Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Inspiration ❯ The Highschool Experience ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Inspiration
Part 9

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, don't sue.
Warning: yaoi, swearing, OOC, AU
Description: Duo, a writer in a rut, finds himself some inspiration.

~~~~~

"And so it seemed that that Hitler was the best answer for the German people. He was helping to end the Depression for his people and bringing back the honour that had been lost with the sighing of the Treat of Versailles. But the people who helped elect him into power were surprised when they could not control him..."

Heather sat at her desk staring at a spot on the wall just above the teachers head. If it was any other teacher she might actually find this subject interesting, but since it was Mr Jones most of the class was snoring merrily away. Too bad the old goat had taken to singling her out or she'd have joined them.

So instead of letting herself drift off she let he gaze wander the room. Brian, the class clown, was tying little knots in Kate's hair as the girl slept. Craig was sitting stiffly in his chair as he watched the teacher with faked enthusiasm. It was no wonder the boy had the best marks in the class. With a smirk she also notice the faint snores that seemed to be coming from Diane's desk beside her. Sometimes her friend snored so loud that she woke herself up. Which was why Diane usually ended up kicked out of the room during a sleep over.

It was just too bad Alec wasn't in this class. Then she'd at least have someone to stare dreamily at. She was a teenager and she wanted to live that to it's fullest. She only had another two years before she would be going off to college. She wanted to be able to look back on her highschool years and feel that she'd really been able to have fun. To remember her highschool sweetheart and the friends she'd had. The things she'd been interested in and the teachers that tormented her. Boyfriends were part of the teenage experience. It was when you started really noticing the opposite sex. Things were no longer like the innocent crushes of a child. You were old enough to make mistakes and have to pay for them. She did not want to make any mistakes, but she wanted to experience the dating scene. She liked Alec. Alec liked her. The only thing that made sense was to start a relationship.

Of course she knew how unlikely this would last for more than a few months. Relationships were usually fleeting at this age. People were constantly breaking up and then find someone new. It was just something that seemed natural at this age, to experience as much as possible. Keeping up with who was dating who was actually fairly interesting. Some of the couples just seemed so unlikely. Like Alex and Brett. Alex was the intellectual, glasses perched on her nose and books clutched protectively against her chest. Brett was sporty, a track star, only opening a book when he was instructed to by a teacher. But they seemed happy together. Alex was always helping Brett with his homework and Brett was the only one who could get Alex out of her room and into the sunlight. They just seemed perfect for each other.

It was another fountain of emusement for them. They way the two fawmed over each other. They were bother rather shy and hated even the thought of doing anything that would disrupt what they had together. It was by far the most likely relationship to last past high school.

The rest of the group was virtuously single. Trowa was rather protective of his sister, almost as bad as Heero was with her. And Diane just didn't want anything to do with guys at this point. She'd gone out with a guy for a little while in ninth but had broke up with him when it had gotten serious. She'd said she wasn't ready for it yet and hadn't even looked at another guy since. The pore boy she'd broken up with had followed her around for at least a month afterward, trying desperately to make her change her mind. He'd really thought they were destined for each other.

Well, he had moved and that had ended that.

Heather wasn't so sure how Heero was going to react when Alec came to pick her up that evening. It would be their first date and she wanted it to be perfect. Knowing her brother he'd probably try and frisk the poor boy. Of course Duo was still there to keep him in line. The older man had helped her out a lot since he'd come to stay. Heather just felt really sorry that he was leaving tomorrow.

Which was why she'd be staying at Diane's tonight. She wanted them to be alone all night so that something would finally happen. If nothing did happen she'd end up strangling either one or both of them in frustratuon. Duo'd been staying almost a week now. He was healthy, had been for a few days now. She saw the way they'd look at each other. If Duo didn't end up staying she'd never forgive Heero for throwing away his chance at happiness. Duo was perfect. He balanced off Heero's stoic behaviour in a way she couldn't. Heero acted more alive when with Duo than he ever did with her or even with his friends.

She glanced at the clock above the door and was relieved to descover there was only five minutes until the end of class. It was going to be one hell of a long day. She had math next and than tech after lunch break. The last class of the day was art, which happened to be both her favorite and best.

She gathered her things together, giving Diane a gentle shake. "Bell's gonna go."

The blonde blinked at her before turning to glance blurrily at the clock. "Thanks."

Diane got her stuff as well and they left together as the bell rang, making their way to their lockers. The hallways were filled with the same navy slacks and skirts as every day. White blouses and dress shirts and navy vests, a matching tue for the boys. Heather hated the uniform. It had absolutely no originalitly in it, but she had no chance. This school had the best art courses in the area. Heero was paying a hefty price to send her here and she'd be greatful no matter what.

She dropped off her history textbook, grabbed her math work and headed towards her next class. She was greeted there by Cathy and the two sat down near the front to chack over their homework from the night before.

