Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ G-men ❯ Betrayal and Intrigue ( Chapter 25 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Auothor's Notes: For the YYH fans following my 'Unwanted' fic, the history of the twins is the story told in that fic, so you should consider future parts of this as spoilers for that fic. I know, it's odd, but there are a lot of details in 'Unwanted' that the G-boys will never know about in this fic, so having it as a separate story makes it better (especially for the YYH fans who want to know how Hiei and Kurama met, and Hiei's odd relationship with Yukina). If you *aren't* reading that side fic, then expect to be left wondering in this one - I don't plan to explain everything here because there are some things the G-boys don't need to know. ^.~
This fic is a vague fusion with the original X-men animated series.
Category: Anime, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yaoi, AU
Warnings: shonen ai, slight humor, slight angst
Pairings: 1x2, 3x4, KuramaxHiei, will be 6x5
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatomina@hotmail.com
Website/Complete Archive: http://www.geocities.com/arigatomina

G-men

Part 25: Betrayal and Intrigue

A soft tapping made the bed shift beside him, Duo groaning at both the movement and the sound. Heero answered the summons with a few low murmured words before returning to his side. Silence, then a light tug on the blankets the longhaired boy had burrowed beneath was Heero's way of gaining his attention. Duo grumbled, digging deeper into his cocoon.

"Duo."

"It's too early," Duo groaned, hiding his head beneath the pillow. "It can't be time to get up already..."

"It is early," Heero said. "But we need to meet with the others now, in case the two do join us for breakfast."

"It really is early?" Duo lifted the edge of his pillow, blinking a bleary violet eye up at the boy. "Then why are you bugging me now?"

Heero's eyebrow twitched and he glowered. "I just told you why, we need to meet with the others now. Get up." With a swift tug, he jerked the blanket free, baring Duo's lanky form and watching as it contracted into a fetal curl.

"Mm...I want coffee..."

"You can have some downstairs. Wufei said the cafeteria is always stocked, so that's not a problem." The boy twitched at this, and Heero had the distinct impression Duo's ears had perked. Those violet eyes did seem a bit brighter when they blinked groggily up at him. Turning away, he moved to get dressed for the day. And eventually he heard the sounds of his lover shifting as well. "I think Wufei has some news for us to add to what I found. He's gone to get wake the others, so the sooner you get ready the better."

"Don't rush me," Duo grumbled, stalking into the bathroom. His hair was frizzed from sleep and he frowned at it, tugging the edge of his braid. "No time for a shower, then."

"You can take one tonight," Heero called. He was bent over his computer, securing it so no one would be able to use it while they were gone. There probably wasn't need for that, but he never took chances. A few codes and the entire system was locked down. No one would be able to trace what he'd looked up last night without knowing exactly what to enter. He straightened slowly before stepping to the wall and doing a few stretches that were better than any cup of caffeine. Duo could learn from that. The thought made him smirk, and he eased into the bathroom doorway, staring at the boy in question.

Duo's hair was undone, and he winced as the edges fuzzed in a fluffy staticy mane. "Man..." A soft sound caught his ear, his eyes snapping over to glare at Heero's smirk. "Not a word," he warned, running his brush through the mass and making long strands cling to his arm. "It's your fault I can't even take a shower. Waking me up early and then making fun of my hair when it's your fault to begin with..." He was fairly ripping the brush through his hair by the time a hand caught his wrist, and he blinked, still frowning. "What?"

"I wasn't making fun of your hair," Heero smirked, catching a hand in the aforementioned mass. "You know I like it, fuzzy or not."

"It's only fuzzy because-" Lips cut him off, and Duo's eyes widened at the aggression behind them. It was way too early to be so...

Wrapping an arm around the slender boy's waist, Heero pressed closer to him, his other hand still curled in that thick hair. He didn't pull back until Duo made a muffled sound against his mouth. And he smirked at the dazed look in those violet eyes. "I know, no shower. But I like it fuzzy, like it's been pet too long."

"Wha...pet too long?!" Another far too pationate kiss smothered his outrage, and Duo was gasping by the time the boy pulled away again. "Heero...it's too early for that..."

"Better than you yelling at me," Heero commented, ducking his head to press a light kiss on the boy's neck. "Now braid your hair and let's go. I'll wash it for you tonight...if you want."

