Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ G-men ❯ New Tricks ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
This fic is a vague fusion with the original X-men animated series.
Category: Anime, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yaoi, AU
Warnings: shonen ai, slight humor, slight angst
Pairings: 1x2, 3x4, KuramaxHiei, will be 6x5
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatomina@hotmail.com
Website/Complete Archive: www.geocities.com/arigatomina

G-men

Part 27: New Tricks

If Duo had gone with them, he would have recognized the spot Kurama chose. The valley was a favorite of his, mostly for the open space, something necessary for sparring with Hiei. Charred greenery still darkened the area, and he gave a small wince when Wufei raised an eyebrow at him. "I usually regrow it after we finish, but Duo distracted me."

"I can imagine," Wufei smirked.

The black-haired boy had been silent during the walk, and Kurama looked him over. He had the distinct impression that there was something Wufei hadn't mentioned. The teen just didn't look at all eager about mastering his skill. His smirk had faded almost as quickly as it had come. And Wufei was avoiding his gaze again. Kurama's eyes glinted and he passed the boy to stand at the edge of the bluff. "It would be best if we work from there."

The redhead pointed at a tall tree standing on the other side of the valley. It looked old, and was the only bit of life amidst the ash and charred grass. Wufei looked at it in doubt. "Why there?"

"It's my favorite perch." Kurama smiled, glancing over his shoulder at the boy. "It's also the only tree I can get Hiei to spare when we fight. Because it's old. The rest of the plants here are young enough that I can regrow them without too much effort. But that...that tree has been here for a very long time."

There was a hint of reverence in Kurama's voice, and Wufei stared at him. "You care that much about plants?" He didn't want to disparage the teen, but it was a little strange. After all, they were talking about a simple tree.

Kurama smiled at the funny look Wufei was giving him. "Some. But that tree is special. It's my tree." Wufei looked like he didn't know whether to laugh or back away. Kurama's smile shifted into a smirk. "I'll show you."

A small smile tugged Wufei's lips as he followed Kurama around to the other side of the valley. Something about the redhead's glinting eyes reminded him of Duo when he was in a playful mood. They stopped near the edge, a large branch hanging close overhead, close enough that he could use it to get to the wide limb Kurama had pointed at earlier. He looked it over, then raised an eyebrow at the redhead.

"Try and touch it," Kurama smirked.

Wufei's eyes narrowed in suspicion, but he took a step forward. He reached a hand toward the limb, half expecting it to retaliate somehow. Instead, it lifted away from him, the other limbs easing further from the edge. "So you're controlling it?"

"Not exactly," Kurama said. "I was on this tree the first time I shifted. I don't know what I did to it, but since then it avoids any contact. Not even birds can touch it unless I'm here. And I can't touch it like this unless I use my talent and force it to let me."

"And you want to work from there?"

"Might as well be comfortable," Kurama said. He nodded at the boy, took a breath, and focused his energy.

It happened very quickly, enough so that Wufei stood rooted to his spot a few feet away. Red hair bled into silvery white, lengthening and straightening, and Kurama's clothing changed the same, as if the colors seeped from him, moving from his head down. The face was almost identical, but not quite so young and kind looking. And the eyes that flicked open to return his stare weren't the wide emerald ones he expected, but narrow pale gold. Wufei's mouth fell open.

"It is unusual," Kurama said, agreeing with the boy's uncertain expression. "I don't know why I look this way, like some sort of white humanoid fox." He waved a hand at his hip, his long silver tail swishing into view. "Feel free to laugh if you find it amusing. I'm used to Hiei's comments, so you don't have to worry about hurting my feelings or insulting me. I've actually grown rather fond of this shape."

Wufei had to take a moment or two of staring before he could meet Kurama's eyes with a sober expression. "I wouldn't laugh. It makes you look older...more dangerous."

Golden eyes sparking, Kurama nodded. "And I am, more dangerous, I mean. But we aren't sparring, so there's no need to get into that." A few leaves brushed his shoulder, and Kurama smiled at the branch. The tree almost trembled when he touched it. Then it lowered the limb and went still. "There. You can climb it now."

The target limb was wide, but not enough to make it safe for them to stand side by side. Kurama crouched near the base, waving Wufei to stand further on the branch so he was above the open valley. Wufei had no fear of heights, and he followed the instructions. Once he found himself looking down into the dead valley, he closed his eyes with a quiet sigh. "Now?"

Still crouched a few feet away, Kurama looked around. "Choose a target to the side of you. But don't bring the lightening down directly onto it. Call it down so it falls in the middle of the valley and try to angle it to strike the side. If you can get even the slightest curve, then you can practice that before trying a moving target."

Wufei looked over at a small jutting rock on the cliff wall to his left, marking it in his mind. A sharp stare at the sky was enough to make lightning fall in a bright streak. It came straight down in the center of the valley, just as he planned. But instead of a curve, it zagged to the side halfway down. It was a sharp angle, but definitely a straight path. Wufei bit back a curse. Of course he wouldn't get it on the first try. But how many tries would it take? He wasn't about to do this all day with Kurama watching him. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Then he turned to tell Kurama he could do this alone. But he bit off the words when he found the teen standing directly behind him.

"The first time Hiei managed to curve his kokoryuuha, I worked through him. After that, he began to do it on his own, getting better with practice. I'm not sure if it will work the same way in your case, but I'd like to try." Kurama gave a tiny smile at Wufei's suspicious expression. "For now, just focus on summoning the lightning and the target. I'll work on the curve."

