Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Finding Destiny ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
"." = People are talking
In italic's = The charcter in POV is thinking to themselves
FB.. = Character going into a flashback
FBE.. - Character's flashback ends
Destiny4

(Dearka's POV)

"Please tell me again why we must rush back to Jonathan's office?" I asked, trying to keep up with Milly.

"Because of two reasons," Milly answered. "One: I want to find the bastard that did this to Cagalli."
her face closely, I had a gut feeling that I knew what number two was going to be. "And two?"

"Once I find him, I'm going to shred him to pieces."

Thought so. But then again, I feel the same way. Over the years, I had the chance to get acquainted with Athrun's girlfriend turned fiancé and finally wife.

Watching Miriallia from behind, I began to fear for her life more than ever. Ever since Cagalli's death, I had been so afraid that Miriallia might disappear as well.
this, I should call Athrun again and make sure he's doing fine. He must be in so much pain. Just remembering his face at the clinic pained me so much.

................................FB.......................... ...

"Athrun, maybe we should go back?" I asked carefully, watching my friend's movements.

"No, Dearka. I have to find Cagalli," he answered harshly.

"I agree with Dearka, Athrun. Maybe she was sent to the hospital with the injured. Maybe Lacus didn't think of checking." Miriallia piped in quietly.
him shake his head back and forth, he continued walking. However, he stopped shortly in front of two body bags lying side by side.

"You three need to leave immediately." the police officer shouted at us again.

"No, we must find our friend," a feminine voice replied. Watching Lacus step forward with Kira behind, I saw that she looked troubled. "Cagalli wasn't at the hospital. She isn't among the injured."

"This is" I heard Athrun whisper. Turning to face him, I saw him lightly touching a fur coat next to one of the body bags.

"Oh god, that's the coat I gave to Cagalli for her birthday recently," Kira blurted out

"And it's the same one she was wearing to the clinic," Lacus added, holding tightly to Kira's hand.
Athrun slightly, I noticed the tears that were about to fall from his green eyes. His body began to shake violently.
was a moment later when he said something.

"Open the bag!" he shouted at the officer.

.......................................FBE............... ......

Hearing Milly knock on a door, I stepped out of my thoughts.

"Who is it?" Jonathan asked.

"Sir, it's Miriallia Haww and Dearka Elthman," she shouted back.

"Come in."
her open the door, I followed behind. Looking up I noticed that Jonathan seemed surprised of our visit.

"Sir, I have a favor," Milly said.
his head, he waited. "I want to continue with the story of Cagalli Zala's death," Milly replied.
Jonathan and I stared at her, surprised at her request. But he beat me to the one question we were both thinking of.

"Why?"

"Because sir, Cagalli and I became the best of friends over the years and I want to find the bastard who killed her."

"And how may I ask, are you going to find him?" Jonathan asked carefully.

"Sir" she started.
his head slowly, she continued. "You need not worry on how I am going to retrieve that information. All I'm asking is that you give Dearka and myself the time to achieve our goal."
his face change I knew Milly had crossed the line. "I think not."

"Sir, did you or did you not say you wanted a story?" Milly asked sternly.
her carefully, I knew Jonathan was realizing that if we do this case, then it would work out for the both of us. "Yes I did, Miriallia."

"Then I promise you this. If you let Dearka and I work on this case further, then we just might solve that case."

"And if you both fail me?" he asked seriously.

"Then you can fire us and ruin our careers," she answered confidently.
my eyes become large, I watched in utter shock. This girl in front of me was risking our jobs!

"It's a deal Miss Haww."

"Thank you Sir, you won't regret it."
out of Jonathan's office, I grabbed Milly's hand. "Do you know what you just did?" I shouted at her.

"Do you want to live your life without knowing the truth Dearka?" she asked quietly.

"What?" I asked.

"Do you want to continue living without knowing the truth of what happened or why it happened?" she asked again.
go of her hand, I stared hard on the floor. "Of course not."
her arms wrap around my waist, I looked up carefully. "Neither do I," she murmured in my chest. "And this is why I am doing this. I want to know the truth."
to face the window, I nodded in agreement. "The truth of this crazy mystery," I whispered back.

............................................................ ..........................

(Athrun's POV)

Quietly, I parked my car in front of the house that I lived in with Cagalli and Estelle. Only now, it will only be Estelle and me.

"It's me!"

