Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ G-men ❯ Power Struggle ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Author's Notes: There were some questions on the last few parts that I'd like to address first.
GoldenRat: Kurama mentioned having seen a picture of Duo (in part 22), and when Duo asked where he'd seen it, he said that Hiei had it (OZ put pictures of Duo all over, this one came from a bus station). Hiei never met Duo, just the picture. There's more on that in 'Unwanted' but I haven't gotten there yet. ^_^;; Let's just say Duo's picture reminded Hiei of someone he used to know, so he kept it. And it's something Kurama had in common with the picture. I expect this to come out in the fic once I get a chance to put Hiei and Duo alone together. You also asked on mediaminer (was that you? o.o ) if Kurama and Hiei were demons. Good question. Right now no one 'knows' about demons - whether they exist or not. If Kurama is one, it's only partly - something from his ancestors. Hiei and Yukina are different - in the first few paragraphs of 'Unwanted' I mention their odd 'origins' and that they have no memory of their childhood up to the age of 5 or 6. Let's just say, it's a good possibility, but no one knows yet.
mysticheero: I did skimp on Heero's current 'powers' for a reason. If you think which character (from Xmen) I'm using him for, you can probably guess how he'll get stronger. It isn't something Kurama or Hiei can help him with. ^_~ As for his distrust - that's part his nature, and part foreshadowing for something he knows about that the others don't. Hiei's 'urusai' does mean 'annoying/noisy' but when he says it, it's more like a cute way of telling Kurama to shut up or be quiet, saying "you talk too much." ^"^
This fic is a vague fusion with the original X-men animated series.
Category: Anime, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yaoi, AU
Warnings: shonen ai, slight humor, slight angst
Pairings: 1x2, 3x4, KuramaxHiei, will be 6x5
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatomina@hotmail.com
Website/Complete Archive: http://www.geocities.com/arigatomina

G-men

Part 26: Power Struggle

Quatre and Trowa had gone by the time Kurama and Hiei came back into the cafeteria. The other four males watched them enter, taking in their expressions. Hiei was probably the easiest to read. The short boy scowled the second his eyes fell on the table, gaze snapping right to Zechs. To give him credit, Zechs didn't quite flinch, though he wasn't looking forward to being alone under that glare.

"You," Hiei said, "come with me."

Zechs couldn't help looking around at the others before giving a slow nod. The boy's lips twitched in another of those menacing grins, and he blinked. Was that a fang? He paled a bit more as he stood. He really didn't want to be alone with him. A glance at Kurama found the redhead watching him with a blank face. Zechs looked away quickly. Hiei turned on his heel, and he followed the boy without a word.

The moment the two disappeared through the doorway, Kurama smirked. The teens at the table stared after their comrade, and he laid a light hand on Duo's shoulder. "No need to worry, Hiei won't kill him." Wide violet eyes blinked up at him and he shook his head. "He just wants to hurt him a little."

"R-really," Duo said, blinking at the boy's smile.

"He would have anyway," Kurama reminded him, amusement glittering in his eyes. "That's the point of having him strengthen his powers by using them against Hiei's shield. This way, Hiei can settle his own score, Zechs can master his talent, and the rest of you can get the information you want about us."

The teen seemed amused at the situation, not the least bit angry. Wufei raised an eyebrow at him. "You don't seem to mind what Zechs did," he commented. "Why?"

"Oh, I mind," Kurama assured him, his eyes glinting. "I don't appreciate the invasion any more than Hiei does. But I understand your motives. Hiei doesn't care about motives, to him it's the action itself. I'm sure you wouldn't have sent Zechs into my mind if you didn't think that was the only way to learn about me. And I'm not the sort to hold a grudge over a misunderstanding. Besides, I'm sure you regret it now. And Zechs will definitely regret it by the time Hiei is finished with him."

The redhead gave an almost smug smile, and Heero's eyebrow twitched in reaction. He liked it better when he'd had the guilt of failing the attempt. Having that condescending reaction from the target was much worse.

