Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Finding Destiny ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Finding Destiny

Chapter 3

 

(Cagalli's POV)

"How's your pancakes Ash?" asked the little old lady from the bus top.

Smiling gently, I responded back, "Good." Taking another bite, I swallowed as easily and slowly as I could. My throat still felt like it was set on fire and all was left was burned edges.

Nodding her head, the second taller old lady from the bus stop took another bite as well. The shelter was small yet cozy. The food was alright as well. On the other hand, I eaten better pancakes and sausages before. Looking around, I noticed so many people huddle together and eating crazily. Like they haven't eaten anything for days. Frowning, I took another bite. I never really noticed how many homeless people there were in Orb.

Watching the little old lady, she quickly finished her stack of pancakes and licked the plate off. Taking both the plastic fork and knife, she licked them and stuffed them into her overly large bag. Noticing my look of surprised she said, "They don't care if we take them. They got plenty more to spare."

Nodding my head at her, I continued to finish my meal. I needed time to think about everything that has happened. Nothing was making sense at this point. I kept on replaying the scene at the office's parking lot. Maybe I was being too paranoid. Maybe they were talking about something totally different. For all I knew, that guy name Morgan, could have been Yuli's mechanic.

…………………&helli p;……….Flashback…………&hellip ;……………

"It's about time you showed up, Morgan!" he shouted quietly.

"Mission Accomplish." the stranger replied.

"You got the wife then?" Yuli asked.

Than man nodded. "Good. I didn't want to take out Zala. I like him, but I have my own plans for the future of PLANT. You left no trace. Am I correct?" Yuli asked.

……………………& hellip;..End Flashback……………………&h ellip;..

Maybe he was speaking about Yuil's wife. Maybe he was some sort of driver. Just maybe, Yuli had asked the man to pick up his wife from the airport.

But the rest doesn't make sense then! Feeling the pounding returning to my head, I decided to give it a rest. Looking up, I noticed a table in the front of the room. The people who were sitting there seemed better dressed then the rest in the room. In the middle of the table was a guy dressed as priest.

What was his name now? I could swear Kisaka had informed me about the priest taking charge of the food shelters around Orb. I really got to pay more attention next time.

Noticing the priest tab his glass cup with his sliver fork I waited.

"Welcome friends," he shouted out, "If you please bow your heads now so we can thank the lord for our food."

Watching everyone in the room bow their heads, I stood straight up and listened to the priest pray. I studied the table once again. Everyone there seemed to own a job of higher lever. They all owned real silver wear that looked like they could actually cut better than the plastic ones.

Once the priest was done, he had announced that showers were available for anyone who wanted to stay and help clean up. Walking away, the priest left the room. Leaving his plate and fork behind on the table.

"Well that's are cue to leave. See you later Ash," the little old lady replied, picking up her bag. "We must secure of little bench in the park before anyone else does. You are welcome to visit us anytime Ash." The second lady nodded in agreement.

Smiling I thanked the both of them and watched them walk away. Turning back around, I noticed a small petite woman cleaning up the tables. She seemed to be about my age.

Deciding it was time to go home, I thought of some sort of plan to get me there in one piece. Estelle is probably worry sick that I still haven't come home. Athrun is probably wondering where I am. And if I go home, I can tell Athrun what I heard and then we can decide together on how we should handle the situation together.

Nodding in a agreement, I looked up and squinted as I looked at the clock. It was after 8 a.m. If I remember correctly, Athrun had previously told me he was heading to the office the day after he arrived. Deciding that I would call him and have him pick me up, I walked toward the front. A beat up old desk stood there with a phone on the corner and stacks of papers on the other. There sitting down in the middle was the a young woman I remembering sitting down at the priest's table.

Noticing that she had dropped some papers on the floor, I quickly bend down to pick them up. Dropping them lightly on the desk I waited for her to look up. Realizing that she was tune 100% into the document, I cleared my throat the best I could and asked, " Mind if I use the phone?"

