Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell ❯ Strategy ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell - 10/?

~~~~~~~

Warnings: See Chapter 1. Minor lime this chapter.

Spoilers: None for GW, oodles for Pretty Woman, to an extent.

Disclaimer: I don't really need to be Captain Obvious here, do I? No ownership, no profit, yadda yadda. Written for fun, not profit. Don't own IBM.

Edulcorate (verb) - To free from harshness (as of attitude); to soften

~~~~~~~

Chapter 10 - Strategy

Heero blinked when Duo told him what he wanted, but nodded and turned to the bedroom, with its adjoining bath, to shower and get dressed.

Duo watched him go, then released the breath he hadn't known he'd been holding.

That had been harder than he'd thought it would be. God, had it been harder.

He'd thought he was immune to Heero after last night, but when Heero had turned slightly to ask him a question, his lips RIGHT THERE, Duo had nearly forgotten what he'd wanted to say.

He felt like some shy youth building up the courage to ask a girl to the prom.

Duo Maxwell did not do 'shy.'

This was not a date. This was merely using one of Heero's dubious skills to his advantage. Tomorrow would be the closest that he could even remotely consider a 'date' - not that he was thinking of it in those terms. He hadn't lied to Heero. He wanted someone with him when he went to yet another business networking event. This time it was that ridiculous festival with all the necessary hobnobbery and suck-up-ishness that such events entailed. If he hadn't 'hired' Heero, he might have teased Wufei about hiring Meiran instead, then winced slightly and rubbed his jaw.

Even in the ranks of the wealthy, there was a definite hierarchy to be observed, and Duo and Wufei were automatically near the top, based on the value of their accumulated assets.

Wufei. His partner had been, Duo couldn't say 'giddy,' but a damn sight more than excited, that Peacecraft had so easily been forced against the ropes. Duo found himself wondering at Wufei's background. For all his intelligence, sometimes Wufei seemed to forget that a cornered animal would bite. Maybe it was the supreme confidence he had that things would turn out in his favor in the end.

He'd known Wufei for a relatively short time, really, and had been almost immediately impressed with the man's ability to keep a rein on his obviously short fuse. Except where Meiran was concerned. That had been an interesting first meeting.

After that rocky excuse for an introduction, they'd found that they were of a similar mind in many things, and their particular areas of expertise complemented each other.

Wufei acted as if it had been a foregone conclusion in the end, but he knew that they were both just as surprised when that first highly risky business venture paid off. In spades. The adage it takes money to make money was entirely true, and once they had it, they just kept making it.

Duo lived for the thrill of the hunt, the satisfaction he got when he took a company, effectively disassembled it, sold the smaller subsidiaries, and turned an obscene amount of profit. It wasn't the money, really, although he wasn't about to complain that he had it.

Hilde and he had gotten into a major argument one day, not long before she'd sprung the long distance breakup call on him. She'd argued that money didn't buy happiness, and he'd told her then she'd obviously never not had any. It was the closest he'd ever come to telling her about his past, and she'd been taken aback by the statement. Duo thought he'd blown it, had given too much of himself away, then she'd come back with "and it can't buy love" either. That was the beginning of the end, he thought, any issues with his sexual preferences aside.

What was taking Heero so long?

Duo found him in the bedroom, his leather pants in one hand and the pair from Prada in the other, assessing them both.