"I see you changed," Kurama said, looking at Wufei. "Then we could head out now, if you're ready." The black-haired boy nodded, and he glanced at Duo. "I know the perfect place for you to practice your invisibility. It would be far enough away from Wufei and I that you won't be in any danger, and deep enough in the forest that you won't have anyone distracting you."

"Okay," Duo said. He gave a hesitant smile. Though the teen's darkly humorous smirk had surprised him, that kind smile was back. Again he found himself drawn to the open *kindness* in Kurama's eyes. "That sounds good." Turning, he glanced at Heero and raised an eyebrow. "You want to come keep me company?"

"I have some things I need to do," Heero said, careful to keep his tone neutral.

Duo sighed, frowning in disappointment. "Couldn't you bring the laptop with you? I promise I'll be quiet."

The long-haired boy was blinking big, hopeful eyes at him, and Heero sighed. It didn't really make much difference in the long run. All he'd planned was to continue his searches, and chances were he wouldn't find anything new whether he did it in the silence of his room or outside. "I suppose."

Grinning happily, Duo wrapped an arm over Heero's shoulders. "Thanks! And this way you can watch me show off. It's no fun showing off if no one sees you."

Wufei gave a knowing smile at the boy, shaking his head. "But if you're invisible what is he supposed to see?"

Duo blinked, his face blank. "Oh yeah..."

"I'll get my laptop," Heero said, nodding to Duo, "and your coat."

"Thanks."

Kurama turned when the dark-haired boy stood. "May I join you?"

Heero's eyes narrowed, locking onto calm green ones. He was coming right back. Was this an excuse to learn where they roomed? But then, he probably knew that already. He had an idea Kurama knew most of the things going on in the school. And considering Relena had given them their rooms...yes, he probably knew already. Which meant there was another reason.

The Japanese boy nodded sharply, and Kurama smiled, following him. He waited until they'd left the cafeteria before speaking, his voice soft so it wouldn't carry to the students who were beginning to spot the hall. "I take it you're the computer expert?" Dark blue eyes snapped to him, and he nodded. "Every group has one, I'm sure. And you would have done your own research before having Zechs look into it."

Heero kept his gaze sharp, hiding the angry surprise that rushed through him. For someone with no telepathic abilities, the redhead seemed to read him rather well. "Hn."

"I suppose you had some trouble with the records, though," Kurama continued. They paused outside a door, and he leaned on the frame, watching as the boy pretended to ignore him. "Did you come across some missing files, by chance?" That got a reaction, Heero turning sharply. He smirked in silence.

"What do you want?" Heero asked, his voice cold. "What's the point of this?"

"To help you, of course." The angry suspicion in the boy was so thick he could wade in it. Kurama sniffed, tilting his head back against the doorframe. "Are you always like that? Attacking those who try to help you?"

The teen's words reminded him of Duo, but there was too much cunning in the boy. Heero could feel it, and hear it in that smooth voice. He didn't trust him one bit. There was something dangerous about a cunning person who smiled so freely and seemed so amiable.

Kurama nodded at the silence. "I promised Hiei that I wouldn't tell you about myself. He wants Zechs to have to learn that on his own, as part of the payback for earlier. But I can still help you." Turning his head a bit, he caught Heero's gaze, his voice still calm and soft. "Those missing files? You'd waste your time looking for them, they were destroyed years ago. I never planned for anyone to find out what was inside them. But Zechs will learn, if he passes Hiei's blocks. You might as well wait for that. I'm sure it'll tell you more than anything that was in those files. A firsthand account..."

Something flitted over Kurama's eyes, and Heero blinked, some of his anger easing. He wasn't surprised to learn that Kurama had in fact been the one to delete those files. He had wondered how the redhead got to them, but he'd known it wasn't typical of OZ to do that sort of thing. Only someone on a private mission would have a reason to keep the information to himself. But for Kurama to admit it so openly. That surprised him. "And you?"