"When's Alec picking you up?" the redhead whipered about half way through the lesson.

"About eight," Heather informed her friend. "He's s'posed to take me to dinner and than to see a movie."

"Sounds fun."

Heather grinned and turned back to her work. It would be fun. If she had anything to say about it, that is.




She was right to worry about how Heero would react when Alec came to pick her up. He was his usual anti-social self, glaring daggers at her date until she was about to give him a swat. Duo was in the kitchen making dinner at that point and she wasn't sure if he'd be out to save the two of them.

As Heero glared at Alec, Alec fidgeted and she began to pray to whatever deity that happened to be out there watching that she'd be able to survive this. And just maybe she could have some help? Please?

"Is this your date, Heather?"

She turned to see Duo and nearly fainted with relief. 'Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!'

"Yeah. Duo this is Alec, Alec this is Duo Maxwell. He was staying with us for a while."

Alec stared at Duo with round brown eyes. "The writer?"

Duo grinned and nodded. "The one and only. It's nice to meet so many kids who recognize my name. It's how I met Heather here."

Heather grabbed a hold of Alec's hand, seizing her opportunity to escape her brother. "C'mon, 'fore Duo's ego becomes too inflated and he smothers himself." She dropped a peck on both Heero and Duo's cheeks and took off like a chicken with it's head cut off, Alec being dragged behind her.

She slowed just as they came to the end of the block and turned to him. "Sorry 'bout that, bu at the rate we were goin we'd've never gotten out of there. Heero's a little over protective."

"'s alright. I was kinda relieved anyways," he admitted. "But how did it happen that Duo Maxwell came to stay with you. It's said that he hardly ever leaves his house except to visit his publisher."

"And you'd know 'cause you're fathers an publisher himself," she added. "I met him a month ago. me 'n' Hee-chan were at lunch in the tiny café on Front St and I saw him and asked for his autograph. After that I contacted him and we became sorta friends. Then on Monday night I went to see him and he was in bed sick. I had to take care of him. He looked so helpless laying there under his sheets. So the next day Heero went to check on him for me and brought him home 'cause he didn't seem much better."

He gave a low whistle. "I'm guessing that was making a long story short. It's rather interesting. You wouldn't even guess how much my father would give to meet him."

Something sparked in the back of her mind and she smirked. "Well, he just might be in luck. Duo was talking about looking for a new publisher a while back."

That caught him by surprise and he stopped dead in his tracks. "You mean he could go to my father?"

"Yeah, but there are a few things that hafta be considered. The reason Duo's looking for a new editor is because this one refuses to accept a homosexual relationship between two of the main characters. You're dad'd hafta put up with that."

"You mean the thing between Max and Odin?" she blinked at him, surprised. She hadn't even known he read the Gundam Wing series. He grinned at her. "I've been a fan for a while now. It's hard not to notice it. Rose always seemed to be thrown in there for the hell of it."

She nodded. "They forced him to put her in there."

They fell into a comfortable silence, Heather's fingers still entwined with his as she led him towards the more populated parts of town.

Neither had a car or enough of a license to drive so they were stuck walking to any destination, but that just added to the fun of the night. It wasn't quite warm enough to make them uncomfortable but it wasn't cold enough to make them overly cold. The weather was being freaky. It was May and one minute it was snowing the next everyone was about ready to dive into a swimming pool. It was best that they take full advantage of the fairly normal temperature while they could.

The night went by without any problems. Dinner was nice and they movie was a little boring but she could live with that. It was only ten o'clock by the time the exited the theater and she didn't have to be home for another half an hour so they decided to walk around for a bit.

"Ya know," she spoke softly. "It's kinda funny how much we're alike. I mean I never knew you were a Gundam fan 'til tonight but we're still a lot alike. I met you in art in the ninth grade. It was your best subject, too."

"And you hated me," he laughed. "All we ever did was compete for the best artist in the class. I was doing it 'cause it was expected of me to do good in art class 'cause my mother had been a painter. You just loved what you did. When I realized that I let you have your wish."

She raised a brow at him. "So you let me get better grades then me. I thought it was 'cause I was a better student than you."

"Well," he shrugged. "That could be it."

She reached over and pinched him. "Be careful or I'll start hating you again."

"I'm so sorry m'lady. I shall be as best as can be for the rest of the night," he bowed mockingly, face completely serious but eyes sparkling with laughter. "I promise, on my honor, that you shall reach home with a smile curving your lips."

She giggled and as he promised, she was smiling when they reached her home. He bid her farewell with a small peck and she opened the door softly.

And then closed it quickly.

That may have been supposed to have happened when she was gone, but she did not want to hear it when she got home! Heero was her brother and the mental pictures were not the prettiest things in the world. Knowing that her brother had someone to keep him warm at night and actually hearing and thinking about it in more detail were totally different things.

Thank God she had spare clothes at Diane's and wouldn't have to sneak up to her room.

~~~~~

Shade: Don't worry! I'm gonna write the next chapter as what Duo and Heero were doing during Heather's date. Lemon in the next chapter. Took me a bit longer to write this then I figured. Having a ton of computer problems. Schools out and I've been watching way too much TV. Jerry Springer two times a day is not healthy.