Blinking sharply at that, Duo gave a dumb nod and received a light pat on his cheek. The other boy abruptly turned and left the bathroom, Duo still staring after him. He didn't even remember dropping his brush. It was nearly a minute before his mind snapped back into motion and he scowled. "You're way too fiesty in the mornings!" A low laugh answered him from the bedroom, and he sniffed, crouching to get the brush. "And I thought I was the energetic one..."

* * *

"Is there anything you'd like for breakfast this morning?" Quatre's smile faltered a bit at the flury of thoughts that rushed through the woman's mind.

"How long are you going to keep me here?" Une demanded, her voice harsh and low. "Do you really think acting nice is going to change the fact that you're planning to use me against Treize-sama?"

"I'm trying to help you," Quatre said, his voice soft. "You don't like to be used by anyone, do you?"

"Of course not!"

"And Treize used you." Cold brown eyes shifted away from him sharply, but Quatre knew she didn't agree. She just didn't want to speak to him. With a light prod, he had those eyes turning back to him, not lighter, but a warmer sheen to the steady brown. "Mint?"

"I used to drink mint tea with my brother," Une drawled, her voice soft and distant. "I'd make it myself. He liked it better that way."

"I'll bring you some soon," Quatre promised. His smile was gentle, but it hurt to see her blink in vague confusion before her face shifted back to that sharp look of hate.

"Stay out of my head!" Une snapped, crushing a hand over her temple.

Trowa pushed away from his place near the door, catching Quatre's gaze. "We should go now."

"I'm going to lock the door behind us," Quatre said, the woman's dark eyes snapping to him. "It shouldn't be too long."

"You're welcome to come with us," Trowa commented, his gaze shifting to the side. The woman flinched, turning away sharply.

"No."

"All right, then. We'll be back soon." Letting Trowa preceed him, Quatre nodded before locking her in. The tall boy placed a steady hand on his shoulder and he sighed when he turned to him. "It's so strange...knowing her memories. I can say the exact thing to touch her gentle side, playing on fond memories from her past. But the harsh part of her doesn't seem to remember them at all. Either that, or she just doesn't feel the same happiness about those memories that her softer side does."

"More likely she's trying to hide any sort of weakness," Trowa said. "As far as her childhood goes, both sides of her remember that. But Treize wouldn't want her to hold onto anything that would make her soft, so she ignores those things, denies them."

"What sort of person would do that?"

"Someone who's out to make an obedient weapon." The two boys turned sharply, and Heero nodded to them. "I can see Treize's reasoning in this. To make her heartless, the quickest way would be to bury or deny anything that is soft."

"Wufei said we should go down early," Quatre said. "So I wanted to stop by here first."

"That's fine." A wide yawn caught his eye, and Heero sniffed at the sleepy boy beside him. "Wufei and Zechs are probably in the cafeteria by now, waiting for us."

"And we can't keep them waiting," Duo muttered, smothering another yawn and blinking grumpily at Quatre's smile. "What are you grinning about?"

"You," Heero said. He gave the longhaired boy a quick prod, turning him toward the stairwell. "If you move quick you can have your drug sooner."

"Hey! Don't knock caffeine like that! There's nothing wrong with a quick pick-me-up in the morning. Not everyone can just snap his fingers and be wide awake, you know. And I wouldn't be so tired if you hadn't woken me up with your snooping last night."

Trowa raised an eyebrow at him, and Heero shook his head. "I was looking up those two. I'll tell what I found once we reach the others."

Wufei and Zechs were waiting for them in the cafeteria, just as Heero had predicted. The two boys were about the only ones there, one or two others spotting the tables. A glance at the clock on the far wall told Duo why, and he nearly groaned in annoyance. He could see why they'd have to get up early if they were going to have some sneaky meeting before seeing Kurama, but six in the morning? That was just crazy. "I could have slept at least another hour," he muttered, glaring when Heero sighed.

"Go get some coffee and sugar," Heero said. "This time you can eat while we talk."

"Thanks so much." Rolling his eyes at the boy, Duo wandered off to the food. Sure enough there were pastries displayed in little soft boxes beneath the plastic cases. He didn't know how fresh they were, but they didn't look stale. Either way, he'd find out soon enough. Snatching up two that looked to have some sort of sugary filling, he joined Trowa at the beverages. "How's the tea choices?"

