Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ In the Arms of the Angel ❯ Duo - 7 ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Part XV

He walked with a gang member swagger. It was like an "I'm dangerous and you're not" kind of limp. He pulled back his left shoulder as if trying to show off his flaccid chest, but only to the left side. He bounced along with the extreme pull of his shoulder, seemingly as if he had a disability. It was a peckerwood with an attitude strut that would have been hilarious if it weren't for the maliciously gleaming gun he held in lax fingers. He was a motherfucker looking for trouble.

Duo knew he had drugs on him, and not the beginner shit everyone carried either. This guy was for real. He slowly made his way across the dank alleyway to intercept the dealer. He ended up with a gun wavering in his face. He didn't move.

"I was hoping to find some Ice." The dealer's eyes narrowed.

"How much do you need?" Duo shrugged.

"A lot. And if you can supply it, I'll deal with you permanently." The dealer's eyebrow's jerked and a drunken glaze flowed over his eyes.

"How much?" The voice cracked even in its whisper and Duo know that he had a dealer. Duo leaned closer as the gun seemed to float away.

"100 grams." The dealer moaned.

"I only have a gram on me. I can get the rest in two days. This acceptable?" Duo nodded. "I charge $100 per gram, but for you I'll only charge $ 80."

"How do I know you're not cheating me?" The dealer grinned.

"I deal with several rich folk, but my prices are better than the others. You are more than welcome to shop around, but I have the best shit. I only deal with top of the line."

"Good." Duo's lips pulled back into a grin. "Good." The dealer raised his chin.

"There was even this rich blonde guy I dealt Dust to, and I didn't rip him off either. I don't do that."

"I understand."

"Good. Do you have the money?"

"Yes. I'll give you $ 80 now and the rest upon pick up of the goods." The dealer motioned for Duo to follow. He was led into an abandoned warehouse where broken glass littered the floor and torn rafters hung from the ceiling. What little light filtered through the cracked and broken windows succeeded only in turning the area blue. Duo flipped his eyes over everything, constantly scanning for anything. The dealer stopped in front of a ruined desk. Rats scurried away.

"I'll have the rest for you in two days. Meet me in the alley. I'll find you." He reached into the desk and pulled out a balloon and handed it to Duo. Duo played with the balloon as he reached into his pocket and pulled out some dirtied and crumpled bills. He cast a quick glance at them and passed the bundle to the anxiously waiting dealer. The dealer quickly thumbed through the bills, licking his thumb to do so. He grinned at the final count and quickly pocketed the payment. "It will be a pleasure doing business with you." Duo nodded.

"Same." Duo turned and walked out of the warehouse and disappeared into the shadows. He pressed his back against the rough brick of the closest building and slowly slid down to the ground. He could feel his clothes catch the brick. He pulled his kit out of his coat pocket. He quickly prepared an injection.

He held the syringe up, looking through it, and tapped the glass, watching as a bubble swiveled to the top. He balanced the syringe on his bent knee and pushed the sleeve of his coat up his arm, trapping the bunched material between his arm and side. He slapped the inside of his arm a couple times while squeezing his fist. He had misplaced his rubber tie so he couldn't prepare his veins the proper way. It didn't matter; his veins were already standing at attention. He slowly pushed the needle into his skin. He released the stopper on the syringe slightly so he let in a little bit of blood into the syringe. He watched his blood mix with the clear liquid. He pressed the stopper and injected himself with his new heroin. When everything was inside of him, he took out the needle; wiped it on the small square of cloth he wrapped the syringe in. After wrapping it up and placing the needle in his pocket, he leaned his head back and waited for the drug to take effect.

"Oh my God."

It was amazing; he had never felt so good. This really was the best shit. He was never leaving the colonies again. He couldn't go back to the third rate shit they had on Earth. He was home.

______________________________

Tires squealed as the car lurched to a stop inches from the other bumper. Heero's white-knuckled grip on the steering wheel increased ten-fold as his car skidded to a stop. He sat there panting for a few long moments, trying to get his flailing heart under control.

He hadn't even seen the brake lights on the car in front of him go on, he had been so absorbed in searching the surrounding cityscape for Duo that he had long since stopped paying attention to the road. He peeled a hand away from the steering wheel and brought it shakily up to his eyes, slowly rubbing before pinching the bridge of his nose. A monstrous yawn broke through and he finally relented to the fatigue that had plagued him for the last few hours.

He had been searching for Duo since the Center had called him. It was after dawn. He had been driving all night. He slowly made his way home, shakily driving because of pent up fear.

He couldn't find Duo. What if Duo was laying dead in a ditch some where? Heero pulled into his driveway with a lurch, throwing the car into park and letting his forehead drop against the steering wheel. He couldn't think like this. If he entertained pensive thoughts, then he would drive himself mad with fear and anguish. He needed to find Duo, then everything would be okay.

His shoulders began hitching as his breath caught in his throat. He tried to hold back his tears, but he was too weary, and he cried out his fear into the steering wheel. This was quickly becoming too much for him. If only he could hear a familiar voice, if only he could find Duo. If only . . .

But there wasn't an If Only. There was only reality, and reality showed him that Duo was no where to be found.

He drew in shaky and raspy breaths and slowly pulled himself out of the car and dragged himself inside where he collapsed on the couch in a fresh round of bitter tears.

How on Earth could he possibly survive this? It was taking its toll on him, and he didn't know anymore if he was strong enough. After all, there was only so much a person could take. After that . . . well, one could only hope for the best.

