Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Picture ❯ Chapter 1

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

{Disclaimer} I do not own Gundam Wing nor have I ever or hope to. Too expensive for my tastes. I'm just playing with them. And yes, I'll put them back when I'm done.

Title: "Picture"

Author: Solitary Rose

Pairings: 1+2, 1X2, 3+4, attempted 13X2, 5+S, 1+H (implied 1xH), D+C

Genre: Drama, AU, Hentai (in Chp. 14 and on)

Rating: NC-17

Archive: http://www.mediaminer.org - type in Solitary_Rose in the search.

WARNINGS: Attempted NCS, Swearing, Lime, Lemon, Shounen Ai, Het, Not a lot of warm fuzzies sorry. Street life, cross-dressing of 02 and 04 *Meep!* Also I altered history; transvestites are legal as are homosexual marriages. If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't flame me later on saying that I want my characters to get fucking stoned. In my own little world this is my dream, please don't bitch. (Also, I've now decided to put the warning on every chapter seeing as how people don't read. -_-)

Feedback: If you want. I don't reply though, sorry.

Spoilers: None - it's an AU. In no way related to the actual story line.

Chapter One

18 Years Later

Duo Maxwell sat on a pile of stones in what Helen would have called an unmannerly way. His breeches were rolled up to his mid-thighs and his bare feet swung idly back and forth.

The sunlight caught the flame in his chestnut hair, and his violet eyes glittered in pleasure. Pleasure was a thing that Duo had very little of in his young life and he grasped it, whenever and wherever it appeared.

Quatre Winner sat close to him, his breeches primly covering his stockings, and his shoes sparkling in the sun. He and Duo were exactly the same age. Although neither knew his real birth date, Helen told them they were born on this date and shared it, and that was good enough for them.

Quatre was as different from Duo as day was from night, and he worshipped Duo with a single-minded devotion.

Where Duo was adventurous and robust in his race to meet life, Quatre was delicate and often afraid of his own shadow. Duo never ceased to amaze him.

Quatre's hair was thick and as golden as the sun and stars together, and his cherub face was dominated by eyes the color of turquoise. At nearly nineteen, he was very slender and willowy.

Duo's body was curved and had hidden muscles under ivory skin. He had a long, slender body that men and women both craved for. But Duo didn't know or care.

"Really, Duo," Quatre said in a mild and humorous tone, "You know that Miss Maxwell has our best intentions at heart. That's why she gave you her last name. We have to decide what we are going to do."

"I want to know my own last name, like you know your own last name," Duo said firmly. "And I don't want to be apprenticed so I can learn to be a . . . a butler or stable boy, always going around saying `yes, sir', and `no, sir'."

"But it has to be done. And we should be grateful she's allowing us a choice. Most of the boys our age are apprenticed without even being told what their duties are. We have to learn to be self-sufficient. You heard Miss Maxwell say so, or we'll be . . . . be . . . ."

"Street walkers." Duo chuckled at Quatre's embarrassment. "Street rats, who sleep in the gutters."

"Duo! Must you be so -"

"Honest?"

"Explicit."

"Quatre, you read too much. Every day you come up with words you hardly understand. I don't want to be on the streets. I want - "

"What? Do you know?"

"Yes. I know." Duo's voice softened and his eyes looked inward at his own dreams. Dreams he knew he could share with Quatre and only Quatre. All others would laugh at the aspirations of a nameless orphan.

"I want to have enough wealth to live in a fine home. I want to ride horses. I want to travel all over the world and see its marvels. I want to live, not just exist, wondering where the next mouthful of food will come from and whose hand-me-down clothes we'll be wearing next year."

"You know those kind of dreams are just that - dreams. We have to be realistic. It's time for us to face that fact that those dreams are out of our reach. Miss Maxwell is going to place us soon and we have to accept it . . . or . . . you know the orphanage will not be able to support us forever. Duo . . . we have to choose, and I . . . I'm so afraid."

"Afraid of what? It will be work, and we've done our share since we were old enough to walk."

"No, I'm not afraid of work."

"Then what?"

"I'm afraid we'll be separated. You're the only real friend I have. What shall I do if Miss Maxwell forces us to apprentice so far apart I'll never see you again?"

