Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell ❯ Thursday's Child ( Chapter 53 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell - 53/?

~~~~~

Minor edits to grammar, spelling, repetitious use of the same word, otherwise chapter is unchanged.

Warnings: AU, yaoi, coarse language, violence, angst, cliffhangers, red herrings, mention of various vices, random bits of useless knowledge, occasionally explicit sex, enough footnotes to choke an army of horses.

Rating: NC-17

Spoilers: Nah

Disclaimer: I don't really need to be Captain Obvious here, do I? No ownership, no money being made, yadda yadda. Written for fun, not profit.

Archived at:
http://www.atsui.org
http://www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com/gw /Mookie/gwmookie.htm

Edulcorate (verb) - To free from harshness (as of attitude); to soften

~~~~~

Chapter 53 - Thursday's Child

Duo had been completely unable to entertain the idea of sitting through the rest of that meeting. First there was the shock of seeing the suit he'd purchased for Heero. He had wanted it so badly to be Heero. Instead, it was a young man named Quatre Winner, the trump card in Peacecraft's deck. Winner had then spouted a bunch of ambiguous prattle, making Duo feel like he somehow knew something that he couldn't possibly be privy to.

Duo's eyes had drifted to the gray silk jacket across from him several times, despite his efforts to focus on the report. After the third time of wishing that the face above that collar might miraculously transform into Heero's, he realized it was time to stop pretending to himself.

He now understood why Wufei put so much faith in Janet. He'd need to talk to Wufei about giving her a raise after this.

The drive to the hotel had taken an eternity, and he'd practically thrown the keys to the rental car at the valet. Once in the lobby, the elevator couldn't arrive fast enough. He'd been tempted to run up all fourteen flights, but he knew he'd be breathless enough once he finally got to the room. He kept tapping the thumb of his right hand nervously against his thigh until the doors opened. By the time he'd reached the penthouse floor, his hands had shaken so badly he could barely get the keycard in the slot.

What waited for him on the other side? The wizard, or the lion? The gimmicky illusion of false power and wishes granted? Or the proud strength of spirit, undaunted even when Aslan had been bound and muzzled, his proud mane shorn from his head?

Duo was afraid he knew exactly what he'd find, or not find, before he managed to get the door open. He had a sinking feeling that the suite would be empty, but he'd hoped against hope he was wrong.

It was painfully obvious the moment he walked into the living room that his suspicions were correct. The suite felt empty, like a fire had burned out long ago. He hadn't felt this way since his mother accused him of being one of the teens who were arrested for possession of marijuana.

He forced himself to look at the table, and noticed two things. First, the leather tote was gone, meaning Heero had taken the computer with him.

Second, so was the stack of money.

