Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Everbody Breaks ❯ Something Else Happens ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Everybody Breaks Part Ten : Something Else Happens

By Kai

Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own Gundam Wing - and trust me - the boys are VERY thankful for that fact.
Ratings: NC-17 (sexual content and language) but not in this part, the rating is staying though because it applies to most of the story.
Warnings: Yaoi, 1x2x5x3x4 but not in this part... next part, maybe...
Special Thanks To Z for taking on the horrible and terrifying job of betaing for me. To think she was actually HAPPY to have the job.
Summary: The others are with Wufei now and the hunters are about to become the hunted... Shinigami and the Silent Clown (*giggles* what a name!) are going to make sure of that...  The question is, how far does everything go... course that's the next chapter, not this one, sorry!  *GRINS* NOT!

Something Else Happens
By Kai
 
I enjoyed being held by them but I only allowed myself to remain there for a few moments longer.  Eric would be there all too soon and there was a lot I needed to tell the others.  All of which they wouldn't like.  Slowly I began to pull away but their arms tightened over me making me realize that they weren't just holding me for me, they were doing it for themselves too because I had frightened them.  They needed and wanted me as much as I needed and wanted them.  Unfortunately, there were a lot of things they needed to know and Quatre had to leave before I could mention any of it.  There would be a little I could tell him afterwards but he couldn't know it all.  "Guys, there isn't anything I'd rather do than stay like this for the day but there's a lot we have to discuss and Quatre has to familiarize himself with board matters before their next meeting, which is tomorrow."  I knew that they would understand what I didn't say even if none of them truly liked it, especially Quatre.
 
Heero got up and offered his hands to Duo and I.  We accepted and easily got to our feet and I wasn't surprised when I stood up that Quatre pulled me into a quick kiss.  "I'll wait outside and make a few phone calls while you brief the others.  Then we're all going to get some much needed rest."
 
For once I didn't even think to argue, I just smiled and nodded.  Quatre moved towards me again but the second kiss was no where near as quick as the first.  I let myself enjoy exploring his mouth but even though I wanted to lean bonelessly into him like Heero had done a couple of days ago I wouldn't let myself.  There was still far too much to get straightened out to allow myself to just let go.  I was hesitant to pull away but Quatre saved me the decision by pulling back first.
 
Fierce protectiveness radiated from him and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it so, I pushed it away for the time being.  I didn't know how to deal with someone wanting to protect me because, all my life, I'd been the protector not the protectee.  Leaders have to be strong or why should anyone follow them?  "We'll talk after we're at the safe house."  Quatre spoke to me, never breaking eye contact.
 
It almost seemed natural that Quatre and the others would set up a 'safe house' in the city.  My acceptance and relief over that was a blatant reminder at just how lacking in normalcy my life truly was, but perhaps that was for the best since I wouldn't really know what to do with normalcy.
 
As Quatre left I found Duo gently shoving me into my chair as Trowa opened the first aid kit kept by the door along with a fire extinguisher.  I blinked at Duo as he started to unbutton my shirt but, strangely, I made no move to prevent him.  "What are you doing Duo?"
 
He frowned up at me from where he squatted between my legs.  "Cleaning and bandaging your wounds."
 
"Oh."  I'd managed to forget about them again.  My wounds just weren't as important as everything else that my mind needed to focus on.  Duo's frown deepened and I wanted to laugh at his claim that Heero and Quatre were the Mother Hens, it seemed to me that they were all in the running for that particular title and I was probably no different.  "My mind's just occupied with other things right now.  I have to tell you what's been going on as well as Une's suspicions. So if you're ready it would be a good idea if I started now, before something else happens."
 
Heero was standing stiffly in front of my desk in a way that let him keep an eye on both the closed door and the three of us.  "That might be best, Commander."
 