"Quatre, we've talked about this before and I've always promised you, one way or the other, we'll be together. I've never broken a promise, have I?"

"No . . . but- "

"No buts. We'll find a way." Duo's voice held the same firm quality that could always comfort Quatre. He lifted the weight of his thick hair and closed his eyes, raising his face towards the sun. "Oh, it's such a glorious day. I wish we were free."

"Free? What would we do with freedom if we had it?"

"Go to the park and walk through the grass in our bare feet. Wade in the pond and sleep beneath one of those huge oak trees." Duo laughed.

"And be hungry within a few hours and not have a shilling," Quatre added dryly.

"How practical." He grinned at Quatre. "Dear Quatre, you were born to be a banker. You could run anything. Efficiently and very practically."

"Well, one of us has to be practical," Quatre replied. "You're too much of a dreamer."

"Yes, I guess I am," Duo said thoughtfully.

"Duo." Quatre reached out to touch his hand, all laughter gone from his eyes. "I don't mean to sound condemning. You're a dreamer, and I admire you for that. I'm too afraid to dream. I wish all your dreams would come true, really I do."

"Well, if my dreams ever come true, you'll be right beside me. Now, speaking of hunger, do you suppose we could charm Mrs. Sweeting out of something? I'm hungry enough to eat a horse."

"Let's go try. But for heaven's sake, put you breeches and shoes on or she'll be scandalized, lecture you on manners for an hour, then turn you over to Miss Maxwell who will lecture you again like she's done a million times."

With an exasperated sigh, Duo reached for his discarded stockings and began to pull them over his long legs.

The window of Helen Maxwell's office looked upon the back of the orphanage property. Treize Krushrenda stood gazing out the window with his hands in his pockets, watching the scene some distance away.

He was a distinguished man whose vitality belied his fifty-two years. His hair was thick and still a vibrant gold-brown and he kept himself in excellent physical condition. Treize Krushrenda gave the impression of perfect gentility. Only if his mask slipped could one see the fierceness in his eyes and the hungry look of greed that lingered there. He was a man who saw no limits to what he should able to possess . . . if he wanted it.

Behind him Helen sat at her desk, making out the receipt for the very generous sum of money Treize donated to the orphanage. He had been a source of financial help for the past two years, and Helen didn't want to question his motivation. She was too grateful for his much needed help.

Certain that he was unobserved, Treize watched Duo draw the stockings over the creamy flesh of his legs. Flesh he wanted to touch.

He smiled as he turned from the window. Helen had risen, and he didn't want her to see what held his attention. She handed the receipt to him with a warm smile.

She was a tall, slender woman, whose eyes were level with his. Her black hair was held back a carefully arranged knot. Her face revealed Asian origins, and her onyx eyes spoke of a woman who had seen much and who knew much. Treize was well aware of the keen mind behind those eyes, and he cultivated her carefully to keep his true interest in the orphanage his own secret.

Treize had carved a niche in the business world with craft, guile, and a total lack of conscience. He regarded the world as a challenge; a challenge he never walked away from. What Treize Krushrenda wanted, he set his mind to . . . and usually got. What he wanted now was the sweet innocence of Duo Maxwell.

"Thank you for your generosity, Mr. Krushrenda," Helen said. "You have no idea how we have come to depend on your largesse."

Treize smiled his warmest smile. Of course, he knew how dependent she was on his money; he had carefully planned it that way.

"Think nothing of it, dear lady. My wife has always had a special place in her heart for the orphaned and the infirm."

"I know," Helen sympathized. "And how is your wife?"

"Still confined to her bed. She will be until" - he paused dramatically, magnificent in his sorrow - "Until she is with us no more." His voice caught on a seeming constriction in his throat. He could have laughed to see the concern and deep sympathy in Helen's eyes. "That is the reason I've come to see you today. I must speak to you about one of your wards. A Mr. Duo Maxwell."

"Duo?"

"Yes; it seems my wife needs more help than I can provide since my time is consumed with business matters. I know you apprentice your boys, and I would like to have Duo in my home as a companion to my wife."

"Are you sure that you want a boy, Mr. Krushrenda? Maybe a girl would be better suited?"

