Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 2 Reign ❯ Something Lost ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-One: Something Lost
 
I climbed out of Duo's arms and he jumped, causing me to realize he'd been sleeping. He sat up quickly, “What's wrong?”
 
“Nothing,” I replied, though it was mainly a lie. I needed to get away from Duo for a while. In the end, Miguel's leaving was his fault. This wasn't to say I had no blame, because obviously I did. Miguel himself did, but it wouldn't have come around so quickly if Duo hadn't come back.
 
He frowned at me, starting to shake his head.
 
“Nothing is wrong,” I reassured him, touching his cheek a moment, “I just want some time alone. Is that okay? Can I go back to my own apartment without you freaking on me?”
 
He smiled slightly at that, then nodded.
 
I moved from the room quickly, wondering how I could be angry with him and not even let him know. Of course, if I shouted at him, he'd probably leave me too.
 
I shut my apartment door firmly behind myself, flipping the lock and looking it over. I'd already checked what Miguel had taken just after he'd left. I was relieved to know that he hadn't taken anything of mine or left anything he might want back.
 
Didn't make the apartment any less empty.
 
I moved silently toward the bedroom, half-heartedly fighting the tears of frustration and anger. I didn't want to brood over the day's events, but I was finding it hard not to.
 
I'd started the shower before realizing it, and took my time gathering my clothing, deciding that I needed to get drunk. I knew well enough that alcohol wasn't going to solve my problems, but one night of oblivion wouldn't hurt anything. Jun could kiss my ass if he tried anything tonight, because I was in the mood to hurt someone…and it had been much too long since I'd gone into a bar.
 
-
 
“Duo, you guys in here?” I called, moving quietly through Duo's apartment and into his bedroom. It was going on three in the morning and I'd just gone to check on Wufei. He wasn't in his room, though, and something like common sense told me he'd probably be with Duo.
 
Duo was blinking at me tiredly from the middle of his bed…alone, “What?”
 
“Where's…Wufei?” I asked, looking the room over and flipping on the lights.
 
“Christ, Heero!” he muttered, moving instantly to cover his eyes, “Warn me next time!”
 
“Sorry,” I muttered insincerely, moving into the hall and throwing open the bedroom doors—each room was empty.
 
“What's the…what do you mean?” he asked after a second, “Wufei went back to his room.”
 
I turned to stare at him in disbelief, my stomach wrenching.
 
He stared at me a long moment, his own eyes going wide, “You haven't been to his room, right, Heero?”
 
“I was just there,” I breathed at him, trying to make my mind catch up.
 
Duo disappeared into his living room and a long silence followed.
 
Fuck!” the words echoed through the halls and I ran to meet Duo as he came into his apartment, “He said he wanted to be alone,” he informed me, “And stupidly, I let him…and…fuck!” he continued rambling about things I couldn't quite understand, disappearing back into his bedroom.
 
I stopped in his door, watching him tucking knives into pockets. He'd thrown his cargo pants back on and…had strapped a handgun to his side.
 
“I swear to you Jun will die a slow death if he even thinks about…”
 
“What are you doing?” I asked instantly.
 
“Where do you think Wufei went, Heero? On a walk around the grounds? That's something I would do, not Fei.”
 
I stared at him in disbelief, starting to shake my head, “He wouldn't have left the grounds without protection…he…he knows that Jun has people watching for him.”
 
“It's three in the morning, Heero,” Duo snapped, double-checking his watch before dropping onto his bed and starting to pull on his steel-toed boots, “I swear I'll kick his ass…”
 
“Duo, that's not helpful.”
 
“What's going on?” Trowa demanded, coming into the room and blinking at Duo, before, “Where's Wufei?”
 
“He left,” Duo spat.
 
“When? Why did you let him?” Trowa was irritated.
 
“I didn't let him!” Duo nearly shouted.
 
I moved between he and Trowa, giving Tro a look. This was not the time to argue with Duo.
 