It had just been a job to Heero, then.

~~~~~

Milliardo spoke one word, and it seemed as if a judgment had just been passed in that single syllable.

"Noin."

She returned his gaze unflinchingly.

"Zechs."

Wufei's eyes widened at the unfamiliar form of address.

"What are you doing here?" Milliardo asked.

"A friend needed me."

His eyes blazed. "I don't need anyone!"

She abandoned her position of leaning against the doorjamb and stood up straight.

"No, you don't, do you? That's one of the problems right there. The Almighty Zechs, perfect in everything he does, no thanks to anyone else. The world doesn't revolve around you, Zechs, and you're not the only friend I have." Her eyes flicked to Relena, who looked torn between the option of hiding behind Quatre Winner and taking her own offensive stance against her brother.

Quatre neatly sidestepped that issue by gracing all the occupants of the room with a warm smile, one that belied the sharp mind he'd already exhibited several times with pertinent comments and intelligent questions regarding the details of the merger. He said something to Relena and then gently steered her out of the room.

It was Winner who had managed to bring them all to agreement so quickly, and yet Wufei didn't feel at all like he'd been bamboozled. Even after Meiran had alluded to a few surprises, the last thing he'd expected was a merger involving the man he'd impulsively attempted to protect just two nights earlier.

He didn't like unsolved mysteries, preferring to have all the facts in front of him. Heero was a prostitute possessing a background that required a high security clearance to access. Their new business partner, Quatre Winner, had looked to have a similar side job at that bar. Was Los Angeles a mecca for hookers with mysterious pasts? This was where Meiran wanted to live?

The only ones left in the room with him were Peacecraft and "Noin," who could have passed for Hilde's sister at first glance. He wasn't even sure how she'd gotten in the building, but that was one mystery that he wasn't as interested in at the moment. He decided to lean back against the table and wait to see what would happen next.

His presence didn't seem to impact the argument that was brewing several feet away.

"You always have to make a statement about everything," Noin said. "Look at your hair. You still haven't gotten it cut, all because you're determined to remind your father what you had to give up."

Milliardo smiled, but there was no mirth in his expression.

"I see you cut yours."

She ran a hand through her dark locks. "It was impractical to keep it that long. I'll give you that, Zechs, you somehow manage to keep that mane looking like a million dollars. I'm sure it's a real magnet for attention."

His eyes blazed briefly, then his manner became one of a disinterested party.

"Civilian life seems to agree with you," he said, and Wufei suspected there were a lot of undercurrents to that statement. "I'm surprised you didn't try it sooner."

"Don't start this shit with me," she ground out. "I thought you of all people would understand why I wanted to stay. The truth is, you resented that."

He smiled at her again, an infuriating smirk of amusement. "Yet you have a civilian job now," he commented.

"That just goes to show you how pathetic I am. I left the army for you, you conceited self-centered prick!" she exploded. "I don't know why I ever thought I was in love with you. I thought it would make you happy, but perhaps you also expected me to stay home, barefoot and pregnant, just to feed your ego."

"Don't talk to me about motivation!" he roared. "You know why I had to leave. I never held it against you, Noin. I never expected you to give up your military career the way I had to!" He looked furious suddenly. "Of course, I didn't expect you to succumb to the charms of the next set of blue eyes that glanced your way, just because we were having a few problems, either."

She looked surprised, Wufei noted. Actually, surprised was an understatement. She blinked at him, mouth agape, and seemed to be processing his words.

"What the hell?" she muttered, her brows furrowed. It looked to Wufei as if she were a teakettle ready to boil over as the implication of his words set in.

He was right about that, but he was completely stunned by the next words out of her mouth.

"You son of a bitch," she spat. "Are you talking about Yuy?"

~~~~~

Heero had been surprised to find Quatre gone when he'd arrived at their apartment, although not quite as surprised as he'd been to hear Relena Peacecraft's voice calling to him from a limousine that had been driving along West Pico Boulevard earlier.

He supposed it was only fitting that he run into her one last time, to tie up loose ends, perhaps. She'd thanked him profusely for all he'd done, despite his protests that he had shared little more than speculation and had no concrete evidence to back anything up. For whatever reason, it appeared that her brother was now planning on going ahead and closing the deal with Duo. Coincidentally, Relena had been on her way to meet Milliardo when she'd spied Heero walking.

Fortunately Relena had not expected him to engage in conversation during the drive. Just before getting out of the limo, he'd given in to impulse and cupped her cheek with one hand. He touched his forehead to hers and thanked her. He wondered if she knew he meant for more than just the ride.

He'd felt a bit uncomfortable once he realized that she planned on waiting for him to enter the apartment before having her chauffeur drive away, but he'd expected that they'd be gone once he shut the main door behind him. When it became apparent that Quatre wasn't home, he'd made his way to his bedroom and seen from his window that Relena and her driver were still there. She looked up and waved farewell to him just before the limousine pulled away from the curb.

He noticed the rumpled sheets and frowned before flopping down on his bed.

He reached into his pocket and withdrew the lump that was digging into his thigh, then just stared at it for several minutes. He'd counted it earlier at the hotel, and of course every dollar was there, as if to underscore their original agreement.

He'd been very tempted to leave it when he'd picked up the portable computer. Had been tempted to sweep his hand across the table and send the bills flying, landing where they may, to express what he thought of the message Duo had conveyed loud and clear. He didn't want it, didn't need it. He did not wish to carry the reminder of a mistake he'd made.

Then he'd remembered the way Duo had relaxed slightly as he'd worked all those tangles loose. How could he think it was all a mistake? If he closed his eyes he could almost smell Duo's hair as he'd held it to his face after they'd made love.

He wasn't foolish enough to think that it had actually been good for Duo, at least not in a physical sense. In the light of day, he knew he'd been a bit rough, as seen by the marks on Duo's body. He'd hoped, however, that Duo recognized that it had been more to him than just sex.

