Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 2 Reign ❯ Huevos Fritos ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eighteen: Huevos Fritos

 

"Duo!" I nearly fell forward as Quatre landed on my back, steadying myself quickly as he laughed and wrapped his legs tightly around me, letting go with his hands, "Hi."

 

I stared at him as best I could as long as I could, wondering what we looked like. I was heading out the front doors to go out again.

 

"You weren't going to leave without me, now, were you?" Quatre demanded, petting my head and draping one arm around my neck, "Because, really…that would be very rude."

 

I laughed, shaking him off and smacking at him as he hopped out of my reach, meeting eyes with the valet, Nicolas, who was blinking between us.

 

"You know the drill," he informed the man, glancing side-long at me as he offered a bill, "Probably one tonight, though."

 

"What?" I asked.

 

"He's going to pick us up," Quatre explained happily. He really looked pleased with this idea. "That way we can both get smashed and not kill someone on our way home."

 

I looked from him to the valet a moment, wondering how many times they'd done this.

 

"Is one all right with you, Sir?" Nicolas asked, smiling slightly.

 

I gave him a sour look. This was the same guy who'd told me Nira was gone. I nodded anyway, wrapping an arm around Quatre's shoulders, "Sounds fine."

 

"Shall I let you bring friends home?" he asked Quatre.

 

"Yes," I replied before Quatre could say anything, "No males, though."

 

The man flushed, avoiding my eyes as he nodded and Quatre gave me a look.

 

I laughed at them both, climbing into the car as the guy walked around it.

 

"No males?" Quatre hissed at me sarcastically, "I'm straight, dumb-ass."

 

"Not when you're drunk," I countered, smirking at him, "Where do we get picked up at, anyway?"

 

Quatre studied me with wary eyes, then looked to the driver, "The Pub tonight, please."

 

"Fine."

 

"Did you tell anyone else you were coming with me?"

 

"No," Quatre replied, his eyes shining as he ran his hand through my hair-so he was going to fuck with me. Fair enough, I'd done it to him. "I want them to worry about me a little. I won't answer my phone, but you can if it suits you."

 

I smiled, catching his hand, "Be careful what you do to me, Quatre. I'm not one to get uncomfortable and back away when things get…" I thought a moment, running my tongue along my teeth, "Complicated."

 

He laughed, yanking his hand away and sitting normal to buckle, "I'll keep that in mind."

 

-

 

I could see in the way Duo was dancing that I didn't want to fuck with him tonight…but fucking with Duo was highly entertaining. One thing I did notice about him, though, was the way his attention never lingered on a male for more than a moment. Of course, he'd bring the friends of his friends to my general area. If he picked up on a chick-they invariably came in at least pairs, he'd head over to me and set me up to dance. It was fun…

 

And if I didn't know any better, he was planning something.

 

Whether his intention was to be sure I approved of his females or if he was just feeling friendly, I had no idea. He'd give me almost conspiratorial looks as we danced, and he never made the friends stray far apart…which meant he was dancing near me.

 

I was feeling pretty lit when he finally came up to me with a pair of girls who could be no older than twenty. I was wondering how they got into the club at all, since it was twenty-one and over only, but they were both very amicable females, and both very interested in me.

 

I studied Duo's back as he talked to a guy that was standing beside him. He had very little interest in the girls, which made me wonder what was wrong with them.

 

My watch beeped.

 

"It's one," I informed him, wrapping my hand around his bicep and wondering at the size, seeing as it was too large for me to wrap my fingers around.

 

"What?" he asked, coughing, turning to blink at me in confusion. He stared at me a long moment with heavy-lidded eyes, looking me slowly from head to foot. After a long moment a smile spread across his lips…and smoke was leaking from his mouth, "Q?"

 

"Are you okay?" I asked warily, moving a bit away from him.

 

He exhaled a large cloud of smoke, nodding at me dismissively, turning back to his friend and leaning over to kiss him. He muttered to the guy a moment before running a hand between his thighs and giving him back the cigarette.

 

"Duo?" I asked, quietly.

 

"Meet me here tomorrow," Duo purred to the guy without acknowledging me, "Around…ten, I think."

 

His friend was smiling very happily at him, though he was a bit unfocused, "If I remember."