“I'll be back,” Duo snapped at us, then disappeared into the hall behind Trowa.
 
“Don't kill anybody!” I shouted after him, moving around Trowa to give chase, “You have to promise me not to kill anyone!”
 
Duo flashed me a grin and shut the door.
 
“That really worked,” Trowa noted, raising an eyebrow at me.
 
I glared at him, “What the fuck are you doing? Start checking the grounds!”
 
Trowa saluted instantly, turning and starting for the door, grabbing Duo's phone at the same time.
 
“Where is Duo going?” Quatre asked, blinking at us as he moved into the room, glancing over his shoulder, “Where's Fei?”
 
-
 
It was five-after-three by the time I made it to the parking garage of the bar section of the city, and it had only taken me so long because I'd taken the long way to see if I was being followed.
 
Of course I was, so I'd lost the Swathe bastards before coming up to park, and now it was just taking the air-bridge across the street to the next parking garage and on down to the club district. I wasn't going to go onto the street at all, and I had no intentions of allowing myself to be spotted in an area with no witnesses.
 
I sat back in my seat, rubbing my eyes a moment before climbing out of my car and tucking my pistol into the hidden holster in the back of my jeans. The spot on my finger where I had worn two rings for at least two years was very pale now, lack of sun and all. People would know I either just got out of a relationship or was cheating, but I didn't care. Tonight wasn't for anyone but myself, and that was a luxury I hadn't afforded myself in an age.
 
I moved slowly from my car, tucking the keys into my pocket as well, looking around nervously. There was something about getting pounced on by six guys that leaves something to be desired. Especially when all it took was one to catch you just right and cram a rag under your nose.
 
For all my irritation with my friends and anger at my general situation, I was beginning to realize that, number one: going to the bars alone at all was stupid, and two: parking two garages away was even stupider. I loosened the gun in the holster, running my fingers over the magazine. Scant comfort there…
 
I was almost reluctant to leave the area of where my car was parked, but at the same time, I was a big boy. I'd taken care of myself before and I knew I could do it again. For all that I wanted my friends to protect me, they were never around when I really needed them…and I wasn't dead yet.
 
Paranoia, however, had snuck into my system over the years, even more so than a trained soldier needed, and every car that drove under me was Swathe lackeys coming to get me…every car in the second parking garage had people watching me…
 
I leaned against the wall in the second air-bridge, taking deep breaths as I watched for anyone who might be moving around the cars…
 
“Mr. Chang, we've been waiting for you.”
 
My head snapped around to a group of…six…guys, moving from the club building into the air-bridge near me.
 
I stood straight, glaring at them.
 
“I was beginning to wonder if Mr. Martin may have been wrong about your choice of destination.”
 
“What do you want?” I returned, reaching for my gun.
 
“Mr. Martin would like a word with you…without the Cheshire Cat or the Assassin on hand.”
 
“Jun can shove it up his ass,” I returned, backing through those doors and starting quickly for the second air-bridge.
 
“Please, Mr. Chang,” the guy called as his friends sniggered to each other, “Don't make this difficult.”
 
I moved into the second air-bridge, picking up speed. I could possibly get to my car, and then they wouldn't be able to catch me…
 
Glass shattered on my right and I rolled away from the hole, turning back to the group of them as the night noise and wind blew in. My gun was steady in my hands as I watched them all and the guy who broke the glass laughed almost evilly.
 
“That was uncalled for,” the leader reprimanded the man, shaking a finger at him, “Really, you could have hurt someone.”
 
“Sorry,” the guy returned, focusing on me again.
 
I moved my hand, focusing on it…and blood, noticing that the floor was covered in broken glass. I must have cut myself when I rolled.
 
“Now, Mr. Chang, we really do apologize for the scare, some of our younger members aren't very easy to predict. Mr. Martin has found the usefulness of those considered insane, but dealing with them…”
 
I cocked my gun, aiming at his head, “I could remedy this problem for you all.”
 