"Mint and cinnamon," Quatre smiled. "But you could use one of the flavored creamers if you like."

"Oh no," Duo laughed, waving a hand at him. "I was just curious. I need coffee, tea's just not strong enough for me."

The boy nearly bounced over to pour himself a cup, and Quatre smiled. Whether he was sleepy or not, Duo didn't really look like he needed an extra boost. With tea in hand, he followed Trowa as they moved to join the others at a nearby table. It was far enough away from the few people in the cafeteria that they had some privacy, so that was good. Wufei looked up with a bland smile, and he blinked in surprise. The black-haired boy looked as tired as Duo did, vague shadows under his dark eyes. "Were you up late as well?"

"I followed some suspicious characters last night," Wufei drawled, smirking at the blonde. "They turned out to be students, and poor sneaks at that. But they did tell me some rumors about that pair downstairs. It seems they have quite a reputation in the town, explains why people were avoiding them yesterday."

"I've learned about them as well," Heero said. "I ran some searches last night and I think I've identified Hiei and Yukina."

Zechs turned to him, nodding. "You go first, then we'll see if it matches what Wufei found."

Heero explained his findings, telling about the reported death and his suspicions about OZ and the attempted assassination. "But without a last name to go by, I couldn't find any information on Kurama. And there's no reference to him in the attack, not in the tabloids or the official report. I'm only assuming he came here the same time Hiei did."

"I didn't know there was an attack," Zechs said, frowning at the table. "I knew my father had died, and that it was from natural causes, but that's it."

"The report was kept as private as possible," Heero nodded. "Only the local area has record of it. And Relena never mentioned it to you?"

"No, but I'll ask her about it this afternoon."

"I'd rather you looked into Kurama this afternoon," Heero said. A dark glare hit him, but he ignored it. "We need to know how he met Hiei, and what he did before he came here. If he's working for OZ, he has a great guise here. Searching his memories would turn that up, right?"

"Yes." Zechs frowned, not wanting to remind them, but did anyway. "That's how I learned about all of you, reading memories more than thoughts."

"Will it take time, or can you get it all in one try? If you can't use telepathy around Hiei, we'd have to separate the two of them, and it could be difficult to have them apart for very long."

"It would only take a minute or two." Closing his eyes, Zechs paused for a moment before shaking his head. "I could do it now, but there seems to be some sort of barrier downstairs that blocks me out. That's probably to keep telepaths from being affected when Hiei uses his powers."

"They did say that's why the area is restricted," Wufei nodded. "It would make sense to have some sort of ward to protect the students."

Quatre had caught Duo's angry expression, and he frowned, his eyes moving from Heero to Zechs. "If you really think Kurama's a spy, why not question him first? We still don't know if he'd hide his past from us, we never asked anything."

"Don't bother," Duo muttered, still glaring at Heero. "I already tried to tell him that, but he won't listen."

"This is the last time I'm going to say this," Heero rounded, his voice tense. "We can't afford to take chances, or to trust anyone that quickly."

"From the rumors I've heard, Hiei seems to be the one people are afraid of," Wufei commented. The others turned to look at him, and he told about his stint last night, and the pair he'd followed. "According to them, Hiei *was* here during the attempt. They were both students at the time, so I got a firsthand account of what happened. It happened in the middle of the afternoon, so there were a lot of students on the front lawn when the missile was dropped, and more people in the town within sight of the manor. Yusuke said the moment the craft went over, Hiei showed up, like he was waiting for it. He'd never seen him until then, but he guesses Hiei must have been nearby, close enough to get there in a flash. I'd say he was right about that. Hiei was probably keeping an eye on the place."

"Why would he do that?" Quatre asked.

"Think about it," Duo frowned, glancing over at the blonde boy. "If he was separated from Yukina, and he didn't show up here for five years, he was probably looking for her. I know I'd want to find my sister if it were me."

"But for him to find her right when he was needed? I'd wager he was watching the place for a while before he showed himself." Heero turned back to Wufei when the Chinese boy nodded.

"I agree. Yusuke said Hiei flashed into the yard right as the plane passed, and that he used some sort of black attack on both the missile and the craft. But he wasn't alone, Kurama got there a few seconds after he did, in a white form." Wufei glanced over at Duo. "You said something about seeing someone with white hair and a tail, didn't you?" The boy nodded with wide eyes. "That sounds like what Yusuke described. I think Hiei must have had some trouble using the attack, because Kurama had to help him."