How did he plan to do that? Wufei frowned and turned away, his gaze lifting to the sky again. He was just about to bring down a bolt when he felt hands touch him from behind. One arm curved over his left shoulder and across his chest, the other moving around his waist. Wufei choked. "Wh-what are you doing?"

The dark-haired boy tensed when he pressed close to him, and Kurama smirked. He dropped his chin to murmur in Wufei's ear. "It isn't what you think. I don't mean to say that you aren't worthy of being seduced, but this is hardly the place. I give you my word. There's only one person I would hit on in *this* tree."

Despite that assurance, Wufei could feel his face heating from the hard body pressing close to his back. He tried to distract himself by latching onto Kurama's comment. "Then the rumors are true? You and Hiei are lovers?"

Kurama's smirk vanished, but he didn't move. "Rumors? Who told you that?"

The voice sounded calm, but Wufei winced. He shouldn't have said that. "Some students," he said. "Rumor has it the two of you are either lovers or related. I apologize if it's untrue."

"No need." Kurama frowned and lifted his head, a light sigh passing his lips. "I should have expected this. Yusuke has been following and spying on us a lot lately. It's not surprising he'd assume as much. I just hope Hiei doesn't hear of this rumor."

"Then you aren't..."

"Lovers?" Kurama finished, his eyes glinting. "No, not yet." He caught sight of the dark flush on Wufei's face and smirked again. "I have no reason to hide my intentions. And considering our proximity, I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea. I suppose you could say this is business only." He waited for a minute before letting out a light laugh and squeezing Wufei's waist. "So stop blushing and call your lightning. If you want to get to know each other, we can talk about our love lives later."

"You're as bad as Duo," Wufei muttered, glaring at how hot his face felt.

Kurama laughed again. "Thank you. I will take that as a wonderful compliment. And in return, your friend Heero reminds me of Hiei."

Wufei let out a soft snort, smiling despite himself. "Agreed."

He sighed and tilted his head back to the sky. Again he directed a bolt to fall in the center of the valley, his gaze snapping to the side and to the target as he urged it to shift its course. But it didn't zag this time. It seemed to hesitate, almost moving in slow motion, and he felt something pass over him. It wasn't quite hot, but it made his nerves tingle. Kurama tightened his grip and he felt the teen's face press against the back of his neck, those strong arms nearly crushing him. And the lightening shifted, falling in an impossibly slow but definite arc that landed right on the target. Kurama had controlled it through him. And somehow, Wufei felt a wash of eagerness. Having seen it, he knew he could do that, slow it down, and prolong what should have been a flashing strike into a mobile weapon.

* * *

Zechs knew better than to try and search out and focus on a specific memory so soon. He just had no way to weed one out of the masses clamoring around him. But he couldn't seem to help himself. He'd started this by seeking out the first time Hiei and Kurama met, and he wanted to find that one - to complete the glimpse. It was a self-destructive desire, and he knew it. Luckily, or unluckily, he couldn't focus well enough to find that one specific memory. Instead, he was caught in something more recent.

Dark, weak, warmth, Kurama, too bright, where, dawning realization, Yukina, staring at him, shock, fear, no, why, he knew better. Anger that the only one he trusted would do this, but also fear, she stared at him, recognition and horror written over her face, she remembered. She remembered because of him, just the sight of him, he could see the horror in her eyes, stricken, guilt, terror, his fault. His fears realized, one look at him and she remembered everything. And Kurama let her see him, was watching him, didn't he know what he'd done, how could he. Crying, Kurama crying, those eyes, they had the same eyes, his fault, her because her memories returned, him because, because Kurama saw the betrayal on his face. He was hurting them both. No, no more, couldn't take it, her eyes on him, hurting her, hurting him, both. Blind, struggling through bodies, to get away from them both, to stop hurting them, arms catching him, holding him down, Kurama, wouldn't let him hide, hiding was over, she knew, hiding was useless. So tired, couldn't fight him, no words, no breath, darkness, Kurama, don't let her look at him any more, please don't let her see him, a promise in the dark, fading out but hearing the words. Kurama wouldn't let her look at him when the sight caused her pain, no running, but he could hide without running, he promised.

The scenes played in a fog, different from the emotion clouded haze of the last memory. This one was witnessed through blurred eyes, exhaustion and half-lucid incoherence. Zechs pushed for clarity in vain, and it wasn't until scenes darkened to sounds and thoughts alone that he realized the host was to blame. He shifted focus, instead of forward, he looked back into darkness, unconsciousness. But even that silence was shadowed by dreamlike images. Heat, crackling flames, beast, dragon, hungry, consuming, wanting more, coiled restless, waiting for the merge, patience fed by certainty, it would happen, control comes with a price, he doesn't know, but he will. Sleeping, waiting, bound but not held, choosing to remain, for as long as it takes, I'll be here. And it turned, an immense unseen presence, aware of the intruder but unconcerned, you'll know regret, soon.

Terror struck simultaneous with the expected white pain. He didn't resist the force shoving him out of that mind faster than he could have disengaged on his own. Even the faint echo of screaming, his screams, was better than that inhuman presence whispering in his ear. Zechs reeled back, mindless to the hands that once again shot out to catch him.

What was it? How? An alter ego, split personality, or an entirely foreign mind doing just what he was doing? Was that what he'd sense if he read Une while she was being controlled by Quatre? Only in that case, would it be a soft inviting presence rather than a monstrous one? But if that were the case, it would never have allowed him in.

The white-haired man was panting over his knees, making no effort to support himself. And the visible shudders that passed through his form sent waves down Hiei's arms. If he hadn't known Zechs would collapse, he'd have jerked away from him in an instant. Nearly five minutes passed before pale blue eyes opened, and Hiei pulled back with an intense scowl.

