Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell ❯ And Kiss Your Wing ( Chapter 63 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell - 63/64?

~~~~~

Warnings: AU, yaoi, coarse language, violence, angst, cliffhangers, red herrings, mention of various vices, random bits of useless knowledge, occasionally explicit sex, enough footnotes to choke an army of horses.

Spoilers: Nah

Disclaimer: I don't really need to be Captain Obvious here, do I? No ownership, no money being made, yadda yadda. Written for fun, not profit.

Pairings to date: 2x1x2, 3+4, 4x3, 5+M/5xM, 9+6, past 2xH, past 4x1

Archived at:
http://www.atsui.org

http://sweetlysour.net

http://theforsakenwk.com
http://www.gundam-wing-diaries.150 m.com

Edulcorate (verb) - To free from harshness (as of attitude); to soften

~~~~~

Chapter 63 - And Kiss Your Wing

Noin set down her cup of coffee and sighed. "Yuy, don't get me wrong, but perhaps you need to get out more. I think you've been married to your computer lately. The glow from the monitor is starting to affect your complexion."

His glare told her how humorous he found that particular comment and he turned back to his screen, his index finger twitching furiously.

"That's a neat little computer," she commented. "I don't recall seeing it before. Is it new?"

Heero's finger hesitated slightly before he selected the audio file recorded the night before and looked at her pointedly. She sighed again and put the audio jack in her ear.

The two of them were in an outdoor cafe and Heero had brought his portable computer with them, as he wanted to review the results of his part of the investigation with her before she left for California later that day.

"For what it's worth," she said, after they'd both removed their ear jacks and he'd tucked them into the outer pocket of the leather tote, "I think you've made significant progress."

"I know," Heero sighed. "It's just..."

She leaned forward. "It's just...what?"

"Something seemed off," he said with a shrug. "Can't put my finger on it, but I want to tread very carefully."

"A hunch?"

"No," he frowned. "Not exactly. At least, I don't think so."

She nodded. The worst part of an investigation was knowing there was a missing piece out there somewhere. If they could get a better idea of the big picture, perhaps it would be easier, but at the moment they were still working with what seemed like a dozen unrelated bits of information, while knowing that they tied together somehow.

"I'd like to call in an outside consultant," he said, drumming his fingers on the table.

"You mean Quatre Winner."

"Yes."

"How about just pulling him in for questioning?"

"He's in California now," Heero said.

She leaned back in her chair. "You want me to do the honors?"

"I'd like you to conference me in..."

"But you're not sure of your availability just yet."

He didn't need to respond in the affirmative, as they both knew the answer to that.

She frowned at him. "There's more to it than that."

He gave another half shrug.

Noin studied him again. "I've still not figured out exactly what the story is between you and Quatre, Yuy. Do I want to?"

Again the answer to that question was obvious to both of them.

"What did Une say when you told her you weren't going to record the conversation between you and Khushrenada?"

Noin shifted a bit uncomfortably.

He took the hint immediately. "You know, Noin, that they are allowing you to speak with him for a reason. The whole point is to approach him as if it's not an interrogation."

"I know," she agreed.

"I know," he repeated.

They were both silent for a while. He slowly disassembled his mobile computer and tucked each component into its carrying case.

A teasing smile started to play about her lips. "Japanese technology, Heero?"

His eyes snapped to hers at once. "Only the best."

"So explain to me why you've needed me to cart your sorry ass to work the past two days."

"My mother wanted to put the Insight to the test," he said. "She refuses to believe it gets sixty miles per gallon unless she's put it to the test."

Noin laughed. "You're very much like your mother, Yuy. You don't trust anything that you've not verified yourself."

He hesitated slightly, then shrugged. "I trust you."

She reached a hand across the table and laid it across one of his, squeezing briefly, then releasing it.

"How was it, going home again?"

"It didn't hurt quite so much," he said cautiously. "But...I did not go into the backyard while I was there."