"He used black flame as well?" Heero asked sharply, his eyes narrowing. "He didn't say anything about having that sort of talent."

"No," Wufei said, "not like that. Yusuke says he crouched behind Hiei and wrapped his arms around him, and the two of them glowed right before the attack. It sounds more like they shared energy of some sort. And the attack was a black dragon, but one made of flame. That must be the kokoryuuha Kurama mentioned."

"Yeah," Duo said slowly. "I saw that. Of course, I was on my back at the time, but it definitely went high enough that it could take out a plane, or a missile being dropped."

"And according to Yusuke, the attack Hiei sent out went in a slight curve, knocking the explosion so it didn't land directly over the manor but a few yards behind it." Wufei nodded when Heero raised an eyebrow at him. "I'd say the report failed to mention that. But the rest fits - there was some shaking, no damage, and no one was injured aside from Hiei."

Duo blinked. "He was injured?"

"I think it was the same thing we saw," Wufei said. "He passed out immediately after using it. Kurama did mention that he went comatose, and that it used to take longer before he woke. Yusuke said Relena came out then, and Kurama took him inside. Two days later and Kurama was mixing with the students, and it seems most people get along with him. They didn't start training students until a few months back, and most of the school seems to go along as if they're not here. Yusuke and Kuwabara didn't know anything about Relena using them to guard from future attacks, just that she lets them stay without going to classes."

"So they're a mystery even to the students," Duo said. "I bet she tells anyone who asks to ask Kurama, and not just us. I guess it's because they saved the school from the attack - that would explain why she's grateful to them."

"The only thing students know is that they're both S class, and that Hiei is scary." Violet eyes snapped to him, and Wufei smirked. "They're called the 'demons' around here, at least that's what Yusuke said. But of them, Kurama's the only one most people have ever talked to. And here's something for you, rumor has it they're either lovers or related." The longhaired boy snickered, and he nodded, his eyes glinting with humor. "I don't know about that one, but no one seems to know Hiei and Yukina are related. We'd do well to keep that to ourselves."

"Kurama did ask that we not tell Hiei she was down there," Quatre recalled. "But if he came here for her, I'm surprised people wouldn't know it. Miss Yukina didn't seem like the type of person to hide something like that. And she certainly wasn't ashamed of being close to him."

"Well," Duo smiled, "she did blush pretty bad when she was snuggling yesterday."

"Still, if the students don't know they're related, and Kurama and Yukina were open to us about them being related..." The blonde boy trailed off, his gaze meeting Duo's.

"He was pretty open with us, but not with the rest of the students." Turning to Heero, Duo sniffed. "Not the sort of thing you'd expect from an OZ spy."

"I'm not saying it again."

Duo glowered, folding his arms and shifting angrily in his seat. "Fine. I'll just work on Zechs, then." Pale blue eyes widened when he turned, and he sent a blistering look of disapproval at the man.

Very uncomfortable, Zechs dropped his eyes. "I'm responsible for letting Une get past us. I won't let that happen again. So unless Trowa or Quatre want to do this, I have to."

"Trowa isn't going to do it," Quatre said firmly. He placed a hand on the tall boy's shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze before looking over. "Right?" The boy winced a bit, giving him a weak smile and a nod. "You guys are on your own with this one. I agree with Duo - unless we ask first and give them a chance to tell us themselves, there's no reason to pry."

Zechs sighed, accepting Trowa's shrug. He didn't blame the boy. Having seen Quatre angry, he knew why Trowa would be reluctant to go against him. And really, it was better that he do it. It would give him a chance to make up for his mistake with Une. Wufei sent him a knowing look and he gave a pained smile. "That just leaves me, then."

"Good," Heero said. "So now the question is how to get Kurama into the open. If it's warded downstairs, we'll have to lure him out, or wait until he comes out for another of their outdoor training sessions."

Wufei turned to him, nodding. "Yusuke says they do that a lot. And they were outside last night."

"And they're out right now," Duo cut in, his voice soft. The others followed his gaze, spotting the two as they entered the cafeteria. "Guess they do come up for food."

