Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Partitas ❯ Unsettled ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Partitas - Unsettled
Author: infini_t
Pairing: Very faint hint of 1+2 if you squint, hard

Rating: G
Warning: None really…except unbeta'd
Notes: Challange #51: Fantasy

Word count: 540


Partitas - Unsettled

 

 

 

The pale gray light of a rainy morning trickled in through the half drawn drapes, falling flat and limp just beyond the foot of the bed. Shrouded in unyielding shadows, the figure in bed tucked his comforter up over his head and burrowed deeper into sleep. A low rumbling snore rose and fell with the soothing hum of the rain. Together they weaved a rhythmic chorus of a peculiar song.

 

Rain drops pelted the window like little fingers rapping on the glass wanting attention. The lump in bed stirred. A pale naked arm emerged from under the sea of wine-red comforter, searching blindly for a wayward pillow and then dragged it under when it was found like a giant red fish swallowing a plump white worm. The lump grew bigger.

 

Duo was dreaming or he thought he was dreaming. There was someone outside his bedroom window, calling out to him softly but urgently. His feet were cold and his bladder full but he made no attempt to get out of bed. Instead he drew his legs up, rubbing one naked thigh on another for heat. The hair on his arms stood even under the folds of his down-insulated cover. A familiar warmth was missing but it hadn't registered.

 

He thought he had looked out the window and saw a gleam of blue in the gray and dull morning light. His eyes snapped open only to find a drenched morning peeking in between his wine-red drapes. Releasing a sigh of relief, he turned groggily to his side, hugging and rubbing his cheek on yet another pillow he found. A lingering scent tickled his nose. He frowned trying to stay awake but his eyes drifted shut out of their own volition. He was again drowsy with sleep.

 

He thought he saw a splash of green and heard a chuckle. A hand beckoned and he rolled out of bed, stumbling to the window, pulling sheets and comforter and pillows to the hardwood floor. Pressing his forehead to the window pane, he searched the ground for the figure of a boy he vaguely remembered. The glass fogged up where his breath met the cool surface. A word someone wrote with the tip of a finger appeared.

 

Sanctuary.

 

He staggered backward from the window and stared in disbelief. A nagging feeling that he had forgotten something important rolled over him like a twelve-foot surf, and he swayed on his feet.

 

A bright light flashed across the sky like some obscure warning and the window exploded inward with a loud crack. Shards of broken glass littered the floor. A shinny object shot through the broken window and hit him squarely in the head.

 

He sat up with a sharp gasp and scanned the room nervously. The glaring sun was hot on his face and there were no signs of rain or broken glass. His comforter twisted around his legs, trapping them. Several pillows lay in a harmless heap on the floor by the bed. He wet his parched lips with a dry tongue and looked down. Clasped in one of his hands was a silver skeleton key, heavy, cold, and dripping wet. His mouth opened and closed rapidly. His mind whirred.

 

A key.

 

But to what?