“You wouldn't kill me,” the guy muttered, looking amused…
 
But I would.
 
-
 
I turned into the parking garage near the clubs, flashing my badge at the man manning the station, pausing long enough for him to realize that I wasn't here for fun. The barrier bar was quickly moved from my path and I slammed on the gas, searching the entire lower level of the garage before moving up. Nick had informed us that Mr. Chang had left at about three.
 
Wufei had left my room at about two forty-five, and fifteen minutes later had left as Heero came looking for him. According to good ol' Nicolas, Wufei had turned left instead of going straight, which said to me that he either wasn't going to the clubs, or that he was watching his tracks.
 
I'd figure out where else he may have gone after checking where I thought he was.
 
The first parking-garage returned nothing on any of the floors, so I broke a few one-way street laws and hit the second garage. Again I flashed my badge before being allowed up.
 
Wufei's car was on the third story.
 
I parked next to it, studying it closely. There was nothing wrong with it, and no signs of any foul play, so I started for the air-bridge.
 
I shoved the doors open and blinked at a window—the air-bridges were walled with glass completely. Two panels in from where I stood, a panel was shattered. There was glass across the floor and…
 
My heartbeat and breathing quickened.
 
There was a bloody smear across the window opposite…blood…on the window…images chased themselves through my memory…Kayla, our apartment…Donovan…Ace. I felt light-headed a moment as I leaned against the second window, trying not to think about any of that. Trying not to…to…remember.
 
I spotted another window down the way that had a single hole in it. That window had not been shattered…but there was blood on the floor…
 
I moved to that, realizing that this was fresh—the blood was almost still warm, it was so fresh…
 
I moved into the second parking garage, spotting no moving or suspicious cars and glancing at my watch.
 
Three fifteen.
 
I bit my lip, starting back into the air-bridge and trying not to look at the blood. A car below, however, caught my attention and…light shown through the smear.
 
I choked a second, not sure if I were gagging or if it were something else entirely, then a cold blast of air hit me and I realized that I was nearly falling out the open window.
 
I swallowed, calling the local police on my cell phone, reporting to them what I'd found. I made sure they knew who I was and that I had business elsewhere. I would leave the investigation to them…and then I darted for the club.
 
I needed to find Wufei before I went insane.
 
-
 
I frowned at the smeared blood on the window and looked around to Duo, he was standing in the hole as police officers moved around us. He'd called Heero and reported that he had a very bad feeling, explaining that he'd found Wufei's car, but not Wufei.
 
Heero had wanted to go himself, but having the king at a crime-scene might merit a little too much news coverage, so he'd sent me instead. Actually, he'd sent Quatre and I, but Quatre was in the club talking to the bartenders.
 
“Move away from there before you fall,” I muttered, pulling at Duo's arm as he leaned too far forward.
 
“Maybe I should fall,” he replied tonelessly, “Maybe it would kill me.”
 
“And what good would that do?” I snapped, pulling him hard away from the hole.
 
He shook his head quickly, avoiding looking at the blood.
 
“Excuse me,” an officer murmured, placing a large piece of plywood against the hole. She took a moment to nail it to the support beams on either side, then turned to look at Duo and I, “And you are sure you have no idea what happened here, Sir Maxwell?”
 
He nodded, “It was like this when I got here,” he muttered, his tone still dead, “I…it was three-fifteen.”
 
“Are you all right?” she asked in concern, then appealed to me, “Is he okay?”
 
“He'll be fine,” I muttered reassuringly, pushing at him so he started for the doors, “He's had a bad couple of days,”
 
“Years,” he countered.
 
“Just go,” I muttered, shoving him again, “Wait in my car, and I swear I'll hurt you if you take off on me.”
 
He started away wordlessly.
 
“Do you need us for anything else?” I added as Quatre broke into the air-bridge and flashed his badge at the protesting officer.
 
“We can get the rest of it, surveillance tapes will tell us what happened,” she pointed at a camera that was barely visible, “I honestly don't know why this wasn't called in by the guard.”
 