Duo had been right to feel insulted, he supposed. First he'd neglected Duo's pleasure entirely, then he'd acted horrified the next day when he saw the bruises, however slight, that he'd left on Duo's body. The man was no fragile miss, and it wasn't as though Heero had even realized what he was doing. There was little excuse for his lack of finesse, but he couldn't say he'd have changed a thing if he could go back and do it over. He hadn't realized how much he'd needed to just let go the way he had.

He had never penetrated another man before. Quatre had wanted him to, but he had enjoyed sex with his roommate far too much the first time, something that had surprised him greatly. He couldn't turn around and fuck Quatre, coldly pretending it didn't mean anything more than a simple physical release. Quatre had a way of getting under one's skin. For all Quatre's cynicism, he had a refreshingly honest concern for others. Simply put, he cared far more than was good for him.

Duo had been tearing down the barriers Heero had built around himself. Perhaps it hadn't really been that much of a challenge. Quatre had removed the first stone, and the wall hadn't been in place all that long, but he'd felt it as it slowly began to crumble.

It was more than just assuming the unfamiliar seme role, much more than that. He'd wanted Duo to chip away at that battlement, craved it, manipulated things the best he could to help Duo in that effort.

He'd been immediately attracted to Duo. That was part of the reason he'd offered the blowjob that first night. It was why he'd been unable to resist caressing the Enzo as he walked around it, thinking how it felt beneath his hands, wondering how it would feel to stroke the hard planes of Duo's body instead. Even in the dimly lit hotel exterior he'd suspected Duo's clothes hid an attractive build.

They'd spent the entire week vying for control, and Heero had gladly given it over just as often as he wrested it from Duo. Heero had slowly come to grips with the fact that he'd found someone he could consider his equal on many levels. When they'd fought, it was apparent that he was a bit stronger, but Duo was much faster, which was impressive in itself after the training Heero had undergone. The element of surprise had worked in Heero's favor that day near the elevator, even though Duo had managed to effectively block his exit from the hotel. His body tingled as he remembered the way Duo had felt, pressed against him from chest to thigh.

At least he had managed to reassure himself that he hadn't grown soft. With few exceptions, he had little trouble with his clients. They seemed to prefer making up stories about what kinks they'd talked Heero into and how hard they'd ridden him, knowing that Heero couldn't care less and wouldn't contradict them if they embellished the truth. A lot.

He'd held his own against Duo, and had reacted instinctively when Wufei had approached him from behind. That would make a big difference when he reported in for his physical assessment checkup. Thankfully tests for sexually transmitted diseases were part and parcel of the exam, just as much as the mandatory drug screening was, so he wouldn't need to ask for those to be performed. He was sure he was clean, but it would be nice to know for a fact once the lab results came back.

The money he held no longer mocked him. It was so much more than payment for services rendered. It represented the fulcrum between his error-ridden past and his future. It had been a convenient excuse to give in to the deep-seated desire to stay with Duo, who was just as attractive as he'd expected. Heero had enjoyed introducing Duo to the difference between fellatio performed by a woman and that performed by a man, but he'd also been curious about the client who'd demanded the opportunity to reciprocate the favor almost immediately. Heero should have known then, when he gasped Duo's name as he climaxed, that he was a goner.

It would have been easy for them both to pretend they hadn't met because Heero was a prostitute and Duo was just another john, at least in the beginning, but the facts could not be changed. They'd met because Heero approached him with the intent of selling his body.

There were a good many things in life that were unpleasant, but burying them under layers of denial was futile. The past had a way of poking its nose into the present at the most inopportune times. Acting like the proverbial ostrich with its head in the sand would be basing the future on a shared lie.

The future. Heero was finally willing to accept that life was full of both the good and the bad, which seemed a ridiculous thing to learn at this point, considering what he did for a living. It felt weird to think of his job again in the present tense, his real job, but he'd known Friday that his weekly phone calls would soon be a thing of the past.

He supposed his idiotic quest for penance would come up during the mandatory sessions he had to attend over the next few weeks. However, that would be held in the strictest confidence.

The ugly truth was he'd been a prostitute. He wasn't proud of it, but he was done running from things that couldn't be changed. He winced as he imagined the look on Duo's face when he returned to the hotel to find the money had been taken, but the rude wake-up call had been necessary. Duo needed his head pulled out of the sand, and Heero had faith that he would have no option left but to accept the truth when he got back to the hotel.