He hadn't been able to, but he'd decided that was ok for now. He'd extended his condolences to the Vargas family while he was there, despite his trepidation at doing so. He did find out where Kitty's final resting-place was, although he had no intentions of visiting it.

The brief visit with his parents was no different than it had been any other time, although they did seem to respect that he was more subdued than usual. He'd never suspected that they knew just how deep his friendship with Kitty had been, but perhaps he'd underestimated them.

He had gotten into a debate with his mother regarding the Honda Insight, however, and he'd agreed to let her borrow his car for a week. There was no way in hell he was going to assume responsibility for her car, so he refused to take it in trade. He'd managed perfectly well without a vehicle the entire time he was in Los Angeles; he supposed he'd do just as well in Elizabeth.

When his mother had dropped him off at his apartment, she'd put a hand on his leg just before he got out of the car.

He'd glanced at her questioningly, and she'd simply said, "it was good to see you again."

He'd noticed then the traces of gray in her hair and the faint lines around her eyes. Time marched on whether you were ready for it or not. "I expect a full report on the testing conditions," he said with a smile, and she nodded.

"You can count on it, malcriado," she'd said, humor showing in her eyes at his look of surprise.

Noin watched as her partner's expression softened slightly, and decided he'd be embarrassed to know he was looking wistful.

"Think you can handle having to put gas in a car more than once a month while I'm gone?"

He snorted, and she knew he was back in the present with her. "I am counting on you to take good care of her."

"Her? Does your car have a name, too?"

"I'll tell you that if you'll 'fess up about whether your Glock does. I saw you fondling it before your range test."

"Your mind is perpetually in the gutter, Noin. Perhaps you'd like an appointment with Hunter instead?"

"I see what I see, Yuy."

"What did you see?"

"I saw that my partner was just as good as he was before he took off for parts unknown." She winked at him. "But you're still not as good as I am. Although I'll give you this, Yuy, you're better with a sniper rifle than even Zechs was."

"But not better than you?"

She made a sound of exasperation. "Ya know, this is what always galled me. It's all about his results on a damned range. And it wasn't six out of six, it was three out of three, twice! Zechs," she snorted. "The whole 'six out of six' makes him sound like a gunslinger in the Old West. For the love of all that is holy, we used M16s, not Colt .45s. I mean Peacemakers. Oh, hell."

Heero couldn't help it. A subtle grin appeared on his face. "Colt 45, Noin? Giving up your Peroni for a smooth malt liquor? Or maybe..." he cocked his head slightly to the side and opened his eyes as wide as he could, "you're thinking of trading in your Glock for an MP firearm?"

"No, no," she waved her hand impatiently. "It was the answer to a trivia question on some game show. The movie, that is, not the beer. Did you even know there was a movie with that name?"

"No, but I know someone who probably does." The words tumbled out of Heero's mouth before he could stop them. To ward off any speculation on the part of his partner, he threw out something he knew would keep her focused on her current rant. "So, no nickname for you then?"

To his surprise, she looked a bit sheepish, and she mumbled something under her breath.

Heero decided to have pity on both of them and stood up. She followed suit and stretched, then reached into her pocket.

"My treat, Yuy, for taking care of my baby while I'm gone. Although I expect a full tank of gas when I get her back. And don't park her under any trees, unless you want to spring for a car wash, too."

"Think you'd even notice?"

"Dark colors fade over time," she shrugged. "So zip it. Now c'mon, make like my faithful sidekick and take me to the airport."

He was sorely tempted to point out that would make him Agent "Ninety-noin" and her Maxwell Smart, but he merely bowed his head briefly and accepted her keys as she offered them.