I nodded, then realized that Duo had turned to us.
 
“Go,” I muttered as Quatre stopped behind me. Evidently he knew well enough that Duo was in no mood for bad news, and the fact that Wufei wasn't with him said that was all he had.
 
“Nothing,” he muttered, rubbing his nose with his right hand as he spoke, “He hasn't been into the clubs at all.”
 
“His car is out there!” I snapped, pointing toward the garage we were all in, “He has to be there…he doesn't know anyone who could pick him up.”
 
Quatre looked around the air-bridge, “Maybe he does.”
 
“What?” I asked, my own fears starting to surface again.
 
“That hole,” he indicated a window that hadn't been shattered, “His gun could have done that…and you know he could have caused that,” Quatre was speaking rapidly and quietly as he also indicated the blood on the floor. “What if this was the furthest he got?”
 
I glanced to the broken window.
 
“No, I don't think he'd have risked a three story drop…and if he fell, someone would have called emergency services.”
 
“And they would have contacted us,” I breathed, meeting Quatre's eyes again, “So where is he?”
 
Quatre looked away from my eyes.
 
“Try his cell again,” I snapped, darting for the door as the idea of surveillance tapes came to me again, darting for the doors.
 
“Where is Duo?” Quatre asked suddenly as we neared the stairs, we were both heading toward the guard-stand. Q had stopped and was looking at our cars.
 
“Fuck!” I snarled, barreling down the stairs. I knew that Duo had the ability to hot-wire a car, but didn't know if he would.
 
“We really have to thank God for all of this,” Quatre muttered as we both spotted Duo's head in the guard's booth, “First we're pulled into a war…then we manage to get chicks pregnant…before we're legal, even…the chicks ditch us with kids and put us in hardship…before finally we lose someone we love over gang wars…and then we lose someone else we love entirely.”
 
“You know,” I snapped at him, “Duo is depressed enough without you adding your two cents in.”
 
“Well fuck.”
 
“What are you,” I started as we slammed the guards-hut open…and froze as I saw what was playing on a screen.
 
There was no sound, but it was clearly Wufei—a burst of light showed from his gun and another man with a gun fell to the floor, presumably dead. A group of men ran up the hall and another fell, writhing on the ground as the biggest of the group jumped at Wufei. There was another burst of light, but nothing seemed to happen with it…another man was dropped to the ground…and then Wufei fell away from the guys, stumbling against the glass and leaving the trail of smeared blood on the window…before he slumped to the ground.
 
The largest guy was standing over him and we could see his shoulders rising and falling with deep breaths…
 
The guard's sandwich fell from his fingers.
 
“Holy shit,” Quatre nearly squeaked.
 
The large man shouted something, which was shown by his open mouth, and he was pointing at the downed men. The two men who had remained standing darted forward and picked up their fallen comrades as the third person limped along the wall with blood trailing down his jeans. The big guy leaned over…and scooped Wufei up, tossing him over his shoulder and starting away…
 
Duo turned away, starting for the stairs.
 
“Shouldn't we follow him?” Quatre whispered at me.
 
I blinked at Duo's back, then looked back to the guard, “Bring up the second garage.”
 
“I don't have that feed,” the guy's eyes were huge.
 
“Then get it!” I shouted.
 
“Trowa,” Quatre muttered, touching my arm and pointing at the man, “Where is it?”
 
“At the other station,” the man replied, “Each garage has its own film.”
 
“So…”
 
“Fast forward this,” I snapped.
 
“But…Duo…”
 
“He can't do anything without our help,” I snapped at Quatre in irritation.
 
“Um…there's…Sir Maxwell,” the guard muttered suddenly.
 
