Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Inspiration ❯ Odin's Revelations ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Inspiration
Part 8
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, don't sue.
Warning: yaoi, swearing, OOC, AU
Description: Duo, a writer in a rut, finds himself some inspiration
~~~~~
Duo sat on the guest bed watching Heather pace over the top of his laptop. The girl was getting annoying even if he wouldn't admit it, even under torture. She had been doing that for what seemed like hours now and it was distracting him. He needed to get some work done!
"Okay what's wrong and can you stand still?"
She jumped, startled by the sudden question, before turning to him with wide, uncertain eyes. "Well... There's this guy at school and..."
Duo sighed and set his computer aside. "You like this guy, am I right?"
"Yeah," she nodded and began to play with the material of her T-shirt. "Well, he asked me out and I said yes. Now I dunno how to tell Heero. I promised myself that when I started seriously dating a guy I'd tell him. He's my 'nii-chan and I want him to like Alec. But..."
"But you're afraid of how he'll react," he finished for her again. She looked at him, surprised. "It's easy to figure out Heather. If you honestly like this guy and you think that this relationship could get serious it's only natural that you'd want tell the person you love the most. But Heero is overprotective. He might not like the 'Alec' at first, but at least if you tell him, you won't be hiding it, like it's something bad. Even if Heero's a bit upset at first, he'll cool off eventually. In fact if I had known you for longer I may have been upset."
"But why?" She sounded frustrated as she sat at the foot of his bed. "I'm just growing up! Everyone does! Most of the other girls have been dating for the last couple of years!"
Duo winced as the headache that had seemed to disappear made itself known. "Wanna watch the volume?" he asked and she blushed before stuttering an apology. "Please, if you're gonna tell him, just do it. Don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure he won't go after your boyfriend with a knife."
"You sure?" she stood hesitantly. "Heero sometimes acts before he thinks no matter how calm he appears. It's all just a mask. I think it started as a way to deal with the death of our parents. But... I guess I'll just hafta to this. Heero wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone, so I guess I shouldn't be so worried."
"Just go!" He motioned towards the door. "If ya don't I'll boot ya out there myself. And it should teach you for making me take that awful stuff. Plus I embarrassed myself in front of all your brothers friends."
"It worked. You're feeling a lot better aren't you? Besides, I'm sure they're not gonna hold it against you." Some of her tension seemed to have seeped away and she left the room without waiting for an answer. It was a good thing too. If she had have stayed much longer Duo suspected she wouldn't have left at all.
He pulled his computer back onto his lap with a sigh of relief. He shouldn't these things distract him. There was still about three chapters left to go on his story and on a week to write them in if he wanted to stick with this publisher. And the plot was killing him. He'd gone along Heather's idea that after saving Max, Odin had freaked out and yelled at him. Then Max had left the other pilots and had worked solo for a little while. The Deathscythe pilot was still on the side of the colonies it was just that he wasn't working with the other pilots. He refused to.
Until a major battle and now Odin was close to death and had just asked Max to come in to speak with him before he actually died. Duo figured he could either have Odin die and finally end the series or have Odin confess his feelings for Max and have a sort of sequel thing. Like their children or people they trained in the future. He really did like the whole universe that he had created and didn't know if he was prepared to just let it taper off. He had started this story when he was a teenager and it would be like losing something special to him. Besides there were other possibilities for all of their futures. He could write the pilots' histories or write something explaining their enemies.
Actually that wasn't all that bad an idea. It might actually be a good idea to write the history of Zechs Marquis. He was the brother of Rose even if he fought against the colonies. Plus it would explain exactly what had happened to whole Marquis family. How they had been murdered and what had been going on in their minds when it happened. It would also better explain why Zechs had turned out the way that he did. Seeing your entire family (except a stalker-ish sister) murdered in front of your eyes could really screw up your mental state.
But he was swerving completely off topic here. He wasn't finished the book and it was important that he did. He opened the file again and studied what he had managed to type before confronting Heather.
//Max looked down at the almost fragile looking form in the bed and wanted to run away. Now pale skin stood out starkly against a frame of dark hair. Cool, almost blue lips were pressed in a frown of pain and eyes were clenched shut. The crisp white hospital sheets only added to the effect of helplessness and Max did not like it one bit.
This couldn't be Odin. Not the Odin he knew. The Japanese teen should be berating him for not being there when he was needed most. Not lying in a hospital bed, looking completely helpless.
In Max's mind this situation was entirely his fault. He had left the group. All they would have needed at that battle was one more pilot and no one would have been injured. But he had been too far away to reach the site that it had happened in. By the time he had arrived most of OZ had already retreated and Odin had already been taken away to be treated. Max had been listening to his com. unit before arriving and had heard how the incident had happened. Being able to hear everything but unable to stop it had been the worst experience of his life.
The long haired pilot had to swallow down the lump that had formed in his throat before speaking. Even than there was a slight tremble in his voice. "Triton said you wanted to speak to me..."