It looked as though a slight alteration to the day's itinerary was going to be necessary.

~~~~~~

It hadn't taken all that long, really, but the look on Heero's face while his measurements were being taken was almost comical, because the tailor's attention was nowhere near Heero's glare of doom. It was when Duo looked at the furrowed brows that he realized Heero had darkened them to match his hair.

Heero had insisted he knew all his measurements, and there was no need to be drag out the tape measure.

Duo felt a twinge of embarrassment on Heero's behalf when the tailor became indignant, launching into a lecture about not taking ANYONE'S word on their own measurements, and if Heero had a hangup about having another man's hands on him, he'd only have to deal with it for a short while.

At one point he'd accidentally jabbed Heero with the pin, and before Heero could react, the tailor told him "Don't be a big baby, I'm sure you can handle a little prick."

Duo had to turn his head away and stifle the laugh that was brewing at that comment.

Fortunately men's clothes, for the most part, were far less elaborate than women's. Hilde had never been much for shopping either, but she'd had so many damn layers to try on.

Once Heero's measurements were written down, it was a simple matter to flip through pages of the catalog in front and arrange for which pieces should be sent to the hotel later. The tailor was about to protest, insisting he needed to do a proper final fitting, but Heero's glare finally seemed to make him reconsider his words, and seeing as he'd taken the measurements himself, grudgingly accepted that was how it was going to be.

Heero waited near the entrance as Duo reviewed the order and added one item to it. The glossy black hair on Heero's wig reflected the sunlight from outside, making his hair look almost blue. He'd really wanted to forbid Heero from wearing it, but had let it go. It was a shame to stuff those damned touchable locks of hair under what looked like a skullcap in comparison.

Duo had really liked the way his conditioner smelled in Heero's hair. Every time he'd leaned over Heero, he'd been hard pressed not to bury his nose in it.

Cornered animals bit at times, but sometimes they tried to bolt.

He slipped the tailor a twenty before joining Heero at the doors to the shop, and they walked outside together.

Duo was inserting the key in the car door when Heero spoke.

"This car isn't yours."

"No," Duo agreed, opening the door for Heero and then walking around to the driver's side.

"You have enough money to keep a car of your own in Los Angeles."

Duo had already realized that Heero didn't ask many questions. He made statements, observations, and expected the missing information to be filled in. Duo thought that he'd seen that tactic used before somewhere.

"Just because I have it doesn't mean I want to waste it. A rental car is given periodic maintenance and its own storage facility. I own property here, too, but I use it to generate income. Staying in a hotel means someone else cleans up after you, and when I'm tied up with meetings, I don't want to worry about menial chores building up."

Heero thought about what Duo said. He noticed that Duo hadn't said he didn't want to be bothered with hiring a maid service. He acted like having someone clean up after him was a treat instead of something to be expected in daily life.

His inquisitive mind was going to be the death of him, but he couldn't help feel the draw of this particular mystery. A mystery that went by the name of Duo Maxwell.

They rode in silence for a few minutes.

"You were bluffing last night."

Duo looked at Heero with a slightly shocked, slightly amused expression, before returning his eyes to the road.

"I was."

"Why?"

Duo felt a tiny bit of triumph. Ah, an interrogative statement from Heero this time.

"How did you know?" he countered.

Heero opened his mouth and snapped it shut, Duo noticed out of the corner of his eye. He seemed to struggle with something. All this in the span of mere seconds.

"The Food and Drug Administration is governed by the Department of Health and Human Services, not the Department of Justice."

Duo shrugged. "Doesn't matter. He's shaken now, that's all that counts."

"Is it true? The rumor?"

"What is this, Heero, twenty fucking questions? What do you care?" he snapped, then calmed himself. He'd been doing so well, but he hated his business practices being called into question.

Of course Heero said nothing more the rest of the way to their next destination.

~~~~~~

By the time Duo parked and they got out of the car, he had managed to paste his cheerful, everything-is-fine-with-the-world smile on his face.

Heero looked at the sign over the shop and then back at Duo questioningly.

"What?" Duo said, no anger in his voice this time.

Heero shook his head. It wasn't that he was surprised. Duo had been perfectly clear that he'd wanted Heero's help in designing a brand new computer, from scratch. He supposed he hadn't really wanted to believe it, because it was so not what he expected.

He just couldn't grasp the why.

He really should have feigned ignorance of any sort of computer knowledge, but it had been something that he'd been interested in since high school, and when it came time to decide on a career choice, he'd taken that into consideration.

It was getting harder and harder to block out all the reminders. Duo was dangerous, he reminded himself. In more ways than one.

But for some reason he was reluctant to end their twisted little business arrangement.

After they entered, Duo didn't make a single move toward any of the items on display, and when a ridiculously young looking sales technician attempted to approach, he halted the man's progress by simply lifting his index finger and refusing to make eye contact.

