Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ In the Arms of the Angel ❯ Quatre - 8 ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Part XVI

He stood and looked around at the people who made up the Board of Directors. They looked at him expectantly and he felt lighter with the knowledge that this would be the last time he would meet with them. He passed the small stack of papers he had brought in with him to the person to his right. He watched with a building interest as the papers were distributed around the conference room. When everyone had a copy, he cleared his throat nervously. He wiped his palms on his slacks as he addressed the Board.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Board. You are looking at my Letter of Resignation." He paused as a murmur trickled through the conference room as everyone shifted in their chairs. "Attached to the Letter I have made some recommendations as to my successor. I leave it to this Board to nominate and elect the next CEO. It is your choice. In the meantime, Dean Walterbenge will be the acting CEO.

"I no longer wish to head this company. I would rather leave the company in someone's hands that truly wants this position. I do not. My resignation is effective immediately. Dean has everything we were going to discuss today. Have a good day, Gentlemen." Quatre bowed his head the Board and turned away from the long conference table, each step becoming easier and easier to take. As he reached the door, he felt a hundred times lighter, and he felt as though he was floating as he closed the door behind him. "I'm free." He whispered to himself before heading to the elevator and to his office to pack up his things.

He was finally free.

He walked into his office only to be greeted by an irate Kelly.

"Where the hall were you? I've been waiting." Kelly snapped. Quatre mentally pictured her with steam coming out of her ears while her foot tapped impatiently. He hid his smile and picked up one of the boxes he had brought in earlier.

"I was in a Board meeting."

"You still haven't taken care of the Swiss Account. I demand--"

"You demand what, Kelly?" Quatre cut her off, dropping a book into the box and staring at her.

"Well . . . um . . . I . . ." She stammered.

"Kelly, if you really want to go be a bully, go back to grade school and steal some lunch money, because your antics have no place in a corporation, or any business at that. And I highly suggest that you clean up your act and quickly, because the next CEO isn't going to put up with your shit like I did."

"Quatre, watch your mouth!" Quatre ignored her and placed more books in the box. She stepped closer and pointed to the box. "What are you doing?" Quatre glanced up at her through his bangs as he continued to pack.

"I'm packing." She stared blankly at him. He said nothing.

"Why? And what did you mean the next CEO?" Quatre allowed himself a small smile before answering.

"I resigned, effective immediately."

"What?" Kelly's voice was shrill. "You can't do that!" Quatre laughed.

"Oh I can't, now, is that it? I have to have your permission, now?"

"No . . ."

"Its funny, you realize, because, what, three days ago you were telling me that you could have me removed! Make up your mind, or do you just want everything to happen for your own good?"

"I . . ."

"Kelly, you are barking up the wrong tree. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take this down to my car." He picked up the full box and moved toward the door.

"This isn't the end of this, Quatre." He didn't respond.

When he returned, three of his other sisters were waiting for him with Kelly in his old office. He walked right past them and picked up another box.

"Quatre, we heard that you had resigned. Why?" He looked up at Carly and smiled.

"I'm not happy here. I never wanted to a business man."

"You just want to leave us struggling." Kelly snapped.

"You will do just fine. Anyway, I already gave my recommendations to the Board. The choice is theirs."

"Where are you going to go, Quatre?" Carly asked concerned. "Will you be happy?"

"Oh yes. I will be very happy. I'm going to pursue a career in music."

"Ah, the bum of the family." Kelly snorted.

"I hope that you will be happy." Carly said sincerely.

"What about what Father wanted? You're his heir." Simone asked.

"No offense, but to hell with Father." He paused in his packing and leaned forward. "Didn't you ever feel offended because of his machosist views?" Simone nodded. "I would think that you would be happy. I'm giving you the opportunity to be what you want to be. Simone, I know that you can run this place with no problem. I also know that you want to do so."

"Yes. I've always wanted this company." She whispered.

"You now have the opportunity to have it. If the Board selects you, of course."

"I won't have you going against Father!" Kelly declared.

"Shut the fuck up, Kelly. I can't for one minute believe that you actually accept Father's views. He made judgements of people based off of whether they had a dick or tits. Do you really, honestly think that that's fair? That his judgement was just?" Kelly was mercifully silent.

"Are you going to keep in touch?" Rhiona asked. Quatre gazed sadly at her and shook his head.

"If any of you want a relationship with me you will seek me out in time. I've been hurt enough by all of you, that I really don't want anything from you. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is."

"Quatre, we love you." Carly put in. Quatre shook his head.

"I love you too, but I can't do this. If you accept me and like me for who I am, then you will seek me out as a friend. I don't want sisters. I want friends. If you can't accept that, then it ends here. I'm sorry, but I need to live my own life without all of you putting me down every chance you can get."

"I understand." Carly whispered. "I wish you luck." Simone put her hand on Quatre's arm.

"Thank you. I know you didn't do this for me, but thank you anyway. I'll make you proud."

"Go at least with our love, and our apology." Rhiona added.

"I will. And thank you." He picked up another box and moved toward the door. Kelly didn't say anything.

It had taken him the majority of the day to pack up his office, get everything in his car and finally into his apartment. Since Trowa wasn't due home for at least another half an hour, Quatre decided to start unpacking. He worked on one of his many boxes of books, gently and lovingly placing them in his bookcase. He opened the next box and began pulling out various files. He stacked them on top of his desk until he had emptied the box and then opened the bottom drawer of his desk. He sorted through the files, placing some of the unpacked files into the drawer. A flash of white caught his eye as he thumbed through the hanging files. He backtracked, pushing the files he had just flown through back. It was hidden in one of the files. A baggie of drugs.