No, Heero would not do a thing differently. He would not willingly give up what he'd found, something infinitely precious. It would need to be nurtured, but at least now it had been allowed out of the box.

Which reminded him...

He put the money on his dresser and moved his bed six inches to the left, exposing the loose floorboard underneath.

As he pried the board off, his thoughts returned to Duo.

Duo was obviously neither ready nor willing to open his eyes and see what Heero had eagerly embraced. He couldn't deny that it hurt, realizing that they weren't at the same point of self-discovery, but there was a saying about the course he was on and how it never ran smoothly.

The wave of longing he'd felt in Quatre's presence earlier had confused him briefly. He wasn't used to all the different levels of attraction. In college, he'd had sexual urges, and sometimes he'd had the opportunity to take care of them with a partner. He'd found quite a few people physically appealing, but had never really felt an emotional closeness to anyone other than Kitty. To feel both for the same person was a foreign concept.

With Quatre he had a good friend, former lover, and a comrade-in-arms. If there was one person who could relate to Heero's self-loathing over one particular choice he'd made, it was Quatre. He cared for Quatre, and he had to admit to a certain chemistry with the blond as well.

His feelings for Duo, however, weren't the same as what he felt for Quatre. In some respects, he supposed there were similarities, but the differences became more apparent during his walk around Los Angeles. He'd deemed it safe to return to the apartment by the time Relena had offered to drop him off wherever he was going. All that, and Quatre wasn't even here.

The walk had done him good, though. It had been so simple, so painfully obvious, when Duo was right there in the room with him. He'd spent so much time with Duo in the span of a week that his brief temptation to kiss Quatre at the hotel had made him doubt everything he'd been convinced of, worried that he'd misread his feelings. If Duo had touched him, maybe even looked at him, before he'd left for his meeting, perhaps it would have been much harder to steel his resolve. He had been so sure of Duo's feelings, even if Duo had not.

Now that he'd had time to think it through, he stood firm by his initial assessment. He knew how he felt, and he was willing to bet he knew how Duo felt.

What he hadn't realized was that there was more at stake than the obvious. Heero never cared what people thought of him unless they were the few he considered friends. To accept what he felt and willingly follow it to see where it led was a natural next step. Duo had to find his own way to the same conclusion. At least Heero hoped it would be the same. If not, then it was better that they made the break now.

That first morning that Heero had woken up in the penthouse suite, Duo had told him in no uncertain terms what he thought of risky business propositions. It was entirely possible that Heero was wrong about the way Duo felt, but he'd meant the parting words he'd left Duo with. Dum spiro, spero.

And last time he checked, he was still breathing.

