Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Inspiration ❯ Attack of the Rabid Fangirls ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Inspiration
Part 4
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, Don't sue.
Warning: yaoi, swearing, OOC,
Description: Duo, a writer in a rut, finds himself some inspiration
~~~~~
Heather looked back at the address scribbled onto her piece of paper to the address on the side of the building. It was right, but for the life of her she couldn't figure out why Duo would live in such a seedy place as this.
It had been a week now since she and her brother had run into the famous writer. Heero had become rather obsessive when it came to getting info about the other man from her. Though he tried valiantly to hide it. And he most likely thought he had. And Duo himself was always dropping subtle questions about him. Everything was going according to plan.
"This is it you guys," she told the few friends she had brought with her for the visit. Diane of course, plus Alexis and Catherine.
It was a bit of a surprise visit. Duo didn't know that they'd be showing. But he had invited them over some time, so she decided to take advantage of the fact that she and the others had nothing else to do. Not to mention that everyone was dying to meet him.
The door was being held by a large rock, probably put there by a kid that didn't want to use the inter-com in order to get back into their home. She was glad for this. She really wanted this to be a surprise.
The building was four stories high, brown and totally non-descript. It seemed to be out of character for the man who lived here. She would have figured he would have picked a nice little condo near the bay. This place looked cheaper than anything she had lived in.
They made there way up to the top floor where Duo's apartment was located and she knocked on the door
"Just a sec!" The door muffled the reply.
A few seconds latter the door was opened and a very surprised Duo Maxwell looked back at them. By the looks of it he hadn't been planning on going anywhere. His feet were bare and he was dressed in a pair of faded jeans and a button-up top left open, revealing a tantalizing view of his chest and stomach. Her friends ogled him while she grinned at him. She was trying to set him up with her brother after all.
"Hello there Heather," he smiled. "Wasn't expectin' to see ya."
She shrugged. "We were bored so decided to stop by." She turned to her friends. "This is Diane, Catherine and Alexis. They're all big fans of yours, too."
He smiled at the girls as he backed up to let them enter. "Well, your all welcomed to come in. I don't get much company so don't mind how messy it is. I was just workin' on the next book of the Gundam series so haven't had much time to clean."
She nodded and looked around. Despite the mans words the place didn't seem to be in much of a mess. It was a fairly large place considering the exterior. There was a huge plush couch sitting in front of the TV and a chair to it's left. She had never seen so much black in her entire life. The trimming, the curtains, furniture and rug were all black. All accept the walls themselves and a computer that sat on a desk in the corner. There were a few soda cans laying on the coffee table and she spotted a pair of boots shoved half way under the chair but other than that she saw nothing that could be considered a mess.
"Nice place," she commented. "When I turned thirteen I wanted to paint my bedroom black but Heero sad no. He said I'd 'grow out of it.' Which I did of course. I've learned over the years that Hee-chan's always right. Except when it comes to his own happiness."
"Really?" Duo's eyebrows had risen. "Are you one of those meddling sisters? Always sticking your nose where it doesn't belong?"
Heather snorted. "If I didn't do it Heero wouldn't have a life beyond his computer and getting his next job done. Between designing security systems for computers and a date he'd pick the computer. That's why I was surprised when he didn't seem at all happy about leaving the restaurant last week. I didn't know he was such a Gundam Wing fan."
Duo blinked violet eyes at her and she was yet again victorious. 'I never read a person wrong. Not ever.'
He shook his head and than seemed to remember the other three girls in room. He smiled at them warmly. "Make your selves comfortable. I'll just go get y'all somethin' to drink." He slipped away, entering an arched doorway at the other side of the room.
"What a hunk," Alexis finally sighed, letting her excitement bubble over now that Duo was out of the room. "I wish I could see more of him."
"If I have anything to say about it we will," Heather told her. "If my plan works out accordingly he should be moved in with me and nii-chan by the end of the month."
"You really think they suit each other that much?" the small brunette was disappointed. "I suppose. They do say opposites attract. Which is why Max and Odin make such a good couple."
"Speaking of which, we hafta find a way to get Duo to get rid of Rose. She is such a stalker, following poor Odin around where ever he goes," Diane said.
The others nodded and they whispered back and forth between each other until Duo came back in, a tray of drinks held in his hands. She noticed that he had buttoned his top, causing a few disappointed sighs from her friends.
"It's just Pepsi," he explained. "I'm a major addict. If I don't get caffeine in my system I start to go through withdrawal and since coffees so much stronger I go for this."
Heather nodded as she sipped at her drink. Pepsi was her favorite and could understand why Duo liked it so much. It had a bite of sorts, but tasted awful when flat.
Almost nervously Heather pulled a piece of paper out of the binder she always carried with her. "Mr. Maxwell?"
"Just call me Duo," he grinned. "I feel so old when you call me Mr. I'm only about nine years older than you."
"Duo? I drew a picture of the pilots and I want you to have it."
"Really?" Duo was interested. "Let's see." She handed the drawing to him and he stared at it intensely. "This is cool. You used Heero and I as models for Odin and Max. That's cool. The others are actually a lot like I imagine them. Though the blonde looks a little to fragile and innocent and Triton's hair kinda sticks in front of hi face."
"I used some of my brothers friends," she explained. "Up until I met you I didn't have a model for Max so there always seemed to be something missing. Quatre's not really as fragile as he looks. And from the stories I'm heard about him and Trowa he's not as innocent either."
"Well, I really like this picture. I couldn't draw to save my life. I think I'll get this framed and put it up on my wall."
She blushed. "It' not really that good."