We both focused on the screen as the guy rewound it a little, then played it normal. Duo broke onto the air-bridge and stopped, focusing on the broken window—and then saw the blood. I blinked in confusion as he stumbled back from it, staring at the mark. He changed focused after a moment and moved slowly to the blood on the floor, touching it. After a second he disappeared, but reappeared yet again, moving toward the blood on the window…then paused a moment, stumbling backwards and looking like he'd puke before he nearly fell out the window. He pulled out his cell phone after a minute and talked for several before disappearing again through the second door.
 
“Fast forward again,” I instructed, watching as nothing happened for an unmarked amount of time before the police arrived—and Duo again, on his cell phone. The cops started to stop him, but he flashed his badge at them, pausing a moment before nodding.
 
“That must be when he called us,” I noted to Quatre.
 
“Must be…speaking of, we should go to him. I don't think he's very stable right now.”
 
“Make a copy of this and send it to the king,” I snapped at the guard, “Do it fast. Everything you just showed us…and whatever you showed Maxwell before that.”
 
“Yes, Sir,” the guard muttered, bouncing out of his seat and moving to the machinery.
 
“On second thought, Quatre, you get this from him and take it to Heero.”
 
“Right,” Quatre muttered, grabbing my arm before I left, “Don't let him hurt anyone.”
 
“I know,” I reassured him.
 
-
 
I stared in horror as the conclusion played—as Wufei slumped against the window…
 
“Tranq,” Hilde muttered, pointing at a miniscule dot at Wufei's throat, “The big guy shot him up with tranquilizer.”
 
I took a shaking breath, trying to re-gather my thoughts.
 
“And here's part two,” Duo muttered, causing us all to jump and turn to him and Trowa.
 
Trowa's eyes were huge.
 
Duo tossed a disc onto the table in front of me, starting to pace, “That wasn't the first little fight,” he added, then pointed at the second disc, “Play it!”
 
I jumped forward, ejecting the other disc and putting the new one in.
 
“This one has sound,” he added with that same dark enthusiasm he'd used to announce `part two', “We have Jun legally…if he lives.”
 
“What's your issue?” Quatre demanded of Trowa.
 
“We were asking around about those guys,” Trowa muttered, “Asking around consists of…”
 
“I did what I had to do,” Duo cut him off sharply, “They all know that Jun and I are enemies.”
 
“Tro?” I asked, blinking.
 
He shook his head, glancing at Duo again.
 
So it must have been overly violent.
 
“Mr. Chang,” we all focused on the screen as the voice came to us sounding shaded, “We've been waiting for you…”
 
“They turned left,” Duo added after we'd all watched the exchange in amazement, “They put him in an SUV and turned left.”
 
“That's a one way street,” Quatre started.
 
“That you can only turn right on, I'm glad to know that the fact it's illegal to turn left will stop them from doing so.”
 
“Do not rip our heads off because of what Wufei has done!” Relena snapped at him.
 
Duo drew himself up.
 
“When we get down to it, we all left him with you,” Relena added, her voice higher yet, “We can't even trust you to keep him safe when he clings to you!”
 
“This was not my fault!” Duo shouted back, “He told me he wanted some alone time in his room!”
 
“You should have kept him with you! Fuck, Duo, if you were any more unreliable…”
 
“Enough!” I roared over both of them as Duo started to say something, I glared at my wife and friend a moment before pointing at Duo, “Just stop, we're all tired.”
 
“If she…” Duo started.
 
“Shut your fucking mouth!”
 
Duo looked shocked by this, falling silent.
 
I turned to Relena, “And you better knock your shit off as well, this was no one's fault. Wufei chose to leave us all without telling us, but even that isn't his fault.”
 
“Miguel,” Trowa noted.
 
I nodded, looking back to him, “Today has been so stressful that no one came out of it unscathed. We can play the blame game when Wufei is here to argue with us…” I looked them over, then came to a decision I wasn't so sure I wanted to make, “Wake the soldiers. I wanted to take Newport back first, but we need Deniel.”
 
They all stared at me.
 
Move, people!”
 
-
 
E/N: aiya! Sorry, I got busy! I'll try to do better next time!