He looked at Heero, who was feeling a little bit lost, despite the comforting reassurance of a familiar environment.

"My specifications are simple," Duo said. "Build your dream computer."

"Excuse me?" the words slipped out from Heero unbidden.

"Build your dream computer. If you could design a laptop to your exact specifications, what would it be? That's what I want."

Heero frowned. That didn't make any sense. What he would use it for and what Duo would weren't necessarily the same things. Would Duo want a computer that could handle high graphics images? One that had sound and picture quality for teleconferencing? Obviously a decent ethernet card...

"It's simple, Heero, whatever it is that you would want. No trick. I don't want you to ask me anything. Just build what you'd want for yourself." He emphasized the last word.

"I'll be back in half an hour," he said, then walked out.

The technician looked at Heero, who sent one last glance at Duo's retreating back. Heero then turned to face the young man, the tiniest gleam of excitement in his eyes.

"I want to see your selection of central processing units," he began.

~~~~~~~

Duo returned half an hour later, as promised, but Heero was involved in a debate over the use of a touch pad versus IBM's Thinkpad technology. Personally, he wasn't too crazy about anything other than a plain old mouse, but he'd learned to sacrifice for the convenience of a portable computer. He refused to cart the optional mouse with him. All in one piece, slim, compact.

Heero noticed Duo's arrival right away, and his mind automatically replied the responses to the young salesman's protests.

It hadn't taken him long to realize that this was Duo's way of learning more about him, although why Duo was even interested was beyond him. Knowing if he had any diseases was understandable, but then Heero's insistence on condoms may have made been sufficient reassurance. This went beyond knowing things about Heero that could potentially hurt Duo. This was a very personal question; to Heero it was as valid a window to his mind as any form of projective analysis, such as a Rorschach test. More so, even.

But he'd done it anyway. The very idea of having carte blanche to design a laptop, to do so without restrictions or paradigms, was a lure he hadn't been able to resist. He had only turned to seek out Duo a couple of times, only to be reminded that Duo wasn't there. Finally he gave in and did exactly what Duo had requested. Built his, Heero's, idea of the perfect laptop.

It wouldn't be ready for two days, and he wondered what Duo would think of it when he was done, but that would be closer to the end of this insane 'contract' they'd initiated two days earlier, and Duo's opinions were less likely to matter then. Even if they did, he had already collected far more for the week than he'd expected, having demanded half of the money up front.

While Duo watched the light in Heero's eyes die a little bit, his cell phone rang. He answered it with a sigh.

"Yes, Wufei," he answered, not bothering to check the number displayed on the tiny screen. Who else had such impeccable timing?

"Peacecraft seems to have some sort of Plan C," Wufei's voice was both irate and concerned.

"You don't say."

"Apparently there is some up and coming business interested in some sort of merger with Peacecraft. They're currently a small family owned business out of Nevada..."

Duo had rather expected the unexpected, and, although surprised at the direction that Milliardo's mental wheels were spinning, he had to say he was impressed. Either fate was smiling on the Peacecrafts, or the man hadn't laid all his cards on the table when he'd folded that night at the Samurai.

"You're going to leave Meiran a widow at the rate you're going," he said into the phone. "How soon do you need me there?"

"Five minutes ago."

"Of course." He clicked off the phone. It was understood that he would be there as fast as humanly possible.

"Heero."

His escort turned without another word to the technician he'd been arguing with. Duo jerked his head toward the door, and the two of them left.

~~~~~

"So what kind of 'family' did you show Peacecraft anyway, last night?"

"What do you mean?" Duo was deliberately being vague, and Wufei wanted to throttle him.

"You brought a date last night, didn't you? Not that it much matters what Peacecraft thought of you after your yanking his chain the way you did."

Even though Wufei was ready to burst a vein at the latest bit of news on the Peacecraft acquisition front, he found himself curious as to what his partner had meant the other day. Duo was obviously hiding something, and seemed very pleased with himself about it, too. Pleased, but at the same time, guilty.

