Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Specters ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ Finally, the next chapter is here! Ah, I'm actually getting something accomplished! I'm just so productive lately...

Disclaimer: Yup, I don't own the characters. Silly you if you thought otherwise.

Specters

Chapter 5

By: Penybright

Relena turned to face Merle with teary eyes.

"Can't you do anything to help him? Isn't there something we can do?"

Merle shook her head sadly.

"I'm afraid I don't know much about the condition."

"But, Heero can't die. He just can't!"

Relena was left to stare with dread at Heero's pained face as Merle left to get a bowl of water and a cloth. Her stomach twisted in knots as she watched him, her eyes scrunched in confusion. She didn't understand what was going on. How could Heero be one of the Draconians Merle spoke of? Heero was from Earth, not Gaea... wasn't he? It didn't make any sense. How could Heero possibly be from Gaea? It was impossible, but...

Relena shifted her gaze to the shimmering ebony wings that flopped off the bed at odd angels. Tentatively, she reached a hand forward, fingers outstretched. Softly, her fingers skimmed against one sable feather. Heero stirred, reacting to her touch. She snatched her hand away as he groaned and arched off the bed. A deep shudder wracked his body as his wing tips shimmered, turned a pristine white, and he collapsed back to the bed, his wings gone.

Merle walked into the room moments later, surprised to find Heero's wings gone.

"Where... What happened?" she queried as she set the basin of water by the bed.

"I... He... His wing tips turned white, and then they just... disappeared," Relena stuttered, still in shock.

"His wing tips turned white?" Merle said hopefully.

"Yes," Relena responded slowly, glancing uneasily at Heero's prone form. "Does this mean he's going to be okay?" she asked expectantly.

"I don't know," Merle uttered, staring at the source of their worry. "I've never heard of anything like this before. I'm no expert on the subject either... There might be someone who could help you..."

"Who?!"

"If you can get an audience with him, the King of Fanelia may be able to help you."

"The King?"

Merle nodded, and Relena thought it over for a moment.

"As soon as Heero's well enough, we'll go," she said decisively. Merle sighed sadly.

"I can't say that I like you going on your own, but..."

"You won't be coming with us?"

"No. I don't want... No, I won't be coming with you. Besides, I can't leave my cottage unattended for too long."

Relena gave an absentminded nod as she pondered why Merle was so reluctant to go to Fanelia.

88888888888

As soon as Heero recovered from his fever, the three of them packed food and supplies. Merle was strangely quite and subdued as they went about their preparations. After the incident, Heero seemed more withdrawn as well. Relena often found him brooding around the cottage grounds. She'd tried to talk it out with him, but he was unresponsive. She was determined to corner him once they were alone, and get him to talk. She wasn't going to put up with his moodiness the entire way to Fanelia. After all, he had agreed to go, so something had to be troubling him. It wasn't often that Heero admitted needing help, let alone seeking out someone to help him. So, two weeks after his collapse, the pair departed for Fanelia.

Merle stood on the doorstep of her cottage, watching the duo disappear into the woods. She had given them clear directions, and could only hope that they didn't encounter any problems. The countryside was rather unpredictable, and there was the case of dragons... Merle knew Heero would protect Relena, but who was going to look after him? There was something about the young man; he seemed so familiar. With a heavy sigh, Merle turned back into her cottage. She'd probably never see them again, so it was best if she just forgot about them.

88888888888888

Relena glanced at Heero's profile, sighing inwardly. He was brooding, again. And, he had yet to say a word to her. It had been almost three hours!

"Heero, I know---"

Relena was abruptly cut off as Heero clamped a hand over her mouth. He quickly pulled her back behind a large tree trunk, not saying a word. Relena's eyes widened as she watched a unit of armed soldiers pass where the two of them had just been. Once they had passed Relena turned to face Heero, quickly stumbling back and blushing furiously. When she had turned, her lips had skimmed lightly along Heero's neck.

"I- I'm sorry. I didn't..." she stammered in embarrassment.

Heero simply nodded and turned, starting to move forward one more. He was grateful that Relena didn't rush up to walk beside him. He didn't want her to see the faint tinge on pink marring his cheeks. He hadn't been expecting her to move, and... Unconsciously, Heero lifted his hand to his neck. He could still feel her warm breath...

'Stop it! Stop it!' he mentally berated himself. 'She's your friend, nothing more.'

'You'd like it if she were more, much more...' a smug voice whispered in his mind before going silent.

"I am not going to start arguing with myself," Heero muttered irritably.

"What was that?" Relena said in distraction. Heero grunted in response and chose not to answer. Relena seemed to be ignoring him for the moment anyway. Pushing his previous thoughts aside, Heero concentrated on where he was going. He didn't believe the troop that had passed by were friendly. He didn't want to chance a run in with them, especially since the light was beginning to wane.

As dusk approached, the silence in the surrounding woods began to grow heavier, seeming to press down on the two travelers.

"Heero, something doesn't feel right," Relena murmured, glancing uneasily through the rows of trees. Heero nodded, his sharp eyes scanning treetops and moss covered ground. He couldn't see anything, but that didn't mean there wasn't something out there.

"It's too quiet," Relena whispered, rubbing her arms in nervousness. Heero continued to scan the surrounding area, his sense of unease growing with each passing moment of oppressed silence. Wary, and not sure of what was happening, Heero tugged on Relena's hand in an indication for her to follow him. She caught the hint quickly, clinging to his hand as a source of reassurance. They moved forward cautiously, eyes straining for any sound of... something.

Heero stopped abruptly, causing Relena to bump into him. She choked back a muffled squeak when she realized it was only Heero. She had been paying attention more to their surroundings than where they were going. Her hand flew to her mouth, eyes growing wide as she stared ahead. A thick wall of mist barred their passage, a glowing pair of large serpentine eyes gleaming ferally through the heavy fog.

~ *insane laughter* I left you with another cliffhanger!!!!!!!!!!! *more insane laughter*