"Modesty will get you no where," he chuckled. "I couldn't even write as well as you draw when I was your age. You have a future in art, Heather. Hold on to that and don't let go. Take it from someone who's done the same and hasn't regretted it a day in his life."
"What's it like being famous?" Alexis asked.
"I don't feel any different from when I wasn't." Duo said. He studied the rim of his glass, expression thoughtful. "I've never really thought about it. It's not often I get recognized. And even than its not that big a deal. Book signings are wild, but other than that I lead a very boring life." He sighed and set the drink aside. "Of course, don't let me give you a bad impression. I'm sure if I actually made an effort to get out more often it'd be more exciting. Plus the money isn't bad - when you don't have writers block."
"We can help with that!" Alexis bounced as she sat in the plush couch. "We can be your muses! Just bounce some ideas off of us!"
He smiled at her slyly. "You just want spoilers for the next book. But I suppose I do need some help. And you'll find out anyway."
He moved over to his computer and quickly opened what he had last written of the story. He printed off the last couple of pages and than handed it to the bright-eyed girl.
"Pretty much all that's happened since the last you've read is that Heero saved Rose and than Max's best friend was kidnapped by OZ. They were trying to use her as a hostage. He went against Odin's direct orders to save her. Now he's been captured and I don't know what should happen."
Alexis read through it, the rest of the girls looking over her shoulder.
Heather read the last paragraph and her face broke out into an almost evil grin.
//Odin's fingers flew across the keyboard, moving far too quickly for the others to keep up. He paid no attention to their obvious amazement as he continued for his desperate search for information. He had to find Max. The other young man was important. Both to the mission and to him...//
"You do realize that last sentence more than hints at a slash pairing?"
"Yeah..." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I just couldn't help it. It was so perfect for the situation."
"I have an idea," Alexis told him. Her chocolate brown eyes sparkled with excitement. She was the writer in the group. "That details haven't quite worked themselves out yet, but I've pretty much figured out the basics. Going along with your slash implications, Odin could have ordered Duo not to rescue Vai because he didn't want him to get hurt. He could blame himself for what happened and that's also why he's so desperate to find Max. Vai was used as bait to capture Max. Odin finds this out while hacking and immediately takes off to rescue him. He gets him back and than explains why he was so insistent about keeping Max from going on the mission." She grinned, adjusting her glasses as she began to silently praise herself.
Heather's brow creased as she thought about that. It seemed a little too soon for her. It didn't quite match with the rest of the books; it had too much romance and not enough action. Which was okay for fan fiction but not for an actual novel that was supposed to be published. "There's not enough to it. Sure, I'd probably read it if you wrote it. But I'd hate to read it in one of Duo's books. It's too OOC. Odin wouldn't just come out like that and tell him about his feelings. He'd be denying them at first. Hiding them behind his anger. I'd think he'd probably blow up at Max for disobeying him. Than do something stupid like running to Rose or something."
"He wouldn't do that either," Duo said with a shake of his head. "He doesn't actually like Rose. I've been careful not to actually make the pairing official just in case the dingbats changed their minds. He only saved her for the peace of the world. If people assumed that there's somethin' between the two than that's their problem."
"But why didn't Odin just shoot her that time at the docks?" Alexis asked confuse.
Diane snorted. "'Cause Max intervened, remember? That's how they first met. Max shot him in order to save Rose. I think that's the stupidest thing he did through the entire series."
"Doesn't anyone like Rose?" Duo asked, amuse.
"Not anyone we know," Heather shrugged. "But than there are a lot of weird people out there."
"I know one person who likes her and that's my best friend Hilde. Vai's actually based on her. She's like the sister I never had."
"It's just 'cause we're a bunch of slash freaks," Alexis commented distractedly as she skimmed through the story again. She sighed and set the papers aside. "I can't figure out anything else. I think that's probably 'cause I'm used to fan fiction, not the real thing." She looked at Duo. "Odin really wouldn't go to Rose but would he go to someone else? Zech's maybe?"
"Zech's?" Duo couldn't really see this. But than he was biased to OdinxMax. "I doubt it. They're enemies."
She sighed again. "I'm just grasping at straws here. I have no clue."
"'S alright," Duo assured her with a smile. "You've helped a lot. The wheels are already turning."
Everyone jumped as there was a beep and Catherine looked down at her watch sheepishly. "Sorry," she said. "I set that so that I'd know when to leave. I have to baby-sit. One of Quatre's sisters is gong out for the evening, so Trowa volunteered me."
"I thank God I wasn't around when that happened," Heather giggled. "Heero probably would have done the same to me."
Catherine climbed to her feet, reddish curls swishing around her face. "I really have to go. If I'm late my brother'll kill me. He hates if I make a bad impression on Quatre's family."
Heather looked down at her watch with a sigh. "We all should get going. Heero hates when he doesn't know where I am. He's over protective." She climbed to her feet and the other two did the same. "It was nice seeing you gain, Duo. The spoilers were an added bonus."
"It was a nice surprise having company," Duo smiled. He led them to the door and let them out. "I'd love to see you all again."
"That'd be nice," Heather called with a wave.
She grinned happily as her friends began to talk excitedly. 'Faze two complete. On to faze three...'
TBC
~~~~~
Shade: The ending was a little rushed. I was trying to finish before I was forced to go to bed. I had writers block for a little bit there, and I was kinda busy. Now it's kinda worn off, so I'm lucky. Expect more soon! I think it's about time we had a visit from Heero... Oh! And yes, Catherine is the Catherine. Trowa's sister. It's an AU. I can make her younger than Tro-chan if I wanna. =P