"H-how long...?" Zechs blinked slowly, his vision fogging in a way that reminded him of that memory he'd read. It had been unclear because Hiei had been physically unstable, and emotionally distraught. That was exactly how he felt now. Silence hung in the air, no answer. Shaking his head a bit to move his hair out of the way, Zechs took a deep breath. And looked up into a third, open eye. He stopped breathing.

"Long enough," Hiei said. His eyes were narrow slits of anger, and he had clenched his hands tight over his legs. This wasn't supposed to happen. He'd known the man's strongest talent was his telepathic abilities, but to master it in one setting was outrageous. Any hope of retribution was now out of the question. "You succeed."

"What...?" That eye was staring at him, and he could feel it, the pressure on his mind. But the screams were true echoes, the pain a memory. His throat didn't hurt because he hadn't screamed at all. And even staring directly into that dark blue eye did nothing but make him shiver as he thought of the presence he'd found. "I don't understand." Silence again. Zechs finally lowered his gaze to glaring red eyes.

"What's there to understand?" Hiei scowled at the man, confused by the wary way Zechs had stared at his jagan. "You obviously are in no pain, and I couldn't force you out. There's nothing left now." Those pale blue eyes blinked dazedly, and he gritted his teeth. If Zechs had smirked, or looked the least bit proud at having bested him, then Hiei would have felt better. At least that way he'd have a good reason to be angry. Now, he was filled with wary unease. How could he have done that so quickly? And if he could, did that mean others could just as easily? The thought was more than daunting.

"You...didn't push me out?" Zechs' eyes widened and he straightened suddenly. His limbs felt weak and numb, but not nearly so boneless as they had during the earlier attempts. "But I felt it."

"If you did, then it was only when you wanted to stop anyway," Hiei said. "You had more than fifteen minutes." His left eyebrow twitched when he imparted that bit of information. He couldn't help it. The man had gone from barely being able to last twenty seconds to a full fifteen minutes and twenty-three seconds. And even then, he'd only ended the invasion when he chose to. It was infuriating and alarming. Hiei had never thought there might be a chance of the man actually besting his jagan. He'd known that working against it would improve Zechs' skill, but that was it. Now he found himself pledged to uphold his end of the bargain, and he hated it.

"Then the pain I felt...it was there all along?" Zechs frowned when Hiei merely looked at him. "And I only registered it when I tried to get out."

Hiei's eyes narrowed sharply, something making his senses peak. "Tried? What do you mean? You had difficulty withdrawing?"

"I..." Zechs felt a wash of cold prickle his skin and he could hear that voice again, those words that had seemed to be directed right at him. //He doesn't know, but he will. For as long as it takes, I'll be here. You'll know regret, soon.// As if that presence knew he was there and wasn't afraid of being revealed. But the words... Hiei didn't know? "There was something that I saw," Zechs said slowly, "that made me want to get out as quickly as possible. That was when I felt the jagan."

Hiei's face went blank as if wiped clean. "Don't speak to me of what you see in my mind. If you don't want to see, don't look. Otherwise, take your fill. It's your right. But don't speak to me of it. I already know, I lived it."

"No," Zechs said. "I don't mean a memory. There was something there, a presence, as if something was sharing your mind and it knew I was there." His wide eyes must have shown the fear and urgency he felt because Hiei leaned away from him.

"A presence?"

"Like a separate entity," Zechs said. "I don't know how to describe it, but it felt as if there were someone else, something else. And it was waiting for something, holing up in the dark part of your mind. It...I think it spoke to me..." His words trailed off. Hiei's expression had changed on the words 'holing up' and the boy was now giving him a strange smirk. "You..."

"That," Hiei said casually, "was not what you think. There's no need to be afraid of that, or to take it as anything other than some part of my consciousness ranting to itself. Let me guess, you looked at my sleeping memories?" Zechs gave a slow nod, and Hiei sniffed at him. "What goes through *your* mind when you sleep? Dreams? Memories? That is normal sleep, filled with the thoughts of the person, experiences, subconscious reasoning. You looked at a memory after I used the kokoryuuha, didn't you. That is not sleep."

"Your attack?" The jumbled memory had certainly been faint, and filled with hints that the host was weak and disoriented. And the encounter with Yukina, it could have been the memory of what happened after Hiei first used the dragon. But why would that sleep be inhabited by a presence? "It was a presence," Zechs said firmly. "I'm sure of it. And it wasn't just a memory, it was active, aware. It knew I was looking at it."

The man's certainty was combined by an urgent fear. Hiei rolled his eyes. "You think it was talking to you." The very idea made a wide, mocking smirk curve his lips. "You really think an attack would speak to you - even if it had a mind of its own? There is no separate entity in me," Hiei stated. His expression cleared into a sober, but annoyed look. "That entity, or presence as you called it, is me. It's a part of me, and always has been. That is my latent self, what mutants feel as their talents when they suddenly find themselves doing things that seem impossible. It has been there since the day-" Biting off the statement, Hiei glared suddenly. Why was he explaining? The man thought his kokoryuuha was a being of itself. And he thought it had spoken to him.

Obviously Zechs hadn't gone back into his memories, or he'd know exactly what that voice was, and where it came from. He'd know why it only surfaced after he used his ultimate talent, and why it had been so vocal after the first time he'd used his kokoryuuha - not on himself, but on an outside target. And even on the off chance that it *had* noticed the intrusion into his mind, Hiei didn't have to explain anything. If Zechs wanted to know, he just had to look at that day, that one memory. The man had been so excited to learn that Hiei didn't forget things, surely he wondered why. But if he hadn't figured it out yet, Hiei wasn't about to enlighten him. It was plain that while Zechs had somehow gotten past his jagan's defenses, he was far from having mastered his talent.

