Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ G-men ❯ Confidantes ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Category: AU, Yaoi, Gundam Wing fusion with the X-men series
Pairings: 1x2, 3x4, 5x6/6x5
Warnings: shonen ai, very slight angst
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com

G-men

Part 12: Confidantes

//Damn him. Damn him for being right. What am I waiting for? This isn't me, I'm never indecisive. Hesitation? It doesn't make sense. I don't understand. What's wrong? What the *hell* is wrong with me?!// With a cry of fury, Heero slammed his fist into the trunk of the tree, gritting his teeth as skin broke and slamming the other fist into it as well. Adrenalin rushing through his system, he pulled his fists back in preparation for another blow.

"If you're set on self-mutilation could you do it somewhere else?"

Like lightening, Heero pulled his gun, aiming up into the branches of the tree above him. There was a flash of wide, if shadowed, violet eyes then the tree was empty. Seconds passed, then slowly, almost shaking with fury, Heero replaced his gun. Cobalt eyes practically shooting sparks, he glared into the darkness. "Baka!" he snarled, "I should kill you."

"It may be my fate to be killed by you," Duo quipped, smiling weakly even as his heart still raced, "but I figure you wouldn't have put your gun away if you were going to kill me."

"Baka," Heero repeated, calming slowly as he realized he had frightened the boy. //Good. He won't do *that* again.// "Don't take such risks. You're lucky you're still alive."

Duo was stretched out on his stomach on a thick limb. At Heero's words, his smile disappeared. "I know." With a sigh, he buried his face in his folded arms.

"What are you doing out here? You said you were going to bed."

"No I didn't." Raising his head to look down at Heero, Duo sighed again. "I said it was my *cue* to go to bed. I didn't say I was going. Besides," resting his cheek against his arm, he continued to look down at the boy beneath him. "I couldn't sleep."

"Why not?"

Eyes widening at the question, Duo let out a small laugh. "If I knew *that* I'd be able to fix it, wouldn't I." Smirking, Duo looked over Heero's even expression. "What are *you* doing out here?"

For a moment the Japanese boy simply looked at him eyes glinting in the dark, then he smirked. "Self mutilation?"

Duo choked, staring at him in shock. "Oh-my-God! Did you just make a joke?! And a good one too..."

"Arigato," Heero said, expression deadpanned.

Mouth open, Duo blinked at him. "Are you okay, Heero?"

Smirking, Heero enjoyed the sight of the longhaired boy gaping like a fish. "Do you want something to help you sleep?"

Duo flinched, shaking his head quickly. "No. I'm fine." Moving quickly, he swung himself off the limb, landing lightly beside Heero. "I hate drugs."

"Even sleeping pills?" Heero asked, brow creasing as he frowned at the other boy.

"Especially those." Duo made a face of distaste, deeper anger, not quite masked, showing through. Turning, he started to head back to the safe-house only to be stopped by Heero who grabbed his wrist.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Looking over his shoulder in surprise, Duo slowly turned to face him, confusion marring his face. "Why do you ask?"

Heero made his own expression of distaste, but forced the words out, determined to act on his emotions. "I..." he grimaced slightly. "I'd like to know."

Duo eyed him warily, expression completely unguarded. Finally, he nodded. "Alright."

Walking back to the tree, he slowly sank to the ground, legs crossed as he leaned against the trunk. Following, Heero sat beside him, turned slightly so he could see the other boy's face. Not quite close enough to be touching, he nevertheless took pleasure in their nearness and the fact that Duo was willing to confide in *him*.

"This isn't pretty," Duo warned quietly, eyes solemn as he took in Heero's patient expression.

"Very little is in a war," Heero said slowly, "But maybe...sharing could help."

"This isn't like you."

"How much do you know about me?" Heero shot back, one eyebrow raised.

Duo chuckled ruefully, "About as much as I know about Trowa. About as much as *you* know about *me*. Okay. I'm just defensive is all, I don't talk about this."

