Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Inspiration ❯ untitled ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Inspiration
Part 5
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, don't sue.
Warning: yaoi, swearing, OOC, AU (somehow I forgot to mention that 'til now)
Description: Duo, a writer in a rut, finds himself some inspiration
~~~~~
Heero glanced up as his sister waltzed into the room before turning back to his computer. She was as hyper and bubbly as always, rambling on about something he barely paid any attention to. Most of the time what she was saying didn't really have an importance to him.
He ignored most of it until he heard one name that caught his attention and than his typing tapered off.
"...So than we all helped Duo with his writer's block-"
"Wait a minute! You went to Duo Maxwell's house?"
"Yup!" She bounced up and down on her feet. "He's so cool! Way different from what you'd expect from a famous person. And he liked my picture! He said that he was gonna frame it!"
"That's nice. But what were you doing at his place?" Heero wanted to strangle the girl. She shouldn't be wondering around, bothering poor authors that she happened to be obsessed with.
"We were bored," she shrugged. "He invited me over some time. I decided to take some initiative and headed there myself. I'm glad I went. He's really nice Heero! You should come with me some time." She smiled over at him. "From what I got he really liked that talk you had last week."
Heero shook his head. She was just trying to make him feel wanted. She was always doing things like that. Trying to get him out more, talking to people and just having fun. She felt guilty if she went out and had fun without him. Most of the time she would drag him along with her if she were allowed. Even if he didn't want to go.
"I'm tellin' the truth!" She insisted. "He really did like ya. You haven't been out since than. It's about time you started dating again. You never have any fun. I know that you had to take care of me before, but I've grown up. It's time that you found someone to be with. I'm not going to be here forever."
"I don't have time to date," Heero glared at his sister. "Besides that the chances of Duo being gay are very slim."
Her lips twisted into a bright smile, eyes shimmering mischievously. "Who said I was suggesting you date Duo?"
Heero flushed as he realized what he had just inadvertently let his sister know. "I-you said-it... I didn't mean that.... Oh never mind that!" He glared at her again. Heather was the only person that was ever able to do this to him. Pry information from him without him really realizing it until it was too late and than turn him into a stuttering fool. "I just don't have any time for dates."
She laughed, completely ignoring his glare. "Sure, sure. Whatever you say, Hee-chan, just keep saying that. You just might believe it someday."
His glare never left her as she skipped out of the room and upstairs to her room, making an awful lot of noise as she went. She was always so immune to his death glare while he had known others that considered themselves very brave waver when they were on the receiving end. It was annoying because it meant that he couldn't intimidate her into leaving his love life alone... Or lack of a love life.
Heero happened to like his status as being single and had no intentions of changing it. But his sister on the other hand was always coming up with some sort of scheme to get him out of the house. And in doing so, forcing him to socialize with could be love interests. And now it seemed that she had found someone who he could actually stand to be around and she was taking total advantage of that fact.
But still, he had to wonder what she had meant when she had said that Duo had really like the talk they had had. It wasn't as if the two had really talked about anything important. Just the other mans books and Heather's obsession.
And than this lead to other thoughts. Like 'Does he like me like a boyfriend?' and 'Is he really gay?' or the all important 'Is he single?' But of course they only lasted so long. Heero had gone for so long without a lover that it was hard to remember if he had ever really had one. True, he had friends that he saw as family, but there was a subtle difference. Family could fill certain spaces in ones heart but they couldn't add the warmth and joy to ones life a lover did.
He had been happy with just his friends for all these years; there was no reason why he couldn't just deal with the loneliness as he always did. They had always been there and always would be. Since his parents had died in a car accident when he was only 15 he had had only them and Heather. They had comforted him while he was grieving and left him alone when he needed space. He could depend on them for anything.
Sighing loudly, he turned back to his computer. He'd just have to see where all of this got him...
Heero knocked on the door in front of him, tapping his foot impatiently. There was a loud giggle followed by the reply of "Just a sec!" before Heather answered the door of Duo's apartment.
"Onii-chan!" she squealed and than yanked him inside.
"You were supposed to be home an hour ago," he told her, crossing his arms in front of his chest and glaring at her.
"I know and I was just about to call you," she fidgeted under his gaze, toying with the hem of her skirt. She was still dressed in her school uniform. "Duo's sick so I decided to take care of him."
Heero's anger faltered. Duo was sick?
Heather continued seemingly oblivious to his emotions, though, if he had been paying attention he would have noticed her eyes flash triumphantly. "He has a fever and a bad cough. It's just the flu and he'll get better eventually but that doesn't really make him feel any better right now. I gave him some noodle soup when I first got here but he was only able to drink the broth... Why don't you come see him? I'm sure he'd like to see someone besides me. I spend more time over here than I do at home anymore."
Before he had a chance to answer with the "no" that was on the tip of his tongue; she grabbed a hold of his forearm and literally dragged him towards a room down the hall on his right.
