Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Death Becomes Him ❯ ...Is A Sure Sign of Mental Collapse ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SUNDAY:


Shi-chan: Duo, hun, I've got a theory....
Duo: ? What?
Shi-chan: I'm going to try and write a chapter of this fic every night until I finish it. Is that okay with you?
Duo: *shrugs* At least it's not the body-switch fic...whatever, just finish fast.
Shi-chan: Yatta! I like the way this one's going. Let's get back to it!

---------------------------

Death Becomes Him
~By Shimegami-chan
Part 5
Preview: Duo's appearance and subsequent invisiblity make Trowa wonder at our poor Arabian's mental state...


Duo smacked his palm against his forehead. "Q-man...weren't we going to try and keep this a secret?"

"Sorry, Duo-kun...but you wanted to test your theory about Heero, right?"

Trowa looked very worried. "Quatre, I know you're shaken up over Duo's death, but you have to let it go. We all do."

Quatre's face was pained. "Trowa, I'm serious. I _really can see him._"

The unibanged pilot put his arm around Quatre's shoulders and led him to the table. "Quatre, I know you were hit the hardest out of all of us. I'm sorry."

Quatre's face paled several shades and Duo began to get a churning feeling in his stomach. "No, Trowa..." Quatre whispered hoarsely, "I wasn't hit the hardest at all." //Heero was.//

Trowa's emerald eyes darkened. "I think we need to get you some real help. A counsellor, or something. Please, Quatre."

"No." Quatre choked. "I'm not crazy, Trowa. I'm not! It's the truth!"

"Will you come with me? At least talk to someone?" Trowa looked so concerned. "Please?"

Quatre looked at the floor.

Trowa frowned and stood up. "I'll talk it over with Wufei and Heero."

That made both Quatre and Duo sit up and take notice. "No!" Quatre cried.

Duo walked over to the fridge and began banging his head solidly against it.

Quatre decided that he could always convince Trowa of Duo's existance later. "I'll go! But don't tell Heero about this. Please."

Trowa looked uneasy. "You'll definitely come?"

"Yes." Quatre sighed. He looked at Duo, half-passed out on the floor by the fridge. "You're coming too."

"Ow," the American pilot groaned. "Wouldn't dream of making you go at it alone. I'm in."


-------------------



The next day Quatre, Trowa, and Duo walked alone in the park, the former two silent, the latter running after butterflies and cracking jokes that only Quatre could hear.

Quatre was glad that it was the same old Duo, still with psychotically cheerful outlook on the world. But sometimes he saw something in those expressive violet eyes, a sadness that made him want to go to Duo and be a shoulder for him to cry on, but he knew Duo wouldn't cry. It wasn't in his nature.

He could see that wistfulness in Duo now, as the chestnut-haired pilot draped his arm across Quatre's shoulders. "Y'know, I don't think Heero's faring too well."

"Hm?" Quatre wondered quietly.

"What?" asked Trowa.

"Nothing." Quatre nodded slightly for Duo to continue.

"Last night he didn't sleep. He just lay there, holding a shirt I gave him the other night. I wanted to look at him, but he wouldn't turn and face my side of the bed. He just stared at the other wall all night."

Quatre gritted his teeth in response.

"Heero..." Quatre almost thought he saw a glimmer of tears in Duo's violet eyes. The Arab stopped short.

"He can't see me. He can't hear me. He tried to kill himself...he's _killing himself_ so slowly like this! I'm going to lose him again!" Duo finally broke down.

"Oi, oi..." Quatre soothed. "You were fine just a minute ago..."

"I can't be fine. Don't you see? Nothing's ever going to be the same as it was before. I'm not the same. *You're* not the same."

"Shh, shh." Quatre gave Duo a hug. //I never thought I'd see Duo Maxwell cry....// But there he was, clutching Quatre for support, tears streaming down his face.

"You must think I'm *such* a wimp," Duo sputtered. "I'm sorry, Quatre-kun. I don't mean to dump this out on you...but you're the only one that I can even...who can...damn!"

Quatre bent down on one knee until Duo was seated in the soft grass. "It's okay, Duo. I understand completely. I'd like to think that even if you...that if you needed a shoulder to cry on, I would be it. You're one of my best friends, Duo, don't you forget that."

"Damn, what did I do to deserve friends like you guys? And Heero..." he smiled. "Quatre, I always said 'boys don't cry.' But it hurts. I just need for all the pain and worry to go away. I need to laugh and talk with Trowa and Wufei, I need to fight with Heero, I need to run my fingers through his hair and kiss him and forget *everything*...."

"Duo, my dear friend. Everything will be fine. You'll see. You'll see."




-----------------------







Duo: .......
Shi-chan: Um. Angsty, wasn't it?
Quatre: I think you overdid it.
Shi-chan: Nah.
Duo: At least it was short.
Shi-chan: I have my reasons for that.
Duo: Like what?
Shi-chan: Read on...chapter six is on its way right now....
Duo: Uso! I'm tiiiiired! Can't you ever get inspired at some time earlier than 2 a.m.?
Shi-chan: *Yawn* No.