 

Duo did something that shocked me then. He grabbed the guy's cock and leaned to his ear, "I suggest you remember or I'll be unhappy."

 

"Threats only turn me on," the man replied, exhaling, not even the slightest perturbed.

 

Duo's laughter was evil as he bit the man under the ear, "That's my intent."

 

"Duo?" I asked again. His voice wasn't normal, not even for when he was fucking with me.

 

He met my eyes, smiling that smile again before looking to the girls, "Go away."

 

They stared at him-and I was as well.

 

"It's time to go, Q, what are you doing?" he asked, grabbing me by the arm and pulling me from the bar. With a series of shoves and pushes, he directed me toward the door. He didn't give me time to regain my footing or even look where I was going. I fell on my ass as we cleared the Pub, glaring up accusingly at him.

 

He smirked at me, "That's an appealing sight."

 

"You're not funny," I informed him.

 

"No," he agreed, reaching down and pulling me up as Nick moved around the car to look at us, "Which is why I'm amused."

 

"Are you all right, Sir Maxwell?" Nick asked warily, fiddling with the keys and his palm as he looked between us.

 

"I'm fine," Duo purred at the valet, studying his eyes closely a moment before looking to me, "Will you get in already?"

 

I did as told before he shoved me in, bothered. Something about Duo was off right now.

 

But now, I decided, was not the time to figure it out.

 

-

 

I studied Duo curiously as he stared at the ceiling above himself, "But nothing tonight?"

 

"Nothing," he replied in vague exasperation, "He liked all the girls I took up to him, but none hung around him for too long."

 

"Could you figure out why?"

 

"Not really, he danced and laughed with them all…well, if I let their friend go he would let them go. It was irritating. I mean, shit, I wasn't giving him their friends so they would dance with me."

 

"That's probably what he saw, though," I muttered, not sure what I was seeing. Duo was acting completely normal-almost too normal. But how could you accuse someone of that? Not that it would mean anything…it just wasn't how he had acted since he got back…and a bit disturbing.

 

"Yeah…" he sat up suddenly, blinking at me before rising to his feet and shaking his head, "I need to sleep."

 

"It's only just one-thirty."

 

"I'm aware," he lied. Well, he hadn't looked to his watch since he got in.

 

"Are you all right?" I demanded finally, moving to follow him.

 

He flashed me a dirty grin and I paused before remembering his promise and giving chase. "I'm fine," he added finally, "I'm just tired."

 

I shoved him hard against the wall so he'd look at me for more than two seconds, but this action did little more than provoke him. His eyes narrowed and he leaned his head forward so he was in my face, studying my eyes-and grabbed my upper arms in his hands.

 

"Look at me," I ordered, yanking one arm away…only for him to rest that on my hip. I wasn't completely sure if this was a conscious gesture or not, but I ripped my other arm away from him and shoved his head back, prying one eye open as he realized what I was doing.

 

"Heero…" he started.

 

"Hold still," I snapped, shoving back at his head.

 

I couldn't tell for certain still, but I had a sneaking suspicion that he might have taken drugs.

 

"You irritate me, and I forget my promises," he informed me, digging his nails into my hips.

 

I hit him in the stomach, breaking his grip and glaring at him, "Knock your shit off."

 

He smirked at me, straightening from the wall and studying my eyes before wavering slightly where he stood and losing the grin.

 

"Are you okay?" I demanded again, moving forward in case I had to catch him.

 

"I'm tired," he snapped, breaking away from me and turning to his door, starting to fiddle with his keys.

 

I made a noise that almost seemed to be a whimper as I waited, then leaned forward and snatched the keys from him, unlocking the door.

 

He laughed slightly, "Thanks."

 

I followed him into the apartment and watched him walk across the room and disappear into his bedroom. I set the keys down on the kitchen counter-top and wondered when the last time one of us had been in his apartments had been. I took a moment to take stock of his fridge as water ran in the bathroom, then wrote out a list of food-stuffs I knew he'd loved before.

 

"Heero?"

 

"Yeah?" I asked, reading the paper over a last time before setting the pencil down and moving into the bedroom.

 

Duo was lying on his side on the bed, blinking at me, "Can you make sure I get up in the morning?"

