Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Death Becomes Him ❯ It's Never Too Late ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's note: I was slightly disturbed to write the first two chapters of this fic and then a few hours later check Kuri's site, only to find that she had written an exceedingly similar fic...you'll understand when I mean by the sencond chapter...but, this story is not meant to infringe on any other writer's work, and if it does so, I am very sorry. (Actually, this fic is very very loosely based on a Star Wars book I once read. o.O) Gundam Wing is copyright...Sotsu, I think it is, and a few other important companies and people, and I obviously don't own these characters. Not any of 'em. I think I need to go creativity-shopping...::sweatdrop::



Duo: Why am I not liking the title of this fanfic?
Shi-chan: You'll like the story even less.
Duo: It's not another lemon, is it?
Shi-chan: I don't write lemons!
Duo: THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID THE LAST TIME!
Shi-chan: That wasn't a lemon.
Duo: It was pretty damn close.
Heero: Can we start this now? I have better things to do.
Shi-chan: You got it.
Duo: Nooooooo!
Shi-chan: Anyway, this isn't a humor fic, tissue alert ahead. I hope. So shut it, Duo.
Duo: It's a...sad fic...? Awww...



Death Becomes Him
~By Shimegami-chan
Part 1


"...and he find in death the joy he found in his life, living it to the fullest." Quatre cleared his throat once more and used a hankerchief to dry the tears from his eyes. "He will be missed."

The blond Arab slowly stepped back from the coffin and yielded silence once again to the small group, broken only by the slight pitter-patter of rain coating the sleek wood. I never thought he'd be the first one of us to go.

Quatre, Trowa, and Wufei huddled close together as the confining box was lowered into the ground. Duo.

Quatre couldn't control the hot tears spilling from his eyes. Even Wufei was crying. Trowa's expressionless face did not flinch, but Quatre could see his eyes--nothing. The emerald pools were blank and staring. he couldn't take his eyes off the dark hole in the ground, the black and red roses scattered around it, the pain on Dorothy and Hilde's faces, standing on the other side of the darkness. Quatre clutched Trowa's strong arm for support.

"If Maxwell were here," Wufei mumbled under his breath, "he'd definitely make fun of us."

"If only." Quatre sighed.

"I'd take his taunting anytime over this." Wufei's downcast eyes seemed to bore holes in the muddy ground at his feet. "A thousand times over."

Relena Peacecraft made her way slowly over to the group of pilots. "Didn't Heero come?" she asked softly.

"He couldn't take it. He's still in shock." Quatre feverantly hoped that Relena wouldn't take Duo's death as a good way to get close to Heero. "He's really broken up. Duo was the onlpy person he really cared for."

Relena, to her credit, didn't seem surprised. "I know. Take care of him, okay?"

Trowa nodded solemnly at the woman, who turned and went to comfort her friends. Hilde didn't seem to be taking it too well, surprisingly enough even Dorothy was crying. Quatre was torn back to his last moments with Duo.

"Oi, Q-man...could ya get Heero for me? Onegai?"

Quatre shook his head. "Sorry, Duo, he just left. Why?"

The braided pilot coughed. "I'm not feeling so great...another headache..."

the Arabian looked concerned. "Another one? Anything I can do?"

"Nah." Duo gave his friend the patented Maxwell grin. "I'll be okay. I think maybe I'll lie down for a bit. When Heero gets back, wake me up, would ya?"

"Sure, Duo." Quatre's smile seemed to reassure Duo that he could count on him. "Call me if you need anything, okay?"

"Arigatou. You're a great friend, Quatre-kun, whatever would I do without you?"

The blond boy laughed. "About the same as we'd do without you, I suppose. Not much."

"Oi, you're the best. Thanks a lot." Duo laughed and disappeared into his room, while Quatre returned to his tea.


When Heero had returned and went to check on Duo, he wouldn't wake up. The concerned pilots brought Duo to the hospital where he was thoroughly checked over.

"I'm terribly sorry, but he's in a coma. We've managed to pinpoint the cause...there's a cancerous tumor..."

Quatre had turned white as a sheet. "Is it...is it fatal?"

The young doctor looked grim. "I'm afraid so, it's too far gone. He didn't even know about it, it spread so fast."

Heero seemed to have lost his mobility. "Hn."

"Oh, Allah." Quatre couldn't stop his limbs from shaking.

"I'm so sorry...he's already gone."

Gone.

Gone.

Quatre jolted himself to awareness when the car started moving. "Trowa?"

The unibanged pilot looked back from the driver's seat. "You spaced out again."

"Oh, Trowa." Quatre clenched the soft seat in his hands in hopes of controlling the oncoming emotion. He cast a glance back at the graveyard. The crowd had dispersed, leaving one lone person watching Duo's grave, a tall, lean boy in black spandex shorts and a green tank top, standing alone in the rain. "Heero."

The car turned down the dirt road and Quatre lost sight of the other boy, and he wondered if it had been just a mirage.


--------------------------------------



Heero stood over the fresh grave, lost in thought. Duo...I can't beleive I'll never see you again...

The Wing pilot angrily kicked a rock so hard that it disappeared into the trees surrounding the cemetary. "Why you? Why not me?!?" he howled into the mist.

Only bleakness answered him. "Saa, Duo-chan..." Heero said quietly. "If that's the way it has to be, then I'll be joining you shortly."

Heero laid a single red rose on top of the fresh ground and turned away. "Until then, my koi...."



The lithe pilot walked in the rain until he reached the cliff where he and Duo had shared much time. "Do you want me to end this, Duo? My pain, my suffering?"

Duo crossed his arms and looked sternly at Heero. "Do we have to be up this high?"

"Why not? You like heights." Heero peered over the edge to see the crashing waves and sharp rocks below.

"It just makes me a little uneasy. Even you wouldn't survive a fall like that, and you've jumped off ten-storey buildings."

"Hn." Heero shrugged. "I'll stay away from the edge, I guess."

"Good, koi." Duo held Heero's chin in his fingertips and kissed him lightly. "If you fell over that I might have to go over after you."

"And wouldn't I do the same?"

"Probably," Duo laughed. "But I wouldn't want you to. I wouldn't want either of us dead."




Heero tried to erase the long-ago conversation from his memory. "I'm sorry, Duo. It's too late for both of us now." He stood on the outcropping and stared into the crashing waves below.

The Wing pilot closed his eyes and tried to take the fatal step forward, but his feet wouldn't move. He could hear Duo's voice in the back of his memory. "It's never too late for one to start over."

And so Heero stood on the edge, staring at nothign, at everything, and trying in vain to make his right foot budge enough to take him into oblivion.







Duo: What the HELL!?!?!
Shi-chan: Shut up, you're dead remember! You'll ruin the mood!
Heero: What kind of a fanfic is this?!
Shi-chan: It's a deathfic, of cousre. Sort of.
Duo: Why am I the first to go?!
Shi-chan: Well as you can see, Heero's close behind you...
Heero: Omae o korosu...
Shi-chan: Now, now, don't kill the writer....I'm harmless, I swear...