Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Picture ❯ Chapter 11

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Eleven

The packet lay on the polished table between Dorothy and Duo. Dorothy had listened in silence, her eyes intense on a tense and shaken Duo.

Words tumbled from Duo in a rush as he explained his dilemma. If Dorothy saw beyond the momentary problem to the other weightier one, she said nothing until Duo finished.

"Dorothy, Don't I owe Milliardo this much?"

"But if you give him this, you will have lost Heero forever. He will feel you betrayed him. But then" - Dorothy smiled - "betrayal is what you had in mind when you went there, wasn't it?"

Dorothy's words stung, but Duo could not deny the truth in them . . . the ugly truth.

"Duo, will you consider something without getting angry?"

"Anything."

"Milliardo plans on marrying you eventually; he loves you."

"Yes."

"Have you considered the situation he has put you in?"

"He was desperate," Duo said, but his brow furrowed in annoyance at the subtle doubts that entered his mind.

"Heero has said he loves you, too, and has asked you to marry him."

"Yes," Duo said softly.

"Has it occurred to you which man must truly love you?"

"Why would I doubt either of them?"

"Such conceit!" Dorothy chuckled.

"I didn't mean it that way. I meant to compliment them both."

"Sometimes I truly believe your loving heart causes all your difficulties. You see things through romantic eyes, and that can lead to nothing but trouble."

"You make me sound like a child."

"Sometimes, you are." Dorothy sighed. "Duo, if you believe both men love you, then you should marry the man that you love. If you marry the other, you can only make both your hearts miserable. It's time to follow your heart."

Duo considered Dorothy's words and looked inward for the first time. It was Milliardo to whom he owed a debt, but it was Heero whom made his heart pound and his passion come to life. Of course Dorothy was right. He loved Heero Yuy and could no longer deny it.

"I cannot return the packet to Heero, but I don't want to give it to Milliardo either. If I can only remove the threat from Milliardo, then I will have repaid him."

"Are you going to tell Heero the truth?"

"I will tell Heero about my past." Duo lifted his chin proudly. "I`m not ashamed. But I will not bring Milliardo into this. I will tell Milliardo that I have done all I could to protect him, and that I love and intend to marry Heero."

"I'm happy for you, Duo. I think you've chosen the right path."

"You have not liked or trusted Milliardo from the very beginning have you?"

Dorothy did not want to tell Duo that ever since the night she had read the cards, she had been certain that Milliardo was the one who was destined to harm Duo. At least now, if Duo were to separate himself from Milliardo and become married to Heero Yuy, he might be safe from any threat Milliardo might pose. Dorothy cared too much for Duo to think of him being hurt any more than Dorothy herself had been.

"It is not up to me to like or not. You're learning to guide your life, and I'm happy for you. I want you to be happy."

"Dorothy, you have always been so good to me. Someday I must repay you somehow."

"You owe me nothing but your friendship, Duo. And that is what I value most."

"May I leave the packet with you for safekeeping until I decide what to do with it?"

"Yes, of course. I'll hide it away until you want it."

"Again, I'm grateful."

"But now you're excited. I can see it in your eyes."

"I am, a bit." Duo smiled.

"I'm going over to see Trowa. Do you want to come along?" Dorothy asked.

"Yes, I haven't seen him in a long time."

"I'll put this away first." Dorothy took the packet into another room and returned in a few minutes.

"Is it safely hidden?"

"Believe me, Duo, no one will ever find it. Let's go."

The used the carriage Duo had come in. When they arrived, they were laughing together as they entered and Trowa heard them. He came to the top of the stairs and as they mounted the steps, he opened his arms and embraced them both.

"Duo, how wonderful you look. Like a title."

"He soon will be," Dorothy said.

"So," Trowa said quietly, "Quatre was right."

"Quatre?" Duo questioned. Trowa flushed a bit at the slip, but they were already walking into his studio. Duo wasn't exactly shocked to see Quatre seated calmly on a window seat.

"Quatre!" Duo exclaimed. "I didn't know you were coming here today."

"I'm letting Trowa do another portrait of me," Quatre replied. "He thinks I make a good model, and perhaps he can sell the portraits."

Quatres eyes flew to Trowa, who stiffened. He did not intend to lie to Duo or anyone about how he felt for Quatre.