 

"Just set an alarm," I suggested carefully.

 

"I doubt it'll get me up."

 

I nodded, conceding, "Fine."

 

"Oh, Ro?" he asked, so I paused in the door, "Be careful. Be sure you wake me up, not Relena or something."

 

"Why?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

"Because I react when I'm startled."

 

I studied him a moment longer, then nodded, starting for the door.

 

"Hey, Heero?" he called again.

 

"Yes?" I asked, vaguely annoyed now.

 

"Sleep well," he muttered, smirking slightly at me.

 

I gave him a look, "Thanks, I'll do that."

 

He laughed again, "Turn out the light."

 

I snorted at the guy, flicking the light off and moving into the living room. He laughed quietly to himself the entire time. I locked the door behind myself and sighed as I moved into the hall-and then I went to talk to Quatre.

 

-

 

I massaged my aching temple as I walked quietly through the building. Heero had informed us all that Duo was sick for the day and not to disturb him, and I was wondering what the guy had. I wasn't feeling well myself, and I hadn't gone out drinking. It seemed to be the flu.

 

I could hear Duo's quiet voice as I moved up the hall toward my apartment. I wanted to take some painkillers before I went to check on him, but his front door was open a crack.

 

I moved silently across the hall, my curiosity overcoming my pain.

 

"The touch," Duo purred as I moved into his living room, "The feel…you know you want it."

 

There was a slightly strangled noise and I wondered what the hell Quatre was doing in here…before realizing what Duo was saying.

 

"Think about it a moment…skin on skin…"

 

I moved into the hall, not able to see anything.

 

"Duo…just stop," Quatre muttered, and I heard quick movement that ended in a double thump.

 

"The sweet taste of a kiss…"

 

"Duo!" Quatre snapped, which was accompanied by another thud.

 

"Imagine the sensations," Duo added.

 

Quatre groaned slightly.

 

I turned the corner, focusing on Quatre, who was pinned to the wall under Duo just beyond the door. Quatre spotted me instantly, but Duo hadn't heard me or something. Duo seemed to actually be leaning against Quatre and had his arms firmly pinned to the wall at the elbows. His mouth was hovering over Quatre's skin, and Quatre had thoroughly succumbed to Duo's bullshit.

 

"What are you doing?" I snapped at him.

 

He didn't even jump, turning his head languidly to grin at me.

 

"He thinks he's funny or something," Quatre muttered, sounding like one who has just regained control of their voice. He was shoving at Duo's hands, but Duo wasn't letting go and didn't even seem to be aware that Quatre was fighting him.

 

"What are you doing?" Duo returned when he realized I'd asked, "I thought you were at work?"

 

"I feel like shit," I snapped, "Let him go." I indicated Quatre.

 

"Hm," Duo considered him a moment, then stepped back.

 

Quatre instantly darted from the other's grasp and to my side, he glanced back at Duo, then darted out of the room.

 

Duo laughed, his eyes flashing evilly in the partial light of his bedroom.

 

I studied him, narrowing my eyes, "You really are not funny," I muttered.

 

He scratched his cheek slightly, studying me as he walked slowly to stand in front of me, "Where's your fiancé?" he asked, pulling my left hand up between us, walking me backwards until I hit his dresser.

 

"He's working," I replied, then, "Hey!"

 

The asshole had taken off my engagement ring.

 

"Duo," I started, reaching for it. I wasn't sure how far I was going to trust him right now.

 

"I like that better," he muttered, running his thumb along my ring finger.

 

"Give that back," I snapped, reaching for his hand again. He avoided my grasp, giving me a look.

 

"Seriously, Sir Knight," I snapped.

 

"Make me," he purred in my ear, then rested his head against my shoulder and sighed.

 

I shoved at him, wondering again at how heavy he seemed. He stumbled a step before regaining his balance and turning back to the bed. I gave chase, seriously annoyed, "Give me back my fucking ring!"

 

He laughed an evil laugh when I jumped onto his back, knocking him forward onto the thing.

 

I was not feeling good, I was annoyed at him for fucking with Quatre, I was aggravated with Trowa for sending me back to my apartment, and now Duo had taken my engagement ring. If chance decided to play a wild card on me and have Miguel come looking for me, he would flip out.