Time seemed to slow down as he reached in to pull out the baggie. He held it up to the light, examining the fine powder. It called for him, enticing him to taste. He just stared at the drugs. It would be so easy. He had a good surface on his desk, and he could roll up a receipt to sniff with. His face twisted and he dropped the baggie on his desk with disdain.

"No." He had to say it out loud or he might not listen to himself. It had happened before when he was using the Dust at the beginning. He'd reason with himself. He rationalized that it really was okay to take the drugs. "No!" He grabbed the baggie and staggered into the kitchen, throwing the drugs violently on the counter. He spun around in a circle, looking for what he needed to do; as if the answer would be hanging in the air lit up like a neon sign. He blinked, the realization suddenly making itself clear in his fogged mind. He stalked out of the kitchen toward the guest bathroom. He had kept drugs in there too.

Fifteen minutes later, he had gathered a sizable pile of drugs on the kitchen counter. He had gone through his entire apartment looking for all of his old hiding places, anyplace he would have stashed his surplus of drugs. He stared at the drugs as they pleaded for him to try them.

"NO!" He grabbed a baggie and violently ripped off the tie that held the baggie closed. "Get the fuck away from me!" He upended the bag over the kitchen sink, shaking it until all of the Dust was in a pile in the sink. He reached under the counter to pull out the trashcan. He placed it by his feet and dropped the empty baggie into the trash. He reached for another baggie. He was muttering to himself when Trowa walked in calling out that he was home.

"Quatre?" Trowa stopped when he saw the pile of drugs on the counter. Quatre ignored him and grabbed another baggie. "Are you okay?" He could see Trowa rushing into the kitchen. He kept muttering to the damned drugs.

"Fuck you. I don't need you. I hate you." He hissed through clenched teeth, tossing the baggie in the trash.

"Quatre? Please talk to me." He looked up at Trowa as he reached for another bag. Trowa's eyes kept flicking back and forth from the drugs to Quatre's face and back again. It was obvious that Trowa was trying to keep calm and not jump to conclusions by the way his jaw would periodically tighten. "Please."

"I'm fine, Trowa." He ripped the tie off the bag and turned it upside down. "I'm quitting drugs." He saw Trowa's eyebrows draw together in confusion and worry.

"I thought that you quit a long time ago." Quatre shook his head.

"No, I just didn't use. There's a difference. This is me making my own decision to stop. I don't want them anymore." He rubbed the plastic together making sure that all of the drugs were out. He reached for the last baggie as he dropped the empty bag in the trash. "I'm done. And this is my public statement of that fact. This is official." Once the contents of the last bag had joined its brothers in the sink, he turned to face Trowa. Trowa was smiling.

Quatre turned back to the sink and grabbed the spray handle, turning on the tap. He began washing the powder down the drain. He watched as the powder swirled and diluted in the attacking water. He rinsed off the sides of the sink, methodically making sure that every last grain of Dust had been washed down the drain. Once satisfied, he shut off the tap and replaced the spray head. He turned to face Trowa again. He linked his fingers together behind his back and rested the back of his hands against his hips. His elbows bowed out to the sides. Trowa steeped up to him, sliding his hands between Quatre's sides and arms and rested his hands on Quatre's waist. He kissed Quatre's forehead.

"I am so incredibly proud of you." Quatre looked up at Trowa, a smile slowly growing on his face. He felt even lighter than when he had gotten home. This was all he needed. And it was what he wanted.

"I resigned." Trowa slouched so he could look levelly into Quatre's eyes.

"How long?" Quatre grinned.

"About an hour ago. It was effective immediately." Trowa smiled and kissed him, a small peck on the lips. Quatre leaned his head against Trowa's shoulder as he straightened.

"How do you feel?" Quatre closed his eyes and breathed in Trowa's scent.

"Wonderful."

"Well, I know you're wonderful. I was asking how you felt." He could hear the teasing tone in Trowa's voice and he laughed.

"I feel better than I have ever felt before. I feel free." Trowa arms tightened around him, but he pulled out of Trowa's embrace. He put one hand on the edge of the counter and the other on his hip. "I want to celebrate." Trowa smirked.

"Where do you want to go?"

"I don't care. You pick. Just take me somewhere to celebrate." Trowa kissed his forehead again.

"You got it."

______________________________

Quatre hung onto Trowa as they stumbled inside laughing at some stupid joke. Trowa spun him around the room in an impromptu dance. They fell onto the couch in a tangle of limbs.

"I had a wonderful time tonight, Trowa. Thank you." He was kissed before Trowa spoke.

"You're welcome, babydoll." Quatre giggled at the term of endearment. He stroked Trowa's face.

"Let's go to bed, sweetie. Tomorrow's Saturday, so we can both sleep in." Trowa grinned before pushing himself off of Quatre. Trowa slipped his arms under Quatre's body and picked him up. Quatre wound his arms around Trowa's neck and nuzzled his shoulder. Trowa dropped him, squealing, on the bed and crawled on top of him, slowly lowering himself on Quatre.

"Love you." Quatre cupped Trowa's face in his hands and gazed into the face of the man he was falling so hard for.

"I don't know if what I feel is love, but I do know that I am falling in love with you. I'll call it love, though." Trowa smiled and pretended to kiss the air. Quatre laughed and rose up to meet Trowa's lips. "I love you."