He glanced at the alarm clock on the dresser. Soon, he decided. He'd call soon.

~~~~~

Duo stood near the balcony ledge, much as he had the day before when he'd told Heero about his mother.

He didn't think he'd ever be able to use this suite again the next time he was in Beverly Hills. It seemed cold and unfriendly now.

The size was impractical, especially for one person, but he'd occasionally give in to that desire to allow himself the best there was. He worked hard to get where he was now, and that meant he no longer had to deny himself the little things.

Then he no longer denied himself the bigger things either.

And he would swear he could hear laughter ringing through his head, telling him that had to be the biggest lie he'd ever told himself. He'd denied himself something worth a hell of a lot more than a week in a luxury suite.

What had Heero seen when he stood out here last night, looking out at the nighttime sky? Was he looking at the stars, the moon? Or was he doing what Duo was, blind to anything other than his own past, to his own regrets?

Did Heero have regrets about the past week?

He cleared his throat a few times, unsuccessful at ridding the lump that had lodged there.

He had been furious when Hilde broke up with him. He'd felt he at least deserved a face-to-face confrontation, but he had also felt a sense of relief. It felt like he'd finally been able to remove a necktie that was too restrictive.

Her parting words to him had angered him, but he supposed they'd stuck with him, subconsciously. Why else would he have gone along with Heero when he let himself into the Enzo, if not to prove Hilde wrong?

Heero had changed. Not the person he was, definitely not that, but Duo had recognized the difference that morning. It was as if all the subtle hints Heero had been giving him all week were no longer necessary, because he'd suddenly come to a conclusion. It was obvious he'd expected Duo to draw the same one.

The entire time, Duo had refused to look Heero in the eye. He hadn't wanted to change his mind, hadn't wanted to see how his words affected Heero. When Heero said his name, just before he left, he had a feeling if he'd made eye contact then, he'd find pity staring back at him. How dare Heero feel sorry for him? He wasn't the one who was going back out on the street.

His gut twisted again. How could he have said what he had after the shower, after the week they'd had together? He'd wanted to call the words back as soon as they left his lips, but Heero had gotten angry, and then things went downhill from there.

He sucked in a breath.

Heero had gotten angry.

Heero had never demonstrated anger, at least not like that. His eyes had flashed a few times in indignation, and they'd gotten into a couple of fights...his groin twitched with the memory...but he had never come out and yelled at Duo like he had earlier. It was more Heero's style to step back and come up with a new approach to throw Duo off guard.

Heero had been completely in the right, because what Duo said was uncalled for. Heero had given as good as he got. It hadn't been pretty.

The truth wasn't pretty. Reality was the man behind the curtain after all.

His mind called forth a picture of a younger Heero sitting with that girl from his past, maybe someone who looked like Relena Peacecraft, watching Judy Garland sing her way down the yellow brick road. He didn't like the image. Not one bit.

He'd tried so hard to find all he could about Heero, but when he found something that made him uncomfortable, he wanted to pretend it hadn't happened. In the beginning, Heero had been more of an interesting challenge, but by the end of the week, he'd seen glimpses of someone he wanted to get to know as a person.

Maybe he had been expecting nothing more than a sham wizard, but, to follow Heero's mixed analogies, he'd found Aslan instead. Aslan, and maybe Apollo, too.

It might have been easier if Heero had remained angry, but he'd suddenly gone quiet. His voice was almost tender and full of understanding when he'd said Duo's name. Duo should have recognized the Latin words as the farewell they'd been intended as.

Perhaps their destinies had been determined before he'd counted out the money for Heero and placed it on the table. Before he'd shoved his dick into Heero's ass, before he, in return, allowed Heero to fuck him. Hell, maybe the fates had woven this path well before Hilde had ever called him last week.

~~~~~

Heero felt a bit better, knowing his gut instincts weren't as horribly inaccurate as he'd feared. He didn't know who was responsible for what looked to be a major drug cartel, but he was sure Dorothy Catalonia did, even if her grandfather wasn't as involved as it appeared on the surface. Heero was willing to bet that girl had a finger in every pie. Four and twenty blackbirds...he could picture the blonde with that same Mona Lisa smile, calmly cutting into the pie crust and alternating between freeing some birds and neatly severing the heads of others.

His lips curved in that same half-smile he'd shared with Quatre. Hadn't he always thought fairy tales were rather gruesome? He thought he might like to see Quatre and Dorothy engaged in a battle of wits, to see how the subtle manipulation of Dorothy's held up against his roommate's. He could understand why Quatre's sister was so in favor of a match between the two.

It seemed that almost everyone he'd met this past week had some sort of connection to everyone else. Earlier in the week he might have been floored by the knowledge that Quatre knew Dorothy, but it seemed that there was little left in life capable of pulling the rug out from under him. That was a good sign. He needed to have both feet firmly on the ground in order to return to work.

Aside from the way he'd left things with Duo, there were only a few things that bothered him.

One was Milliardo's passing comment at the restaurant on his way out. Heero had finally placed that military stride, and he was reasonably certain he knew just who Milliardo Peacecraft was, but he also knew damn well he'd never met the man before.

The other was Relena's surprise when Heero had revealed that he'd seen both her brother and Dorothy earlier that day. Relena had expressed relief that Milliardo had listened to what she had to say. Heero had been glad as well, because he knew that Relena needed to be shown some faith in her abilities. When she announced that Peacecraft had no idea how much of a harpy Dorothy was, Heero had unconsciously shaken his head in disagreement. She'd noticed, and immediately asked what he was thinking. Once Heero told her he suspected Milliardo had the opportunity to see first hand what Dorothy was like, she'd frowned, and said, "but I thought..." and then trailed off. It was obvious she had known nothing about Dorothy's breakfast meeting with Milliardo Peacecraft.