Although, he supposed, a little bit of 'chaos' and a small lack of 'control' might be a good thing once in a while.

~~~~~

As Duo waited in the conference room for Meiran's call, he admitted that he was nervous about seeing Quatre Winner again. Their last meeting was not something he was proud of for several reasons.

However, he was not about to cower any longer. Personal feelings had no place in business, and although he and Wufei both had the utmost faith in Meiran, the fact remained that Duo preferred being personally involved with something of this magnitude.

It was also a first for their company, really. They didn't usually retain a business for long. To actually start over, like they had with their own firm, was exciting. The feelings of trepidation regarding the risks involved with such a venture weren't enough to dampen the enthusiasm he'd felt when he'd read the entire report.

In the conference room of the Los Angeles office, Meiran Long cast a glance at Quatre Winner, who seemed a bit uncomfortable. "Something you want to share with me?" she asked gently.

He shook his head, shoving his hands into his pockets to avoid twiddling his thumbs or worrying at a button or providing a half dozen other tells to his mental state.

"Men," she said with a shake of her head. "You all try too hard to fool yourselves that nothing is wrong. It's none of my business, really." She gave Quatre a long, hard look. "I just have one question for you. It's a bit personal, so you don't have to answer it if you don't want to."

Quatre swallowed nervously, almost wincing in anticipation.

She checked the television to insure the camera was aimed toward the conference table, then reached over to the speaker phone in the center of the table and pressed the appropriate button to dial the room where Duo was waiting for their call.

"Are you wearing any makeup?"

Quatre was so surprised by that question, he almost missed when Duo Maxwell's voice answered after the second ring.

"Show time," Meiran stage whispered, then she changed the video reception from their conference room to Duo's.

Both Quatre and Duo knew the importance of body language and facial expressions, which is why the teleconferencing with video was desirable for most of the interstate communications. It was far easier to tell when someone was stalling if you could pick up the subtle signs in posture, or look for facial tics.

It didn't make it any easier for either of them to make eye contact, even across a connection of fiber optic cables and electron beams, but they did so.

The meeting was more a formality than anything else, as Milliardo Peacecraft was currently meeting with Wufei regarding the sale of the pharmaceutical division still currently held by the Peacecraft Corporation.

In the end, though, both Duo and Quatre knew that their working relationship underwent a subtle shift. Instead of remembering the embarrassment of their last meeting, they quickly brainstormed several money-saving ideas, with Meiran wisely choosing to remain unnoticed - this time.

Once they'd laid out a few ideas that needed some follow-up, Meiran took her 'to-do' list and excused herself, leaving her employers to wrap things up on their own.

Duo cleared his throat. "I'd like to apologize," he began.

Quatre shook his head. "An apology is unnecessary. I understand."

"No," Duo said firmly. "Regardless of whether you do or not, my actions were uncalled for, and I owe you, and your...Trowa, an apology."

Quatre hoped the warmth in his face did not indicate that he was blushing. "Your apology is accepted. I'm sure my...I'm sure Trowa would say the same."

Duo took the plunge, before he chickened out. "Have you spoken to him recently?"

Now Quatre was almost positive he was at least a bit flushed, and he forced himself to think rationally before he responded. Which was a good thing, as he realized that Duo was referring to Heero.

Cautiously, he said, "what answer are you hoping to hear, Duo?"

Duo gave it some thought. Would he feel better, if he knew Quatre hadn't had any more contact with Heero since he'd left for wherever it was that he went? Or would he feel better at least knowing that Heero was alive and well?

He wasn't worried about Heero, really, it was more of a...he wasn't sure what it was.

"I want to know that he's doing alright."

"I'm sure he's fine, Duo."

He supposed that answer, deliberately ambiguous as it was, was probably the safest one for right now.

Damn it, he didn't want safe. Safe was boring; safe was closing one's self off. He and Wufei got where they were today by taking risks when the situation called for it.

He wanted to take a risk. After all, he had hope, didn't he?

"Quatre," he said, clinging to that hope. "Does he know about our...partnership?"

The reply was immediate. "Yes. In fact," he added, suspecting this next part was important to Duo, "I didn't tell him. He figured it out on his own and mentioned it to me, the night before he left."

That meant that Heero knew that the two of them would be in contact with each other. That meant it was perfectly acceptable for Duo to ask Quatre the next question.

"How can I reach him?"