Not bothering to lift her head she responded, "It's not for public use."

"I'm only going to make a local call. It won't cost you a penny." I replied back patiently.

"It's not for public use," she repeated again.

Feeling anger rising inside of me, I tried my best to stay calm. "Well is there a phone that the public may use then miss?"

"There's a payphone right outside." she responded. What kind of place is this anyways? I know I look horrible. Probably worse then the homeless. But isn't this what the shelter is for. To help people like me and them!

Touching my pockets, I signed realizing my money was in my wallet. Which was in the clinic. "Then can you please make a call for me then?" I asked after a moment.

Finally looking up at me, she frowned, "Sorry, but that's against the rules."

Seeing the tiredness in her eyes, I turned around and left. What to do?

Looking around, I noticed that same woman cleaning the tables up. Deciding that the shower sounded quite pleasant at that point, I started to help clean up as well. Getting close enough to the woman I said, "Hope you don't mind the help."

"It's my job. They give me a room in back." Laughing out loud she continued, "If I were to get a regular job, that would mean I would get paid with money. And I'm not too good with money. You can say I'm a shop-alcoholic." As quickly as she smiled, she frowned. "The shower that Priest Cedar promised isn't worth it."

I just shook my head. "Trust me. That shower sounds wonderful."

Nodding her head back at me, we both continued to clean up in silence. To tell you the truth, I was never good at cleaning or cooking. Or the must organized person either. Being a princess had it's advantages. Especially when you had a maid to clean up after you.

It was a hour later, when we finally finished cleaning. Sitting down in a nearby chair, I rubbed my sour arms. Laughing out loud I turned to face the lady next to me. "To tell you the truth, I never cleaned up like this before. Now I see what I wasn't missing out on."

Laughing back at me she nodded. "It's not the best job a person could own. But it keeps me off the streets." Studying her, I took noticed of her bright red hair along with her green eyes. "So you want that shower?" she asked.

"You bet I want it. I feel a whole lot better once I'm cleaned up." I responded getting up.

Turning to face me she smiled. "The name is Luna."

Taking hold of her hand I said, "The name is Ca…." I paused for a second. Deciding it was better to play it safe than sorry I restarted again, "The name is Ash."

Nodding her head, she turned around and walked away from me. Following her through hallways, she finally stopped at a door and opened it. Inside was a small couch with a built in bed with a TV on the opposite side of the room. Pointing toward another door she said, "The shower is in there. Take as much time as you need. You earned it Ash."

Thanking her I walked toward the shower.

"And by the way, there is antiseptic cream is on the counter. They didn't give me any band-aids however. The cream is for when I'm cooking and I cut myself."

Nodding my head, I walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I had totally forgotten about the cuts. Turning to face the mirror, I felt if time had stopped. There, staring right back at me was a totally different person. There standing was a person with my eyes. However, my hair was practically burnt off in many areas. It didn't even have the shine it once had. My face was covered in little cuts. My body was completely covered in dust and ashes. No wonder why the old little lady had given me the name Ash. My clothes were completely torn and worn out.

It was a good thing I didn't walk into the offices like this. What would people think. The princess of Orb in rags. I can picture the front newspaper covering the story. That was the last thing I wanted right now.

Now I understood why that guard didn't know who I was. I wouldn't even recognize myself. I smiled, as I touched the mirror gently. Here she was. A nobody.

And for the first time, I felt free. No worries about acting and dressing like a princess. No one to please but myself. Even during the war, I had Kisaka following me as a personal bodyguard. But now, there's no one behind my shoulder, looking after me.

Peeling my clothes off, I stepped into the shower and turned the water on. Feeling the hot water running down my body, I started to relax. I could feel my problems slipping away. All I wanted to do was just stay like this for a little bit more.

Stepping out of the shower, I wrapped the towel around my body and stood in front of the mirror. Washing my clothes in the sink, I left them to dry. I quickly took a nearby comb and brushed my hair. But it didn't matter what I did. I still looked horrible. There was no way I could face Athrun in the office like this.