"Me?" Kurama blinked, his eyes clearing. "Information on me?" A slow smile curved his lips, and he gave a soft laugh, leaning back again. "You won't find anything on me, I'm afraid. I rarely go into the spotlight. Hiei doesn't like it there."

And back to the secrets. Heero glared. "You said you would tell willingly if asked," he murmured, his voice icy. "I asked."

"Oh," Kurama sighed, shaking his head. "I'm afraid it's too late for that. I promised Hiei I wouldn't tell you anything about me or my past. I really would have been happy to if you'd asked me before, but now I can't."

"Hn." Heero turned away to sling on his coat, catching Duo's as well. He took the laptop last, and refused to look up at the redhead when he passed him. Kurama shifted out of his way so he could lock the door again, and the teen followed him back toward the cafeteria. It wasn't until they reached the empty stairwell that the silence was broken, and a strong but light hand caught his arm.

"You won't find any information on me," Kurama said again, his eyes glinting, "because until about six years ago, I didn't exist. I can't tell you anything about my past, but you might want to do a search for Minamino Shuuichi. I'm sure someone with the right skills could learn quite a bit about him." He released the boy and passed him, moving off down the stairs.

A second passed before Heero jerked around, staring after him in surprise.

* * *

Hiei hadn't spoken when they'd reached the restricted area, and Zechs held the same silence. He still didn't know what to say to the boy, and he had an idea he'd do well to keep quiet until he was addressed. Any way he looked at it, this was going to be bad. The black-haired boy crossed the wide room and halted in the center. Zechs watched as he removed his scarf and cloak, letting them fall into a light pile on the floor.

Sinking onto the cloth, Hiei crossed his legs and gave the tall man a sharp nod. "Sit." Zechs started to, but he smirked, pointing a finger at the floor directly in front of him. "You'll have to be closer than that."

The boy was certainly enjoying this. If he hadn't been feeling guilty, Zechs would have glared at the haughty attitude. Instead, he obeyed silently, inching forward when the boy gestured again. He didn't stop until their knees were touching, both in what looked like a meditative pose. A light warmth reached him through the cloth that separated them, and he blinked down at his right knee. It reminded him of that cool breeze he'd gotten when Yukina was near them. Or the hot pain when the boy had touched his forehead. That thought brought him around very quickly, his eyes meeting mocking red ones.

"Kurama doesn't want you dead," Hiei said slowly, his lips curving into a dark smile. "And he seems to think too much pain at once might kill you. So we'll do this slowly, with breaks to work on your healing powers. Just think, after I hurt you, you can repay me before I hurt you again."

Zechs couldn't help himself, his eyebrow twitched and he gave the boy a strange look. "You really hate me."

"Yes," Hiei smirked. "But I hate a lot of people. You are the first I've wanted to hurt in years. Unfortunate for you."

"Look," Zechs said, his eyes wide. "I'm really sorry to have intruded on your friend like that. I honestly didn't mean any harm. I never wanted to hurt anyone, or to make enemies."

"You never wanted to get caught," Hiei corrected. His smirk faded, a cool calm taking over. "And you didn't hurt Kurama. If you had, then you *would* be dead right now. He forgives you for your invasion, which is why I won't hurt you as much as I'd like. But you did make an enemy in me, and no apology will change that. Don't waste your breath. You're going to need it for screaming."

Zechs blanched, his breath catching in his throat. The boy reached up and pulled the band off his jagan, and he winced a bit as the pressure in the room seemed to triple. He could feel a weight pressing on his mind, and he wasn't even trying to use his telepathy. This was just what he'd felt in the woods. And the eye wasn't even open.