"No, no. My wife would appreciate a male companion more. You see, she favors them more overall."

"Ah, well, how very convenient then. I was just looking for a place for Duo and Quatre."

"Quatre?"

"He is Duo's closest friend. In fact, I think Quatre is more of a brother than a friend. They are the same age, and have been here since . . . well, for most of their lives. It will be difficult to separate them. But both need to be placed soon. Both will celebrate their nineteenth birthdays, and they must have training so they can find a place in life. I will not have any of my children on the streets."

"No, of course not. Perhaps I will question some of my friends and see if a place can be found for Duo's friend. You do the placing, do you not? I mean, it is not left up to a childish whim?"

"Of course not; your offer is very kind, and you have been very generous. You may consider it agreed upon. I'm sure Duo will be grateful too."

"Yes, I'm sure he will. My home is a very fine one, and I will see that he has separate quarters. I will also see that he is supplied with proper clothes and a few shillings to compensate for his time. I'm making certain he gets proper training for the position I want him to fill."

"How do you know of Duo?"

"It seems a friend of my wife acquired a girl from here, and on occasion she saw and spoke to Duo here. She feels that Duo is exactly what my wife needs."

"Ms. Dermail?"

"Yes, Ms. Dermail. Her word is good enough for me. I shall take Duo and train him well. You need not worry."

"Then it is agreed. I will speak to Duo. When would you like to come for him?"

"If you agree, I will come for him Sunday afternoon."

"Very good. And thank you again, Mr. Krushrenda. I'm sure you will not be disappointed in Duo."

"I doubt if I will," he said, smiling. "I doubt if I will."

Treize left Helen's office, content with the progress of plans that had been initiated over a year and a half ago. As he seated himself in his carriage he thought of the first time he had seen Duo.

He had escaped the confinement of his sick wife's room and the cloying scent of death that always seemed to cling to her. He hated being chained to her withering body, and longed for the soft flesh and sweet scent of someone healthy . . . and young.

He had claimed a need to finish some work and gone out for a drive in his carriage so that he could get his wife out of his mind. He was passing the orphanage when he saw him. He had donated money to the Maxwell Orphanage before, and wondered how he had missed this glorious boy. Then, he had discovered the apprentice policy Helen Maxwell had begun when she and her father had first established the orphanage. It had been well accepted, and a number of her children had grown up and gone on to make good lives for themselves. The policy made Treize's plans simple.

He had watched, finding out how Duo spent what free time he had, and had seen him blossom. Now, he could wait no more. His first step was to get him into his home. All the comforts and gifts he could supply would eventually bring him to his bed. If there was anything that Treize was good at, it was seduction. Had he not seduced his wealthy wife when she was younger and taken her to his bed, knowing marriage would be forced? He had wanted her and her money, and he took both casually. Now he had his wife's wealth, and Duo would be his pleasure.

Sunday, he would go to the orphanage, and he was sure Miss Maxwell would have Duo prepared to go with him. Tonight he would go home and make arrangements. Of course, Duo's quarters had to be far enough away from his wife's room so that she would be unaware of what was going on.

His body trembled with the images his mind conjured up. There was no one who couldn't be bought, and Duo's life was a drab and empty one. Once he saw how generous he could be, his surrender would follow swiftly. He could see and feel and smell his young naked body pinned beneath him. Moaning softly, he discreetly adjusted his trousers.

Duo tried to ignore the chiming bell that had awakened him every morning of his life. He buried his head beneath his pillow. He absolutely did not want to get out of this bed Sunday morning. The day was gray, and he had heard steady rainfall most of the night. It meant he would be confined inside, and that thought made him groan inwardly.

But the long, barracks-like room, in which he slept with over fifty other boys of various ages, was alive with chatter and the bustle of rapid dressing.

"Duo." Quatre bent to shake him. "Duo, come on. Everyone else is almost dressed. You'll be late for breakfast."

"I'm not hungry. Go to breakfast without me," he mumbled from beneath his pillow.

"You know Miss Maxwell will just send someone back for you. You'd better get up."

