Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Everbody Breaks ❯ Points of View Eight ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Points of View:Part Eight
Companion piece to Everybody Breaks written
from the other pilot's POVs.
By Kai


Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own Gundam Wing - and trust me - the boys are VERY thankful for that fact. I mean, could you imagine owning the G-boys? *GRINS*

Ratings: NC-17 (sexual content, bondage, yaoi, and language.)

Warnings: Yaoi, 1x2x5x3x4 and variations thereof.

SPECIAL THANKS TO (drum roll please).... Z, for being my awesome and wonderfully talented beta-reader!!!

Summary: If you ever wondered what the other pilots felt when everything was happening in Everybody Breaks, now is your chance. Hope you like this.

Points of View: Part Eight
By Kai
Quatre's POV
 
I had Samir and Baz accompany me because they were both able to remain quiet and still for long periods of time.  Until the other pilots had all come to live on L4 with me and became my bodyguards, the two of them had been the ones who had guarded me at meetings. They were more than willing to do it again.  We arrived at the Government Conference Building about twenty minutes early as I wanted plenty of opportunity to evaluate everyone before the meeting started.
 
I arrived to find both Relena and Dorothy already there, but not sitting together. They had taken seats apart to gain a better grasp of those in their area.  I had planned to do the same thing; it was nice that we were thinking along the same lines.  It would prevent problems in the future. 
 
Behind Relena, near the wall, were two of her bodyguards.  Both wore sunglasses and appeared to be of Chinese decent. Something about them made the hair on the back of my neck rise.  The very idea that I was suspicious of them was ridiculous though, because Heero had designed Relena's security measures. I'd seen the plans myself, even implemented some of them into WEI.  Despite that the feeling didn't go away and what was worse was that, as the other members arrived to the meeting, my gaze kept sliding off them to their security.  The only guards that weren't making me uneasy were Samir, Baz, and Mr. Koike's single guard.  Dorothy didn't have any, but everyone except her and Mr. Koike had two each.  That meant there were eighteen guards setting my nerves on edge and two Board Members.  I didn't like those numbers - especially since all of those guards were armed.  Behind me I felt Samir and Baz shift uncomfortably, something they never did.
 
Then Baz leaned down, mouth next to my ear, voice barely above a whisper.  "Master Quatre, I think it might be best if we moved to another room."
 
I nodded and rose from my chair, looking at Dorothy and making a quick hand gesture as I mouthed 'Relena'.  It didn't take more than that for Dorothy to catch on to both the situation and what I intended.  I'd already gotten halfway to the door, both Samir and Baz following me, when Dorothy swayed over to Relena in order to drag her along.  Samir, Baz, and I never made it to the door.
 
An older Chinese man was blocking our way - and he wasn't alone.  There were at least twelve other men and women with him, all of them were in Preventers Uniforms.  He looked right at me and smiled in a way that was remnant of Trieze.  "I'm sorry Mr. Winner but I'm afraid I'll need you, Ms. Catalonia, and your two bodyguards to return to your seats - as soon as my men have confiscated your weapons, of course.  I wish this transition to go as smoothly as possible.  Unnecessary bloodshed would only upset our Lord and I do not wish that, however, please remember that I will do what I must to accomplish the goals set by the Liberation Front."  A couple of the people behind him moved slowly towards us, and I signaled Samir and Baz to do nothing.
 
Even as they searched us, I could see that each of the Board Members, except Mr. Clarkson and Mrs. Santini, were being guarded by a bodyguard while the other guards had moved to strategic positions around the room.  One of the bodyguards moved to grab Dorothy's elbow but she jerked it out of his grasp and glared down her nose at him, looking for the entire world as if she were a Queen.  "I can find my seat on my own... sir.  Kindly keep your hands to yourself; you'll hardly do yourself any favors should you inadvertently wrinkle my dress."  She turned on her heel and glided over to her own seat as if there weren't more than thirty guns following her every movement.
 
If the situation weren't so serious I may have laughed.  She had certainly surprised our captures with her little stunt.
 
The man who appeared to be in charge raised an eyebrow in my direction with that same smile still painted on his face.  "If you and your men would be so kind as to sit down Mr. Winner."
 
I met his dark eyes with a steady gaze and nodded my head a fraction in acknowledgement.  "Of course."  I indicated that both Samir and Baz should take one of the few extra chairs each.  Slowly I reclaimed my own seat, watching the man the entire time I did.  The way he carried himself, the look of compassionate superiority on his face, the well-fitted clothing - it was all so much like Trieze that I felt like I was stuck in a moment of deja vu.
 
Pushing the feeling aside, I took a closer look at his Uniform.  It was modeled after the Preventers Uniforms but the colors were dark blue and white and some of the decorations adorning it were oriental in design and looked slightly familiar, but I couldn't place where I'd seen them before.
 