"Do it," Hiei said. His voice was sharp, eyes glaring at the still man across from him. "Try to read me." Wary blue eyes stared at him, and he sneered, hands curling on his legs. "It won't hurt yet, fool. But if you're afraid of the pain, you won't get anywhere. I'll open the eye after I know you're in. That's when it will hurt. Keep pushing until you can't take the pain any longer. The moment you withdraw, I'll close it again." He could see the suspicion in the man's gaze and he sniffed, eyes narrowing. "There's no point hurting you if you aren't trying to read me. I'll close it the moment you stop. You can decide when you've reached your limit. That's the only leniency I'll give you."

And that was a lot of leniency, Zechs realized, if he kept his word. The idea of pain like what he'd felt earlier was daunting, but if he could stop it just by pulling back, then it was voluntary. That made a lot of difference. While he didn't like the idea of feeling that hot pain again, he was no coward. "All right," he said, closing his eyes. He could have kept them open, but he didn't want to see the boy's expression once it started. He was sure Hiei would enjoy whatever pained faces he made.

Zechs dropped his hand, fingers just brushing Hiei's knee. That made the connection. With the lightest of pushes, he found himself suddenly drawn into a flurry of images, sounds, experiences. He jerked back immediately. "What the hell..."

A deep growl passed Hiei's teeth, and he glared at the man. "Why did you stop? Are you that afraid?"

"No, but..." That wasn't what he got from reading people. Zechs stared at the boy, not looking at the anger so much as his face, his odd eyes. Why was it so different with him? The only time he'd felt such thick vivid memories was when he centered on a specific incident. But he'd barely brushed the boy's thoughts and the power and strength of those memories was like being there. "Do you keep everything?" he whispered, staring at the boy in disbelief. "Do you remember everything so clearly, or has your entire life been so traumatic you hold every moment in full clarity?"

Hiei blinked, his face blanking abruptly. "What?"

"You can't read minds," Zechs said. His voice rose a bit louder, but it was still soft. "When I read a mind I focus on the memories. Each instance has a different degree of clarity. Some memories are so strong in the person's mind that he remembers almost every aspect of that moment. It's like living that moment from inside the person. Those are the significant memories, ones that stay with the person for his entire lifetime. Others are vague, random thoughts and emotions, glimpses of scenes tossed together. You can push sometimes and get a clearer image, but it doesn't sit on the surface like the important memories do. They don't drag you under with as much power."

Raising an eyebrow at the man, Hiei sniffed. "So?"

"I barely touched the tip of your mind and it was like going directly to a thousand of those significant memories," Zechs said. His eyes were sharp now, all of his wariness and fear gone. He was eager and stunned at the same time. "What it felt like - it was like every one of your memories had the same strength as one of those special instances. Full clarity! It was...it was like you'd recorded everything."

"Hn." Hiei rolled his eyes and frowned at the man. "What does it matter?"

"Because you can't remember everything like that," Zechs said. "No one remembers everything, not like that - not with that much clarity. You'd get lost in your own memories if you remembered *everything* that happened to you."

"Not if you control your thoughts." He was getting very tired of the man's enthusiastic gaze, and he glared. "You wanted memories. So what if they're clear? That should make it easier, right?"

"Too easy," Zechs frowned. "You aren't surprised at all?"

"Do you think I wouldn't know that I don't forget things?" Hiei asked. "It makes no difference to me. So stop staring and get on with it."

To have what was an amazing discovery to him swept away so carelessly made Zechs want to shake the boy. He'd touched a lot of minds in his time, and he'd never felt anything like this. Now he was supposed to just drop it? "Look-"

Hiei snapped, his eyes flashing and sudden heat fluffing the man's long bangs. "Shut up and do it," he growled. "Or get out of here."

The boy didn't care. The sudden burst of heat reminded him exactly who he was looking at here, and Zechs winced, dropping his eyes. "Right." The air cooled slowly, and he waited for it, not touching the boy until he was sure he wouldn't get burned. Then he brushed his fingers on Hiei's arm and started again.