Hiei sniffed. "If you want answers, find them yourself."

* * *

"I'm really not sure this is a good idea," Quatre murmured. He'd waited while Trowa fetched the girl, but Une had gotten more fitful by the minute. Now it was taking a great deal of effort to hold her still, every part of her harsh side was resisting him with a panicky strength. The soft, curiously young aspect had fallen into a quiet whisper in the background, a hint of disappointment. That was a good sign, of course, proof that the two were becoming aware of each other. But Quatre wanted to bring that soft side to the surface, and having it take such a naturally passive role defeated that. "She's not ready for this."

Trowa sighed, pausing in the hall outside the door where Une wouldn't be able to see him or the visitor. "She'll never be ready so long as she's allowed to resist. This is better than if you'd just sprung it on her, she's had more than enough time to get agitated and to realize that fighting won't do her any good. If we don't do it now, you might as well forget about the idea altogether."

"But her soft side is hiding from me," Quatre whispered, his eyes filled with the disappointment that tainted his voice. "I would have to crush her anger to bring it back again. The lady is too weak to fight for herself."

The lady, as Quatre had decided to call her, was little more than a child. In her mind, she was still seventeen, quiet and meek and eager to please. Compared to the Une Treize had created, the lady was a bare shadow of a person, a ghost from the past that couldn't quite be destroyed, just repressed, dormant. Quatre had thought of this after speaking to her earlier and explaining about the students sharing the building with them. The lady was lonely, and she'd been timidly eager at the thought of meeting them. She wanted a friend.

As the one controlling her, Quatre knew he could never take that role. Oh, he wanted to, but Une would never accept that. The idea was to find someone the lady would attach herself to in an instant, and someone so innocent that Une wouldn't go near. Une was steadfast in the belief that innocent mutants were her allies, and children to be protected and avoided if possible. That was the reason Quatre had thought it would work, but that was also the very reason he now had his doubts. Une absolutely did not want a student brought anywhere near her, not when she was surrounded by people she saw as enemies.

"I was hoping the lady would be eager enough to fight against Une," Quatre sighed, "but it doesn't look like she has the will to fight at all. She's resigned to losing without a battle."

"Let her see what she has to fight for before you give up," Trowa said. He could see Quatre's indecision, and he decided for him, pushing the door open so the woman on the bed could see them clearly. Une's face had been a mottled angry red, but it paled the moment she saw the girl he had with him. And a violent trembling started over her body, visible proof that she was resisting Quatre's control as much as possible. Quatre stepped aside so they could enter, and Trowa crossed to the bed, stopping a mere two feet away from the terrified woman. "Lady, this is Yukina." He dropped his gaze to look at the small girl beside him, his eyes glinting at the concerned look on her pale face. "Yukina, I'd like you to meet Lady Une."

The brownhaired woman's face twitched, her eyebrows jerking together in an odd expression since her lips remained pressed tightly closed. Yukina stared at her for a moment before giving a sad smile and crouching in front of her. "Hello, Lady. I'm very pleased to meet you."

Quatre chewed his lower lip, wary eyes flicking from the silent woman, to Yukina's patient expression. He'd thought of her first since they didn't know many at the school, and she had such a disarmingly gentle smile. If anyone would suit as a friend for the lady, it was her. But Yukina was so sweet. Une could rip her apart with her frigid manner, and they had no right to subject the girl to that. Trowa laid a restraining hand on his shoulder, and he frowned up at him, shaking his head. He didn't know exactly what Trowa had told Yukina when he'd convinced her to come here, so he had no idea if the girl were prepared for what the woman might say.

"I live here," Yukina murmured, her gaze shifting over the woman's braided hair, and the odd uniform she wore. "So I know the town very well. I could find you something more comfortable if you dislike the uniforms the school provides." The woman stared mutely at her, and she drifted a bit closer, her gaze moving again to those tight brown braids. "You'd much rather wear it down, wouldn't you. Are you afraid someone might get angry if you were to do that? No one here will reprimand you, I promise."

The girl stood gracefully, reaching out as if to touch Une's hair, and Quatre jerked forward, Trowa's grip on his shoulder the only thing holding him back. "Don't," Trowa murmured. "Just wait, you know Une won't hurt her."

"My talent is ice," Yukina continued, smiling at the woman whose wide gaze had followed her movements. "I hope it isn't too cold for you." Pale lips parted and she paused, waiting to hear the answer. But the woman closed her mouth again, giving the slightest shake of her head. "You can tell me," Yukina said. "It won't hurt my feelings." Again, a very slight shake of the head was the response, and she pursed her lips. "But you're shivering. If you aren't cold, are you afraid? You don't have to be afraid of me. I'd rather die than hurt anyone." With light hands, she undid the two braids, letting them fall to Une's shoulders. The woman continued to watch her, and she smiled at those wide, wary eyes. "You have beautiful hair, Lady. You didn't grow it so long just to tie it away like that, did you?"

"No..."

Quatre's heart jumped to his throat at that soft word, not because he'd expected the lady to remain silent, but because Une was the one who'd spoken. The mind he was in touch with remained frightened, defiant, and upset, but the lady was as dormant as she'd been the moment Yukina entered the room. Une was still in control. And yet she'd responded, he didn't know what to make of that. Trowa pulled on his shoulder a little, and Quatre sidled away from the bed, taking a very quiet seat at the desk where they could watch without intruding any more than necessary. He still had a firm grip on Une, keeping her from bolting or any other wayward impulses he caught going through her mind. It was just better that he not be in her line of vision, the two didn't need a distraction.

