Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Death Becomes Him ❯ Talking to Yourself.... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: I was slightly disturbed to write the first two chapters of this fic and then a few hours later check Kuri's site, only to find that she had written an exceedingly similar fic...you'll understand when I mean by the sencond chapter...but, this story is not meant to infringe on any other writer's work, and if it does so, I am very sorry. (Actually, this fic is very very loosely based on a Star Wars book I once read. o.O) Gundam Wing is copyright...Sotsu, I think it is, and a few other important companies and people, and I obviously don't own these characters. Not any of 'em. I think I need to go creativity-shopping...::sweatdrop::

---------------------------

Shi-chan: Oi oi...what a night...
Quatre: Perhaps 5 hours of chat was a little much...
Shi-chan: Yeah, you could be right...
Duo: *shrugs*
Shi-chan: Okay...let's get on with it....

---------------------------

Death Becomes Him
~By Shimegami-chan
Part 4
Preview: Duo and Quatre puzzle out the mystery behind Duo's existance--but is Duo _really_ real, or is Quatre just seeing things?


Duo slept in his usual position on the left side of the bed, glad that he would finally be able to get some sleep. He had gone downstairs to watch Heero sit by the fire, lost in thought for several long hours. Duo was nodding off on the hardwood floor by the time Heero got to his feet and walked up to the bedroom. Duo snapped back to alertness and followed the Japanese boy upstairs.

He still wasn't quite sure what was going on. He has been able to speak normally to Quatre as he would have before...it....happened, but he sat directly in front of Heero and got no reaction. Quatre had stepped in several times to check on them and saw only Heero staring blankly into the fire and Duo snoring on the floor. Duo had been incredibly releived when Heero had finally headed to bed.

Duo had quickly noticed the disappearance of the leathery wings he had so suddenly gained, and was somewhat glad. He thought they might have freaked Quatre out, not to mention the fact that with those huge things poking out of his he didn't feel like himself. When he had exited Quatre's body the wings hadn't returned at all.

Duo was learning quickly how to control what he called his "phasing technique." The same bit of concentration that had allowed him to soldily hold Heero wouldn't serve him the same way if Heero rolled over in the night and felt the invisible shape beisde him. So Duo was going without blankets, but he was on the edge of alertness to the point that he didn't fall through the bed or the floor.

Duo looked at Heero's peaceful face. "Ah, koi...if only you know. But I suppose it is better for me to be able to be with you and protect you like this than us be apart, even if you don't know it."

With that thought, Duo rolled over and went to sleep.



------------------------


The next morning Duo was awakened by Quatre gently shaking him. "Duo?"

Duo yawned and sat up. "Oi, Q-man. What's up?"

"Certainly not you. It's two o'clock already."

"I'm not surprised. Heero decided to sit up half the night." Duo literally climbed *out* of the bed and tested his 'weight' on the solid floor. In Quatre's eyes, it seems that Duo had gone from a luminescent erethral angel to the typical Duo Maxwell, already pulling on his tight black pants. "This is going to take some getting used to."

Duo hopped around a bit trying to get his pants on. "Oro?"

"Nothing." Quatre shook his head. "Heero seems a little better now...although I'm half afraid to go near him in case he mentions what happened last night..."

"Last night?" Duo adjusted his black ballcap on his head.

Quatre rolled his eyes. "Look, I don't know exactly what you two were doing while I was asleep, and I don't think I want to know."

Duo grinned guiltily. "Um..."

"Look, Duo, I trust you. Whatever happened...I know you did it for a reason, and that's fine with me. I'll do anything I can to help you out."

A sly look spread across Duo's face. "So, if I wanna take you downtown..."

"I don't think so, Duo-kun." Quatre couldn't help but laugh. The little Arab led Duo downstairs to the kitchen, chatting buisily about the mission he'd just come back from and his sister getting married and did Duo want sugar with his tea? Duo readily assented and began to tell Quatre about Heero's curious behavior.

"I don't know." Quatre doubtfully folded his arms as they went into the kitchen. "I'm worried too, but he does seem better than he did last night. We'll just have to see, I guess."

"Maybe. I still don't understand why you can see me and he can't. I wonder about the others."

"You never know. Maybe it's just Heero that the problem is with." Quatre went to the cupboard and took down two teacups. "*Do* you actually want tea, or should I get you hot chocolate or something?"

Duo rushed to Quatre's side. "Oooh, Quatre-kun, hot chocolate?"

Quatre laughed. "Fine then!" He bent over to grab the tin from the bottom cupboard.

Duo tapped him on the shoulder. "Quatre?"

"Hm?" Quatre straightened and turned around to face a concerned-looking Trowa. "Oh, good afternoon, Trowa."




"Quatre..." Trowa studied the Arab worriedly. "Are you...all right?"

"Perfectly fine," Quatre answered. "Why do you ask?"

"You were talking to yourself..."

Quatre sucked in a quick breath and looked to his left. "Was I? How long were you there?"

"I was sitting at the table. You were too busy to notice."

Quatre looked into Trowa's emerald eyes. "Trowa...I need you to answer something for me, and truthfully..."

Trowa waited for him to continue.

"Trowa...do you beleive in angels? Or ghosts?"

"It depends on the situation," answered Trowa carefully.

Quatre sighed. "Trowa, do you see a person standing to my left?"

Yup, he'd flipped. "I don't see anything there, Quatre."

"No turning back now, eh, old friend?" Quatre said to the empty space. Trowa listened for an answer from the invisible man, but all he heard was the faint ringing of bells in the back of his consciousness. He dismissed them.

"Quatre, I'm worried." Trowa said seriously. "You're really seeing this...person? Like an imaginary friend?"

"Not just any imaginary friend," Quatre clenched his fist tightly and cast a final glance to his left. "Trowa, it's Duo."


----------------------


Shi-chan: I hope that was long enough.
Duo: Cliffhangers, cliffhangers...
Shi-chan: Gomen, gomen! It seemed like an appropriate part to leave off at...