With a disgusted grunt, Duo pushed the pillow away and contemplated his friend. Quatre knew him too well to be alarmed at the scowl. He smiled, and after a while Duo smiled too, swung his legs over the narrow cot he slept on, and stood up.

Before either Duo or Quatre had time to speak again, one of the younger boys came running toward them.

"Duo! Duo!" The boy was breathless by the time he stopped beside them. He was a boy of about ten, who had been deposited at the orphanage at two by parents who simply couldn't afford to feed another mouth. Duo had been kind to him, and Toby had never forgotten it. He smiled now as if he was very pleased to carry a message to Duo. "Miss Maxwell says for you to come to her office right away. There's something important that she has to talk to you about."

"Something to talk to me about? Toby, are you sure you heard right? Maybe it was something she wanted me to do."

"No," Toby said firmly. "She said she wanted to talk to you and would I fetch you right away."

Quatre and Duo exchanged bewildered looks. Then Toby grinned. "I'll bet you I know what it is."

"What?" Duo asked.

"Well, maybe I `zactly know, but I'll bet it has something to do with that Mr. Krushrenda. He was in her office a long time and he talked to Miss Maxwell for a long time."

"He comes almost every month. He gives the orphanage a lot of money. Why would he have anything to do with me?" Duo asked the question more to himself than to Quatre or Toby.

"Well, you had better go and find out." Quatre said.

"Yes, I guess I better go. Quatre, do you want to come with me? You could wait outside the office."

"All right." Quatre was surprised; for the first time in Duo's life there was a flicker of fear in his eyes. This was so uncharacteristic that Quatre could not refuse. As far as he knew, Duo had never been afraid of anything, and certainly not Miss Maxwell, who had always been kind to him. In fact, so kind that she had given Duo her own surname.

Duo dressed quickly and tied his hair back into a braid with a black ribbon. Then he and Quatre started towards Miss Maxwell's office.

Duo walked slowly, which was unusual in itself, and he could not stop his nerves from growing tense. He could feel an inner trembling. He had never felt this way before, and it frightened him. Quatre walked beside him until they reached Miss Maxwell's door. They exchanged glances, and then Duo raised his closed hand to knock on the door.

"Come in," Helen called out. Duo straightened his shoulders, opened the door, and went inside, closing the door softly behind him.

Duo stood with his back against the closed door for a minute, reluctant to go any further into the room. Helen looked up from her papers and smiled at Duo.

"Duo, my dear child, come in and sit down. I have some good news, both for you and all your friends here at Maxwell orphanage."

For a moment, relief made Duo's legs weak, and he paused. Then he walked across the room to take the chair in front of Helen's desk.

"Duo, you know that you will soon be nineteen."

"Yes ma'am."

"And you know that we have an apprentice method to help teach our children to be useful and productive in some form of work."

"Yes ma'am."

"Well, I have found an excellent position for you. I call it a position because it can hardly be called work. You will be caring for an invalid. Bringing her meals, running errands, and reading to her. It will give you wonderful opportunities, for you will live in a very fine home and be given new clothes and even a bit of money." Helen stood up and walked around the desk to smile down at Duo. "Do not be frightened, child. I wouldn't allow any harm to come to you. You know that. I want to see you protected, and this is an opportunity. You will work there until you are twenty-one. Then you can choose if you want to stay there or not. . . . if she's alive by then."

"Still alive?" Duo asked.

"The lady is very delicate and very ill. No one knows if she will live long. But her dear husband wants her last years . . . or what time she has, to be as comfortable as he can make them. He is so kind. He has been married for twenty years, but within the past five years his wife has been bed-ridden. Still, he remains a diligent husband and caretaker."

"What is her name?"

"Sylvia Krushrenda. I think you know of her husband. He has given the orphanage a great deal of money. He is very generous. Without his monthly donations, I don't believe that we could have gone on. All the children would be on the streets. His request for someone to take care of his wife seems little to ask of us."

"I suppose so. But wouldn't they rather have a girl?"

"No, I discussed that with Mr. Krushrenda, and he was quite adamant that his wife would prefer a boy."

"Oh." Duo could not suppress the tingle of fear that swirled through him. "When must I go?"