She opened the door and he spotted Duo lying in the center of a queen-sized bed, half covered in crumpled up tissues. His nosed was red and swollen, proving that the man really was sick. His eyes were closed but by his expression Heero could tell that he wasn't really asleep.
"Hey, Duo," Heather said softly as she sat down on the bed next to him. "I just brought Hee-chan in to prove that you really are sick. He got worried when I was late and came here to check on me."
The man in the bed cracked open his eyes and searched the room until he found where Heero stood near the door. Heero nodded in greeting but said nothing.
Duo chuckled dryly. "A little protective? Wish I had that when I was her age..." Duo's voice was rough from his coughing and Heero had no doubt that those few words had hurt.
"Can't help it," Heero shrugged. "There's a lot of bad in this world. I don't want Heather having to deal with it yet. At least if she's here I know she's all right. If she hadn't have been here tonight there would have been hell to pay."
"You think she'd safe here?" Duo was surprised. "She's only 16 and I'm 25. You don't think I'd try anything?"
Heero opened his mouth to respond but was beat to it by Heather. "Of course he does. Heero knows I'm not that stupid and besides, you're sorta like family to me. Almost as close as 'nii-chan." She smiled over at her brother and Heero gave her a small smile in return. She turned back to Duo. "He trusts me enough to decide who's safe and who's not. And you wouldn't hurt me."
Duo grinned at them as wide as he could. "That means a lot. I haven't had that many friends in a while."
"You can always trust the both of us!" Heather proclaimed, beaming done at her older friend. Than her face turned stern. "You should eat something. You should be able to by now. Heero can make a really good dinner," she turned to her brother again. "Can't you Heero." She turned on her pleading look and Heero was unable to resist. He nodded. "See! You'll find something in the kitchen. Now go make something for our ailing patient!"
He left the room, suppressing a smile. No doubt Heather was babying the man. Fluffing the pillows and straightening the sheets. Putting the used tissues in the trash. That was usually the treatment he received when he was ill. And how he loved it! To just sit back and have things done for him instead of doing them himself was refreshing.
He searched the 'fridge and found plenty of fresh fruits so decided to make a fruit salad. It was quick and easy and it would help Duo fight off the flu. He didn't feel much like making a mess of the braided mans kitchen and he also didn't feel like being here too late. He had to go to work tomorrow to drop off his new program. Normally he could have just stayed out and than slept in, but the company needed the system tomorrow and he hadn't worked on it for over a year just to have it all ruined by staying out late for one night. Not even if it was for Duo.
Heero bit his lip. He was becoming too attached to the other man. He couldn't afford to let his indifference slip. Not after what had happened last time...
But he couldn't think about that now. It was the time or the place for such thoughts.
He carried the plate holding the salad into the room, setting it down on Duo's lap. The man eyed it hungrily and than began to devour it, stopping to take a drink every few moments. Heather giggled at the vigor with which it was being put away.
"A bit hungry, are we?" She teased.
"Hell yeah! I haven't been able to eat in the last two days."
"Two days!?" She exclaimed. "I knew I should've come over here. But I had an important assignment due and wanted to get it finished."
Duo set down his fork to glare at her. "It's all right. I've gone longer than that without anything. I lived on the streets before I was picked up by social services and was adopted. I'll live. School's more important than some writer who can't seem to figure out what to do with his plot is. Make sure you do good in all your classes."
"But-"
"He's right," Heero interrupted her. "Make sure that your school works taken care of before you go anywhere. Even if it means not being able to take care of Duo. I know that sounds a little selfish but there are others who are just as good at taking care of Duo as you are. You can get someone else who isn't busy."
The girl visible brightened. "You mean, like you? You're never busy and you work at home. You can come and check on him while I'm at school tomorrow. After you drop off that software of course."
Heero wanted smack himself in the head. "I...I guess."
"That's really not necessary," Duo protested. "I'll be fine."
Heather turned to give him a look that closely resembled one of Heero's death glares. "Yes it is. You'll end up just lying there. You'll get nothing to sleep and your room'll end up as messy as it was when I showed up this afternoon. Heero doesn't mind."
Duo looked at her skeptically before turning to Heero.
Heero sighed and nodded. "It's alright. It's not like I don't have anything to do anyway."
"Fine."
Heather grinned happily. "'Kay than! We gotta go now! Bye, bye Duo!" She grabbed onto Heero and began to drag him out of the room. He barely had a chance to say goodbye Duo.
Oh well, he'd see him tomorrow anyway.
TBC
~~~~~
Shade: Figured I'd have finished this sooner, but I missed a week of school and've been trying to catch up. Oh well. It's got another twist. What happened last time Heero became involved with someone? Perhaps we'll find out next time. This fic is kinda writing itself. The first chapter came while I was sitting at me sister's computer. I was really bored. Now I'm gonna go crawl into bed. I'm feeling no better than Duo does in this chapter. Lying in bed is so damn boring.