"Your car drives like a wet dream," Duo said suddenly, and although Wufei recognized it for the distraction it was, he couldn't resist letting loose with the stream of colorful language and creative curses that he'd uttered the night Duo had stolen his car.

And of course, puff up with pride at Duo's compliment. He'd felt the same way, although he wouldn't have put it in quite those terms.

~~~~~

They worked until late that night, digging through records of assets they had, scanning for names in the computer's Rolodex, trying to determine if the Nevada company had enough assets to keep Peacecraft afloat.

The phone rang, and Duo glanced at the number displayed.

"It's your little woman," he said, then leaned back to stretch.

Wufei gave a sound a little like a snort. "Better not let her hear you call her that," he said, then answered the phone.

Meiran was the one who'd actually arranged for the fruit and champagne that first night. She somehow felt that a luxury hotel was a lonely place to be, and even though she and Wufei were no more permanent residents than Duo was, she had wanted to do something to make Duo feel welcome, away from home as he was. Home. What was a home, really, other than a residence listed for tax purposes? Duo felt an odd little twinge as Wufei told Meiran that they were just about done for the night, then pausing while she said something in response.

He sat there thoughtfully until Wufei hung up the phone.

"You didn't tell her you love her," he teased.

Wufei looked at him like he'd grown an extra head, and a very, very faint blush graced the top of his cheekbones.

"Meiran does not need such reassurances," he said. "She knows I love her. I married her, didn't I?"

Duo chuckled. "So I'll see you tomorrow?" he asked.

Wufei rolled his eyes. "Yes. I know it's important, but these events are a long, painful means of torture."

"Just remember that we are there to gather information and design a new battle plan at the drop of a hat," Duo said, shutting down his computer. "The thrill of the hunt will have to be enough."

"I don't understand why they insist on setting it up like some sort of outdoor carnival," Wufei complained, grabbing his jacket.

Duo just shrugged. "Better get home, Wufei. I assume you don't need me to walk you to your car?"

With a laugh, he left the office, hearing Wufei swear at him anew.

Now that that was out of the way, it was time for Phase Two.

~~~~~

The packages had obviously been delivered, Duo noted, as they were still sitting untouched, some of the clothes draped over the back of the chair, a couple of midsize boxes on the floor under a small table that was more decorative than functional.

He was sitting on the floor in front of the loveseat, staring at the TV. Which, Duo noted, wasn't turned on. The wig was gone, current location unknown.

Heero saw Duo's reflection as the longhaired man approached him.

"Gets kind of loud in here when you do nothing more than listen to your own thoughts."

He turned around, and saw Duo smiling at him, but the cheerful, smirking countenance was at odds with the slightly melancholy voice he'd heard. Had Duo said that, or were the words only in his mind?

And since when did his mind's voice start to sound like Duo?

"Anyone ever tell you 'you can't con a con,' Heero?"

"I've heard the expression."

"Good." Duo sat down on the nearby armchair. "Let me get a few things straight between us, no pun intended," he winked. "You mentioned that it would be five hundred dollars to change my mind about being gay, but you also said that the thousand for that first night would cover just about anything except bondage. This is true, correct?"

Heero nodded.

"Furthermore, you also added that prostate stimulation was extra." Heero nodded again. "What I need to know before I go any further is whether or not the eight thousand for the week will cover both those things. It seems you keep adding codicils to our agreement while I'm distracted."

"No," Heero shook his head.

"No, what? No, they're not extra, or no, they're not included?" Duo reached into his pocket and pulled out a money clip. Half of Franklin's face was visible behind the monogrammed initial.

"You know it doesn't really matter to me, Heero, I have the money. So am I going to need to pay more, or not?"

"No. No, you don't need to pay me more for those things." Heero could have kicked himself. The guy was practically waving the money in front of him. Money that he could have used to maybe...do what with? Give it to Quatre so he could go out and blow it on more poker games? Why was he so pissed at his roommate all of a sudden?

"Good," Duo was saying. "I'm glad we cleared that up." The money was put away, and Duo stood up.

"I haven't been on many dates," he said. "Not the kind that require me to go through the elaborate dance of seduction that seems to be required for most people. With a snap of my fingers," he illustrated the gesture, "I don't have to do much at all to get them to flock to me. But I think I'd like to see what I can accomplish, if I have my mind on a different outcome."