"I didn't think so," Yukina smiled. She finished undoing the tight little braids and ran her fingers over them, separating the strands and melding them together. "I never cut my hair because I love the feel of having it brushed for me. Niisan used to say it felt like kitsune fur." She gave a small laugh that made Une's face twitch again, her rapt attention not shifting a bit. "I've never held a kitsune, so I don't know if he was right or not. Relena-dono says it's more like neko fur, very soft. Your hair reminds me of silk, like hers. Maybe you can meet her sometime. I'm sure she'd enjoy that, and you can see what I mean. Don't tell anyone, but she loves to have people fuss with her hair."

The pretty girl winked, her smile sparkling in her eyes. Une blinked, keeping her eyes closed for a long moment before frowning at girl who was running her hands so gently through her hair. "I've never had anyone...fuss, with my hair," she said. Her voice was rough, but soft.

Yukina's eyes widened and she let out a little sound of disapproval. "Never? Do you not have any family? No siblings?"

Something shifted over Une's face, her voice a bare whisper that made Quatre straighten. "I had a brother..."

The shift was abrupt, almost too quickly for him to even follow it, and Quatre exchanged a swift glance with Trowa from where they sat. The lady hadn't taken dominance, but he had the distinct impression she'd come up to whisper from behind Une. It was almost a visual image that sprang to mind from reading the woman, as if he could see the shadowy lady peeking out from around the cold lieutenant. This was more than he'd accomplished through days of pushing at her. And that made perfect sense to him. Of course it did. He and Zechs and even Trowa had poked and prodded her, trying to force the woman to do what they wanted. But there wasn't much they could do to tempt her out voluntarily. She was too set against them. Yukina, on the other hand, appealed to both sides of the woman.

"Did you lose him?" Yukina asked, her voice very soft.

"Yes..."

"And you miss him terribly." The woman nodded, and Yukina sighed, petting her hand over silky brown hair. "So many of us are broken from our homes," she murmured, her voice as soothing as the petting motions were. "Most of the students here left all of their loved ones behind. Did he reject you, Lady?"

"No." Une's eyes sharpened and she shook her head, turning so she could see the girl who'd climbed up to sit next to her. "No, he didn't. I couldn't stay with him any longer. It wasn't his fault."

"Then he still loves you," Yukina whispered, her eyes very wide. "Did your parents drive you away because you're a mutant?" Une averted her gaze, and she sighed. "You're not alone, Lady. You're welcome here, just the way you are. And I'm sure you'll see your brother again someday."

"You really believe that?"

There was a bite to the woman's tone, and Quatre winced. If there was one thing they knew, it was that Une had no fanciful notions in her entire core. Yukina didn't seem to notice, though. She gave a lovely smile and nodded sharply. "Hai, I believe that."

Une's eyes widened and she let out a quick breath, shaking her head at the girl. "How can you be so naive?"

Yukina smiled, not the least bit bothered. "As long as you love each other, you'll see him again."

It was so simply stated that Une winced, unaware that Trowa had mimicked the reaction. "How young are you? Have you been sheltered your entire life? What are you doing here if you have such faith in loving families? Why aren't you with your family?"

"I am," Yukina answered. "But you're upset with me." She sighed, her expression downcast. "I never meant to upset you, Lady. Forgive me. We can talk about something else if you like. Books, perhaps? Do you have any interests? I've always loved nature, especially animals. Relena-dono says it's ironic that I do, since my talent is ice, but I liked them long before I knew I was a mutant."

"I don't have any interests," Une muttered, frowning at the girl. "I don't have the time for such things." Yukina's smile faded and she grimaced, rubbing at her temple. "I'm not like you."

The last bit was growled out, and Yukina leaned away, her eyes dimming. "I'm sorry, Lady. There's no need to get angry with me. If I'm bothering you, I can leave." She turned on the bed, sending a look at the two boys seated by the desk. Quatre's expression was downcast, but he gave her a nod. "Maybe I can see you again," she whispered to Une. "If you ever want company." The woman didn't look at her, and she sighed as she shifted off the bed. A step later she turned back, wide eyes on the warm hand that had shot out to catch her wrist. "Lady?"

"Don't..."

There was an internal struggle going on, and it was all Quatre could do not to interfere. He wanted to see if the lady could hold her own without his help. From the shy gaze that lifted to Yukina, he didn't think he'd have to do anything.

"Stay...?"

Yukina beamed, reaching out a gentle hand to brush the woman's hair. "I'd be happy to, Lady. Just tell me when you want me to go. I won't be a bother to you."

"You aren't bothering me. I..." The girl resumed her seat on the bed, and she turned to look at her, a hesitant smile making her face look years younger. "Would you tell me about your interests? I've never been around animals, but I'd like to hear about them. My brother always wanted a puppy..."

"Niisan had a kitsune once," Yukina smiled, "but she was too wild for me to touch. He caught her under our home and she scratched him so much I thought he would get sick from it. But he didn't. She stayed for days, nosing around outside. I couldn't go out, but he let me watch her through the window when she came by. That was the first animal I ever saw. I remember I wanted to hold her so much."

"But you didn't get to?" The lady sighed, her expression just as regretful as Yukina's. "Were you too young to go outside, or was she too wild?"

"She was heavy with kits, so she was too wild. He was afraid she'd bite me if he brought her in and it was too dangerous to go outside."

"Why dangerous?"