Of course, he knew Quatre had come to see him often without Duo's knowledge. But if Duo questioned them, he knew he and Quatre both meant for the truth to be told.

But Duo didn't question. Being in love now, he forgot his earlier misgivings and their relationship. Duo had no fear that Quatre would not be treated tenderly and well by this man. Somehow their financial problems would be resolved.

"I'm sure a portrait done with the eyes of love, will sell well," Duo replied. Both Trowa and Quatre smiled in relief, and Quatre rose and went to Trowa's side. Trowa put his arm possessively around Quatre. "I couldn't be happier for you both," Duo finished. He looked casually around the studio, and then frowned. "Trowa, where is the portrait of me?"

"Ah . . . Duo . . . I'm sorry. After you and Quatre left . . . well, things were desperate. Please don't hate me, but . . . I had to sell it."

"Of course I don't hate you, but, Trowa, you did promise."

"I know, and I feel so guilty. But - "

"I know the feeling of desperation and hunger," Duo said quietly. "But I would have liked to have bought it from you to give to my future husband. Who did you sell it to?"

"I don't know exactly."

"How can you sell something and not know who you sold it to?"

"It was done through a solicitor. Please believe me, Duo, if I'd known you wanted it, I would have refused to sell it."

Duo laughed. "Even if you starved. No, Trowa, I don't want my friends to go hungry. One day soon, I might ask you to do another."

"It would be my pleasure, and my gift."

"Thank you."

The four friends shared an early lunch together, and finally Duo said that he had to go. He wanted to find Milliardo and tell him that he was safe; and then Duo wanted to go see Heero and tell him of his past. Duo meant to start his life with Heero on the right foot. The only secret he intended to keep for as long as he could was his prior relationship with Milliardo. Duo simply could not confess that yet.

Quatre decided to return with Duo; they would leave Dorothy at home on their way. Dorothy and Duo walked to the carriage to allow Quatre a few minutes alone with Trowa. Finally the three were on their way.

After they'd gone, Trowa stood before the half-finished portrait he was doing of Quatre. There was love in every brush stroke, and that love was reflected in the eyes of the beauty on the canvas. He had never thought anyone as sweet and wonderful as Quatre would be a part of his life. Trowa inhaled a ragged sigh. Even Quarter, who was the dearest person in his life, didn't know the truth behind the sale of the portrait Duo had wanted. He was still considering this when he heard the solid sound of footsteps on the stairs. Trowa turned and faced the door. When it opened and then closed behind his visitor, he smiled grimly.

"I'm glad you're here. You've almost got me into a devil of a lot of trouble with someone I consider a friend. I hope you're not making a big mistake. Why don't you tell me everything you have in mind before this goes any farther?

"Good idea," The answer came in a deep, serious voice. "Sit down, Trowa. I have a very long story to tell you."

Trowa sat, and Heero Yuy sat down opposite him and began to talk. "I have unwittingly become a pawn in a dangerous game. There is villainy involved, and assassination plots, and deadly treason. It falls to me to unwind this tangled web and save the life of a very capable man. Until I succeed I can trust no one except you."

"Can't I help?"

"No, you are involved too deeply already. I mean to remedy that as soon as possible."

"And Duo?"

Heero was silent for a long moment. "There is a matter I must take care of myself."

"By God," Trowa whispered, "you're in love with him."

"Yes. But I still have to uncover the truth."

"And you wanted his portrait - "

"Yes," Heero said quietly, "someday . . . well, never mind. Trust me that no harm will come to Duo from me."

Heero rose to his feet and when he did the portrait Trowa had nearly finished of Quatre came into view. Again Heero paused as some fleeting memory tugged at him. "What do you know of Quatre, Trowa?"

"All that I need to know. He is the loveliest person I've ever met, and the man that I soon intend to marry."

"I congratulate you . . . but I still can't get it out of my mind that I've seen him someplace before. Oh well, it will come to me. I wish you well. Trowa . . . I will never hurt Duo; that I promise. As with Quatre and you, I want to protect her and to have her as my wife."

"I'm glad, for I wouldn't let another soul have that painting but you. What have you done with it, and why haven't you told him?"

"I can't explain now. You'll have to trust me."