Pain filled eyes cracked open and Odin winced as the light caused his head to throb painfully. Odin wanted to smile at the other boy, to reassure him that it hadn't been his fault, but he just couldn't get his muscles to go along with it. After a few moments of silence he opened his mouth to speak. "Tha's right," he said, inwardly cringing at the roughness of his own voice. "I wan'ed ta tell ya somethin' 'fore 'm gone."
He watched as amethyst eyes widened and filled with tears. Max rushed over next to him and reached out to take his hand, but let it fall to his side as he remembered the pain that Odin was no doubt in. "You aren't gonna die! You've been through worse than this and pulled through!"//
Duo sat staring at the screen, pondering what to do next. He had no clue what he should have Odin say next. Which decision should he go with? And plus he was wondering if this sounded a bit too unlikely. Odin had always been emotional under the surface, but maybe this was going a bit too far.
But he supposed he rather liked it like this and if the publisher wanted him to change it they could just kiss his ass. This was his work, his way of expressing himself. He had just gotten more than enough proof that showed that he wouldn't lose all that many fans and could even end up gaining some in the long run.
So he decided to have Odin live. It would have been kind of weird offing his favorite character. Especially since he'd come to think of the boy as being Heero. That'd be creepy. Writing down Max's mourning over Odin. It would be kinda like pretending Heero had died and it his reaction.
//"Ya know 's well as I do tha' w're no' immort'l," Odin closed his eyes and tried to get the word he wanted to say out. His words were slurred from the pain and he was beginning to wonder if Max could even understand them. "'m in love wit' ya."
He looked up to see the other teen staring down at him, mouth hanging open and eyes taking up an impossible amount of his face. Was this a good or bad reaction? He was good with interpreting emotions like anger and hate, but this situation was way out of his league.
Finally, Max seemed to regain himself. "Then ya hafta survive! You can't tell me somethin' like that and just leave me here! Odin, if you leave me now, I think I might die."
Odin watched helplessly as the boy that had been the first to ever befriend him brake into tears. He wanted so badly to climb out of the bed and tell him everything was going to be all right, but he was seeing spots as it was. And it wouldn't be true. He didn't figure it would be long before he lost himself to Death. It was pure will keeping him from becoming unconscious.
"'m sorry," he croaked out. "I di'n't mean ta."
And with those barely audible words he felt himself slip into the void, completely against his will.//
Duo nearly cursed as he noticed the tears that were welling up in his eyes. Talk about getting carried away.
It was then that Heather decided to make her reappearance. She stopped a little short as she noticed his tears and stood staring at him.
"Ah... Is somethin' wrong?"
He shook his head and made a helpless gesture towards his laptop. "Odin's dying."
She nearly had a coronary. "What?! You're NOT killing off Odin! I'll beat you to a bloody pulp! And get a few other friends to join me, too."
"I said he's dying, not that that was absolutely what's gonna happen," he saved the file and pushed the computer away again. "But never mind that, What happened with Heero?"
She sighed and sat at the end of his bead, legs crossed underneath her. "I told him he freaked for a but and then we worked everything. I think that was the most emotionally tiring conversation I've ever had. One minute we're yelling at each other, the next laughing and then crying."
Duo blinked. "Heero was crying?"
"No, but he certainly came the closest I've seen him in years."
"So, ya gonna be dating this dude any time soon?"
"Friday night," her expression turned mischievous. "You gonna be goin' out with Hee-chan any time soon?"
Duo blushed and wanted to dive under the covers. "No!"
She grinned at him and he rather wished that she hadn't come back. "Me thinks the lord doth protest too much. I've seen way you look at him. Admit it. You like him, don't you."
This time he really did hide under the blanket. "I ain't admitin' to nothin'!"
She giggled and just gave him a firm swat on the rump, which had been wiggling around under the blankets. "Sure, whatever. I ain't that gullible. Now I hafta go call the others and tell 'em about this rather amusing turn of events."
"You are not telling your friends that I have a thing for your brother!"
"No," she turned as she reached the door and he glared at her from a tiny peeking hole in the covers. "I'm going to tell them you're staying here. Though I might call up a reporter that #1 bestseller novelist Duo Maxwell is going after a male computer geek."
"Can we say 'dead girl walking'?"
She just turned and left, leaving Duo to wonder if she'd really do such a thing.
TBC...
~~~~~
Shade: I noticed I hadn't written a lot of the story recently so I decided Duo needed to work on it. Zechs' real name is Zechs cause I couldn't figure out anything else 'sides Peacecraft and since Relena is gonna show up soon I could use that. Anyone surprised that I finished another chapter so soon after the last one was posted? I am. This is I little more than half finished I think. Already planning out the lemon scene and DS promised to help me, so it shouldn't be so bad. And I do know that I have written a chapter centered on Heather in a while but I didn't want to have to go through the whole sappy sibling scene. Especially since I'd kill my brother before I sat down and had a decent conversation with him.