Yukina's eyes went distant, her lips curving into a little frown. "I don't really remember why. We were alone for a long time, and it was just...dangerous outside. Niisan only went out because she was scratching under the floor. She must have gotten stuck." She shook her head, flashing a quick smile. "But watching her in the field made me love animals. She'd dart through and the birds would fly up, so pretty. Birds are my favorites now." The lady smiled at her, and Yukina's eyes widened. "I could show you mine sometime," she offered, "if you like. They aren't pets, but they like to be fed from the windows. If you're very quiet, they'll land right on your hands."

"I'd like that..."

* * *

"Heero..."

The quiet whisper made Heero's eyebrows twitch, but he shook his head, not looking over. His search had turned up far more than he'd expected, and he was too deep in thought to be bothered.

"Please...?"

Teeth gnashing at the way that sad voice got to him, Heero turned sharply. "What?!" His gaze snapped to Duo and he nearly fell off the rock. The boy wasn't there, and neither was the ground. Completely forgetting the point of being in the forest, he stared down into the cave in shock. "Duo!"

"You see it, too?" Duo asked, his voice still faint. His stomach was doing flips, and he was sure his face had turned a mottled green shade. A glance found Heero's eyes very wide as the boy nodded. He sighed in relief. "Great, because I think I'm going to be sick." With that, he promptly turned visible again and curled forward on his knees, his arms wrapped around his stomach. How Trowa managed to fly around the way he did, Duo would never know. Just the feeling of sitting in midair had given him an attack he could only describe as vertigo. He couldn't think of any other reason he'd feel sick the moment the ground disappeared. And the aching nausea in his stomach had rushed straight to his head.

The immediate shock wore off a moment after Duo turned visible, and Heero frowned at the boy. Setting his laptop aside, he shifted to the edge of the rock. "Duo? Are you all right?"

"No..." Duo knew he sounded pathetic, but he really didn't care. "My head hurts, and my stomach hurts worse. I feel like I'm going to throw up, or pass out - or both." He shivered, the movement making his head throb worse.

A soft whimper ended Heero's hesitation, drawing him over to crouch beside Duo. "Here," he said, turning the boy to him. Duo curled, half on his side, with his head pressed against Heero's shoulder. "Take deep breaths and try not to move."

"I don't like this," Duo groaned, hiding his face hard against Heero's shoulder. "I'm not afraid of heights, so why does it feel so bad? My head won't stop throbbing and I'm all shaky like I've been running or something..."

"Maybe you pushed yourself too much," Heero frowned. "How much effort did it take to turn the ground invisible like that?"

"I don't know," Duo muttered, his voice muffled. "How long have we been out here?"

"About five hours." More than long enough for anyone to get worn if he were using his talents the entire time. Heero glared at himself, his arms tightening around the shaking boy. He hadn't paid any attention to Duo since he opened his laptop and started his search. He'd thought the entire idea was stupid, a waste of time. But he should have known Duo would be stubborn enough to keep pushing himself whether it was an impossible task or not. "Is your mouth dry?" The question seemed to surprise Duo, because the boy stilled a bit before giving vague nod. "We're going back."

"I don't want to," Duo groaned, holding tight to Heero's waist. "I don't want to move. Just let me lie down for a while. You can finish with the computer while you wait. Okay?"

There was a hint of petulance in Duo's tone, but Heero knew it stemmed more from the way he was feeling than anything. "You need to lie down in a nice warm place, not out here on the ground. Come on." Lifting the boy would have been much easier if he hadn't whimpered again. Heero's eyes were tightly closed by the time he got them both to an upright position. He hated having caused that, but he knew he was right. He wasn't about to leave Duo to rest out here. That tight grip on him loosened and he opened his eyes, tightening his own hold on the boy. He looked down just in time to see Duo's violet eyes roll back in his head, his body falling into a limp, dead faint. Under any other circumstances, he would have smirked at the very idea. Now he berated himself, growling under his breath as he lifted Duo and retrieved his laptop. No matter that he'd succeeded in his search with the thing, he was going to have to make this up to Duo the moment the boy was feeling better. There was no excuse for neglecting him like that.

* * *

"He knows I love him."

"I'd think that would make it easier," Wufei frowned. They were seated on the limb, him leaning against the trunk of the tree while Kurama sat a few inches further out. The teen was kicking his feet as they talked, that long silver tail flicking in rhythm behind him. He'd laughed when he first saw that, but Kurama hadn't minded. He'd even returned the smile. Now they were doing exactly what Kurama had suggested earlier, talking about their love lives. Surprisingly enough, the youth was very tactful when he'd called an end to the day's practice - right before Wufei was ready to swallow his pride and call an end himself. Much more of that and he'd be too worn to hide it.

"You'd think so," Kurama murmured. "I tell him all the time."

"Does he love you back?"

Kurama smirked, flashing a smug look at the black-haired boy. "He's loved me all along, that's why I stayed with him. I don't think I could settle for unrequited love. Of course, he's never said it out loud, but he doesn't need to. When you know someone as well as I do him, you can tell without words. I just like to say it to remind him that it isn't one-sided."

Wufei raised an eyebrow, shifting more comfortably. "So you love him, he loves you, and you've been together for years. What's the problem? I've known people who got together mere weeks after meeting each other."

"Duo and Heero?" Kurama laughed when the boy smirked at him, "I thought as much."

"So?"

"It's complicated," Kurama shrugged. "I don't even know how old he is. I think he's attracted to me in this form for certain, but I've never gotten any proof...if you know what I mean." Wufei flushed a little, and Kurama smirked. "Yeah. I hold him all the time, but he doesn't have any sort of reaction from it. The only time I get the impression that he's turned on in the slightest is when we spar, and he usually passes out immediately afterward, so that doesn't help me any. I'm afraid he just sees me as another sibling."