"You may pack your things this morning. Right after lunch, Mr. Krushrenda will come for you. Be of good heart, child. You are young, and the job will be easy. These days will pass quickly, and in three years' time you will have some money, clothes of your own and good references for your future. It is a golden opportunity, Duo."

"I don't want to sound ungrateful, Miss Maxwell, truly. I . . . I've only know this place and you. It will be hard to go. And . . . what about Quatre?"

"I will find a suitable place for Quatre. Until I do, he will remain in my care. After all, Duo, you will not work every day. You can visit when you have free time." Helen rested a hand on Duo's shoulder. "I will even see to it myself that you two remain in contact. Now, I think it best you have your breakfast and begin to gather your belongings. I expect you back in my office at one o'clock."

"Yes ma'am." Duo rose. There was no logical reason for his resistance, and he had always known that this day was coming. Still, he was unprepared.

When Duo left Helen's office, Quatre fairly leapt to his feet.

"What did she want?"

"It seems you were right, Quatre. Miss Maxwell has already found a place for me."

"You're leaving!" Quatre gasped, and his face grew pale. "You're leaving." He repeated softly. "Where are you going . . . and when?"

Duo turned to look at his friend and realized that Quatre was very close to panicking.

"Don't be upset. You and I knew it had to happen one day." He went on to explain what his duties would be and whom he would be working for. "We'll just have to make plans to see each other as often as possible. Miss Maxwell said she'd try as hard as she could to get you a place somewhere close to Mr. Krushrenda's home."

"He's rich, and must have a wonderful home. I . . . I guess he's just trying to be generous," Quatre suggested.

"I suppose. He's the one who gives Miss Maxwell so much money. I suspect we've been eating food and wearing clothes that he's provided for some time now."

"Then, if he's rich, maybe he can find room for both of us," Quatre said hopefully. "I can work hard, and together we can make certain his wife is comfortable. I could help in the house and -"

"You needn't convince me what a hard worker you are. I already know. I wonder . . . if we both came back this afternoon, maybe we could convince him to take us both. At least we could try."

"Oh, Duo, I'll pray ever so hard! I don't think I could stand it here by myself, and to go to a stranger's house alone, I just couldn't stand it!"

"Well, don't give it a single thought, Quatre. From what Miss Maxwell says, he is very kind-hearted." Duo smiled reassuringly. "We'll both beg and hope he really is soft-hearted."

"Who could resist you if you begged?" Quatre tried to laugh.

"Not Mr. Krushrenda . . . I hope. Come on, let's go pack our things. We have to be back here at one."

Their meager belongings were packed hurriedly and they returned to Helen's office promptly at one.

They paused before the door, hearing the murmur of voices within. One was definitely male, and could only be the very generous Mr. Krushrenda.

"Are you ready?" Duo whispered.

"Yeah, what should I do?"

"Just be ready to jump to your feet if I open the door. It might be nice if you could manage a few sniffles . . . just in case."

"If it will melt his heart, I will cry for him."

"If he refuses, we both will..." Duo muttered and inhaled, then knocked quickly on the door before he lost his nerve. He gave Quatre a quick, maniac grin when Helen called for him to come in. Then he opened the door and stepped inside.

Treize stood up as he entered the room and turned to face Duo. He took in the fey beauty and knew in an instant that his judgment had been correct. Duo was the most beautiful creature he had seen in a long time.

"Duo, come in, my dear." Helen said. "I want you to meet your benefactor, Mr. Krushrenda. This is one of my favorite boys. Duo has been with us since he was baby."

Duo walked closer, trying to match Treize's smile. He wasn't quite successful.

"Hello, Mr. Maxwell," Treize said. "It is a pleasure to meet you. You have no idea what a welcome addition you will be to my household. Do you have any questions you might care to ask me?"

"Yes, sir. If you don't mind."

"Ask away."

"Is your house very large?"

"Yes, very."

"Do you have many servants?"

"Actually, not many. Mrs. Une is head of housekeeping. She has two maids that come in daily, and a fabulous cook. There are no servants that stay all night. I have been taking care of my wife at night so I had no use for them. Of course, you will have your own room and live with us, so you will not have to go back and forth from here. As I said, you will be a welcome addition."