 

When Duo pinned me to the bed, though, I realized that I wasn't feeling good, and not only was I in Duo's bedroom, I was on his bed.

 

I gritted my teeth on a shout of frustration and rage, shoving him off of me, "You piss me off!" I snapped, grabbing my ring as he laughed…and pulled off the ring he'd given to me. "Here," I snarled at him, offering it out so he could see what it was.

 

He stopped laughing, blinking at me and shaking his head, "I gave that to you…"

 

"If you can't act normal, I don't want it," I spat back, feeling a bit dizzy as he frowned at me.

 

"Wufei," he protested, moving to fold my hand back around it, "Really…"

 

"Yeah," I agreed, "Really," I let it go.

 

Something verging on panic flashed through his eyes, but I didn't stay for the outcome. I climbed off his bed, sliding the engagement ring back onto my finger…and left.

 

-

 

"Where's your ring?" Miguel asked Wufei curiously, studying his hand.

 

I stared at Wufei's hand as well, not believing that the sapphire wasn't on it. I hadn't seen the thing off his hand more than a handful of times since Duo had given it to him.

 

"Huh?" Wufei asked, focusing on his hand and shrugging uncomfortably.

 

"Did you lose it?" Miguel pressed, all concern. It was very obvious that Wufei was sick…and that Miguel was trying to make their fight better…and that Miguel knew Wufei cared about that ring.

 

I was still staring at Wufei's hand, though.

 

"Hey, guys," Duo muttered, moving quietly into the room.

 

Wufei shut his eyes, looking like he would rather be anywhere else.

 

"What's up?" I asked, moving for him. He didn't look well.

 

Duo shook his head, raising his left hand to rub his face…and I saw his ring. Wufei's ring…the ring he'd given Wufei…on his finger…

 

I had a feeling all hell was about to break loose…and with Duo claiming to be the devil, it was not a thrilling prospect.

 

"Why does Duo have your ring?" Miguel asked Wufei blankly.

 

Wufei grunted.

 

Miguel frowned, looking around at Relena, Wufei, and I…and then met Duo's eyes. Duo was smirking very slightly and the ring was held even with his eyes so there was no way Miguel would miss it. Had it not been for his eyes, it would have just looked like he had a fingertip at his temple.

 

"I'm just not in a good mood," Duo muttered, turning to face me, losing the asshole front, "I just had a really bad day."

 

"Yeah, cry me a river," Wufei snapped, dragging himself up from my couch and storming from the room.

 

Miguel frowned at the guy, then met my eyes.

 

Duo ignored all of that, moving across the room to lean against my side and rest his head on my shoulder.

 

Miguel focused on Duo again, studying him a moment-then went after Wufei.

 

"You poor dear," Relena muttered, moving around me to caress Duo's face with one hand, wrapping her other around my waist.

 

Duo accepted that, closing his eyes-it was odd for me, but neither of them seemed to give a shit.

 

"Why do you have Wufei's ring?" I asked quietly, not sure if I really wanted to know.

 

"I just…had a really bad day." Duo turned his face from my wife and buried it in my shoulder, resting his hands on my waist. I shoved his hands off, but didn't force him away. Some of this was genuine, a lot of it was farce, but if he were wearing Wufei's ring, then he probably was not happy about how it got back into his possession. If the look he gave Miguel meant anything, Wufei probably should have dealt with the entire situation in a better way.

 

"Are you going to be okay?" Relena asked.

 

"I'll be fine," he returned, pushing away from me slowly and giving me a small smile before meeting her eyes and shaking his head, "I'm going to go sleep."

 

"Duo?" she asked, moving forward and grabbing his wrist.

 

"Yeah?" he asked, meeting her eyes again.

 

"You can talk to me," she muttered, clasping his hand, "All right?"

 

He nodded again, but I knew he would never take her up on that offer. He was too removed from his real emotions. He could react to things on a surface level, but I had the sinking sensation that everything was only skin deep. Until we truly got him to deal with his grief over Kayla, he would never truly be real.

 

Relena moved back to me and took my fallen brother's place in my arms, watching the door shut before meeting my eyes again, "How much of that did he mean?"