~~~~~

After their phone call was disconnected, Quatre folded his hands and rested his chin on his thumbs. He was still sitting there when Meiran poked her head in the door.

"Did I miss anything I need to know about?"

Quatre stood up. "No."

She nodded, content with the fact that he seemed much less tense than he had been before they'd called Duo. Sometimes she was tempted to smack sense into all of them, but the only way for any of them to come to terms with what ailed them was to face it when they were ready.

"Meiran," Quatre said, as the two of them left the room. "I'm curious about something."

"Hmm?"

"What was with the question about makeup earlier?"

~~~~~

Duo stared at the number he'd programmed into his cell phone. Eleven digits. Just eleven digits. And now with one touch of a button, his phone could dial all eleven digits and connect him.

His thumb rubbed the button, wanting to make the call, but knowing this was not the time nor the place. After all this time, he was not going to do something rash again. He'd left his meeting with Peacecraft back in California only to return to an empty hotel room. He'd barged in on Quatre Winner and his friend Trowa, and he was still too late.

This wasn't the same thing. Heero had given the number to Quatre as a means of contacting him. He would wait until that evening to use it. He was nervous enough as it was. Duo was not about to act like an obsessed teenager calling to ask for a first date.

He hesitated before shutting off the phone, afraid if he did so, the number wouldn't be there when he turned it back on. He told himself he was being ridiculous. Even if that did happen, he could ask Quatre for it again.

His stomach growled, reminding him he'd been unable to eat much that morning, worried as he was about the teleconference with Quatre. He'd go out to lunch. That meant that he'd have to leave the phone on. He slid it into his pocket.

After he'd reached his car, he rethought the wisdom of his decision. Duo decided that perhaps a good compromise would be going out to pick up a sandwich, then bringing it back. He'd have some time away from the office to clear his head, but not long enough that he'd start thinking too much.

It seemed he'd already started thinking too much, however, because as he paid for his sandwich at the quick mart known for its deli sandwiches, he saw no fewer than three different men who all bore a passing resemblance Heero in one way or another. One was grumbling about the weekend weather forecast as he paid for his newspaper, one was a panhandler leaning idly against a lamppost as Duo drove by, and one was using one of the gas pumps visible outside the deli mart.

He'd be glad when the day was over. He reached into his jacket pocket and touched the phone again.

~~~~~

Noin stretched out her legs the best she could in her economy class seat. She felt naked without her Glock. It had been different the last time she went to California. Then she'd gone for personal reasons. Of course seeing Zechs was never an easy thing. At least she had her cell phone. It was something that helped make her feel less cutoff from those around her. She felt bad for her partner, who was stuck going out without his weapon or his phone, even if he were far less social than she. He'd never been the most patient person, not that he couldn't be. He had the ability to demonstrate patience, but he despised waiting for results.

She supposed she might have been nicer and not teased him about his hair, but it served him right after the remark he'd made to her earlier. He bristled the most on the ride to the airport when she'd asked if he were wearing cosmetics. He'd practically growled at the suggestion, then muttered something about how he'd better get what he needed from the investigation within the next three days, as after that some of the temporary changes would need retouching lest they loose their appearance of authenticity. He was not thrilled with the extra work required to maintain as much of his normal appearance in the office as it was, and he'd scowled when she'd teasingly suggested a wig.

She'd know Yuy for more than a few years now, and she'd never worked with a more competent partner. He was sharp, granted, or he'd never have made it as a Special Agent. Damned good with computers, again no surprise there, coming from his previous assignment in the I.T. department. Calm in a crisis, and calm after a crisis. Two very different things.

There had been vague little hints, lately, though. Subtle, fleeting shifts of mood that she'd chalked up to his grieving over Kitty. Yet he'd verbally adopted her as his older sister without balking once. She knew that Kitty viewed Heero as her 'oniisan,' so she'd been surprised as hell to hear him call her 'neesan.' That was pretty much the extent of the Japanese she knew, other than some rather creative insults that Heero used under his breath at times when a witness or suspect was being particularly uncooperative.