As I continued to watch him, I chose not to question him or demand answers.  He might expect that and I didn't wish to give him anything he wanted.  Besides, I knew that given time - the answers would make themselves known.  Until I had an idea of what he did and did not know I could wait.  You had to know your enemy and what he wanted, only then could you gain power over them as well as the situation.  I leaned back in my chair, making myself comfortable.
 
The man merely continued to smile at me a few more seconds before turning to address the other Board Members.  "I understand your confusion Ladies and Gentlemen, but there is no need for panic or fear.  As long as you listen and do as we ask, you won't be harmed.  However, if you do not... the consequences will be most unfortunate.  Please do not attempt to escape for this building is under our complete control.  As to who we are, we are the Liberation Front.  For now and until our Lord joins us, I am in charge.  My name is Lee Huang.  Make no mistake though, my life and the lives of those with me are of no real importance.  If you were to kill me, another present is designated to take my place.  Kill that individual and another takes over.  It will continue like that until there is no one left alive among us.  Our mission is far greater than the life of any one man except our Lord and he is not here.  The Front does realize the inconvenience this is for you and to help you understand your situation I am willing to hear any questions you may have, though please be aware that while I will do my best to answer as many as I can, you may not receive an answer for all of them.  So, who wishes to go first?"  He stood, relaxed, yet alert in a way that indicated he had some sort of training in fighting - possibly even military.
 
I remained quiet, as did Dorothy - the two of us attempting to get a better grasp on the situation and what the Liberation Front could possible want with us. The seven Board Members I felt weren't involved with the Liberation Front and its agenda were glued to their chairs in fear.  Not a surprise since they were politicians - not one of them with a military or policing background.  The only person who dared get to her feet and glare at Huang in anger, fearlessly defying him with every fiber in her being, was Relena.
 
As she stood there, back straight and head held high, I understood 'why' people had been willing to not only believe in her but follow her as well.  "Then I have a few questions I would like to ask you, Mr. Lee."
 
Huang nodded his head respectfully in her direction.  He seemed pleased by her actions for some reason.  "You may call me Huang, your Highness.  Please, feel free to ask any questions you feel necessary, Highness."
 
The only indication that the title of Highness had an effect on her was the flash of hardness in her eyes.  Huang hadn't meant it as a barb or as an offense to her.  He'd said it sincerely, but the title had negative connotations for her and she'd reacted because of what it meant to her.  The title was unexpected, though.  Relena was no long titled Royalty, abditcing in favor of being Relena Darlian - Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs.  Despite that, there were a lot of people who would willingly over-look that minor detail if she were to ever change her mind and from the way Huang and the rest of his men seemed to be watching her - both respectfully and a bit in awe - it appeared as if the Liberations Front was made up of those people.  Which could mean that they had come for Relena; but if Relena was all they'd wanted and - because they'd already managed to infiltrate her security - they could have easily taken her at any time.  Why would they wait until the meeting, when there was more security, to go after her?  Why waste time and energy to place their men with the other Board Members as well?  There had to be another reason behind what they were doing, but what?
 
It was a bold move, bold enough to promote their Organization and make the Preventers Agency look incompetent.  Even after a year of existence, the Agency was only just beginning to gain the trust of the people, but something like the bombing or the capture of the Board would erase that trust all too quickly.
 
After two wars, people wanted to believe in peace but they were hesitant to do so for obvious reasons.  So, eliminating that trust could be a motive but it wasn't enough.  True, it would take care of Preventers and open the way for another Organization to take it's place but why would the people choose to follow the Liberation Front and their Lord?  Having Relena could only carry them so far, they needed something more to finish taking them to their goal.  The question was, what was it?  It would have to be as strong and symbolic as Relena - more so.  A tragic past to gain the sympathies of the people...
 
If it were a person it couldn't be anyone on the Board.  Other than myself and Relena, no one came close to that description.  And considering the only respect I was being shown was the respect you would give a possibly dangerous opponent, I highly doubted I was the extra momentum they were after.  Zechs might have been a possibility or Une, but they had been seriously injured by the bombing and damaging the person they needed was counter-productive.
 
If it was a thing... that made the situation even more confusing because media coverage wasn't enough and considering their organization, training, weaponry, supplies, and apparent connections - they didn't need money.  So what else could they need?  I had absolutely no idea.
 
And this Lord of theirs, just who was he and what did he have to do with all of this?  If he was the extra piece they needed, why was the Liberation Front going through all this trouble when they could have just taken Relena to him and leak the bombing to the press?
 
My thoughts came to a halt as Relena took the floor with merely a few words.  "I would prefer to be called either Vice Minister or Ms. Darlian, thank you."
 
Huang smiled slightly, almost content at the fire she was showing, and nodded his head again.  It was only then that I realized it was more than a way to acknowledge her; it was an abbreviated bow.  Just what was going on and what did Relena have to do with it?  "Of course, Ms. Darlian.  Do you have anything you wish to question me about?"
 
"Why are you doing this?"
 