 

"Enough to make me worry," I muttered, running a hand through her hair, "But it's not him we'll really need to worry about."

 

"I think I should take him up on his offer for all of us to head to Athens," she informed me, "We all need a week in a warmer climate."

 

"A week and a half," I countered, "A week is too short and two weeks is too long."

 

She smiled at me and kissed me, then glanced to the door again.

 

"Come on," I muttered, "There's nothing we can do about them until we get a clear picture of what's going on."

 

She nodded, following me to the room.

 

-

 

"Wufei, why does Duo have your ring?"

 

I turned to look at Miguel, finally getting disgusted with it and giving up. I wanted to sleep, and though I knew that telling him would just make him explode, at least he'd stop asking me that fucking question.

 

"He gave it to me!" I snapped back, "Like…two weeks before I met you, he gave me that ring."

 

Miguel froze.

 

I stared at him and shook my head, "More correctly, I took it from him when he and Heero went to get his crap for him to move in with Heero. It mattered to him, he cared about it, he wanted to keep it. I took it so he'd come back and he never asked me to have it back."

 

"Why didn't you give it back?" he asked almost breathlessly.

 

"Because he gave it to me," I replied, turning my back to him and curling into my blankets, "He told me he wanted me to have it and would never take it back."

 

"Why did it take you this long to give it back?"

 

"Because he pissed me off today," I replied, closing my eyes tightly.

 

"Were you…going to give it back?"

 

"No."

 

The silence stretched out and I found that I didn't care that Miguel's silence was more hurt than anything, that he was upset…he could deal with this. He would deal with this…

 

Because I was tired of playing.

 

-

 

"Fuck you."

 

I turned my head to meet Miguel's eyes, tilting my head at him as I moved nearer, "Fuck you two times."

 

He spat at me, shoving away from the wall.

 

I laughed, shoving him back against it and pinning him there, "Fuck you three times."

 

He glared up at me, shaking his head.

 

"Are you perchance…miffed about this?" I purred at him, raising my left hand into view so he could see my sapphire ring, "Are you unhappy about the origins? I don't understand how you didn't know it was mine."

 

"He never told me," Miguel snapped, still glaring at me.

 

I smiled sweetly, "I wonder why that could be…" I pretended to consider it as I moved away from him, then laughed twice as hard when he jumped on me and bore me to the ground, catching his wrists before he could hit me. "You want to fight me?" I asked him, grinning still broader, "You want to hurt me?"

 

He snarled at me as I pinned him to the floor, then shoved me hard enough to actually dislodge me, pinning me to the floor, "I hate you," he whispered harshly as we heard someone pounding up the stairs.

 

"I hate you two times," I mocked his vague accent, grinning slightly, then timed my shoving him off and pinning him to when Trowa broke up the stairs. He stared at me as Miguel shoved at me and I allowed myself to be born backwards slightly.

 

"Miguel!" Trowa's shout was enough to bring Heero out of his room.

 

"Hey!" Heero shouted, running up behind us

 

I jumped away from Miguel and he jumped at me. I didn't smile, but I could see in his eyes that he didn't realize what I was doing when I simply held him off until Trowa started moving at me, then I shoved him hard so he fell on his ass again. I was making it look like I was the victim here…I was, he started it, but I could have kicked his pansy ass. I refrained from telling him as much as I walked backwards from him a few steps and Heero came up behind me, grabbing my shoulders.

 

Trowa moved forward and pulled Miguel to his feet, starting to demand things of him in Spanish.

 

I smirked at Miguel, then turned to Heero with as innocent expression as I dared assume, pretending to be startled.

 

"What the hell was that?"

 

"He started it!" I protested, "He wanted to fight!"

 

Trowa's efforts redoubled as I headed back to my room, explaining plainly how I'd just come out of my room and he'd told me to fuck off…I even admitted to shoving him against the wall before he jumped at me.

 

I didn't even look at Wufei as he burst out of his apartment, looking between us all. His hair was sopping wet as he dried it with a towel and it didn't look like he was wearing much more than jeans. I did pause in my apartment door so he could see that it had been me and that Heero wasn't lecturing me-mostly so he could see that Heero wasn't lecturing me.

 

Miguel had just fucked himself over.