"You don't have to talk about it."

"No, I'm making it harder with this run-around. See, I lived in a church, Maxwell Church, for two years when I was ten. I've been an orphan for as long as I can remember, so they were my family. There were about twenty kids staying there and Father Maxwell and Sister Hellen took care of all of us. My mutation...I don't know how you found out about yours, but mine made a very...abrupt and public arrival. I just...started disappearing. I didn't know how to control it. I guess OZ got wind of it because a guy came to the church asking questions. I should have left then." Duo sighed, glancing at Heero's solemn expression. "Father Maxwell knew I didn't have any place to go, and when he told me he'd taken care of things, I believed him. He said he'd convinced him there were no demons staying at *his* church." Duo's eyes lit up suddenly and he smiled wryly.

"What?" Heero prompted, curious about the smile.

"He never lied, but I think he came close when he told them that. The other church officials used to call me `Maxwell's demon.' I was a rotten kid." He looked at Heero for a minute, then he sighed and his smile faded away. "I was still scared that they'd come back, so I started sleeping in the rafters. I know it sounds strange, but there were crawl spaces and us kids used to use them when we played. I was afraid they'd come back and get me and I didn't know how to stay invisible when I was asleep. I still have trouble but I've got it down now. Anyway," Duo turned his head to look out across the yard. "They did come back while we were sleeping, but they made sure we wouldn't wake up. I guess they put something in our food, I don't know. When I woke up they'd set the church on fire. I tried to get to the others, I really did. If I hadn't hidden. If I hadn't been so far away from them..."

Heero clenched his fists as he spotted the brightness in Duo's averted eyes and heard the strain in his voice as he trailed off. "Duo..."

"God!" Burying his face in his hands, he let out a shaky breath. "Do...do you have any idea what it's like to run away while everyone you love dies?" Eyes blurry, he looked at Heero. "There were soldiers surrounding the...church. They were waiting for anyone who came out. I don't know if anyone else did. They saw me and I ran. I just ran away and left them. They died because of me."

Heero felt cornered, he didn't know what to do to help the boy hunched over beside him. All he wanted was to wrap his arms around him and make the pain go away. So he did the closest thing he dared and moved an arm slowly around Duo's shoulders. Duo looked up sharply, wide eyes filled with unshed tears. For a moment he stared at Heero, then he leaned over and rested his forehead against Heero's chest, letting out a long sigh when he felt arms snake around him.

They were both silent as they sat together. Nothing they might have said seemed worth breaking the comfortable silence. Finally, Heero moved a hand to touch the back of Duo's neck, brushing a finger at the wisps of hair that escaped his braid.

"Let's go inside. It's getting cold out here."

Lifting his head, Duo looked at him. "I...I don't want to be alone."

"You won't be."

* * *

Heero woke abruptly as usual, wide-awake within seconds. Unlike most other mornings, he didn't feel like getting up. In fact, he didn't want to move at all. Without opening his eyes, he moved his fingers, confirming his memories of the previous night. Lifting his head very slowly, he looked at the boy sleeping in his arms as if he belonged there. Then he froze and turned to look toward the living room doorway.

Wufei's eyes moved over Duo's face as the longhaired boy lay on the couch, his head resting on Heero's arm. Leaning against the doorway, he slowly lifted his eyes to meet Heero's blazing gaze, taking in the challenging claim he saw there. They stared at each other, then Heero tightened his grip on the boy causing him to sigh and hide his face against Heero's neck. Eyes narrowing, the Japanese boy glared at Wufei, daring him to speak.

Looking at Duo's hand where it lay, fingers clenched around a fold of Heero's green tank top, Wufei drew in a deep breath. Then a small smile came to his face and he met Heero's angry gaze, smile widening. He nodded once, then turned and went into the kitchen, letting the door shut loudly behind him.

* * *
TBC