Huang met her glare impassively.  "Why?  Because there is a better way; a way of duty, honor, and courage.  A way that wouldn't have allowed such important people as yourselves to be captured.  A way that wouldn't have let the Senior Preventer Officers be injured so badly that they required hospitalization while in their most secure establishment. A way that wouldn't have allowed the current Acting Commander of the Preventers to nearly be gunned down in a parking lot."  His voice had been fairly steady through his list, but on the last one, the one involving Wufei, it rose slightly - as if in anger.  But why was he angry?  Because his plan had failed to kill Wufei?  Or was it because it might have succeeded if Wufei had been anything less than what he was?  And if it was the last, why?  Why would he care about what did or didn't happen to Wufei?
 
In my chest I felt my heart skip a beat as I took a closer look at Huangs' uniform and the design's on it.  I remembered.  I knew where I'd seen those designs and colors before.  The traditional outfits of the Imperial Guard were similar.  Which meant that Huang was likely a survivor of L5, and if he was then his Lord likely was as well.  This was going to rip Wufei apart.  Bile rose in my throat but I forced it down and locked my emotions and thoughts firmly behind a mask of calm and boredom.  Huang might consider me dangerous but if the others thought I just another billionaire playboy; a change to turn the tables might just present itself.  I had to do whatever I could to keep Wufei from this awful truth.
 
No one, not even Dorothy or Relena, had noticed my brief shock.  In fact, Relena was looking at Huang in the way that someone would look at an incredibly stupid rat in a maze, a rat who couldn't seem to stop running around in circles despite ten perfectly obvious ways to get to the cheese.  "Peace takes time to run smoothly and Preventers is still only just starting.  It has a few minor problems that need to be sorted out but with any organization as large as it is that is to be expected.  The solutions for those problems have to be carefully considered.  Even the problems themselves take time to discover because the worst ones are usually the least obvious."
 
Huang shook his head slightly, "No. That is a nice dream, Ms. Darlian, but it isn't logical.  A year should have been plenty of time to establish such an Organization and have it run smoothly.  The truth is simple.  Preventers simply isn't stable, sound, or strong enough to do the job it's been assigned.  Thankfully, where the Preventers has failed, the Liberation Front will not.  An Organization is only as strong as it's leader and no one is as strong as our Lord."
 
I snuck a quick glance around at his men as he said that and saw by the fierce pride and belief in their eyes and faces, the way they all seemed to look more certain and confident at Huang's words, every last one of the men and women in his group believed it.  A person who could inspire that kind of loyalty in hardened war veterans, which most of them obviously were, was a great man.  There was no doubt about that.  But a man, aware of that power and using it knowingly was also very dangerous.
 
Relena continued to watch him with an expression that was equally contempt and pity.  "That's the sole reason for kidnapping the Board?  To prove to everyone that the Preventers Agency has some glitches in it's operations?"
 
"Not the sole reason, Ms. Darlian.  Just one of four."
 
Relena's eyebrow rose slightly.  "And what are the other three reasons?"
 
Huang lifted a hand-held radio to his lips.  "Bring him to the Conference room."
 
In my pocket I felt my phone vibrate, but I didn't bother reaching for it.  They had left it on me when they'd taken my knife and gun, and I didn't want to remind them that I had it because I had a feeling I might be able to use it to get us out of the situation.  I had no idea who they were bringing into the room and, though all of those connected to the Liberation Front did, the rest of the captives looked just as uncertain as I felt.  So it was no little surprise to me when a monk was escorted into the room.  He didn't look too happy to be there either, but Huang didn't seem to notice, or if he did, he was choosing to over-look it.  "Master Xiang."  Huang turned to Relena.  "Ms. Darlian this is Master Xiang.  Master Xiang, Ms. Darlian."
 
Relena blinked but smiled warmly at the old man.  "A pleasure to meet you sir, though I wish it were under better circumstances."
 
The monk smiled slightly.  "As do I, miss."
 
Huang seemed pleased by the interaction, something that set my nerves on edge.  "To answer you earlier question, Ms. Darlian, one of the reasons is to meet our Lord.  The second was to have access to you as well as present you to our Lord and the third involves Master Xiang."
 
Frowning, Relena looked at the monk.  "Why would he need you Master Xiang?"
 
The man seemed suddenly weary as he watched Relena with sad eyes.  "He needs me to perform a marriage ceremony that will be broadcast over all vid-channels on the colonies and Earth."
 
She blinked, trying to hid the horror she had to feel, as she asked the question we all already knew the answer to.  "Who are you to marry Master Xiang?"
 
"You and our Lord.  I am truly sorry, miss.  If it was only my life on the line I would refuse, but they hold the lives of an entire orphanage in their hands... I pray that you'll be able to forgive m one day, but I will not expect it."
 
The smile that moved Relena's lips mad me feel slightly sick.  "I already forgive you Master Xiang."  She turned to fully face Huang - somehow managing to hold herself high.  "I assume that that threat also extends to me."
 
Huang smiled sweetly and shrugged.  "If need be, Ms. Darlian.  If need be."