Heero exchanged a look with Zechs, and the white-haired man gave a subtle nod. "I'll wait till he's distracted," Zechs said softly. The two teens in question headed for the coffee, and he wondered if they'd noticed them yet. But this was answered when they turned and Kurama sent them a smile.

"You're up early," Kurama commented, taking a seat near Trowa. Hiei joined him silently, not giving more than a cursory glance over the six of them.

"We were hoping to start after breakfast," Quatre said, his voice tentative. He felt very uncomfortable when the redhead gave him another slight smile. This was the person they suspected as a spy? If anyone were dangerous looking, it was the dark-haired boy. Hiei was glaring into his coffee, practically exuding bad vibes. "And we didn't know exactly what time you had in mind."

"Ah," Kurama nodded. "We generally get up early. Any time after seven and you can be sure we're awake." His eyes darted to the side, and he smirked at his quiet friend. "Hiei doesn't believe in sleeping after the sun is up unless it's from exhaustion." Dark red eyes flicked up to him, a soft snort the only answer to that barb. Kurama turned back to the blonde boy who'd spoken to him. "Did you have anyone in mind you'd like to start with?"

"Well," Quatre said, choosing his words carefully. "Trowa and I have plans for today, but otherwise whoever you would like to work with would be fine."

"I'd say Wufei and Zechs, then," Kurama said. "Duo can practice his invisibility without guidance, and I can work on lightning with Wufei. It would be best to do that outdoors, of course. But it's warm enough that it shouldn't be a problem, even this early in the morning."

Silence lapsed as they ate, and Zechs focused on the redhead sitting across and over from him. A glance was all it took to make contact and he shifted past recent memories, identifying emotions and scenes more than concrete images. Hiei, trees, green, life, energy, adrenaline, fast, powerful, stubborn, attractive. Shifting away from the last one, Zechs moved deeper, past what seemed to be glimpses of the outdoor training Duo had told them about. Students, Yukina, sweet, jealousy, bitterness, tender, sympathy, Relena, worry, anger, fear, desperation. This caught his attention and he hesitated, taking in the visual details along with the random thoughts. Not powerful enough, too fast, couldn't catch him, urgency, relief, stress, not strong enough, too soon, turn, control, manipulation, control, cover him. Dark fire, a scream as it ripped free inches from his hidden head, holding tight to the powerful body that sought to control the beast. This was the dragon, then, the assassination attempt. It must have been the first time he'd used it because Kurama's thoughts were filled with too much uncertainty. But that wasn't what he was looking for. He had to go deeper, further back. He needed to know where the redhead was before the two met, his origins, his history.

The thoughts were darker as he went back, but still that one presence was there with them all. Cold, hunger, worry, sympathy, Hiei, comfort, exhaustion, bitterness, not his own. Zechs frowned, not really looking at the cup in his hands as he took a breath from it. How long had they been together? He'd have to pick a specific point to focus on, the first meeting. This took him in suddenly, deep into a well of emotions more powerful than any of the others he'd touched. Darkness, pain, fear, confusion, tired, so tired and why. The images hit him, nearly as strong as the thoughts and emotions, the real memories themselves sharp in the mind he read. Strangers, in the darkness, cold around him, struggling, no defense, no life close enough to reach with his power, pain and confusion, why, wetness, warm liquid showering him, copper on his mouth, thick on his face, the figures falling away in pieces, pieces, how, bits of cloth catching on his cheek, a dark figure, frightening, blazing blood-red eyes, a bright blade, cut them into pieces, fear, who, stranger, but who, a voice, low, cold, powerful. Zechs pushed hard to see the images better, to sharpen the focus and found himself staring into icy red eyes, death promised on that glare. And hot fire burst in his temples, burning so suddenly he nearly cried out from the pain. He was shoved back, thrown out until he reeled away from the table, blinking in confusion. Hiei was standing beside him.

"How dare you..."

Quatre blanched, Duo going just as white, but Zechs jerked in surprise. None of them had seen the boy move, or even known whether Zechs was reading the redhead yet. How had he known with his eye warded? Zechs froze, staring at Hiei. He had no idea what to say to him.

"I should kill you now," Hiei whispered, his low voice almost too soft to reach the others, his eyes literally blazing a dark reddish black fire.

Kurama flinched, standing quickly and rounding the table to place a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Hiei?"

