Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 2 Reign ❯ Final Fallen ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Twenty-Nine: Final Fallen
 
“You fucked with the wrong people one too many times, Jun,” Heero muttered, turning the man with his foot to glower down at him.
 
Jun blinked up at Heero, almost looking uncomprehending.
 
At the tap on my shoulder, I turned to meet Trowa's eyes, “What happened?” he whispered.
 
“Wufei did that,” I replied, pointing to the man. It was very obvious that he'd need some time in the hospital.
 
“Good. I've ordered the rest of the troops to move on.”
 
“Good,” I agreed, studying Jun.
 
“Get someone up here to take care of this mess,” Heero added to us, gesturing at the guy in disgust, turning away from him to Wufei. “Are you all right?”
 
Wufei didn't respond, pressing himself more against Duo. Duo shook his head slightly at Heero, studying his eyes.
 
“Ramon!” Trowa snapped.
 
“Sir?” Ramon muttered, coming into the room—and staring at Jun. It took him a moment to spot Wufei. Ramon looked between Trowa and I a moment in amazement before turning and moving to the stairs, “Bring a stretcher—and a medic.”
 
“What do you think he thinks?” I asked.
 
“He knew Wufei was gone, but he couldn't figure out why. He knew Wufei had something to do with our moving early, but he couldn't figure out why…I think he may have just figured out why.”
 
“You had to do that, didn't you?” I asked sardonically.
 
“Yeah,” he agreed, flashing a grin at me.
 
I rolled my eyes.
 
“Wufei?”
 
Duo's tone was…gentle, surprisingly gentle. It caught all of our attention and we focused on him as he pulled the sapphire ring off his finger. Wufei looked taken aback a moment before meeting Duo's eyes and smiling very slightly.
 
“You want this back?” Duo asked, grinning a bit.
 
“I suppose,” Wufei replied. He'd used an uncaring enough tone for all that he snatched the thing instantly from Duo's hand.
 
There was symbolism in the fact that he put it on his own finger, not Duo.
 
Ramon moved between Trowa and I with two other men and they set a stretcher down beside Jun.
 
“Can somebody get me a clean outfit?” Wufei demanded suddenly, straightening completely and looking us all over, “And let's go get pizza.”
 
We all blinked at him.
 
He focused on Jun, an expression of revulsion crossing his face as the soldiers carried the guy wordlessly from the room.
 
“He's under arrest,” Trowa called after them as they started down the stairs, “Don't let him convince you otherwise if he becomes coherent.”
 
Ramon flashed us a slightly guilty grin.
 
“I'm serious!” Wufei protested, stepping forward, “I want to gorge myself on pizza, then drown myself in a shower.”
 
“We sorta have a mess to sweep up here,” Heero muttered, gesturing to the window.
 
“And a building to level,” Wufei agreed, looking out the doors.
 
“Oh, you noticed that!” Trowa grinned, “I find great symbolism in the headquarters of every syndicate being razed to the foundation stones…and they just like to blow things up.”
 
I laughed as he gestured toward Duo, Heero, and I.
 
“Where's…Jacob?” Wufei asked suddenly, looking out the door.
 
“See that helicopter?” I asked, moving to the window, “He's in that—he's had training with sniper rifles before, so we thought we'd let him do what he knows.”
 
“You guys were really cutting it close there,” Wufei informed us suddenly, starting for the door and waiting just outside it, “And for all that you,” he snapped that at Duo, “Said you'd have me out before he got any ideas…”
 
“Hey,” Duo protested, “I can't read the guy's mind.”
 
Wufei grinned slightly at him.
 
Duo lead Heero across the room and Trowa followed Heero into the hall.
 
“This room is gaudy,” I noted suddenly, realizing that the bed looked to be covered in gold.
 
“You're telling me,” Wufei agreed, pulling me from the room with one hand on the doorknob. He looked around it a moment before he moved back into it.
 
