Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Selfish ❯ chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: not mine.

A/N: your reviews are really a great motivating factor in getting this chapter out. And I just want you to know… that I love you!! This is the fic with the longest chapters as well as the fic that is updated most frequently.

Recap:

10 minutes later, Nicol and Athrun had to report to the control room for a meeting so Kira headed towards room 34. Currently, he was wandering around the corridor looking for his room. Man! The ship's the biggest maze he had ever been in... Uh… excluding the first time he stepped foot onto campus. But he had to admit. He was lost

==========

Selfish

Chapter 3

==========

The corridors seem to go in every single direction. And Kira's heart was pounding hardly in his chest. Of course that could also be attributed to the fact that he's in ZAFT territory. The fear of not knowing anything, of being ignorant, of being unable to protect his friends, stung hard. The fear of having delivered a powerful weapon right into the hands of his enemy suffocated him. He was supposed to be neutral. Instead, he helped ZAFT. Exactly what was he doing? What was he thinking?

"Those despicable Naturals were only making use of you…" Athrun's words echoed in his mind. He repeated those words as he walked, just like a litany. Or were they? It was true that they blackmailed him into piloting the Strike. He didn't ask to be the pilot of Strike. He didn't ask to be responsible and protect his friends. Friends that were more than a little disgusted when they found out that he was a coordinator. They were jealous of him. He certainly didn't ask to be thrown into a war.

But this was war. There are no rules in war. The only person that is able to make the decisions, the person that is able to make the judgments, the only person able to end the war, is one and the same. That person is the victor. There would be no other. Perhaps they really did make use of him, and then maybe giving up strike is a form of revenge? The taunts of his childhood friends rang loudly. "He's a freak! Let's not play with him! Mummy says that all coordinators are bad."

Why would he fight for the very people that made his life miserable? Because he is a coordinator, He is the link between the present and the future.

Kira's feet led him to stop in front of a metal grill. He took his security card and slashed it through the card reader. It remained red. Kira shrugged, and moved into the next corridor. There was a small computer situated seemingly at no where. He bent down so that the screen was at eye-level. It showed that view into space. A beautiful sight. He touched the touch-pad. It changed into a menu. Examining the OS curiously, he found out that it was not very much different from the OS Orb and Earth used.

"403 gateway, opened. Virtual map of Versalius… revealed. Level 3 security granted. Room 34 situated 265 meters from station. Coordinates (368, 26.3, 0.2) confirmed. Nearest landmark… Hangar." Kira muttered, returning the screen to the video feedback.

… The hanger… perhaps it would be possible to see Strike again? No, he really shouldn't. It was bad enough being on enemy ground without gathering too much suspicion. He followed the memorized map and ended up in front of a door numbered `34' his room. Kira slashed the ID card through the card reader.

"Kira Yamato, access granted. Welcome" said a digital voice. It sounded cute. Really cute, the computer knew his name. Inside was pretty plain, a single built-in bed, desk, chair and a computer. He removed his dress shirt and plumped onto the bed. `Standard military smell'

"What are they going to do to me now?" Kira wondered aloud. He wasn't military, he definitely will not fight for ZAFT, he just want to be neutral, to be someone normal. But what are the chances of a ZAFT ship going into Orb just to deliver a civilian? And a civilian who knows military secrets. What are the chances of that? Highly unlikely. So what are they going to do with him? Kira shuddered.

It was also going to be a long long ride. What's there to do on a boring military ship? The computer in his room beeped. Kira startled. ZAFT must trust him not to betray them, giving him a computer, we could contact Archangel, we could contact Orb, he could contact the Earth Alliance. But he would not. He was a betrayer to his own people, he would not be that again. Kira thought of Athrun's words `those Naturals were only trying to make use of you. But now you're with me, everything will be okay.'

Those words rang true. It did seem as if Murrue were making use of him, they wanted him to protect them selflessly, using blackmail to get his cooperation. In the early Cosmic Era, Coordinators were created by Naturals to work. The superior physical and mental properties making it appropriate for them to work in outer space. But now, their weapons have turned against them. The coordinators would no longer work for the Naturals, they would be slaves not any longer. `I was a fool. Why did I fight so hard against the ideals of my people? We just want to be independent. We do not want to be taken advantage of anymore. The Naturals are fools; they shouldn't have tried to incur our wrath. They started the war by attacking Junius7. Those Naturals are just sadistic idiots. Yes, Sadistic for harming innocent Coordinators. Idiots, because they should have known that Naturals are no match for a genetically enhanced race. Foolish.'

Kira swung off the bed and peered at the screen. An message addressed to `Kira Yamato' from ` Rau le Creuset' . Kira wonder who that Creuset guy was.

"Open file 0001" Kira commanded in a clear voice. The message opened.

`Welcome Kira Yamato aboard Gamou. This is a ZAFT ship…" the rest were mundane details regarding the various parts of the ship he could not have access to, the meal plan, building plan and many other things.

"Close file 0001" Kira said before he even finished reading the entire message. It was too boring. There were better things to do. Like… playing computer games? That wasn't too bad an idea. Why would a military ship have games though? It wouldn't hurt to check, just in case. He opened a menu and searched under `games'. It had a few games that he used to have on his old laptop. The arcade style games that he would play until the high score was practically the best on campus. Oh yeah!! He was the champ man!! But that game kinda gets boring after a while. Oh well, there were others. Those fun shooting games.

However, the real thing is a far cry from a reality. And a shooting game, a war game cannot be compared to a real battle and a real war. The lives at stake, the political uproar, the financial ability to maintain the war, it was all part of a war. Kira shrugged. `This is a game, it's not real. I shall have fun I suppose.'

Kira clicked on `GUNDAM pilot v.2' it looked as if it were based on the real life Mobile suits and amour. The character designs could be calibrated very specifically, definitely the work of a professional. Kira's heart started beating wildly in his chest, it was going to be exciting, he could tell.

===== ===== =====

4 hours later, Kira saved the game and encoded the file under a secure code as he walked out of his room stretching like a feline. The game was extremely fun! It was almost like piloting a real GUNDAM, just without the injuries and some other equipment. The OS was slightly modified from the original GAT-X105, it was also different from his own self-programmed OS. It was easier to pilot than the old Operating System, Kira would imagine it to be a modification of the original. He didn't like the way they changed the main controls, so he changed it a little to suit himself.

But now, Kira was hungry, so he headed towards the cafeteria. The previous meal had been pretty delicious; it wasn't as bad as the food on the Archangel. It seemed as if the superior genes of coordinators made its way to cooking as well. The meals were balanced, but hardly lacking in any nutrients. Kira wondered mildly if they stocked stuff like junk food and soda on board. He did miss that stuff, unhealthy as it is. In the cafeteria, the ZAFT soldiers were seen to visibly tense up when Kira entered the room. The tension was nearly tangible in the air he breathed. Kira bit his lip, perhaps it would be better if he brought the food to his room and eat there instead. By the way, where was Nicol and Athrun when he needed them, had the meeting finished?

===== ===== =====

"Meeting complete. Do you understand?" asked Commander Creuset. All 4 Gundam pilots saluted and stood at attention.

"Dismissed."

The boys filed out of the room in a single file. Athrun didn't look very happy with the arrangements and so did Nicol, Dearka couldn't have cared less, but Yzak looked positively glad. It seemed that plans were up, and the Strike's pilot would inevitably be affected. It would seem something bad for Kira, Yzak would get his revenge. The first action would be to strip the Strike pilot of his post, then, the games would begin.