Heero didn't like the way this conversation was going, but he'd already told Duo that almost anything was included. A small part of him was curious as well.

"If I am going to 'be gay,' as it were," Duo continued. "I should familiarize myself with various aspects of 'gayness,' I think. Maybe I will have to sniff out a future bedmate at a bar that caters to that sort of thing, or will need to determine a man's orientation based on his reactions to me. Do you have an accurate 'gaydar,' Heero?"

"It hasn't been a requirement of my job," he said dryly.

Duo smiled a bit. "I don't suppose it is. Tell me this, Heero, before you...changed careers, did you date? When did you realize you were gay?"

"Sexual orientation has nothing to do with my job, either," Heero snapped, and then realized what he'd done and bit his lip. Duo's eyebrows went up, more at Heero's reaction than the actual words.

"Hmm. Interesting. Food for thought. Fair enough, Heero, our earlier discussion didn't specifically address my desire to hear actual answers from you. Perhaps another time."

He knelt on the floor in front of Heero.

"If I later decide that I'm going to pursue a sexual relationship with a man, I need to be familiar with his body. I know my own. I know what feels good for me. I need to see how it feels for someone else. You're my guinea pig."

His hand was on Heero's thigh, and it was all he could do not to flinch from Duo's touch.

"You don't have to say anything," Duo said. "But I will be cataloging your responses to make informed decisions later on, so please, be honest." His hand ran up and down the thigh as he spoke, his thumb occasionally brushing tantalizingly close to Heero's groin.

He stood up. "Take off your clothes, please."

Heero stood up as well, and started to unbutton the shirt he'd borrowed from Duo earlier that day.

The pants were next. They were a bit too loose in the waist and cuffed at the bottom, as Duo had longer legs, so they slipped off easily once he unfastened the button and lowered the zipper.

"Mmm," Duo murmured appreciatively. "It's interesting, seeing a man who has hairless legs." He reached out a hand and brushed the back against Heero's shin. "You must go religiously, because there's no trace of stubble, even after two days. Hilde gave it up after the first time. Said it hurt like hell, and she just ended up needing to shave the next day anyway.

"Have a seat, Heero. Let me look at you."

Heero felt like things had spun out of his control from the moment Duo said 'please,' but he did as he was asked. Told, he corrected himself. Did as he was told.

Duo leaned up over him and ran a hand up Heero's stomach, feeling the muscles contract under his palm, spreading out his fingers until he reached Heero's nipples, then lifting his hand and trailing the tips of his fingernails in a straight line down Heero's chest. He continued to caress Heero's upper body with one hand, marveling at the differences between Heero's flat, hard chest, and Hilde's soft womanly curves.

Heero had an extremely trim build, and Duo would not be surprised if he had been occasionally mistaken for a girl in his youth. His body had a subtle strength about it, nothing overtly muscular, but well defined all the same.

He felt a slight tremor under his hand at one point, and felt his own breathing stutter in response. He moved between Heero's legs and ran both hands up and down the sides of that long torso.

He could see Heero struggling with his body's desires. Felt the answering pulse beneath his hands as they would make an unexpected detour to graze Heero's belly or hip. The next time his hands slid up to Heero's armpits, he slipped them behind Heero's back and ghosted his fingers over Heero's spine on the return trip to his lower back.

The only sound was Heero's raspy breathing, and Duo felt himself harden in response. He forced himself to keep his libido in check, waiting.

His hands touched all the places he could reach except one, and he continued the light massaging touches until Heero's breathing had become jagged. He cupped Heero's testicles in one hand, extending his index finger to probe at Heero's entrance, even though he couldn't reach it in their current position. He felt a sense of triumph as Heero's cock sprang to life.

He stood up.

"Thank you, Heero. Turn off the lights before you come to bed, would you?"

How does it feel, Heero?

He couldn't help smiling as he headed for the bedroom, leaving a perplexed and frustrated Heero sitting open mouthed on the loveseat.

tbc