“Um…Fei?” Heero asked.
 
“Just a second,” Wufei replied from out of sight. A moment later he appeared again, holding a cup. He showed it to us, “This was my only friend here—I don't want it to go down with the ship.”
 
Duo laughed, draping an arm over Wufei's shoulders.
 
“The building is clear, Sir!”
 
“Even you're here?” Wufei snapped at Stephan, “Didn't you break a nail?”
 
Stephan grinned at Wufei, “It's good to see you again, too, Sir.”
 
Wufei grinned back.
 
“We found someone who surrendered, though,” Ramon muttered, coming back into view with Ace.
 
“Let him go,” Wufei snapped in mild irritation.
 
Ramon didn't even question that as Keith stood there and looked us all over, “Um…hi.”
 
“Hi, Keith,” Wufei muttered, draping an arm over his shoulders and forcing him to move along with he and Duo.
 
“Make sure the building is evacuated,” Heero ordered Ramon, “Then level it.”
 
“Of course, Majesty,” Ramon muttered with a grin, “As we speak our men are leaving the building. We'll wait for your order.”
 
“Chang's order,” Heero decided as we moved toward the stairs.
 
“Um…can't we take an elevator?” Wufei asked, “I really don't feel good.”
 
“Stairs are good for you,” Heero countered.
 
“What part of my not feeling good did you miss?”
 
“Oh, fine.”
 
-
 
Duo's jacket fit surprisingly well…loose in all the right places…
 
I kept my arms crossed over my chest, looking the sixteen-story building over. We were waiting for the soldiers to finish laying out the charges…
 
I had my finger on the ring again.
 
I studied the sapphire, detesting that it felt loose. I couldn't wait to get home and be smothered to death by a few ladies and a little girl or two.
 
I leaned against Duo.
 
“Evacuation complete!” Ramon shouted over the crowd to me.
 
I stood straighter, looking my brethren over and waiting for Ramon to be cleared as well, gesturing to our demolition crew…
 
But I didn't wait to see the end result.
 
I turned on my heel, smiling to myself as I saw nondescript black convertible parked behind a swat van. As the building exploded, I laughed and walked toward the car—as chunks of brick hit the ground, I slid into the driver's seat, setting my cup down and admiring how well it looked in the cup-holder…
 
As the dust cleared, I met Heero's eyes.
 
“I thought you'd appreciate it,” Heero muttered, offering me the keys.
 
“Get in, Gentlemen,” I muttered, looking the five of them over, “I really want to get home.”
 
“What about me?” Jacob muttered.
 
“What about Selena?” Duo added.
 
I looked between the two killjoys, then met Heero's eyes and shrugged, “If you're coming with me, get in.”
 
Duo stepped into the back seat, then back into the front seat.
 
“Where is Selena?” I asked, meeting his eyes.
 
“She's around somewhere,” he muttered, looking around as he said it, then pointed.
 
Selena and Keith were standing almost straight in front of us, beside one of the swat vans.
 
Heero hopped into the backseat, meeting eyes with Trowa, Quatre, and Jacob, “You guys all right with this?”
 
“I'm not ready to head home anyway,” Trowa conceded, looking to Quatre.
 
Quatre shrugged, “I'd go, but I have my own priorities.”
 
“Ooh, you're a priority now,” Duo muttered to Jacob.
 
Jacob laughed, winking at us, “Haven't I always been?”
 
Quatre smacked him.
 
“Hey, pretty-lady, wanna see a castle?” Duo called, moving to sit on the back of his chair as he focused on Selena again.
 
“Why? You got one in your pocket?” Selena returned.
 
“That's not all I have in my pocket!”
 
Selena laughed, hugging Keith a moment before running across the intervening space and hopping into the back seat with Heero, “I'm glad to see you again, Wufei.”
 
“Yeah,” I muttered, gunning the engine and smiling at Keith as he waved at me.
 
It was far past time I got home.