Her knowledge of Italian made it fairly easy for her to follow a Spanish reasonably well, a second language that was invaluable when investigating drug trafficking coming from South America or Mexico. Heero was fluent in it, but she was better at following a conversation than speaking it herself.

It was one of the games they'd played with the agents in Buffalo, coming up with different scenarios for creative use of foreign languages in the most outrageous contexts, where Heero surprised everyone. He was damned good at it, and no one expected that from the agent who always looked so serious.

There was a lot of talent hidden beneath his often inscrutable expression. If she'd met Yuy at boot camp, rather than Zechs, she wondered if they'd ever have forged a romantic relationship, given enough time. Heero was loyal, intelligent, compassionate, and exceedingly easy on the eyes.

In all the time she'd known him, Noin didn't think Yuy had ever been in a romantic relationship. He didn't trust many people to get that close to him. He'd not ever shown signs that he...

Oh, Yuy, you sly dog, you.

Her partner was very good at keeping things under wraps, if one didn't know him. She knew Heero Yuy quite well. It had taken her a while, but now those little things came together with an almost audible click.

Her partner was in love.

Just knowing that made her feel better about her own upcoming meeting with the man who'd captured her heart long ago.

An imperfect love, eh, Yuy? She laughed softly as the plane taxied down the runway and lifted off.

~~~~~

Wufei called Meiran after lunch to let her know that they'd received a few bids for the pharmaceutical division. She turned on the speakerphone and Quatre downloaded the information being sent from California.

"What do you think, Quatre?" Meiran asked.

"Honestly," he said, glancing over the names, "we'd benefit the most from accepting the offer from Romefeller."

"They're not offering the most money," Wufei pointed out.

"I understand that," Quatre said. "However, I think that there's more than a financial benefit to consider."

Milliardo's voice was clipped as he bluntly stated, "I refuse to have any dealings with that corporation."

"I'm sorry to point this out, Milliardo," Quatre replied gently. "But when we entered into the agreement, that division became a jointly owned possession, and your personal preferences can be overruled if the majority votes otherwise."

"I'd like to hear both sides," Meiran interjected. "I don't have a ruling vote one way or another, but you might as well present your arguments now. It will give you time to sort out your thoughts and debate the pros and cons." She glanced at the clock. "And Duo should still be in the office. Please hold, gentlemen, while I connect him."

And so the rest of Duo's day was spent participating in a debate regarding ethics, financial rewards, and any potential backlash from allowing or refusing Duke Dermail possession of the pharmaceutical division.

Until Wufei suggested offering it to Treize Khushrenada.

tbc

~~~~~

Chapter title is an excerpt from the poem "Ode to a Dead Pigeon" by Jack Micheline: "I bend down on my knees in the sunlit morning and kiss your wing, grey and white, gleaming in the sun."

Colt 45 - malt liquor hawked by Billy Dee Williams once upon a time - "smoooooth." Colt does make a .45 pistol, the M1911/M1911A, which has a seven round capacity with one in the chamber. I've found some references that indicate its been the preferred sidearm for US soldiers for some time, but most information I've found on US military firearms (without leaving my house) has been for rifles - so don't quote me!

The Peacemaker - Colt's Single Action Army (SAA) revolver - made its debut in 1873 and still has six rounds. http://www.colt.com/cmci/SAArmy.asp

MP - Military Police

The Insight is Honda's hybrid electric/gasoline powered vehicle - and as they say, "no, you don't need to plug it in."

For those unfamiliar with the US television show "Get Smart," Don Adams played the rather inept Maxwell Smart (Agent 86) and Barbara Feldon was the more levelheaded Agent 99. The two were CONTROL agents fighting the evil KAOS. Not sure about those of you watched (or watch) the show - but the shoe phone will always be the first image to come to mind when I hear any reference to Maxwell Smart...and no, I don't picture Cro-Magnon Duo insisting on his intelligence with those two words.