I stared at him a moment before remembering that we were at work, in uniform and I was Heero's Superior Officer.  The second I'd mentioned work it'd switched his focus, he really couldn't be a... lover and do his job at the same time.  I nodded to show him I understood and he seemed to relax a little, then I pulled together the cracked pieces of myself by sheer will alone.  Duty first.  "As you know, I am currently the Acting Commander and now your Superior Officer which basically means that you only have to answer to me and Captain Eric Warren, whose my Acting Second in Command."  Something I'd neglected to explain to him but he would have understood that when he'd been promoted to Captain.  Smart people were good at saving me explanation time.  "Now, the incident I spoke to you of was a bombing.  Someone bombed Preventers HQ and managed to take out nearly all of the Senior Officers in doing so.  The only one physically capable of doing the job of the Commander is me and, unless Sally wakes up in the next two days, it'll remain that way for a while.  Since the Senior Officers were severely injured it was assumed that they were the target and the goal was to throw the Agency into temporary chaos.  However, recent evidence and events have led myself and Une to believe that this may not be the case."
 
Duo finished his bandaging as Trowa put the supplies away and both were wearing frowns. Heero's face was blank, but his eyes told me that he had an idea of where I was going and he didn't like it.  Buttoning my shirt I took a slight moment to steel myself.  "From what evidence we managed to obtain from the bomb it appears that the actual target may have been myself.  Now, that clearly leaves us with a number of unanswered questions.  For instance, why target me in such a secure place when numerous other places would have been more favorable or why didn't those responsible know I wouldn't be there?  Either way; if it were to disrupt the chain of command or to eliminate me - maybe both - the attack on me today is proof that I am a target.  And though Une is still recovering from her injuries, she has made herself perfectly clear to me in that she wants one of you to be with me at all times and, though she's injured, she's still my Superior. I feel it important to follow her orders in this.  So your duties will be split between helping me solve this case and acting as body guards.  Is that acceptable?"
 
Heero gave a curt nod, still standing rigidly at attention.  "Yes, sir."
 
 
Trowa put the first aid kit back and leaned casually next to the door as he did, eyes meeting mine as he nodded seriously.
 
"An order saves me from doing it on the sly so no arguing here.  'Sides, Une's a smart lady - a bit unstable with a nasty sense of what constitutes revenge but smart - so if she thinks it's necessary I'm willing to put money on her opinion."  Duo straightened, only to flop bonelessly into a chair in front of the desk seconds later, a dangerous smile hovering over his lips. 
 
I turned my chair so that I faced my desk and the multitude of reports resting over its surface.  I gathered them together into a pile and pushed the pile towards Duo who was the closest.  "These are the reports we have so far and you'll need to familiarize yourselves with them as soon as you're able but you'll have to keep them from Quatre's line-of-sight.  Giving anyone the impression that he's being allowed access to classified documents would be all it would take to make this situation nearly impossible to control.  My suggestion is that those files remain here and you take the time to go over them thoroughly tomorrow.  Plus, there is one file that isn't official yet.  No one outside of the four of us and the person who wrote it even know of its existence and I'd prefer that it stay that way."
 
Duo's eyes narrowed.  "Must be interesting, care to tell us the abbreviated version?"
 
It had occurred to me that if the Agents were as high-ranking as the evidence indicated that they may have put surveillance on Une's office, which was temporarily mine, but Une had installed a jamming device in her office.  Something Duo and Heero had come up with together.  So even if they had they wouldn't be able to get anything since it was on 24/7, unless you purposely disabled it.  Still, if we did find a device in the office it could offer more support to the idea that they were high-ranking officers and the device itself might offer a few clues.  And if there was one in Une's office there could be some in the offices of the others...
 
"Fei?"
 
I gave Duo a reassuring smile and focused on answering his question.  "The substance used to make the bomb is a new compound.  And the only available supply of it was locked in a hazardous materials evidence locker; a Preventers' evidence locker."
 
I paused to let that sink in and I wasn't disappointed.  All of their eyes narrowed dangerously and Duo outright frowned, shaking his head as he leaned forward to speak to me.  "What did they take, and how much?"
 
"Netrix.  Three pounds."
 
Duo sucked in air so quickly that it hissed between his teeth.  "Where's the forensics' file?"
 
I got to my feet, went over to the coat rack and pulled the file from where I'd hidden it in my jacket.  None of them missed the fact that it had been hidden and I knew they were smart enough to figure out that it was the file I'd been talking about.  I set it in front of Duo and sat back down as Trowa and Heero moved to read it over Duo's shoulder.  I found myself watching Duo as he read.  He was the expert on bombs in our little group and Une often called on him as a consultant; officially and unofficially.  Whatever he was seeing in the file wasn't helping him to relax, if anything it was making him tense enough to snap in two.  And mad, he was extremely mad and worried.  Unfortunately, I still needed to tell them 'why' the evidence indicated that I may have been the main target from the beginning.  I waited until Heero and Trowa went back to their original positions and Duo had closed the file, a little too firmly.  "Une believes I may have been the target because of the placing and force of the bomb.  The bomb was set up at the foot of the table, on the left hand side.  Normally, that's where I would have been sitting.  If I hadn't been on sick leave I would have been killed like Alisa and Agent Cantonelli."
 