Every time I remember that voice shouting at me, I feel a jolt of electricity run through my spine. But that voice didn't sound anything like Cagalli. But the caller had used the same words that Cagalli would have used. The coincidence was too close for comfort.
it only been a day since Cagalli had tried to reach me on my cell-phone, but chose to ignore it? The last thing I needed was her trying to reach me, only be yelled at some more.

.......................FB........................

I put little doubt when I was driving home of the sirens of ambulances and the fire trucks as they passed me.
had finally reached the mansion and parked the car. Stepping out quickly, I walked to the door and expected some sort of greeting. However, no one appeared.

"Hello? Is anyone home? Cagalli? Estelle?" I shouted. Figuring that maybe they went out, I walked upstairs to the bedroom. Stripping off my tie and vest, I disposed of them on the foot of the bed. Taking out my cell-phone, I also dropped it on the bed without noticing the blinking light. Walking to the bathroom, I turned on the water. A nice warm shower seemed appropriate.
on the waterproof radio in the shower, I started to clean myself with the soap. Humming to myself quietly, I took little notice of the breaking news of the local bombing at the downtown clinic.
out of the shower, I cleaned myself up, and quickly put on a pair of jeans and a button up shirt. Looking at the digital clock on the night stand, I frowned slightly. Where on earth could Cagalli and Estelle gone to? Looking down, I finally took notice of my cell-phone.
missed call.
one message.
up the phone, I checked the number. Looking closely at it, I realized that I've never seen it before. Punching in the password for my voicemail, I waited for the message to be replayed.
was then when I noticed that Cagalli had left the message. "Athrun, it's Cagalli. Just wanted to inform you that Lacus and I stopped by the downtown women's clinic. Estelle is staying at Kira and Lacus's house. Call me, we need to talk still."
voice sounded serious at the end. Frowning again, I realized that for someone who wanted to talk, she sure was taking her time getting home.
back to the bathroom, I started to comb my hair. Listening to the radio, I noticed they were still talking about the bombing.
it hit me. Maybe Cagalli had seen the accident or was talking to someone who had also. Walking downstairs, I turned on the television and dialed Cagalli's cell-phone number. Hearing the constant ringing of her phone, I tried calling Kira's home number. Waiting, I listened carefully to the details of the bombing.

"Taking precaution, police had called in the National Guard of Orb to watch over for anything else. Though hundreds in the area were questioned, only one man was able to help out the police. Saying he had seen a mysterious man walking around the back of the clinic before the explosion."
in the details No one at Kira's answered as well. Trying Cagalli's cell again, I waited.

"The police finally declared that the bombing was not an accident. Several casualties Investigation continued without any clues as to why or who..."

No answer from her cell phone.
up from the couch, I quickly grabbed my keys and bolted out the door. Starting the engine, I backed away and tried to remember where the clinic was located. There was a chance Cagalli was still there with Lacus helping the injured. Cagalli is exactly like Lacus. Caring and loving, except one thing: she's so much tougher and more stubborn than Lacus.
why would those two even bother going to the clinic?
arriving at the clinic or what used to be it, I stepped quickly out of the car. Watching the National Guard descend from their trucks and hastily secure the area, I started to walk.
is a waste of time, thought. I should be at home and working on a case that the council had given me to work on. For all I knew, Cagalli probably just got home, safe and sound. But just in case she was here, she was going to need him. She was never that good at keeping her emotions under check. She would get too emotional over the littlest things.
I moved closer, I noticed that the area seemed more like a war zone. Officers and firemen working together to get everything back to normal but with little, or to no, avail. Bricks and trash covered the sidewalk.
the air, I stopped. The smell of death and tragedy.

.............FBE..............................

Stepping out of the car, I quietly and slowly walked towards the door. But before I got a chance to open it, Estelle came running towards me.

"I thought you said you were going to get Mom?" she asked.
new tears grow, I quickly took hold of Estelle and hugged her tightly. "Dad, what's wrong?"
away from me, she noticed my tears. "Dad? You're officially scaring me. Just because I'm seven doesn't mean I'm dumb," she said nervously.

"I know that," I replied quietly.
hold of her hand, I slowly led her inside and into the living room.

"Estelle, there's something I have to tell you."
me carefully, she nodded her head slightly. Hesitantly and nervously.