It caught him and jerked him straight in, a flurry of scenes passing him by. These weren't just emotions and visions, he could hear the voices, murmurs overlapping each other, the quiet but low thoughts mixing in with real voices, or rather, echoes of real voices. And the emotions mixed with real sensations, warmth, cold, pain, hunger, everything clamored for his attention at once and he felt as if he'd gotten thrust into a crowd, all pressing down on him. He didn't know where to start.

A scream, a man whimpering in low frightened tones, overwhelming fury and hatred tinting the scene a dark shade, a soft urgent voice, don't kill him, footsteps echoing, coming closer, a deep growl, he dies, a gentle warmth pulling him back, don't kill him, it's not worth it, let's just go now, torn between the two, he deserved to die, Kurama didn't want him to kill, always so kind, too kind, never cold enough-

And pain jerked him from the scene, the sight of a strange man in a dark alley cowering in fear was replaced by blinding white fire that burst over him, surrounding him. It pressed down on him, crushing him in the heat, holding him down so it could devour his mind, and screaming began again, louder, drowning in the flames.

Strong hands caught his shoulders, and Zechs sagged back, his blind eyes blurring the bright light above him. The pain ended as suddenly as it had begun and he shook from the numb shock of that absence. A rough gasp tore through his throat and he coughed. He must have stopped breathing because he gasped, panting as those hands pulled him forward so he leaned over his folded legs, his long hair falling against his sweat-dampened cheeks. After what seemed like an eternity, his vision cleared enough for him to blink dazedly at the dark clad knees pressing his own. And the supporting hands fell away.

"You lasted for ten seconds," Hiei commented. "Longer than I thought you would." The man shuddered, bloodshot eyes staring up through pale white hair. His lips twitched in response. "Catch your breath and you can return the favor." Zechs blinked dazedly, and he smirked, drawing the sword that was strapped to his back. "I'll be sure to make it a painful wound, don't worry."

The boy was insane...and he was insane for not crawling away as quickly as his weak muscles would allow him. Zechs let out a shaky sigh, bending closer to his knees. Catch his breath? He'd be lucky if he could find himself enough to even be able to use his healing abilities. But the memory he'd touched was so vivid, and there were so many he hadn't seen. Yes...they were both insane.

* * *

"This is the place," Kurama smiled, waving a hand at the large rock that nearly filled the small clearing. Duo raised an eyebrow at him, and he tilted his head. "I think Heero would be comfortable sitting there while you work. And if you stand right here, you'll be in the best place of all." The long-haired boy stepped to him, and Kurama looked at their feet. "There's a cave below us. If you think of the ground as being solid and turn it invisible because it's touching you, then you should be able to see the cave. I'll light it for you, so all you'll have to do is turn the ground invisible until the cavern."

The redhead crouched, brushing his fingers over the grass, and Duo blinked when one of the blades bent and buried itself in the dirt. "What did you do?"

Kurama was silent for a moment, his gaze intent on his fingers. Then he smiled. "There. I've set up some bright plants down there which should glow if the sunlight hits them. Providing you make the ground invisible, it will let the light through and you'll know. The main thing is to think of the ground as being solid. It won't do for you to merely make the dirt touching you invisible - you'd never know it. Just imagine it as a chair you're sitting on, or place your hand on it and think of it as a weapon you're holding. Either should do the trick."

It sounded very unlikely to him, but Duo gave a weak grin. "If you say so." The teen moved back and he took his place, not wanting to lose the spot. Heero frowned down at the ground he was standing on, and Duo smirked. "Sounds farfetched, doesn't it?"

"Yes." Heero sniffed when Kurama smiled at him. He hadn't spoken to the boy since the stairwell, and he planned to keep it that way. He passed him without a word, going to the large rock and looking it over. It was flat enough that he'd have a nice seat there. A quick push and he was folding himself on it. The view also made it easy to see the ground Duo was standing on. If the boy really did make the ground invisible, he'd be able to see what was beneath it. But he doubted that would happen. And even if it did, what would be the point. It was one of the oddest things he'd ever heard of, making the ground invisible.