"You have no right," the boy continued, not seeming to notice his friend. Zechs was still staring back at him, and he moved suddenly, placing his palm over the man's forehead. The band on his jagan flashed darkly, and Zechs gasped. "You want memories? Get past me and you can have as many as you want. Touch his again and I kill you."

Kurama's eyes dimmed abruptly, his gaze dropping to Zechs. "Is that it? You were reading me?"

That hot hand left him, and Zechs pressed his temples, blinking bloodshot eyes up at the pair. He didn't have to probe to read the reproach written in Kurama's gaze. "I..."

"I would have told you," Kurama said, his voice soft and neutral. "There was no need to invade my mind. I'd sooner tell than have you do that."

"No," Hiei said sharply, pushing the redhead back. His eyes snapped to Zechs, and he gave the man a feral grin. "No...he wants to invade, let him. Get past my blocks and you can take what you like. Every single memory, you can have them all. A nice reward for mastering your talent." His grin widened, and the man leaned away from it. "The best motivation, right?"

There was something both unnerving and inhuman about that expression, combined with the red eyes that glared at him. Demon. He could see that now, where that name had come from. Zechs held his silence, not sure what to say. If the two thought it were his idea alone it would be better for all of them. Hiei's eyes narrowed, and he caught his breath. Could he read minds as well? Kurama had said he 'saw things' but not that he read minds, only that he blocked mindreaders. But that glaring gaze seemed to see right to the core of him.

"Accept the challenge," Hiei spat, his eyes snapping over to Quatre. The blonde boy flinched, and he passed over him, looking to Trowa instead. That one returned his glare with a steady gaze and he nodded before directing his eyes to Zechs again. "If one of them touches him, I'll kill you first. If you do it, I'll kill you slowly. Pass my block and you can have my memories. It's nothing to me. But you can't have his."

"Hiei..."

"Do you accept?" The white-haired man gave a slow nod, and Hiei flashed another of those feral grins. "Good. And don't think to go back on this. I don't have to be near him to know."

Kurama gave a dark frown when Hiei turned to face him. "Hiei, there's no need for this. If they want to know about me, I have no secrets. I can just tell them. There's no *need* to take anyone's memories."

"No," Hiei said sharply. He turned his head, letting his gaze slide over the males watching him, and then looked back to Kurama. "They could have asked. He chose to force his way in. He'll have to force his way past *me* if he wants answers now. Tell them nothing." The redhead frowned at him, and he returned that, a slight warning growl in his throat. This was going to be an argument. Kurama saw that as well.

Turning back to the others, Kurama closed his eyes for a moment before looking to Duo. He stared at the boy's wide eyes for a long minute in silence, then a slight smile made its way to his face. "This was planned, wasn't it."

Duo winced, dropping his gaze as shame flushed his cheeks. "It wasn't my idea," he muttered. He'd never felt so dirty.

"I believe you," Kurama called, his voice soft. "If you'll wait here, I'll be back in a short while." He nodded at Wufei. "We'll be working in the forest, so you might want to change."

"You're still going to help us?!" Duo asked, his eyes flying up to him.

"Yes."

Hiei sniffed, glaring at Zechs. "I'll be back for you. We'll work downstairs." With that, he turned and stalked from the room, Kurama following close behind.

Zechs heaved a sigh of relief when the dark boy was out of sight, hanging his head. Quatre echoed that, and Duo turned a furious glare on Heero. "Look what you did. I hope you're happy now."

Heero merely looked at Zechs. "Did you learn anything?"

"Yes," Zechs said, his voice faint. He felt as if he'd run a marathon, his body weak and shaky. "They've been together for years. And they met during something, some sort of attack on Kurama. I couldn't get the details of that before Hiei threw me out, just that it was real, not a ploy. And after that they were together, looking for Yukina."

"Threw you out...?" Quatre asked, his voice tentative. "How could he throw you out of someone else's mind...?"

"I don't know," Zechs said. "I've never felt anything like that. It was as if he were there, some physical force. I could practically feel his hands shoving me away, hot pain in my mind."

"And when he touched you?" Trowa asked, his gaze calm. "He still had the ward, but it looked like that eye did something."

"It was the same block I felt when he was using his power near Duo yesterday," Zechs said. "Not as strong, but the same sort of pain. I don't know how if I'll be able to get around that."