"I always have."

Heero smiled and left the studio.

It was nearing dinner time when Duo finally found himself in his carriage again and on his way back to Heero's home.

He had left Quatre at Heero's town house and had driven straight to Milliardo's but, to his deep disappointment, he had found that he was gone from the city for a few days. He wanted to relieve Milliardo's mind as soon as possible. He knew Milliardo would be pleased to know the packet was out of Heero's hands, so he took the time to write him a letter and left it with Milliardo's butler.

"See that His Lordship receives this the moment that he arrives," Duo instructed.

"Yes, madam."

"Thank you." Duo left, relieved that all the shadows were gone and he need not think of them any further. Now Duo must confess to Heero what he had been and hope that Heero still wanted to marry him. If he did, Duo planned on making himself be the best that a man could hope for. Duo gave one last consideration to the letter that he had written for Milliardo:

My dear Milliardo:

This is not the kind of thing I would normally put into a letter. I would much rather have told you this in person, but since you are away, I have no choice. Time is of the essence. The threat that you feared is ended, and you are free. I have found the packet and have put it in a safe place where it can no longer be used against you.

This part, dear Milliardo, is the hardest part to write. I find I cannot marry you, because I love Heero. He has asked me to be his wife and I am going to accept. Please try to understand. You will always occupy a special place in my heart and you will always be my friend.

Duo

When Duo arrived home, Heero was not there, and Duo was soon caught up in the family. An exuberant Ebony, it seemed, had been in mischief all afternoon and Juanita was beside herself. Even Morgana had reached the end of her patience. Quatre had escaped to his room to rest.

Duo offered to take the child off their hands for a few moments and they quickly agreed. Duo took Ebony to the garden and engaged her in games and soon they were laughing and totally caught up in each other. Duo found Ebony to be bright and brimming with enthusiasm for anything exciting or new.

After an hour even Duo's energy began to run out and he coaxed Ebony to sit on his lap in the shade of a tree while he told her a story. To this Ebony readily agreed.

Duo captivated the girl with tales of knights and dragons and magicians until her eyes grew heavy and she drifted into sleep.

Duo rocked her gently in his lap and felt a kind of peace he had never known before. All the darkness faded before the dream of having Heero, and maybe a child like Ebony one day.

The dying sun haloed Duo's hair, turning it to spun copper. Heero, who stood just outside the door that led to the garden, felt tightness in his chest and an unwelcome obstruction in his throat that made it hard to breathe.

A longing filled him to gather Duo into his arms and protect him, to refuse to let Duo go no matter what happened. Duo was the only person to enter his heart and take residence as if he had always belonged. If Duo did not choose him, would Heero ever be able to let Duo go? Would Heero ever be able to forget him?

Clenching his jaw, he opened the door and walked outside. Heero made no sound as he approached Duo, yet he knew the moment Duo sensed his presence. Duo raised his head slowly and their gazes met. Heero could see the tremulous smile on lips he longed to taste; the warmth in his eyes flowed through Heero like a warm river. Heero wanted Duo, under any terms, under any conditions, in any way he could get him.

Heero stopped before Duo and knelt down. Tenderly he brushed a wayward curl from Ebony's brow and smiled at Duo. "It's difficult to see what a little imp she is when she looks so much like an angel when she sleeps."

"She is an angel," Duo replied softly.

Had Duo begun to care for the members of his family? Heero thought hopefully. He looked into the amethyst depths of Duo's eyes.

"Duo," he breathed the name like a prayer. Slowly Heero bent and caressed his parted lips with his. Heero felt the aching need in him grow and girded himself to whatever necessary to keep Duo.

"Shall I carry her in?" Heero asked.

"Yes," Duo replied. Gently Heero took the sleeping child, and Duo rose to walk beside him as he carried her inside. Heero took Ebony up to her room to turn her over to her nanny. Then he came down to join Duo and the family for dinner.

Throughout dinner Duo was inordinately quiet. Was Duo thinking of a way to flee him? Heero wondered anxiously. Morgana, Juanita and Quatre also seemed aware of Duo's silence and did their best to keep the conversation flowing.

Duo was frightened. Would Heero turn away from him if he knew of his past; would Heero cease to love him? The thought was so painful that he could barely choke down his food, and he was more than grateful when the meal came to an end. Duo rose slowly to his feet and spoke to Heero in a voice calmer than he would have believed possible.

