Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Specters ❯ Chapter4 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yes, I finally got another chapter of Specters out. You all were probably wondering what happened to it. It's not dead, just being difficult. I'm sorry if this chapter seems a bit choppy. I think it is, but I just can't seem to write what I want. *sigh* Anyway, I hope you enjoy this...

Warnings: Cliffhanger!

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters! I put them through to much emotional (and physical) pain form me to own them.

Specters

Chapter 4

By: Penybright

Merle was disappointed to find the couple silent and in their own little worlds when she returned. She was beginning to understand Heero's personality, and Relena' as well. Heero was withdrawn, afraid of letting anyone get close. He didn't want to be hurt again. The young woman was the opposite. She was kind and caring, all to often opening herself up to emotional hurts, but she made the same mistakes over and over again. The two were so much like Hitomi and Van. She almost wanted to cry at the similarity. Her latest memories of the King and Queen of Fanelia, were not happy ones. Ever since...

"Merle?"

Merle snapped out of the daze she hadn't even realized she was in.

"I'm sorry," she laughed at herself. "I seem to do that more often lately... Breakfast?"

She set down the tray laden with food, and advanced towards Heero. A soon as she started in Heero's direction, he leveled a fierce glare at her.

"Maybe you should help him sit up," Merle suggested to Relena.

Relena stood up to help Heero, but he had already begun to push himself up into a sitting position.

"Stubborn as ever," Relena muttered, going back to her seat.

"I can see he is going to be a fun patient," Merle agreed. Heero watched the two carefully. He knew this wasn't going to be good. If he only knew...

Heero soon discovered that fighting an army of mobile dolls was preferable to being injured and stuck in a house with two women. Two overprotective, stubborn women at that. Breakfast that first morning had been humiliating. Neither of them would allow Heero to feed himself. No amount of glares or growls got his way either.

"I'm not having you pulling out the fine stitching I did on your back," Merle had chastised the one afternoon. Relena seemed to find enjoyment in his unease. Heero vowed to never let a woman take care of him when he was ill ever again.

The weeks flew by quickly for Relena. Merle was all to happy to have the company of another woman to talk to. In the afternoons, Merle would explain to Relena about Gaea. It was like a history lesson everyday, and Relena found all of it fascinating.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

It had been about a month since Relena and Heero had found themselves on Gaea. While they enjoyed the rustic atmosphere around them, they both wanted to be home where they belonged. Relena often worried about what her absence had set in action. How were her brother and Noin? What had she missed, and who was filling her position?

Heero had been trying to figure out how they'd arrived on the mysterious planet. He spent many an evening questioning Merle. She didn't seem to know much, except that the power of a wish had brought them there. Heero argued the point that neither of them had wished themselves to Gaea. He knew Merle had more knowledge than she was letting on. He could tell by the slight glimmer of apprehension in her eyes. Two days later, an event occurred that forced Merle to reveal what she knew.

Merle and Relena were inside talking, as Heero roamed around the snow laden yard. He had taken to doing that a lot lately. He seemed to be growing more restless by the day, and although Heero had said nothing, Relena knew something was wrong. She noticed that he seemed to favor his back, and it shouldn't have been bothering him so much at that point.

Relena glanced out one of the few windows the small cottage had, her eyes widening in surprise.

"What's wrong?" Merle asked quickly, seeing Relena's anxious expression.

"Something's wrong with Heero," Relena blurted out as she quickly stood and made her way to the door. Merle followed close behind, not knowing what to expect.

Heero was leaning heavily against the fence surrounding the chicken shed. His knuckles were turning white from his desperate grip, a grimace of pain marring his face.

"Heero, what's wrong?" Relena asked, distraught, as she rushed to his side.

"My... back..." he managed to grit out before collapsing to his knees. Relena cautiously reached a hand out towards him. She jerked it back as Heero let loose a wild, doleful cry. She watched in shock, and Merle in horrified dread, as downy wings seemingly exploded from Heero's back.

"I-impossible!" Merle breathed. "No!" she cried as Heero let out a pained groan, his immaculate wings suddenly turning a sooty black.

Heero laid in the snow, feeling the cooling comfort of the icy snow against his cheek and body. His back was on fire, and his body felt uncomfortably hot. Pain clouded his mind as he lay unmoving.

Relena swallowed thickly, inching closer to Heero. He had yet to move or utter a sound. He flinched when she touched his shoulder. She gasped at how warm he felt, and then understood.

"Merle, help me get him inside. He's got a fever."

Merle approached warily. With amazing tenderness, she helped Relena get Heero up, careful of his limp wings.

"Merle... What-What happened to him? Why did you scream when his wings turned black?"

Relena was afraid of the answer, but she had to know the truth.

"On Gaea, their is an ancient race, a cursed race, called the Atlanteans or Draconinans. They are the descendants of the people of Atlantis, the creators of out world in a way. The trait that marks them apart from others, is their wings."

Merle stopped her explanation as they tried to make Heero comfortable on the bed, gently shifting and smoothing out his wings, as he twitched at every gentle caress.

"Atlanteans have glorious white wings that..." Merle paused, taking a deep breath. "When an Atlantean's time is near, they know because... because their wings... turn black."

"No!" Relena whispered in shock, as tears misted her eyes. Heero couldn't die!

~ Oooh! Cliffhanger! Dun, dun, dun!!!!! I know, I'm evil. I haven't had a new chapter out in about a month, and then I leave you with this... Ah well, at least it'll keep you on your toes! And maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to get the next chapter out sooner. I'm hoping. (Please don't kill meeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!)