"About your Mom She isn't coming home."
started to relax a little. She smiled. "Is that all? I don't mind if she doesn't come home today. I thought something bad had happened. How long will this business trip take her? I mean, it was weird and all that one moment she went out with Aunt Lacus then the next you're telling me she went out on a business trip."
my finger quickly on her mouth, I smiled sadly at her. She so acts like her mother. "You don't understand. You remember the clinic bombing yesterday?" I asked.
her head in agreement, I continued. "Your mother was in that bombing."
eyes became large in shock. "Is she okay? Is she at the hospital? When can I see her?" she asked hurriedly.
hold of her again, I pulled Estelle into an embrace. Taking pain and regret for what I was about to say, I knew that deep down I have yet to believe what I was going to tell her.

"Estelle, I'm sorry. But your mother, and my wife, died yesterday at the clinic bombing.
away quickly, she shook her head. "You're lying! There is no way Mom is dead. There is no way!" she shouted accusingly at me.
waited for her to calm down, but she started to cry. "How can she be dead? Mom was full of life. There is no way that can be all gone in a moment."
Estelle into my arms again, I felt her tears soaking my shirt. Along with my tears that began to fall.

Cagalli..

........................FB............ ..................

"Hey Athrun!" a male voice shouted above the noise.
my head around, I saw both Dearka and Miriallia running towards me. "Dearka?" I asked surprisingly.

"Athrun what are you doing here?" Miriallia asked me quickly.

"I was about to ask you the same thing," I answered.
at me, Dearka lifted his video camera. "Don't tell me you forgot what our job is now?"

"Of course not," I replied. Turning back around, I continued to walk. I stopped suddenly when I remembered why I was there. "Have any of you seen Cagalli?"

"Actually we were going to ask you that," Dearka countered.
to face them again, I waited.

"A while ago, we found Lacus near the entrance of the clinic. She was only knocked to the ground, nothing serious. But she kept on repeating Cagalli's name though," Dearka replied.

"Then she fell unconscious and was sent to the hospital. We already called Kira and informed him," Miriallia added. "He said that she's doing fine and that they are heading back to the clinic."

"I see," I said.
I had a chance to move on, a police officer stepped in front of me. "You aren't supposed to be here. Only authorities are allowed."

"I understand. However, my wife might be here," I said, a little annoyed. Looking around, I knew that if Cagalli was here and alone, she would be frightened to death. She would need me nowEven though she would most likely deny it.

"They've taken most folks down to the police station for questioning," the police officer added. "You could go there. But I warn you, it's going to take some time before we can get everyone's statement."
my head, I lifted my cell-phone up. "She would have called. She knows the number."

"Well then, maybe she was one of the injured that were sent to the hospital," the police officer continued. "Maybe she was among them?"

"I doubt it. Lacus would have mentioned if Cagalli was down there," Dearka piped in.
them all, I continued to walk. "Sir?" the officer asked cautiously.

"Athrun, maybe we should go back?" Dearka asked carefully.

"No Dearka, I have to find Cagalli." I responded harshly. I was finally getting annoyed that people were trying to get in my way.

"I agree with Dearka, Athrun. Maybe she was sent to the hospital with the injured. Maybe Lacus didn't think of checking," Miriallia piped in quietly.
my head, I disagreed. I continued to walk. Nothing was going to stop me in finding my wife. But moments later I stopped, when I noticed two body bags lying side by side.
the officer shouting at us, I ignored him. I was busy staring at something lying next to one of the body bags.
Lacus' voice shouting at the police officer, I moved closer.

"This is" I whispered to no one in particular. Bending down, I slowly touched a fur coat.

"Oh god, that's the coat I gave to Cagalli for her birthday recently," I heard Kira gasp.

"And it's the same one she was wearing to the clinic," Lacus added fearfully.
those together, I looked hastily to the left of the coat and stared intensely at one of the body bags. Feeling tears about to fall from my eyes, my body begun to shake violently.
was a moment later when I made a decision. "Open the bag!" I shouted at the officer.

"But." the officer said.
nearby fireman observing, decided to step in. "Trust me, Sir. You don't want to see the body."

"Open the damn bag!" I shouted back. I was well aware of everyone watching me in amazement. People stopped from whatever task they had been working on. Even people who were giving out coffee stopped and took notice.
enough, the fireman pushed me away harshly. "You must leave, sir. You can identify the body at a later time."
behind me gasped. "Athrun? Are you thinking that Cagalli might be in one of those bags?" Kira asked shakily.
up the jacket, I handed it to him. I watched him as he pulled out Cagalli's red wallet and opened it to find pictures of everyone. He looked back up at me.
the police officer bend down, he stated to unzip the bag but stopped. He looked up at the fireman, waiting for some sign that it was okay for us to open it.
smell of death almost knocked me over. But for a split second I was relieved. This burnt body couldn't belong to Cagalli. She was beautiful while this body was twisted and burnt.
then I saw it. A piece of golden blonde hair sticking out from the head of the body. A piece that luckily made it without burning. Looking down, I noticed a hand curled lying on top on her stomach. Inside the hand were the remains of the rings I had given her on the day of our marriage. They were priceless. Gold intertwined bands with diamonds. They were one of a kind.
guard gently pulled the hand away to have the rings fall upon the ground.
them up gently, I turned them around. I barely recognized the initials written inside one of the bands. When I glanced back at the body, the guard had already zipped the bag up again.