"Heero . . . could I please speak to you in private in the library?"

"Of course, Duo," he replied. "Join me in the library?"

Juanita and Morgana watched the two leave, each harboring the same thoughts. Each wishing they could somehow make everything work out for Heero, whom they both loved, and for Duo, whom they were growing to love as well.

Heero followed Duo inside the library and closed the door. Duo walked to the fireplace, then turned to face him. Very slowly, Heero walked toward Duo and stopped just a few feet away.

Duo inhaled a deep breath. Heero was an intimidating presence. His tall, broad shoulder frame seemed to fill Duo's whole scope of vision, and his blue eyes had darkened to storm blue. It felt as if they were piercing him.

"Please, Heero, will you sit? You are so . . . so overpowering."

Heero walked to a chair and sat down. Duo's next move took him by surprise. He came to Heero and knelt down before him, the cloud of his dress floating about him. Then he took Heero's hand in his.

"Heero, you've asked me to become your husband and I am very honored by your proposal."

"But you're refusing."

"No . . . not exactly."

"Duo, what do you mean not exactly? Either you are accepting or you are refusing."

"Heero, please, it's not as simple as that."

"What makes it so difficult?" Heero gripped Duo's hands and drew him up to him. "Do you not believe that I love you? If that is so, don't doubt it for a minute. I love you and I want you more than you know. There is little I wouldn't do to win your love . . . and your trust."

"You are making this so difficult for me. I will answer you, but not until you've heard me out."

"What could possibly be so important that - "

"Heero . . . please?"

"All right, what do you want to tell me that would make marrying you so nefarious a thing?"

Duo sat back on his heels, and Heero's smile faded when he saw the shadow of a vague fear in Duo's eyes.

"I am not what you think I am."

"I think that you are the loveliest creature I've ever seen."

"I don't mean that. I am not wealthy. I've never had anything. All the clothes, the summer house at NightWind, that's all a fraud. I'm an orphan from Helen Maxwell's Orphanage. I've never known my parents. In fact, Helen gave me my name. I am nothing, a nobody, and you would be a fool to give your name to me."

"Are you quite finished?"

"No! You must know what my life has been." Duo went on to explain everything that had happened to him from the day he had left the orphanage and Helen's protection. "I learned to pick a pocket, to steal a purse or food, and be quick in dodging the law. I lived hand to mouth and I was hungry much of the time. Hungry and scared. The chance to live like a wealthy person and to meet you was too good to let go by. Can you see how terrible this is, how undeserving I am? I would be a disgrace to you and your family."

"Now are you finished?"

"You're not listening to me!"

"But I am, my love, I am." Again Heero drew Duo up so he could put his arms around him. "What matters most, Duo, is whether or not you care enough about me to promise to be my husband. When we've settled that, we can consider your minor problems."

"Minor problems!"

"Yes, minor problems. Do you think it matters to me that your name is not Maxwell? Do you think it matters that you were forced to live by your wits? It only tells me that you are strong, and brace, and can survive. As for wealth, I have enough to keep you like royalty for the rest of your life. No, I will repeat, what matters to me is whether you love me or not. Anything else I can deal with." Heero smiled. "It doesn't matter to me that you were a common pickpocket."

Relief flooded Duo and his lips formed a half smile. A sparkle of mischief lit his eyes. "I was not common, Heero. I was the best pickpocket in all of London, and I was very good at what I did, very good."

Heero laughed and gathered Duo close to him to kiss him deeply and most thoroughly. Then he held Duo a little away from him. "Have we crossed all your bridges, Duo, and burnt them behind us? There is nothing more you wish to confess to me?"

Duo wanted to tell Heero the truth about Milliardo, but he did not want to betray Milliardo's confidence or do him any harm. He was free of Heero or any others who meant him harm and confessing now could only create new problems.

"No, there's nothing else."

For a moment disappointment touched Heero's eyes, but only for a moment. In time he would teach Duo to trust him. In time he would destroy Duo's ungodly loyalty to Milliardo Peacecraft. He would teach Duo to love him the way he loved Duo and to know that he could put any problems Duo might have in his hands and he would handle them with love.