I knew hundreds of people in Orb. But I couldn't call a single one. Wait a minute. What had happened to Lacus? Feeling my eyes become large, it finally hit me that Lacus had either made it out fine or she got injured in the blast as well. Fear over taking me, I stepped out of the bathroom fully dressed. Looking around, I noticed Luna still watching the TV. It seemed like the News was showing. Walking beside her, I tuned in as well. But was soon disappointed that it was on commercial.

Excusing myself, I walked into the hallway and back to the front desk. But only to be surprised that the secretary was gone. Taking the chance, I grab hold of the phone and quickly dialed Athrun's private line at the office. Athrun had informed me a year ago that he set a private line just for the two of us. And I was the only one who knew the number. While everyone else had a different line to call Athrun on.

Listening to the rings, I waited.

Finally someone picked up. I heard muffled tones in the background and then Athrun finally responded, "Yes?"

"Athrun!" I shouted hoarsely. I swallowed quickly, as I felt my throat beginning to burn once again.

"Who is this?" he asked angrily.

Trying to speak, I answered, "It's me!" But to no avail, my voice still sounded hoarse.

Listening to him take a deep breath, he responded back in the cold voice, "Look who every this is. I don't know who you are but you can go to hell!"

Blinking once and twice, I was shocked. Unable to respond back, he slammed the phone down.

That didn't sound like the Athrun I knew. He was always polite on the phone and to noble to say such things. What was going on. Something was terribly wrong. Deciding that maybe I just dialed the wrong numbered, I tried again.

While waiting, I noticed the newspaper on the desk. There in bold letters was CLINIC BOMBING. Along with it was a picture of the burned down clinic. Turning the paper around, I continued to read the article. It was only until I got to the bottom, I noticed a boxed article on the side.

It was at that moment, I felt like reality was finally crashing down on me. There in bold letters was "Minister Zala killed in bombing". Gently, putting the phone back on its cradle. I picked up the paper in shaking hands. This wasn't happening.

Walking back, I decided to ask Luna about the article. Darting the article quickly, I noticed a picture of Athrun kneeling down next to a body bag. Tears seemed to fall as she continued to read, "Newly running elected Chancellor of PLANT, Athrun Zala, identifies his wife's body at the scene. As a statement from Lacus Clyne says that both Cagalli and herself were visiting the clinic to check up on some business."

But how could Athrun identified the wrong body as her? Looking closely at the picture, I noticed the one detailed I missed before. There laying next to the body was all my belongings. I had left everything with that nurse named Sue.

Walking back into the room with Luna, I noticed the News was back on. Standing right in front of me was live scenes from the bombing.

"Terrible, isn't it?" Luna asked. "I feel bad for Athrun Zala. I think he would make a great Chancellor for PLANT. But he must be devastated to come back home and find his wife dead.

"Yes he must," I replied, watching as the police and others cleaned up. Realization finally hit me again. Athrun must of thought her phone call was some sort of cruel joke.

Flashing across the screen was a picture of that guard from before.

"Strange thing happened to that guard, Steve Parker."

Looking at her I asked, "What happened to him?"

"Awhile ago, the police informed the public that Parker fell asleep while driving home from the scene early this morning. He missed his exit and was pushing seventy. It interrupted my show call The Gate. It was showing women who worked as maids and servants all their lives and…"

"About the guard Luna?" I asked, getting angry enough that I wanted to strangle her for changing the subject.

"The police said he was dead before they were able to get him out of his car. He hit a light post and was going to fast before he was able to put on his brakes. The problem is that the guard had stated he remember seeing a guy with a hat running away from the clinic right before it exploded. The police never had a chance to ask for a description."

"And now his dead," I mumbled out loud.

Nodding her head, she took the nearby mop and walked out of the room.

Cold silver eyes flashed through my head. I also seen the bomber as well. Not once but twice.