Wufei winced. "I guess you should have expected that, if you've been together that long, since he was a kid."

"We were both kids," Kurama said. "That didn't stop me from noticing him. But I'm older, I had my first 'reaction' to him two years ago. Pathetic, really. For all I know he could have been eleven at the time, and not thirteen. You just can't tell with Hiei. He looks mature, physically, and he certainly sounds mature. But I can't stand the thought of hitting on him if he's even younger than I think he is."

"You really think he might not have hit puberty yet?" Wufei asked, raising an eyebrow. "As deep as his voice is?"

"His voice was always deep," Kurama sighed, his silver ears sagging against his hair. He didn't notice the way Wufei's lips twitched at that. "A nine year old who sounded like he was twenty. My first thought was that he was a midget." He glanced over and gave into a smile at the way Wufei was smothering laughter. "Yeah, that was mean of me, but it's true. I've always been tall for my age, but I have a very high voice. I just didn't expect to meet someone who was the exact opposite. He surprised me."

"So what do you plan to do?" Wufei asked. "Wait a few more years?"

"Definitely not. I'd go insane if I had to wait that long, especially now." Kurama flicked a sly look at Wufei, his tail twitching to the side. "I could be mistaken, but I think I'm in the prime of my life here. I can barely sleep with him without wanting to pounce while he's off his guard."

Wufei's face darkened, and he shot Kurama a strange look. "You sleep with him?"

"Sleep, just sleep. And yes, I certainly do. I happen to love sleeping with him, and I have for years. It's comforting to the both of us."

"Ah."

"Anyway," Kurama sniffed. "I'm stuck. I figure I'll either pounce him during a sparring session - before he uses his kokoryuuha, or I'll wake up one night and find out my dream just turned into a reality. I'm hoping for the former, at least then I don't have to worry about Hiei burning the school down trying to get me if he doesn't appreciate the advance." Wufei gave a quiet laugh at that, and Kurama smiled at him. "Your turn."

Wufei blinked, his smile fading. "Oh, I'm not with anyone."

"No interests?" Kurama prodded. "Surely there's someone in your group. How about the tall one, Trowa. He looks strong. Or the pretty one if you're looking for a more dominant relationship. Quatre seems to be very sensitive and sweet."

"He is," Wufei smirked, "and he'd probably kill me if I went after Trowa, and vice versa. They're a couple. They got together before Heero and Duo did."

"Oh." Kurama sagged, his mental images falling away. "Well, what about Zechs? He's the only one left."

"And I'm not that desperate," Wufei sniffed. "He's a push over. I did think about it for a while there. I know he was attracted to me, and he does have his redeeming side. But I'm not going to lower my standards for someone that passive. If he doesn't have it in him to make the first move, then I'm better off without him."

"Now that's a hell of a way to look at it." The boy blinked in surprise, and Kurama shook his head at him. "Any relationship is two-sided. I might have to do the chasing to nab Hiei, but I'd never bother if he weren't in love with me already. There's no excuse to sit back and expect someone else to do all the work if you aren't willing to lift a finger to help yourself."

"No!" Wufei shook his head sharply, blinking a bit when his hair didn't brush his cheeks. He'd forgotten about having tied it back after Kurama complained of getting a mouthfull of hair that first time working with his lightning. A brief frown and he turned to Kurama again. "It's not that I'm unwilling to pursue someone. I just don't want a person who is completely passive. He doesn't stand up for himself. He has very insightful ideas, and he'll give those with confidence, but if something goes wrong he sits back and takes the blame as if that's his lot in life. I hate that. I know he's had problems, but we all have. Duo has, and it never stopped him from going after what he wanted."

"I see," Kurama drawled, his golden eyes narrow. "You're comparing him to Duo. That's the real issue, isn't it. You expect to find someone who will live up to the standards Duo set. That's hardly fair."

"It's not fair," Wufei admitted, glaring at his folded arms. "But I don't want someone who blushes and runs away when I catch him looking at me, as if I'll yell at him or something."

Kurama sighed, shaking his head at the boy. "I can understand that, but if he doesn't know you return his interest, what else would he expect? Have you said or done anything to let him know that you're looking at him in return?"

"No."

"Heh, I think you're both out of your elements." The boy glowered at the pun, and Kurama waved a hand at him. "Just give it some time. After working with Hiei, Zechs will either build a backbone in a heartbeat, or turn into a puddle of mush. It's only a matter of time. You can't spend that many hours around Hiei without adapting to him - either finding your own strength to counter him, or yielding to the point where you run away from him with your tail between your legs."

"And you would know all about tails," Wufei nodded.

Kurama twitched, his tail bristling a bit. "Funny."

"I know," Wufei smirked. "I'm not as good as Duo is at teasing, but I don't know anyone who is. And like I said, I'm not going to lower my standards. I'm not desperate for anyone right now."

"That's good. Just give it some time. There's never an excuse for lowering your standards out of loneliness. Only, don't tell Hiei I said that." Kurama winked when Wufei sent him a funny look. "I sometimes think if Hiei had met Duo instead of me, he'd have fallen in love just the same. He has a soft spot for big, pretty eyes."

Imagining the irritable Hiei swooning over Duo's eyes made Wufei snicker. "I can't see it."

"Yep," Kurama nodded sagely. "Makes me wonder why he likes me in this form, since my eyes are so narrow. I think it's the tail." The boy choked on another bit of laughter, and Kurama gave him a mocking glare. "Don't believe me? Feel for yourself."

Wufei nearly fell out of the tree, the bushy tail falling into his lap. His face turned dark red and he blinked very wide eyes at Kurama. "That's okay. Really."