"You'll have to," Heero said, the slightest hint of emotion creeping into his voice. "Because that's the only way we'll get answers now."

"And it's your fault," Duo sniffed, "for not asking like I told you."

"I know that."

The boy's voice was cold, and Duo blinked at the dark look on Heero's face. That's when he realized the boy wasn't as uncaring as he seemed. Heero may not have felt guilty like he did, but he was definitely regretting his choice of actions now. His plan had failed, and not only that, but he'd done just as Duo had warned, alienated the two people who were aiming to help them. Duo's glare faded away. "Well...Kurama still plans to help us. I don't know why he would after that, but he does."

"If it's a trick, then that would explain why he'd help regardless. He'd want to stay close to us, and so long as Hiei is shielding him, it protects his identity." Two groans set up, and Hiei blinked, frowning at Quatre in particular. "What?"

"You just never give up," Duo managed, giving the boy a sad smile. "I guess you're just naturally distrustful."

"I'm careful," Heero corrected, still surprised that Quatre had echoed Duo's sentiments. But then, Quatre was just as trusting. "Better to expect the worst than to be caught unawares."

* * *

Hiei had vanished the moment they entered the restricted area, and Kurama was scowling by the time he caught up to him. "You're being unreasonable," he called, looking over the boy's dark back. "We should have expected this. They're fighting OZ, after all, anyone is a potential danger to them. I do wish they'd simply asked, but you can't be surprised they'd do this."

"I want to hurt him." Hiei looked over his shoulder, sniffing at the redhead's startled expression. "You think I should have expected this? Expected one of them to attack you?"

"He didn't hurt me," Kurama said, moving to stand behind him. "I didn't even know what he was doing until you said it." His friend sniffed again, and he eased an arm around the teen's tense shoulders. "No harm was done."

"He had no right, no cause."

"He had cause," Kurama countered, "protecting themselves from a potential enemy." Hiei remained tense, and he drew him closer, lowering his chin to rest on the boy's shoulder. "And I didn't even notice, so it isn't like I was hurt by it. How did you know what he was doing?"

"I felt it, felt you." Scowling darker, Hiei turned to look at the green eyes near him. "Do you know what memory he was taking? Our first meeting. I could feel what he was taking from you. The bastard centered on your worst memory, nearly got it all, too. That won't happen again."

"Oh...that one." Kurama sighed, tilting his head so his cheek pressed into Hiei's neck. "But you know, I have no reason to hide that memory. It hurts me, but I didn't relive it when he tried, and I have no shame over what happened. I don't mind if they know."

"No." With a sharp frown, Hiei pulled away and turned, his hands catching Kurama's long red sidelocks. He tugged a bit so the redhead's face was tilted down to him. "I felt those memories when he tried to take them, just the tip of them was enough to disturb me. Telling won't be enough, if it were, they would have asked. He wants to see, and I won't allow that. He has no right to see that."

"But you'll let him see yours? Hiei, I know your memories are a thousand times worse than anything I've gone through." The boy rolled his eyes, and Kurama frowned down at him.

"I don't care about that. If he takes mine, I won't feel it any more than you did. But I *felt* what he tried to take from you. I don't want to feel that again. And I *don't* want him in your mind."

"Possessive, aren't you?" Kurama smiled when his friend merely smirked at him. "So what makes you think I want him in *your* mind?"

"Hn. You'd never know if he were."

Kurama's eyebrow twitched in annoyance, but he couldn't really argue with that point. "Well, what did you mean when you said you didn't have to be near me to know if one of them tried again? And how did you feel my memories? I didn't think your eye let you read minds."

"I can't read minds," Hiei frowned, "but it doesn't matter. I felt you before. You weren't loud enough for me to hear you blocks away, but I felt it. This is the same. I knew the moment he tried to touch those painful memories, I felt it."

"How romantic," Kurama sighed, ignoring Hiei's twitching eyebrow, "you feel my pain. That is so sweet..."

Hiei glared, releasing that silky red hair and folding his arms over his chest. "Urusai."

"Oh, come here." Catching the boy's shoulders, Kurama held him still as he dropped to his knees. It didn't take much to pull him into a tight embrace, hiding his face in the light scarf beneath Hiei's chin. "You know I find your concern for me endearing." A loud snort ruined that tender comment, and Kurama grinned. "I love you, Hiei."

"I know."

* * *
TBC