Perhaps those two things weren't unrelated at all. He added one more name to his mental list of people to call. He wanted to be the one to break the news anyway.

He dragged his mind back to the present. He wondered where Quatre was. He wasn't being immodest when he admitted he had expected his roommate to be there waiting for him. Quatre had seemed reluctant to part ways after breakfast. Perhaps, despite the fact that Heero had cleaned the penthouse of any and all things that Duo had bestowed upon him, Quatre had assumed that he wasn't coming back.

He wondered if Duo had assumed the same thing.

He sighed. No matter what happened from this point on, he wouldn't trade the events of the previous day for the world. If nothing else, spending time with Duo the way he had only reinforced what he felt. It was completely irrational, because he'd only known Duo a week, but he was slowly regaining confidence in his ability to make snap decisions.

He reached into the space underneath the floorboard and withdrew a metal box that he'd purchased from Trowa shortly after Quatre had taken him in.

He set the floorboard and the furniture to rights and then sat on the bed again with the box. He glanced around the room, located the leather tote with the portable computer near the door, and then took a deep breath before opening the box.

Lying on top was a small informational pamphlet. He flipped it open to the card that was stapled inside and set the brochure aside for the moment. Next was a small cell phone, which he carried toward the computer case. He reached in and withdrew one of the cords from the pouch. He plugged in the phone and set it on his dresser to recharge.

There was only one thing left in the box. He lifted the gray foam, also courtesy of Trowa, to reveal the components that were nestled in a second piece of foam.

He realized with a start how much he'd missed it.

He'd been lucky he hadn't been caught with it. California did not offer reciprocity for permits issued in other states, and since this one was registered under his own name back home, it wasn't like the department issued G18 that could legally be carried interstate. Bringing it with him back home would unfortunately require checking it in at baggage claim.

It was easier to smuggle past state borders when you traveled by land. He wasn't sure what the hell he'd been thinking when he'd taken it with him, other than it had been a long time since he'd not had one strapped to his hip. He supposed just knowing it was there was a security blanket. It had scared the hell out of Quatre, but he hadn't planned on using it that way. He hadn't planned on using it at all, really. It was one thing to break the law by carrying it concealed, but another to have it loaded as well.

His fingers ran over the pieces reverently and he gave into the temptation to assemble it.

If fit into his hand just the way he'd remembered it.

He lifted the Glock and sighted it. It was unloaded, just like it had been the night Quatre found him, but there was something about just holding it that he found reassuring.

Perhaps one day he'd get the chance to teach Duo to shoot. He found it incredibly erotic, the thought of standing behind his lover with Duo's body pressed back against his. His mouth went dry as he imagined reaching around Duo's body to position his fingers on the handgun, his lips next to Duo's ear explaining how he'd always found a hard grip best for this activity. Of course it was just a fantasy; he'd never treat gun handling as mere foreplay. Firearms were to be taken very seriously. They required, no, demanded, respect.

Still, there was just something damned sexy about the visual image of Duo, using Heero's own gun, his legs slightly apart and his grip hard and firm, the way Heero liked it, emptying the entire chamber into the target.

He was sure Freud would have something to say about that.

~~~~~

When Duo first got to the hotel, he didn't know how long he'd just stood there, staring at the empty table. He didn't remember taking off his jacket and tie, didn't remember making his way to the balcony where he'd been for quite some time.

He wondered what he could have done differently, or should have done differently, and yet knew he still would have done and said all the things he had.

He could still picture the way Heero had stood next to the desk, resting his knuckles on it as he spoke in that quiet tone of voice, the one that smacked of understanding.

Duo hadn't been able to look at his face, but he'd been just as incapable of avoiding watching Heero's body language whenever he'd dared send a furtive glance in his direction.

He left the balcony and walked over to the desk, idly stroking his fingers along the surface where Heero's hip had been leaning, the same side of the desk where Heero had set up the second computer when they'd played video games yesterday.

He looked down at the polished wood as his fingers met something unexpected. Something small and unobtrusive.

He drew that hand to his mouth as he realized what he'd touched.

Two small plastic cases, stacked one on top of the other. They were identical, and Duo recognized them at once, because he'd seen one of them the first night he'd asked Heero to stay. He also knew what he'd find if he uncapped them.

Heero's contact lenses.

tbc