Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Gift of Cursed Blood ❯ The Guilt ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Gift of Cursed Blood

Chapter 3: The Guilt

Duo didn't leave that morning. He stayed until Hilde got up. He needed to talk to her still. He needed to try at least one more time. He heard Hilde come out of the room and he stood up from the chair he'd been sitting in.

Hilde took one look at him, sighed and rolled her eyes. "What are you still doing here, Lord Maxwell? I thought I made it clear that you were to leave before we got up?"

Duo walked over to her. "I can't leave without asking you again, will you help me? I can't do this alone, Hilde. Please help us! I swear it will be different this time," he pleaded. He tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear. He cupped her cheek with the same hand.

"It won't be. Not this time, not next, not ever. My family has had to live with this gift for centuries with this gift. The gift of cursed blood." Hilde sighed and looked up at him. "I'll help you…"

Duo's spirits lifted dramatically. He was about to hug Hilde when she held up her hand. "But I warn you, I have my children to think about and I will not hesitate to… well you know what I mean. If someone so much as looks at one of my children the wrong way you know what will happen. And believe me, they're quite capable of taking care of themselves," she warned.

"Thank you Hilde. You don't know what this means to me!" Duo moved to hug her again but she again warded him off. There was an awkward pause then he said, "I'll send a carriage for the three of you later today."

Hilde shook her head. "Don't bother. We have horses."

He took another deep breath and took her hand in his. "I-- thank you, Hilde."

"I'm only doing this so you can see that I'm not like you people. I am nothing like you," she said and turned away to wake up the children. "Go get your own horse ready, Duo. I'll be out soon to ready ours."

He nodded dumbly and walked out of the cabin. He was elated. I didn't think she'd help me. But I'm damn glad I stayed till this morning. He grabbed the saddle from where he'd put it last night and began the process of saddling the horse. He looked around at the other three horses and whistled. Hilde has some pretty good looking horses. I wonder where she got them from?

He frowned as he heard Hilde's name being called outside.

"Hilde! Hilde are you home?"

Hilde heard the voice and ran outside. "Blake!" she shouted and ran to greet him as he got off his horse. "Blake, what are you doing here?" she asked and hugged him.

When Claire and Lucas walked outside ready to leave they saw the man and ran towards him. "Blake!" they shouted.

As Duo exited the stables he saw the children and Hilde hug a tall, muscular man with blonde hair. He frowned.

Blake laughed and ruffled the children's hair. He picked Claire up and gave her a kiss on her chubby cheek. "I thought I'd come visit before I left for King Quatre's castle. Are you going somewhere, perhaps I can take you where you're going before I leave," he said smiling at the three.

A pang of hurt, anger and guilt washed over Duo. That could have been me…He shook his head trying to shake the feelings. This was not the time to think of this. He had chosen to remain a king and now he had to live with his choice. As much as it hurt him to admit it, he had to live with the fact that Hilde may have found someone else or that she eventually would. This isn't your family anymore, Duo. Another man will eventually fill the place that should have been mine.

Hilde laughed at something the blonde man said. "No, Blake. It's not necessary. We are traveling with King Maxwell. He's enlisted our help," she said. She looked up at Blake. She didn't like the play of emotions radiating from him. Over the years she had almost mastered the separation of her emotions and her power. She had spent a large part of her pregnancy just concentrating and meditating. Once the children were born it became difficult to find time for herself, but she had managed to almost master it. A bit more training and she'd be able to fully control herself when she was angry, happy or sad. It was too hard sometimes. She would feel sad and her powers would go hay-wire and she could swear she could bring the heavens down.

"It's not like that," she told him as if he'd asked the question. She'd also learned how to read others' emotions. It was almost mind-reading but not quite. It was more about body language and the kind of energy radiating from the person than about hearing his or her thoughts. It was easy really.

"I didn't say anything," he said and smiled. He'd made it no secret that he was interested in her. He wanted to be the man by her side and a real father to her children but she'd been turning him down for the past four years. He'd met Hilde when the twins were almost a year old and he'd offered to help her with anything she needed. She saw right through that act but didn't deny him her friendship. He shot a look towards Duo knowing full well he was still Hilde's husband and the true father of her children. He still didn't know why she lived here while he lived the easy life back at his castle. If that were him, he would put his family first. "Just be careful. You know how to reach me," he said to her and added a kiss on her soft cheek. She kissed him back and said goodbye.

"But mom! I want to show Blake what you taught me!" protested Lucas crossing his arms across his chest.

Claire glanced at her brother and mimicked the pose. "Yeah! We want to show him!"

Hilde merely laughed. "You may show Blake some other time. Right Blake?"

Blake nodded and kneeled in front of the children. "You two behave for your mother, you hear?" he said and ruffled their hair. "I'll be back once I've had word that you guys have come back."

Hilde started to walk to the stables when she noticed Duo standing there. He didn't look very happy. She mentally shrugged her shoulders and walked past him without saying a word. Lucas and Claire followed after her silently. Lucas shot Duo a dirty look before walking past him.

He felt his heat lurch. They don't owe me any explanations but I would sure as hell like some. He sighed and followed them. This was going to be a long ride home. He wonder how fast the children could ride without needing to stop and sleep.

"Hilde--" he started but she interrupted him.

"We'll be at the castle before the sun sets. We'll only stop twice on the way."

"Are you a mind reader now?" he wondered aloud.

Hilde scoffed and said, "Hardly. I've prepared some food for the trip. It's not much but it should serve as breakfast. Well stop at midday for some lunch and then later for a rest."

"Looks like you have this trip all planned out," he said dryly, not liking how she was taking control of the situation. He was the man after all.

"Listen, Duo, do you want my help or not?" she snapped. "Lucas, Claire and I have no business going to your country and making it all better for you! I'm doing you a favor because you were my husband and you're the father of my children. I could just as well unsaddle this horse and go back in my house and teach my children how to make the rain pour out of the sky without lifting a finger!" she cried angrily.

Duo was about to reply with an equal amount of anger and some very colorful words when he remembered the children. he opened his mouth and just as quickly closed it. He took a few deep breaths and apologized.

"Mama, why can't we stay with Zorra? I don't want to go to stinky, old Maxwell Castle!" cried Claire. She hadn't said much since Duo arrived but she was just as talkative as her brother and mother. And her father if you consider it but she couldn't make that comparison since this was the first time she had ever seen the man she knew to be her father.

"Claire," said Hilde warningly as she helped Lucas onto his horse and handed him the reins.

Claire pouted and moved towards her horse just as her mother came up behind her to help her on. "I just don't want to go, Mama," she confessed as Hilde handed her the reins. "We'll only be there for a little while, sweetheart, and besides it'll be good for your training."

Duo watched Hilde with the children. They seemed so grownup to him. They didn't act like five year olds should. Not that he'd know since he'd never had any contact with children of any age.

A realistic, yet painful image flashed in his mind. It was of him teaching a five-year-old Lucas how to shoot a bow. Yes, this was going to be a long ride. He mounted his horse and called out to Hilde, "Are you ready?"

She sung up onto her own horse and followed him out. She let him lead the way since he'd gotten angry at her for taking control. You'll never change, will you Duo? He didn't understand that she wasn't the same as before. She'd changed and she hoped that it was for the better.

I'm not the same, Duo. I won't bend to your will as I did before.