Running out of the room, I passed Luna and headed straight for the desk. Dialing Athrun's number again, I waited for him to pick up.

The way he had looked at me was weird and awkward. However, now I realize that he had looked at me as if I was already dead. He knew that moments later the bomb would go off!

"Hello! Hello!" I heard Athrun's voice yell. "Who is this!" Realization hit her.

Placing the phone back down, I had to think of a plan. Or both Athrun and myself will be in danger. This bomber didn't hesitate to blow up the clinic or kill off Steve Parker to cover up his tracks. He won't hesitate to kill Athrun or me, if he knew I was still alive.

I remember that Yuli Amarifi had said he didn't want to harm Athrun in any way. And if she didn't stay dead like they think she is, then she'll be putting her family in danger. Feeling the tears falling down again, all I could think about was the mess I was in. And the only option I have left is.

Falling to the ground, all I could do it weep. Weep my heart out. Because all I am is alone. Alone in this world.

Alone and dead.

……………………&h ellip;………............................................. ............................................

(Athrun's POV)

"They hung up," I replied harshly. Putting the phone back, I leaned into my leather chair slowly.

"I can't believe people can be so cruel and play a joke like that," Lacus responded, hugging Kira even closer.

Looking at the two I nodded. But the one thing that got on my nerves was how the person learned the number. No one knew about the private line that I share with Cagalli. So who would call it.

Then again, if that phone rings one more time, I would just rip the phone out and chuck it out the window. Cagalli will no longer call from it. After all, he did see his wife being tucked into the body bag yesterday. I won't ever hear her voice ever again.

Hearing a knock on the door, I waited for who ever it was to come in. Watching the door open, Yuli Amarifi stepped in and closed the door behind him.

Smiling sadly at me, Yuli said, "Once again Athrun, I am deeply sorry for your loss."

Nodding my head in gratitude, I closed my eyes.

"I suppose there's a lot that must be done." I heard Lacus say.

"I just can't believe my baby sister is actually gone," Kira replied in s sorrowful tone.

"Baby sister? I always thought," Yuli started.

Feeling a little smile, I responded, "Cagalli had always consider herself to be the eldest. You can argue with her for hours about it and you will still lose."

The room felt silent. "If you want Athrun, I can have Patricia arrange everything for you." Yuli said. Patricia was my secretary. I was always able to count on her for everything that needed to be done.

"That isn't necessary" Kira inserted in. "I'll be able to handle everything."

Looking straight at Kira I nodded. "Make what-ever arrangements you want Kira. Notify anyone and invite anyone to the funeral. And if you can, please set a appointment with the funeral home. However, I deal with Cagalli's body. Once the hospital releases her body."

"There's a bigger issue at hand," Lacus said after moment later.

"What is it?" Kira asked.

"Whose going to tell Estelle that her mother is dead?" the room felt silent.

It felt like centuries until I finally responded, "I'm going to tell her."

Getting up quickly, I grabbed my things and decided that now would be a perfect time. Nodding my good-byes, I walked out of the room.

Everywhere I walked people would say how sorry they were. People who I don't even know.

Taking the elevator down to the parking lot, I started to think of ways to tell Estelle.

Taking out my keys, I opened the door to my car and quickly slid inside. Once inside I froze in place. There, sitting in the passenger seat were a banquet of flowers. The same banquet I was going to give Cagalli last night. To apologize from out little argument. She was so upset.

Laying my head against the steering wheel, I started to cry. Why did she have to die? Of all people at the clinic. Two people had died that day. A worker at the clinic and Cagalli. Why is it that she had to suffer so much. Why is it that she had to leave me.

 

Why?

………………&h ellip;……………............................. ...........................................................

Author's Notes:

Chapter 3 and done!

Chapter 4 Preview:

Athrun remembers the events of his arrival at home to him finding out about Cagalli's death. Along with telling Estelle about her mother's death.

Dearka and Miriallia are assigned to a new story/case.

Kira makes a big decision.

And lastly at the end, Yzak makes a appearance.