"Are you okay?" a male voice asked.
up, I noticed another guard hovering around. Looking closely at his badge, I saw the name Steve Postmen. He seemed tired. "Would you like to sit down?"

"That's my wife?" I asked slowly. I saw Kira from the corner of my eye walk towards me. He helped me up.

"I'm sorry. We are going to have to bring her to the morgue now," Steve answered back sadly.

"That's my wife." I repeated. I could still feel Cagalli's warmth through the rings as I gently closed my hand into a fist. Looking up, I noticed everyone looking down at me worriedly.

"I'm going with her. Cagalli doesn't like to be alone in weird places. If I don't go, she will yell at me later for leaving her alone." I replied while getting up.
Kira rise, I turned to face him. "Watch over Estelle for me. Tell her that Cagalli left for a business trip and she will return tomorrow."

"Athrun" I heard Kira whisper behind me as I followed the officers take Cagalli into an ambulance.

.......................FBC......................
"All you have to do now is remember that your Mother will forever watch you from heaven. She is always going to be there for you and me. No matter what," I said softly to Estelle.

"Like a guardian angel?" she asked tearfully.

"Yes. Exactly like a guardian angel," I whispered.

....................................................... ..............................

(Kira's POV)

Watching Lacus enter our bedroom, she quietly walked towards me. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine," I responded quietly.
away some of my tears, she smiled slightly. "I'm going to miss her." She took one of my hands and squeezed it gently.
down at our hands, I nodded in agreement. "To think we've only known each other for about 10 years. We still had so much to learn about each other. Or just to be there for each other. I mean, we weren't there for each other when we were younger. I never had any siblings until Cagalli had informed me about our relationship."
me softly, I leaned slowly into Lacus. It was a couple of minutes later when I heard the phone ring.
picked it up quickly. It was Kisaka. I listened to him on the other line. Nodding my head and understanding his point of view, I understood what he wanted me to do. I agreed and accepted the favor he asked me. After that, we both hung up.
looked up at me and waited for me to say something.
to face her, I answered her unspoken question seriously. "I've just taken over my sister's spot at Orb quarters."

"But I thought Cagalli had dismissed her services?" she asked surprisingly.

"She had dismissed her services when she had Estelle. But she had never given up her spot in Orb to anyone. Because she had promised the council that one day she will return as Orb's leader."

"I see."
Lacus, I turned to face the window. My baby sister is gone. But I will promise myself that her legacy will never fade. Her and her father's.

........................................................ ..............................

(Mysterious POV)

A man with straight silver hair walked among the crowd in a PLANT embassy. In one hand was a small briefcase, while in the other was a crumpled up newspaper.
his head slightly at elders who walked by him, he continued on his way towards his office. Upon reaching his destination, he quickly walked inside and closed the door behind him.
dropped on a desk and slowly sat down and reopened the newspaper. There in bold letters was the last thing he had expected to see. The whole front page contained information about the clinic bombing in Orb. But what had people in PLANT more interested was Athrun Zala's dead wife.
people in PLANT were wondering the same thing he was. Will Athrun Zala continue to run for chancellor of PLANT or will he drop out?

"Something is wrong," the man whispered to no one but himself. "Why was Zala's wife in that clinic in the first place?"
the paper down, the man looked upon a file that was sitting on top of his desk. Grabbing hold of the file, he started to read the context of it.
grim, the strange man placed the file back down. "If this is true, then maybe, just maybe, the bombing was targeting a certain blonde haired natural."
to the side, he saw a picture that was taken four years after the war had ended.
friends from Zaft along with new friends he had made over the four years. He had even become friends with the pilot of Strike Gundam. Everyone looked so happy. Everyone had moved on with their lives. Stopping in the middle, the stranger looked at the happy couple.

"What will you do next Zala?" the man whispered quietly as he continued to stare at Athrun Zala. "Will you let this destroy your dream?"

"Or will you gain revenge?"

........................................................ ..................................