All three of them went completely pale as all the blood seemed to drain from their faces.  I hadn't expected that, and I didn't expect to have Duo suddenly move to my side of the desk and pull me close to him so that our bodies were in contact from head to foot; he was shaking.  I looked around the room and Heero was still standing at attention but the pain in his eyes startled me.  Trowa seemed to be torn between doing what Duo was and going to Heero.  In the end he moved closer to Heero and lightly placed a hand at the small of his back.  The pain in Heero's eyes didn't go away, but he did lose some of his rigidity.  Slowly I wrapped my arms around Duo and held him close to me until he stopped shaking.  When he had, I used my fingers to tilt his head up and lightly kissed his nose before stepping back.
 
Dumbly his hand moved up to lightly touch his nose and then he smiled.  It was a bit wobbly but it was still a smile.  A bit calmer than he had been, he went back to the chair he'd been sitting in and flopped into it.  "We have a few more problems than what you might realize Fei."
 
I just sat down, raised an eyebrow and waited.  I'd discovered during the war that Duo could have a great deal of patience when he chose but he didn't have as much patience as I did.  He'd never be able to out-wait me and he was well aware of that fact.
 
He smirked at me but shrugged to dismiss my obvious challenge.  "Three pounds of nextrix are missing but only about ten grams would have been used for the bomb - probably less.  If they chose to use the rest of it they could easy take out a couple of city blocks and there's no telling what exactly they might do because we don't know the exact 'why' or the exact 'who'."
 
"But we could."  That certainly got their full attention in a hurry.
 
Duo's smirk had turned slightly maniacal and dangerous.  "Oh, do tell."
 
"Ms. Sahibra, Sally's second, discovered that nextrix was used but she's going to keep it out of the 'official' file for a few days and the word will spread that she's having trouble identifying the substance that was used and that it will take her a few days to figure it out.  If the ones responsible hear about it they might think that the easiest way to keep their involvement hidden would be to destroy all the evidence before she can figure out what it is."
 
"A trap."  Duo's eyes were a little hard to read - more like Shinigami's than I would have liked, but I chose not to say anything because Shinigami was as much a part of Duo as duty was a part of me.  "And who better to work on it than a stealth expert and an infiltration expert.  Best of all, that still leaves Heero to guard you and Quatre to do what he does best with Relena and Dorothy - raise a little hell."
 
I nodded because he was following my own thoughts.  "I just want you to remember not to involve Ms. Sahibra.  Her life is already in danger and it would be unacceptable for that to increase, especially since she isn't field rated."  To the others that was almost as good as calling her a civilian.  As a rule, we did our best to not involve civilians.  "And I want this 'trap' to stay between the four of us and if necessary, Eric.  Do whatever you feel is necessary but be careful.  My cell phone will be on, if you need anything, just call.  If not my phone, then Heero's... and as a last result Quatre's."
 
Duo eyed me a second.  "If Tro and I want to get these guys we're going to have to start right away.  We won't be able to go with you guys to the safe house."
 
My heart thudded painfully in my chest when he said that, but I knew he was right.  "Did you get enough rest on the way to Earth?"
 
Duo shrugged, "I piloting the whole trip, but I managed to catch a few hours of rest when I'd switched on the autopilot.  What about you Tro?"
 
Trowa shrugged, "About the same."
 
I frowned slightly, "Will you be rested enough to do this?  Because if you aren't, I can..."
 
"Don't even say it Fei!  We'll be fine.  Not to mention we'll have an easier time going unnoticed than you would.  After all, we aren't' the ones currently being targeted.  As long as we know you're safe, we'll have no problems doing what we need to do.  And quite frankly there is no one better to watch your back than 'Ro."
 
I nodded, "The only time I truly feel safe is when one of the four of you is watching my back."
 
