Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Love Lost and Found Again ❯ Breaking point ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Short chapter this time. Oh, so I was thinking about putting a length limit to this fic, just so people would know when it was going to end. It's probably going to be something around 12 chapters and perhaps an extra epilogue at the end. This is by far the longest story I've ever written down. Oh and if I haven't mentioned before, these haven't been beta-read but I've been checking over myself for grammar mistakes and such.
Disclaimers: I don't own Gundam Wing.
 
Chapter 10: Breaking point
 
(Duo's POV)
 
Duo had said goodbye to Felix, who had sniffed and hugged “Daddy Duo” tightly and made him promise to come back, and he left a quick note to Alex telling her he would be back. He told of nothing he was planning, but if anything perhaps his absence while planning would relieve Alex of some of the pain her torturer was inflicting.
 
It wasn't difficult to get the guys to help out. In fact, before he had even finished telling them the details, Heero and Quatre were already planning out their next moves. Alex was important to all of them and they would do anything to keep her from harm.
 
Trowa and Wufei, the two experts in infiltration, went out to the neighboring streets, attempting to find any connection Alex might have had and find any leads on who the man was. Quatre was in charge of interrogation of the more suspicious characters they found, as his naturally angelic looks mislead nearly anyone into telling him what he wanted. Heero did background checks of the surrounding areas and the gang activities. Duo had bethought himself of the article that had changed her attitude that fateful day, and had pulled up the article as well as all the police reports regarding the case.
 
--
 
At the end of three days, they had compiled a list of suspects, victims, friends, and neighbors that were cross-matched with the case files from the reports. The police had never found the man responsible for the death and the threatening note. It seemed that the attacks had stopped right after the first incident so there was no more lead to go by.
 
That's when she went back. Bastard, he took her away from me, Duo thought angrily. But he did understand why she had gone back. Innocent lives were at stake because of her, and knowing her sense of honor was almost as high as Wufei's, of course she would have taken the sacrifice and left everything she wanted behind. Duo sighed inwardly. He couldn't blame her if he would have done the same thing. Then he continued.
 
It seemed that a short while after the incident, criminal activity in the city had abruptly dropped in magnitude. The police in the taskforce were baffled, but Duo guessed that the criminal leader and the guy they were looking for were one and the same. He confirmed this guess when he reviewed the criminal reports increasing slowly but steadily in Sunny City after Alex had purportedly moved there.
 
The bastard is good at covering his tracks, scowled Duo. But I'll find him, and when I do he's a dead man. Duo glanced over at where the other pilots were also furiously working. Of course, if the man ever ended up in any of their hands, he would probably suffer untold tortures just for touching a hair on Alex's head. Duo smirked. He couldn't wait to hear the man scream.
 
“I think I got it,” Wufei crowed suddenly, triumphant. “I think I found the fucking bastard. His name's Ander Rockfell, and his current address is in Sunny City and he's a pretty fucking shady guy. His last known address was around this area, and he has a rap record that's so dirty it's nearly black. Even if this guy's not the one, I'd really like to give him a piece of my mind, pathetic excuse for a man. There's nothing honorable about him.”
 
Duo snickered slightly as he leaned over to read the facts Wufei had pulled up on his laptop. He nodded as he mentally checked everything over with all he knew about the guy. “I'm pretty sure that's him.” Shinigami peeked through his lidded violet eyes as he looked around the room. “Do you guys mind if I take him personally?”
 
Wufei had been looking at him, and had thought it over. Yes, the worst thing that the man could ever ask for was a visit from the Gundam Shinigami - hell even Wufei and the rest of the guys were scared shitless - so having Duo pay a visit to Ander was perfectly satisfactory. Wufei nodded his assent, adding with a slight deadly edge to his voice, “You don't mind if I break a couple bones before you start in on him, don't you?”
 
Duo's laughter was eerie as the sound of death echoed throughout the hideout. The other pilots shivered, glad that they, at least, weren't going to be the next victims of Shinigami.
 
--
 
(Alex's POV)
 
Things were oddly quiet and lonely without Duo. Even the indomitable Felix seemed slightly subdued, his laughter a little dulled. Alex sighed. As much as she had yelled at Duo to leave, she missed him. His note informing her that he would be back didn't assuage her fears at all. In fact, it rather enhanced them, as she feared the return of Ander's wrath. Ander had been extremely happy once Duo had disappeared from the little apartment. After a night of rough sex bordering on rape, he had stroked Alex's shuddering form and told her he was happy she was finally listening. Alex hadn't responded, but had just curled up even tighter and bit her lips to keep from crying. Hell, she missed Duo.
 
Felix had been sleeping with her lately, telling Alex with surprising insight for a child four and half years old - almost five, he would always remind her - that maybe hugs would keep her from crying at night. She had just smiled brokenly and pulled him close. Without Felix, she mused, I think I would have gone mad years ago.
 
Slowly the days drifted by, punctuated with violent sexual visits from Ander. I'm at my breaking point, Alex cried inwardly, hoping for something or someone to save her from her self-inflicted hell.