"Don't be shy," Kurama smirked. "I'm not going to jump you. I already told you, the only person I want in this tree is Hiei. That's never going to change. Just touch it, it really does feel just like an animal, only softer."

His face had never felt hotter, but Wufei took a deep breath and brushed his hand over the edge of that thick tail, pulling his palm away just as quickly. And he blinked in surprise. "It doesn't feel like hair at all. It's like...velvet or some mix of velvet and silk, only not quite so soft."

"Fox fur," Kurama smirked. "That's what Hiei says. Not only do I look like a kitsune, but it seems I feel like one too. So don't mock the tail. It's the only thing I have going for me in this form since I don't have the big pretty eyes."

Wufei smirked and shook his head, pushing the tail off his lap. "I still doubt he fell in love with you just because you had big eyes."

"Big *pretty* eyes," Kurama corrected. "And sad ones, too, at least when we met. I think it's called the hurt puppy look."

"I'll take your word for it," Wufei said. He shook his head again as he moved to check his watch. "I'm getting hungry now, so I think I'll head back. You didn't want to practice any more today, did you?"

"No," Kurama said. "You did well for your first day of this. Too much effort would just burn you out. That's not just dangerous, it sets you back for days. Then you wouldn't be able to build your endurance until you can master the talent. And I still want to see you fly. We definitely can't have you burning yourself out all at once."

The teen stood with a somehow taunting smirk that made Wufei's eyebrow twitch. "Right."

"Besides," Kurama smiled, shrugging his shoulders. "I really have to get back anyway. If I don't stop Hiei, Zechs will either get sick from exhaustion, or snap and try attacking - that would just get him hurt and put Hiei in a very nasty mood. Can't have that."

Wufei sniffed at the idea, glowering as he hopped down to the ledge. "I really doubt Zechs would attack him. He was practically terrified when he left earlier."

"And you're holding that against him, too?" Kurama scowled, jumping down and making Wufei take a sharp step back so he wouldn't get hit. "Let me tell you something, Wufei. I like you, but when you're wrong, I'll tell you flat out. Hiei was furious this morning. Livid. The last time I saw him that angry, he sliced six men into pieces right in front of me. It took me hours to wash the blood out of my hair. There's nothing cowardly about being afraid of him when he's that angry. Zechs was right to react the way he did. Trust me."

Something Kurama had mentioned that morning came back to him, and Wufei found himself edging away. Kurama was more dangerous in this form. He could see that now, in the way those narrow golden eyes sparked at him, chilling him more than the warning did. "I believe you," he said quietly. "I take it back."

"No," Kurama said, wincing a bit at the wary look Wufei was giving him. "You don't have to apologize, I just wanted you to know better. I love Hiei, and he is a very caring person. But his anger is nothing to take lightly."

"Should we not have let Zechs go alone with him, then?" Wufei asked, his gaze not just wary but decidedly nervous.

"Oh." Kurama grimaced, rubbing his forehead as he swiftly shifted back to his redhaired form. "No, don't worry about that. Like I told Duo, Hiei didn't want to kill Zechs, just hurt him. I just hope he got his fill of it. I don't want this hanging over our heads for however long the six of you are here. I'm going to have enough trouble working with Zechs without Hiei breathing down our necks because he doesn't trust him."

"Do you think Zechs will hold it against you?" Wufei shook his head sharply. "He won't. He felt as guilty as Duo and Quatre did this morning, after you left. The only reason he agreed in the first place was because he blamed himself for letting a mutant get too close to us not long ago. He was hoping to make up for it. Now he's probably hating himself for failing, and for alienating you."

"I didn't think he'd be angry with me," Kurama said, leading the way back around the valley. "I just don't like the idea of talking to him after he's been inside my head, and definitely not after he's been inside Hiei's mind. I can forgive him for prodding into my memories, but the thought of him probing Hiei makes me want to strangle him."

Wufei blanched, hurrying to catch up so he could see Kurama's face. "Maybe you shouldn't work with him."

"No, I have to. Hiei doesn't have the sort of control to really teach Zechs how to moderate his healing powers. He can get him used to watching them, but not controlling them. I'll have to take that part up." Kurama glanced to the side, blinking at the wary gaze Wufei had on him. "Do you think I'll attack him or something? I'm the jealous type, but I do have self control. Just warn him not to mention anything he saw in Hiei's mind when we work together and he'll be fine. I don't need any reminders. And there may be things that Hiei still hasn't told me about - I don't want to know them if Zechs finds them out. Hiei knows I can't read minds, so anything I know comes directly from him. If there's anything he's chosen not to share with me, I'll keep it that way until he's ready to tell me."

"You're unusual, you know that, don't you?" Wufei shook his head when Kurama frowned at him. "I think most people would want to know if their loved ones were keeping secrets from them. That you'd willingly wait shows deep maturity."

Kurama grinned, flushing just a bit. "I've always been mature for my age. But don't get the wrong idea, that's not why I'm willing to wait. I want Hiei to tell me everything. Second-hand information just isn't good enough for me."

* * *
TBC
--notes--
Japanese=English terms: kitsune = fox, neko = cat, hai = yes, niisan = brother, jagan = evil eye, kokoruuha = Hiei's black dragon attack
[Next part may contain a lemon, check the warnings before reading it. And for those who wondered, Une is Japanese in this fic, which is why she referred to Treize as 'Treize-sama' when I first introduced her to the cast. Yukina and the YYH cast are also Japanese. Anyone upset that I've changed the nature of Hiei's dragon should be reminded that this is an alternate universe fic - meaning I make the rules. ^.^ ]