is happy. Renardo told himself as he was about to go out of the room.

"Um, Mister Renardo. I have a bit of a problem," the voice of the woman cut through Renardo's thoughts. He found her still lingering by the doorway.

"Yes, Miss Athha?"

"I seemed to have forgotten to bring a change of clothes with me. I was not really intending to stay in Athrun's home. Well, I really do feel uncomfortable in this gown...." Cagalli trailed off, jerky and embarrassed in spite of herself.

Oh, Renardo knew this sort of trouble. To put the lady at ease, he smiled at her kindly. His eyes crinkling up, Renardo approached the embarrassed Cagalli. "I understand what you mean to say, Miss Athha."

Renardo spryly moved over to the wardrobe, gesturing to it. "Over here, Miss Athha."

With uncertain steps, Cagalli went to the wardrobe. She looked at Renardo, seeking his approval.

"Go ahead, Miss Athha," insisted Renardo.

Cagalli opened both panels. Inside, there were a number of clothes hanging on a rack. The young lady ran through them, discovering that all were women's clothing.

"I suggest you wear this." Renardo reached out and lifted a hanger from the rack. He handed it over to Cagalli, who just stared dumfounded.

She held up the hanger and saw the dress Renardo gave her - a lilac summer dress. "Are you sure I can wear this?" Cagalli asked. "I could just wear a shirt and pants--" The last statement came out before Cagalli could stop herself.

Renardo chuckled. "Yes, yes. You can."

The old man paid his respects and turned to leave. At the door jamb, he said smilingly, "If you're worrying about that, I'm sure that dress will suit you just fine."

Cagalli felt confused. She did not know whether he said she can wear the summer dress or the shirt and pants. And what did he think Cagalli was worrying about?

Outside, Renardo was satisfied that he had done his duty well. Miss Athha was an intriguing person. Yes, the steward was not wrong in giving her that room.

-----

ZAFT Military Academy, Cafeteria

Lunamaria took almost an hour just touring the new cadet around the whole academy. Shinn would follow wherever she lead him to and not say a thing or ask a question. It was really unpleasant for Lunamaria. She felt relieved that Meyrin was with her. Her sister was always there to lighten up the mood. Her friendliness did not offend Shinn. It only kept him from being too much of a serious fellow.

The mauve-haired coordinator tried hard to fathom him. Shinn was not uncooperative. Whenever his involvement was needed, he would give it. Other than that, he was an indifferent person. Unsociable was the perfect term.

After showing the way to the boy's dormitory, Lunamaria and Meyrin parted with Shinn. Nothing more than a cursory 'thank you' was uttered. He just went his way.

Lunamaria was still dwelling on this while she and Meyrin were at the cafeteria. Having gotten their share from the cafeteria lady, the sisters went to find seats inside the crowded cafeteria.

"Oh look, sis. It's Asuka-kun," said Meyrin, gazing at a lone figure sitting at a table near where Lunamaria and Meyrin stood.

"Right," Lunamaria assented unenthusiastically. She knew where this was going.

"Let's go to him."

Oh brother. Lunamaria expected Meyrin to say those words, having no choice but to get dragged off by Meyrin.

"Hi Shinn!" chirped Meyrin.

Shinn briefly looked up from his plate. Something told Lunamaria that he did not want to be disturbed from eating his meal. Perhaps it was the dour expression on his face. "Hi," he grunted monosyllabically and turned his attention back to his food.

Meyrin frowned. "Well, he certainly isn't an amiable guy," she whispered to Lunamaria.

To Meyrin's bewilderment, Lunamaria abruptly slid into the metal bench opposite Shinn, setting down her food tray.

"There's no other vacant seat," Lunamaria explained matter-of-factly.

Meyrin eyed Shinn. He seemed to be nonchalant about it. So, shrugging off propriety, Meyrin followed suit.

Unofficially, Lunamaria and Meyrin made friends with Shinn, with neither his consent nor his protest.

to be continued...

Hehe. I just had to write the first and last part. I thought to myself how these people ever actually met and I came up with these. I'm not sure what these characters are really like. I just wrote what I think they would be like. Reactions, guys?

Yah, nothing much happened. People just walking, doing nothing else. I'll try to make the next chapter more interesting, really. I have something in mind already on how to make the story go forward. But, of course. I need the reader's support. So, feedback will be highly appreciated. Please review. Be it good or bad.

Notes:

- For lack of a term, I just called it "military academy".

- A.R.T.S. - Arrayed Real-Time Simulation

a simulator used for training candidates in the ZAFT military school. Artificial surroundings are generated by what is called the "creation engine". In each run, there are time allocations given. Random events may happen in the duration of the time allotted. The person is tested to see how he will be able to cope with the situation. Events range from recon missions, field battles, or human survival stages. The situation are made to be so realistic that some coordinators who have tried it have been known to suffer mental damage.

I just made this up. There is no such thing as ARTS in Gundam SEED. I think I'm getting the acronymia, if you get my meaning.

- I'm not sure how things work in a military school, but I just tried it out the way I thought people would formally address each other, how cadets carry themselves in front of their superiors...that sort of thing.