"Then you love me," he demanded gently.

"I do, Heero, I do. I think I loved you for a long time."

"And the marriage can take place at the first reasonable minute?"

"Reasonable minute?"

"Once my mother and Nita find out, we're in for a long siege. I can only hope that time passes quickly or that I can abduct you once or twice before the wedding." Heero's face grew serious. "Duo, whatever happens, I want you to know that I am always here, that I want to be more than a husband to you. I want to be your friend always. Will you remember that?" Heero's gaze was intent and Duo could feel Heero's strength reach out and enfold him. Duo had never felt so safe, so loved in his life.

"Yes," he said softly. Duo moved into Heero's arms now, more than willing to allow this moment to become to the sweetest memory of his life.

Duo felt the firm persuasiveness of Heero's mouth as the kiss grew deep, but this time there was no resistance. Duo melted against him as if he was willing to flow within Heero's being, and Heero felt himself losing his grip on any reality but the warm and willing man in his arms.

Quatre sat trying to read a book in which he had no interest. Morgana sat before the fireplace, her embroidery frame before her. But her hands had not created a stitch in the past twenty minutes. Juanita paced the floor like a caged lioness, fighting the distinct urge to stomp up to the library door, throw it open, and demand to know not only what was going on but whether they should be congratulating the happy couple or telling Heero what a fool he was.

Finally the door opened to reveal Heero and Duo. Juanita was the first person to accost them. "Well?"

"Nita," Heero laughed, "I'm surprised your nose wasn't pressed to the door and your eye to the keyhole."

"Heero Yuy, if you don't tell me what's going on I shall throttle you."

"Well, to preserve life and limb, I guess we'd better tell you," Heero replied as he walked past her and went to his mother. "Duo has agreed to become my husband, Mother, and I would like the wedding to take place as quickly as is socially possible. I trust you can speed things along."

"I'll do my best, Heero." Morgana smiled. She extended a hand to Duo, who came to her side. "You are a most welcome addition to our family, Duo."

"Thank you." Duo was choked with emotion. He had never belonged, and now, suddenly, he felt as if he had a family of his own.

Quatre came to Duo to embrace him and there were tears in his eyes that only Duo would understand. Both had found new paths for their lives. Paths filled with promise. They had come a long way together.

They celebrated with a bottle of the best wine, the Yuy cellar had to offer and a toast and well wishes. Juanita had embraced her brother with enthusiasm and wickedly asked how soon Ebony could expect a playmate.

It was a deliciously wonderful feeling for Duo, who warmed his spirit at the fire of their affection.

Quatre, Morgana and even an unwilling Juanita went to bed earlier than usual for the sole purpose of leaving Heero and Duo alone for a while. It was an opportunity Heero took full advantage of.

Heero drew Duo down on his lap and laughed at the way he was tormenting himself. It was certainly a test of his control, for Duo was warm and responsive in his arms.

They spoke of plans and promises, and Duo could not remember being so happy. But Heero had a good idea that his control was not going to bear much more of this.

"I think it's best that you go up now."

"Oh Heero. It's so comfortable here."

Heero's chuckle was warm and delighted. "It is, but if you don't go to your room soon, I'll be carrying you up to mine. Nita would enjoy our discomfort in the morning, but I don't think Mother would be too pleased."

When Duo sat p, his cheeks were flushed and his eyes were filled with laughter.

"Don't tempt me, Duo." Heero grinned. "I'm not very reliable at this moment." He rose, lifting Duo with him, and then stood him on his feet. "Come on, I'll walk you to the stairs. I'm going to stay down here and have a brandy. It's safer."

With his arm about Duo's waist, they walked to the bottom of the staircase. In his arms Duo savored his good night kiss. Then he started to go up the steps.

"Duo?"

Duo turned to look down at Heero. "You will remember everything I said to you tonight?"

"I will not forget one word, Heero. Especially when you said you loved me. One day I will prove to you just how much your love means to me and how grateful I am for your understanding."

"Good night, Duo. Sleep well."

"Good night,"

Heero watched until Duo had disappeared. "Trust me, Duo," he said softly. "Trust me and let me erase the last threat to our happiness." He turned and walked back to library, to have his brandy and to make his plans.

TBC