"I realize that I don't know you very well, Mr. Krushrenda," Duo said earnestly as he came to stand close to Treize. "But I want to promise you that I'll take care of your wife as best I can. I'll do everything required."

"I'm sure you will, my dear," Treize replied. He was smiling, and fighting the urge to reach out and touch Duo.

"Could I . . . could I ask for one favor?"

"Duo-" Helen began.

"Please, Miss Maxwell. This is very important, and I have to ask."

"A favor, Duo?" Treize asked calmly. He was willing to grant him just about anything he wanted if it would keep him grateful . . . and docile. "What is this favor?"

"I have a friend . . . a very dear friend-"

"Duo! Really, now -"

"What is it you want for this friend?"

Duo swallowed heavily. He had not expected such warmth in his eyes, or the smile to remain on his lips. Again a shiver of unnamed fear touched him. But he was fighting for Quatre, and there was no way he could back away now, as much as he wanted to.

"I . . . I want you to take him, too." It came out in a rush of words he could not stop. He put a hand on Treize's arm. "He's a really good worker and he'll work for practically nothing. He hardly eats anything! He's polite and an excellent reader. He can run errands and he'll be quiet! You'll hardly know that he's there. I'd be so grateful! I'd work without being paid. I'll do anything - "

"Duo, Duo." Treize's voice finally brought him to a breathless stop. He could feel his slender fingers on his arm and the clean scent of Duo filled his senses. He also heard the last words, "I'll do anything . . ." It seemed clear to him that Duo's friend would provide a hold over him that he couldn't afford to pass up. "What's his name?"

"Quatre . . . Quatre Winner," Duo said, his wide eyes filled with hope.

"Is he the same age as yourself?"

"Yes, actually we were born on the same day."

"Well . . . for your benefit . . . perhaps I can find a place for him. He can come with you for the time being, and if I find something suitable, then we'll proceed from there."

Duo's eyes filled up with tears of gratitude, and Treize was pleased with himself.

"You'll never forget it, I swear," Duo said softly, fighting the tears in his eyes.

"I hope not." Treize smiled. He planned on not regretting it.

Duo left his side and raced to the door and threw it open. Neither he nor Treize paid attention to the now silent Helen. Duo drew a very nervous Quatre inside and watched his eyes light up with happiness when he was told he'd be going with them.

There was excitement, confusion, and repeated good-byes before Duo and Quatre were safely tucked into Treize's carriage and on their way to their new home.

Duo looked around him in awe as they entered the affluent neighborhood in which they would soon be living in. He had never seen such luxuries as a well-manicured garden, or the clothes that the ladies wore in the passing carriages.

Duo and Quatre felt very drab and poor looking at the people that passed them in their rich clothing and jewels.

Duo had always hated the drab gray button-up shirts and black trousers all the orphan boys were forced to wear. They were dependable but not pretty or fashionable.

As they disembarked before Treize's home, both boys gazed up at it in wonder, but only Duo noticed a passing carriage. Several young ladies had glanced his way, and then bent their heads together to whisper and laugh. Duo's cheeks flushed, and he tasted the nauseating feeling of acute embarrassment and anxiety.

Duo was unaware of Treize's eyes upon him and his satisfied half smile. There would be a price to making Duo happy, but he intended to pay it.

Once inside, Quatre and Duo soon discovered that they would not share the same room as they had hoped. Quatre was given a small room behind the kitchen; where his duties would be to help the cook prepare Mrs. Krushrenda's meals, then carry them to her on a tray. Unless he was sent for, he was not to go upstairs.

Treize told Duo to follow him, and they climbed the wine-colored carpeted stairs, first to the second floor, then to the third. Here, Duo was shown to the room he would occupy. To Duo it seemed he was far away from the woman that he was supposed to be caring for. But he shrugged the thought away with the idea that of course Mr. and Mrs. Krushrenda wanted their privacy when they settled down for their evenings together. He promised to himself to be smart enough to keep to his own floor unless he was needed, and not to disturb the family when he was not.

To have a whole room to himself was rare indeed, and he intended to enjoy his own privacy as well.

Treize watched as Duo smilingly surveyed the room. He had not yet realized that it was a room whose door had no lock.