Something I would almost call pride or satisfaction flashed in Heero's eyes but nothing about his stance and expression betrayed it.  There was a knock at my door and I nodded slightly at Trowa who opened it to reveal Eric.  His fist was raised to knock again and he didn't look happy.  Neither did Agent Russo who stood just behind him.  I was impressed when Agent Russo's gaze followed Eric's, taking in the new arrivals and their positions as well as the slightly bloody mess in the garbage can next to my desk.  If anything Eric looked even more grim.  "So it's true then?"
 
"Yes."  It was obvious he'd heard about the attempt on my life.  He frowned and moved a few feet into the room with Agent Russo staying a few feet behind him and making sure the door actually closed.  He could tell his superiors were about to have words, and he knew it was best to keep the audience small.  Then he did a smart thing, he slowly backed towards the wall and tried to disappear.  Trowa actually look a bit impressed and that was a very difficult thing to get from him.
 
Eric moved towards my desk and set a briefcase on it a little harder than was necessary.  It probably held the files, contracts, badges, and guns for Heero, Duo and Trowa.  I didn't say anything, just leaned back in my chair, folded my hands in my lap and raised an eyebrow slightly.  "You called me to tell me to meet you here and that they'd arrived early and it didn't once occur to you that you should tell me that you'd been shot at?!  You know how I found out Chang?  The fucking radio on the way to work this morning!  The radio!  And you know what I have to say to that Chang?  You're will not to be going anywhere by yourself and don't think for a second that I'm going to let you get away with having just a green recruit as a driver either.  The Lord knows that I know how good you are but no one is that good!  You're going to have someone watch your back 24/7 even if I have to sit on you myself!"
 
No, he wasn't happy, not at all, but he'd managed to keep from raising his voice too much, which meant that most of what he'd said hadn't been overheard.  Slowly I leaned forward, clasping my hands on the desktop.  "An Agent has already been assigned to act as my temporary body guard."
 
His eyes narrowed and his body was deceptively relaxed in a telltale sign that he'd better like the answer to his question.  "Who?"
 
"Agent Heero Yuy."
 
I saw Agent Russo's eyes widen in surprise before he covered it.  Eric didn't bother to hide his reaction as he turned to critically assess Heero, who was obviously doing the same to Eric.  He'd even moved closer to me when Eric had started his lecture.  Eric knew Heero's history and that he'd been a bodyguard for Relena so I was a little surprised that he hadn't accepted the arrangement right away.  Finally Eric snorted, "He'll do."
 
"I'm so glad you approve."  I said it dryly in lieu of rolling my eyes.  Eye-rolling was unprofessional after all and Agent Russo was still in the room.  "Now, for your surprise."
 
Eric crossed his arms and frowned down at me.  "What surprise?"
 
"I'm assigning Agent Russo to you as your partner.  You need someone to watch your back and he's more than capable."
 
Agent Russo actually blanched as Eric turned to glare at him but he didn't look away.  "Fine."  Then he turned back to me.  "Anything else you want to tell me?"
 
I met his gaze and slowly stood up and slipped my coat on.  "You're in charge, I'm going to get some sleep.  If you need me you know my cell number."  I grabbed the briefcase, opened it and tossed each of the others their badges and a gun.  They easily caught them.  Then I looked at Eric again.  "That okay with you?"
 
"You're the boss, kid, so stop asking my permission.  My permission ain't worth shit since you always do what you want anyhow."
 
I smiled at him.  "You're right, I do."  With that I walked out of the office to find Quatre, knowing the others would follow.
 
*****************************
 
Trowa and Duo disappeared from the 'safe house' after giving me a quick kiss goodbye.  The 'safe house' wasn't a mansion but it was a large house with an advanced security system that Quatre had purchased and a small army of Maganacs who'd somehow materialized out of nowhere.
 
On the drive to the house I'd explained a few things to Quatre - no specifics but vague generalities and I knew he'd easily fill in the blanks.  Outside of the nextrix situation he probably knew as much as we did.  It made me feel a great deal better, knowing that he knew what he needed.
 
