Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ ZER0 ❯ Humility ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Title: ZER0 - Part 8 - Humility
Author: Vinyl Koneko (Emily), roguegirl@att.net
Rating: R
Warnings: language, angst, death, blood, gruesome stuff, yaoi
Archive: Want it? Take it. Just give me credit, please.
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. I just like to play with them and make them play with each other.
Comments: *Emphasis*, 'thought', [flashback]. Humility is the First Heavenly Virtue and is defined as the quality or state of being humble. Some minor religious babble in this part. Don't mind it, especially if I'm wrong...I don't go to church or anything. Sorry the part is so short, but it needed to be.

*~**~*

/That was the last kill. A week after Valentine's Day, none of us got any rest, anticipating what could be next, but nothing came. We thought maybe the killer was dead, but we kept receiving little messages. Another week would pass, another kill would be anticipated, and then again, nothing, but we still had to find him, and it was starting to look like he wasn't going to help us much.

This cat-and-mouse went on since February 15th and today, the 7th of April, we're locked in a sort of showdown with the killer. I mentioned this earlier, remember? Yeah, so two months with no kills, we were all getting a bit nervous. And then things started to happen. Nothing big because no one died, but the killer soon came to realize that we had no clue who he was and started to get a little cocky. We'd get messages handwritten and delivered to our respective homes, and since his handwriting wasn't recorded, there was no way it could help us at all. It was humiliating, to say the least. Une sees us as her best operatives; we stopped one war and a major uprising, but we couldn't snatch a seriel killer.

I figure there's a reason for that. With OZ or the Bartons, it was pretty simple. They waved their banners around and *told* us who they were and where they were, but this killer, he doesn't want us to know. At least not yet. But for some reason Une thinks smaller-scale means simpler means easier. I don't get it. The only reason we were assigned to this damn case was because of our pictures in Evan Gail's closet with a taunt spray-painted out them. There are professional detectives that handle these things, but it came to us.

And now we're being humiliated. I hate it. And it's getting way to personal for my tastes. I mean, sure, I don't know if Heero and I would be together right now if it wasn't for the fact that I was taking this more personally than anybody else (no one else got letters from the killer...that was all me). That doesn't make me grateful to our little psycho, though. Heero still thinks there's some other reason that I was contacted and no one else. You know, like the killer wants to get caught and thinks I'll be able to figure everything out better than everyone else. In all honestly, I'm not the brains of the group, so I don't know how I would have better odds than everyone else, but it's nice to know that the neighborhood nutbags have a little faith in me.

I don't know what I have faith in anymore. My friends, sure, but definitely not God. If man was created in His image, is He really a seriel killer? Or an OZ official? Or a man that rapes and molests little kids to get off? Father Maxwell would have said that God just made man and man made seriel killers and OZ and pedophilia, but sometimes, I'm just not sure.

Oh well. Everyone should have something to believe in.

I'm going back over what I just wrote down, trying to piece together clues that I might have missed and certain words that might relate to something else mentally. You know the game...word association, or something like that. I say one word, you say the first thing that pops into your head.

Heero and Quatre have been gone for about an hour and a half, now. I hope they're all right. Haven't heard anything and there's nothing suspicious on the security monitors, but it's been strangely quiet for a long time, now. I think Wufei fell asleep, and the steady toss-bounce-drop-toss-thud-stick-drop of Trowa throwing pencils at the ceiling has stopped well over an hour ago. Sheesh, it couldn't have been Trowa and Quatre that went out on the mini-recon. Then at least Heero and I could find something to do to pass the time...just kick Wufei out or be really quiet or something.

I'm looking at the little notes we've gotten since two days after the last kill, now, and sadly, they aren't helping. Most sound lyrical, while the other two are just taunting.

hOW dOES it fEEl?
hOW ShOUld i fEEl?
tEll ME, hOW dOES it fEEl,
tO tREAt ME likE YOU dO?

YOU ARE At MY MERCY ANd MY COMMANd. i CAN MAkE YOU dO WhAtEVER i WANt. i SAY JUMP ANd YOU ASk "hOW hiGh?" SUCh GOOd ANd ObEdiENt littlE PUPPEts. it'S tOO bAd YOU'RE SO bliNd OR YOU'd hAVE ME bY NOW.

hOPE YOU'RE ENJOYiNG EACh OthER'S COMPANY. it WON't lASt VERY lONG bECAUSE NOthiNG lAStS fOREVER. EVERYthiNG lEAVES. EVERYthiNG diES. EVERYthiNG MOVES ON AftER. it'S EASiER tO fORGEt thAN it iS tO REMEMbER. WhAt dO YOU REMEMbER? i PRObAblY REMEMbER MORE AbOUt YOU thAN YOU REMEMbER AbOUt YOURSElVES.

EVERYONE i kNOW
GOES AWAY, iN thE ENd.
YOU COUld hAVE it All,
MY EMPiRE Of diRt.
i Will lEt YOU dOWN.
i Will MAkE YOU hURt.

tiME hEAls
tiME CONGEAlS
AROUND US
ENdlESS hOURS Of
WAStEd MOMENts.

'ROUNd ANd 'ROUNd thE MUlbERRY bUSh,
thE MONkEY ChASEd thE WEASEl.

And then the other three weekly messages we got in that time period were pictures. Well, photographs, really. The first was a collage of numbers, which we soon realized were the numbers of our apartments/houses/what-have-you. Photographs from our actual doors or mailboxes, at that. It's nice to know I'll never be safe. The second photograph was of Preventers Headquarters, towering overhead as if you're standing right in front of it looking up, and then the third is the flag of the Sanc Kingdom.

Maybe I should admit that I have no idea what is going on anymore. We have no leads to go off of, and the weekly mockeries are not helping much. I mentioned at the beginning that pride was our problem, and it still is. We can't comprehend how degrading this is. We're supposed to be the best, and we're failing. Failing hard, but at the moment, nobody is dying. Well, our egoes, but that's only collateral at this point.

Somebody's coming, now, and based on the sound of the footsteps it's Heero and Quatre. They probably have news, whether it's good or bad. I hope it's bad. I can deal with bad right now. If the building's set to explode, I can deal with that. I've faced death before. I've deactivated bombs before. Good news...I don't know what could be considered good news right now. If the killer turned himself in, I don't know how I'd react. That'd be a pretty unclimatic ending. No big showdown, just hands-in-the-air and, "All right, I give up, you win."

When we catch this bastard, I want to be able to laugh in his face./

*~**~*

End Part 8