He threw his arm over his eyes and fell into a fitful sleep as he sprawled across the couch, too tired to even take his jacket off.

He woke up with the sensation of falling. His eyes snapped open and his body convulsed once as he fought against his dreams. He stared at the ceiling for a moment, trying to orientate himself. He was on the couch in his clothes and jacket. He was still so tired. He sat up rubbing his eyes. He leaned forward resting his elbows on his knees, dropping his head between his arms.

He fought the urge to cry.

He stood up and stretched as he made his way to the phone, glancing at the clock on the way. It was only 9:00. He had only slept for three hours. Fuck. He sat down on the chair by the phone looking uncomprehendingly at the address book left open. His sleep-fogged mind couldn't keep up with his exhausted body. He desperately needed someone to talk to. His eyes caught Quatre's name and he picked up the phone. Quatre could talk to him, reassure him that everything would be okay. Quatre always had a knack for calming people down, for making them less stressed, letting them think on the problem, not the emotion. He dialed Quatre's number.

"Hello?" Heero's jaw dropped. It was Trowa's voice drifted over the line.

"Trowa?"

"Yeah. Hi Heero."

"When did you get back?"

"About six months ago." Heero closed his eyes. He hadn't spoken to Quatre in half a year. His mind wandered back six months and realized that he would have just found Duo. He hadn't talked to Quatre since before he had thrown Duo out. That was around a year ago. A fucking year. What kind of friend did that make him? Suddenly, he wasn't sure that he wanted to talk to Quatre. What would Quatre say? What would he say if the tables were reversed? But he knew that no matter how much he might dread Quatre response, he would be a worse friend if he continued to let the silence go on.

"Can I talk to Quatre?" He was probably being rude by not talking with Trowa some more, but he really didn't know what to say.

"Sure. He just woke up, so it might be a minute." He heard a door open on Trowa's end of the line and soon he could hear sheets rustling. "Baby, Heero's on the phone." Trowa's voice was distant, like he was holding the phone away from his face. "Wake up, babe."

"Yeah? Hey Sweetie." Quatre's sleep-worn voice could be heard, and Heero found himself close to tears again as the terms of endearment were heard. God how he missed Duo, if only he could get him back. If only . . .

"Heero's on the phone."

"Heero?" There was some jostling of the phone before Quatre spoke into the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, Quatre. How are you?"

"Heero! I was beginning to think that I'd never hear from you again." Heero forced himself to chuckle.

"No. I was just out chasing Duo."

"For a year?" Quatre's voice was cynical. Heero didn't blame him.

"Well, yes and no. Duo's been home for about six months, but he's not the same."

"What happened?" Concern. That was all he could hear from Quatre's voice. Concern and worry.

"It's a long story. One that I don't think I'm ready to tell yet. Its still too fresh."

"I understand."

"So what's been happening with you. I hear Trowa's back." A snort of bitter laughter came over the line and Heero frowned.

"Well, I delved into depression, got addicted to drugs and Trowa saved my life. I think that about explains it in a nutshell." Heero couldn't believe it. Quatre had been addicted to drugs?

"Drugs?"

"Yeah. I was on Angel Dust for five or six months."

"Why?"

"I had no one to talk to. You and Duo wouldn't return my calls and Trowa hadn't returned at that point." Heero wanted to beat himself over the head.

"I'm so sorry, Quatre. I'm so sorry." He could not change the past, but how he wished he could. If only he hadn't listened to Relena, believed her over Duo, none of this would have happened. He wouldn't have kicked Duo out and then chased after him. Duo wouldn't have gotten involved with drugs. He and Duo would have been home to return Quatre's calls and Quatre wouldn't have fallen into that depression and eventually taken drugs. Heero rubbed a hand over his face. This was all his fault.

"Its okay, Heero. It's not your fault."

"Yes it is."

"No it's not." Quatre's voice held no room for argument. "I made a choice. I could have very easily made another choice." Heero remained silent. Maybe when this whole thing was done he could believe Quatre, but for now . . . "So, how's Duo?" Heero couldn't hold back a sob.

"He's . . . I don't know where he is." He could tell Quatre the whole story, but after finding out that Quatre had used drugs, he was sure if it was a good idea. It might upset him too much, and he wouldn't be responsible for a relapse. "I can't find him."

"Why did he leave?" Heero tried to think of a plausible excuse so he wouldn't have to talk about the drugs. He couldn't tell Quatre.

"I don't know. He's . . . well, he's not exactly himself."

"How can I help?" Heero smiled through his pain. Even after all of the shit, Quatre still was there for him.

"I'm so sorry I was there to help, Quatre."

"You couldn't have known, Heero. You were busy with your own problems. But will you at least promise me that if you're going to disappear again you'll at least tell me?"

"Of course. In fact, once I find Duo, we'll come and visit. It's been too long."

"I agree. I'll call you if I find Duo." Heero slumped. Quatre had read his mind.

"Thank you."

"I hope you find him soon."

"Yeah, me too."

"Heero. I've got to go. I need to get ready for work. I have a big day today."

"I understand. I'll call you later."

"Good talking to you again. Bye."

"Bye." He hung up the phone with less weight on his shoulders. He looked around the room before deciding to go out and look for Duo again. Maybe this time he'd check the Airports and Spaceport. They might turn up something useful. He grabbed his keys and left.