Duo was still smiling at the ground, and Wufei smirked. "Good luck with that," he called.

"Thanks," Duo grinned, "I think I'll need it." Wufei turned and followed Kurama further into the woods, leaving him and Heero alone. After a moment of studying the ground again, Duo sniffed. "Heero, do you think Zechs is okay?"

Heero blinked. He hadn't thought about Zechs at all, too distracted with the name Kurama had given him. "Probably," he said. "I doubt Hiei would kill him when we'd know who did it."

"Of course he wouldn't *kill* him," Duo said. "But still, Kurama was kind of creepy earlier, don't you think? I mean, I didn't expect to see an expression like that on him. It was weird."

"Hn. It fit him better than the smile he wears." Duo glared at him, and Heero shook his head. "There's more to him than that nice act he puts on. He's a cunning one, he just hides it."

"Cunning," Duo sniffed. "I know he's smart, but you make it sound like he's planning to get us when our backs are turned." Dark eyes snapped up, and he let out a sigh. "You're so predictable, Heero. When are you going to stop suspecting him?"

"When I know where he came from." Which could be very soon if that name was what he thought it was. And from the way the boy had given it, Heero was pretty certain 'Kurama' was the alias of one Minamino Shuuichi. A search would find that out. "Why don't you get started," he said. He didn't look up, opening his laptop and starting himself. A soft huff was the only answer.

* * *

Zechs was starting to feel queasy, angry and impatient, a mixture that didn't sit well with him. Shortly after pulling his sword, Hiei had rolled up the left leg of his pants, set a pile of towels under it, and stabbed his sword through his thigh, just above the knee, positioned so that Zechs had a disturbing idea that it had gone right through the center of the bone. And he'd left it there. The last four times he'd tried to heal the boy, he'd been brushed aside, Hiei saying that he'd pass out now if he tried to use his healing powers. Which meant the boy had sat there for nearly ten minutes with a sword in his leg, and the only sound he'd made was a sharp gasp when he rammed it in. Zechs was beginning to feel nauseated.

His breathing had calmed down, and he was sure his legs would hold him if he tried to walk. Inching closer to where Hiei had impaled himself, Zechs grimaced. "Let me heal it already. That's disturbing."

Hiei's brows were damp, but he gave the man a tight smile. "You not enjoying this?"

"Of course not," Zechs spat, glaring down at him. "I never wanted to hurt you or anyone."

"Hn. Once you heal it, it won't hurt. In the meantime, it's good practice." Hiei frowned when the man crouched beside him, not quite bold enough to touch him without permission, but sending him one of the oddest looks he'd ever received. "Why are you staring at me like that?" he growled, leaning away a few inches.

"Practice?" Zechs felt an insane urge to throw his head back and laugh at the crazy boy. "What are you practicing, how to control your pain? I'd say you don't have to worry about that."

"You really think this is that painful?" Hiei sniffed, raising an eyebrow at the man. "It's no worse than what you felt when I opened my jagan. I just accept it better."

"I felt that for ten seconds," Zechs said, throwing his hands up. "You've been like that for ten mi-" The black-haired boy smirked at him, and he blinked, all expression leaving his face. "You're insane."

"You're not the first to think so," Hiei said, his smirk widening. He jerked the sword free and waved a hand at his leg as the blood flow thickened. "Go ahead. And be sure to pay attention to how much energy you use. Next time you'll use half that."

It was hard to concentrate on how much he put into the healing when all Zechs could think about was how insane the boy was. Did he really think ten seconds was comparable to ten minutes just because he had a higher tolerance for pain? What was wrong with him? And why the hell was he so damn eager to get back into the boy's head when he knew - the longer he lasted against the jagan, the longer he'd have to sit afterward watching the boy bleed. If anything, he was more disturbed by his own eagerness than he was by Hiei. So this was what insanity felt like.

* * *
TBC
--notes--
The next part will take up right where this one left off.