I wasn't really sure what to expect when Heero and Quatre pulled me into a large bedroom, but a part of me expected sex; the same part that wanted sex.  Another part was still too confused to really want to try and dive into any more sexual adventures.  I still hadn't had time to sort out exactly what had happened when I'd been with Duo and Heero the last time.  The intensity of it had frightened me because I'd never experienced that much desire or want before - I had no real concepts of what it had been or what it meant and without the necessary time to figure it out I wasn't sure if jumping into it all over again would be such a great idea.  I didn't like not knowing things, it was dangerous.
 
Heero gently pushed me into a stuffed chair facing the bed and I just waited to see what they wanted.  I was a bit confused when Quatre dropped my bag of art supplies on my lap before joining Heero on the bed.  Both of them sitting and watching me.  I waited for a few moments but when neither of them offered an explanation I cocked my head to the side slightly, "Okay, I'll admit I'm at a bit of a loss and not a little curious.  Care to explain the purpose of dragging my art supplies from L4 just to unceremoniously drop them in my lap?"
 
Quatre didn't blink and Heero remained stiff, face expressionless, and with his hair in his eyes I couldn't read him at all.  "We looked at them."
 
Despite my best efforts my cheeks burned.  The drawings were rough but I knew I was talented and that the others would have easily recognized the subjects in most of the sketches.  Still, I refused to be ashamed of them.  "I admire beautiful and strong things and I choose to immortalize them through paper and pencil.  If you have a problem with being something I admire then I'll forgo drawing you in the future, but I will not throw away or destroy the work I've already done."
 
Heero's head came up sharply and I could see hope in his eyes.  "You find us... me... something to admire?"
 
I frowned, "Of course, I do.  You were what I always measured myself against during the war."
 
I had to blink then because Yuy, as in Heero Yuy, blushed.  Not in embarrassment but in pleasure.  And I did that.  The thought made my chest feel a little funny.
 
Quatre cleared his throat.  "We don't want you to destroy them Wufei and we certainly don't want you to stop.  They're beautiful works of art.  All of us believe that.  Heero and I were hoping that you would consider doing some drawings of us."
 
My heart threatened to choke me.  "You want to pose for me?"
 
Quatre seemed to relax slightly and gave me a hesitant smile.  "If you don't mind.  Duo and Trowa would like to as well, when they have time."
 
"If I don't mind?  Of course I don't.  You want to do some now?"  My hands were already pulling out my sketchpad, a couple of pencils, and an eraser. 
 
"If you wouldn't mind."  Heero looked suddenly shy and I liked it, it softened his face in just the right way.
 
"Take off your shirts and get on the bed.  Quatre I want you to hold Heero between your legs and just lightly touch him in any way you'd like."  I cheerfully lost myself to drawing the two of them, the contrasts of their skin and coloring, the scars and calluses, the baby softness of Quatre's hair and the untamed wildness of Heero's, the way the sunlight coming in through the far window played over their bodies accenting muscles...
 
It wasn't until my hand started to cramp that I found myself staring down at about ten pages of drawings, and except for my hand I was entirely relaxed and tired.  My jaw actually cracked when I yawned.  Quatre was watching me intently and I realized that Heero had actually fallen asleep in his arms.  Slowly I put my supplies away and removed all of my clothes except my briefs.  "Should we take his pants and socks off?"
 
Quatre nodded, "That would be a good idea.  If you take the right side I'll take the left."
 
Together we tugged off Heero's clothing and Quatre got off the bed to do the same.  I was a bit thankful that he left his boxers on but I was also slightly disappointed.  I was seriously beginning to think that I didn't know what I wanted.
 
He motioned for me to crawl in next to Heero and I did, pulling him gently into my arms even as Quatre slid in behind me and wrapped me in his.  It was comfortable but more importantly, since coming back to Earth, my life felt right.
 
********************************
 
I snapped awake, uncertain why I had woken up in the first place but my cell phone rang again and I knew that that was what had woken me.  Carefully I extracted myself from the others and grabbed my phone from where it had been left near the chair.
 
"Chang here."
 
"Hey Fei-fei."
 
"Duo?"  It was about one in the morning according to the clock on the night stand.  Why was he calling?
 
"Yep!  Tro and I got a present for ya if you'd like to come over to the forensic labs."
 
Already?  That had been quicker than I'd anticipated.  "Alright.  Heero and I will be there in about half an hour."
 
"Righty-o!  See ya then." 
 
He hung up and I pulled the phone away from my ear to stare at it.  Just what would I find out when I got there?  I almost didn't want to know.