Hana Kimi Fan Fiction ❯ Years Away From What I Need ❯ Meet The Sanos ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

YEARS AWAY FROM WHAT I NEED
DISC: I don't own Hana Kimi or the characters. They belong to Hisaya Nakajo-sama and are licensed through Viz Media here in the U.S. Please don't sue. I'm not profiting from this story, other than the benefit of the joy of writing it.
 
Chapter 18 - Meet The Sanos
 
“Stop pacing!”
 
Sakura had not even lifted her head from her book at her desk as she barked out the command over her shoulder. She'd stopped grumbling about the difficulty of having to read an English novel and write a book report on it - IN ENGLISH! - and been trying to focus on the book in front of her instead. Reading a whole novel in a foreign language… well, if she got a good grade on this assignment, then she could rest assured that college wouldn't completely kick her ass.
 
They'd been given a choice of three books from which to read and write their reports. One the teacher had classified as easy to read but still rich with symbolism, one that was moderate reading, and one that was difficult. If you chose the easy book, The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, you were required to write a more in-depth report. If you chose the hard book, Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, your report could be more basic. And the moderate book, Peter Pan and Wendy by James Barrie? Well, with that, you could run a middle of the road report.
 
Sakura hated writing. So she chose Carroll. And it wasn't that the story wasn't interesting. It was. Weird, but interesting - almost like reading someone's dream. So writing the report would be fairly easy - or as easy as writing ever was for her. All she had to do was finish the damn book. Which shouldn't be difficult. Except… What were all these words? They weren't in her dictionary at all! Brillig? Mimsy?
 
And in the background, her sweet roommate - who had chosen Barrie only because she'd already read translations of the other two and so it wouldn't be fair, and who had written an in-depth analysis not only of the storyline, but the symbology used - kept pacing the damn room and distracting her. It wasn't fair.
 
“Kyoumi! Stop with the pacing already!” This time, she turned to her. “I know you're nervous, but some of us haven't even READ the damn book for this class, much less written the friggin' report.” Turning back to the book, she expounded on her frustration. “And how the hell I'm supposed to write a report on a book that uses words that aren't even in the dictionary, I just don't understand. What the hell is a momewrath?”
 
The question got through to the long-haired brunette finally and she stopped her incessant movement. “Momewrath? That's the Jabberwocky poem. The words seem like nonsense, but they're supposed to be like portmanteaus - the author took two words and kind of combined them, so that you get the meaning of both words combined, but so that the sound of the word speaks louder than the original word itself. Like Slithy. It's supposed to mean slimy and lithe - but when you say it out loud, it really gives you the feeling. You have to say it in English though.”
 
Sakura turned back to her with wide eyes. “But… how am I supposed to…”
 
Waving her hands consoling, she responded, “Don't worry so much about it. The poem is about a kid who goes out to slay a beast to prove his worth to his father. He succeeds. That's all you need to know. You don't even really need to talk about that in your report. It's not too important to the story - just there to help show the subliminal nature of everything going on. You can pretty much skip that whole part… Or mention a portmanteau or two that catch your fancy - that really sound like the meaning - and really wow the teacher.” She grinned conspiratorially.
 
With a contemplative look, the tennis player queried, “Are there any other sections in this book designed specifically to trip me up? Anything else I should know?”
 
Her curvaceous roommate squinted in thought. “Hm. No, I don't think so. But is you want another little insight into this story, there has been talk that Carroll-san was a partaker of recreational drugs - and those experiences greatly influenced this story. No one knows if it's true, but he DOES have people getting small after eating mushrooms…”
 
Laughing, Sakura replied, “Already figured that one out. Although it is nice to know I wasn't just imagining those references. Anyone who writes about a rabbit with a pocketwatch has got to be taking something!”
 
Kyoumi joined her in her laughter and Sakura thanked the gods that she had been blessed with not only a roommate, but a best friend. She was always there for her. And now, once again, the buxom girl had managed to turn her frustrations with this class into clarity with just a few sentences.
 
So now she could do nothing less than return the favor. “Well, I'm glad that my inexperience with English has at least stopped you from pacing.” She waited for a moment as the reason for Kyoumi's nervous behavior reasserted itself in her mind and the girl's face tightened again. “Even though I can see that it was only a momentary distraction.”
 
Kyomi looked up at her guiltily for just a second before continuing in her nervous ambling.
 
“Okay, I can see that you're not going to let this go. So listen and listen good so I can get back to this hellacious book.” She stood up to face her friend, grabbing her shoulders lightly, shaking the girl gently in emphasis with each point, her eyes driving the force home. “They. Are going. To love you. They are not going to care about your age difference.
 
“Because *you* make him *happy*.
 
“No. Screw that. You make him giddy like a friggin' schoolgirl.
 
“So, calm down.”
 
Even though she nodded in agreement, Sakura could see her best friend was still harboring some doubts. “Okay, fine then,” she muttered. Quickly, she spun and began rummaging in her desk, mumbling, “Dang it, I know they're in here somewhere… a-HA!”
 
One hand in a fist, she held it out toward Kyoumi like she wanted to give her something. When the authoress held out her hand to receive whatever it was, a bunch of small hard objects were released into her palm.
 
“There you go. Throw some beans around and get rid of those bad spirits, okay? Because it must be oni that are making you stress out. Either that or insanity.”
 
Laughing, she admitted defeat. And then, she gave an embarrassed look while throwing the beans yelling, "Oni wa soto! Fuku wa uchi!" ("Out with the demons! In with good luck!")
 
Sakura smiled and shook her head before sitting down to do some more work on her book report as Kyoumi picked up 18 beans and ate them.
 
She knew it was ridiculous, but she did actually feel better after that. She picked up her notebook and put pen to paper on another story. All of a sudden, the idea for a story on how superstitions were more than just a reaction to the unknown had hit her and she had to get the thought out before it was lost.
 
**********
 
She had just finished capturing the point in her story that epitomized the heart of the matter when her cell phone began to ring.
 
“Moshi, moshi,” she said, carelessly into the phone, still writing the last few words of the sentence she'd previously started. As she heard the voice on the other end, she closed her notebook and put her pen away.
 
“Shuichi, calm down. You're talking too fast and I can't understand you.” She paused to let him repeat himself, thinking, `He's as nervous as I am. But why?'
 
“Okay, it's not a problem. I can come over right now and take over in the kitchen while you run to the train station.” His response made her smile and chuckle. “Yeah, right. I'll leave right now, so try to relax. I don't want you trying to get it all done and injuring yourself... Yeah, I love you, too. Be there soon.”
 
She clicked the phone shut.
 
“Train's arriving early. I gotta go,” she called to her roommate as she quickly grabbed her purse and checked her appearance in the mirror for the 100th time since she'd begun her earlier pacing.
 
Without looking up, her athletic roommate called, “You look great, have fun, stop worrying, and say a prayer for me, okay? Because I'm not getting up from this desk `til this damned report is done.”
 
“Don't forget to at least eat,” she called just before closing the door behind her.
 
**********
 
Before she even got her shoes off, he was in front of her mouth running 1,000 miles a minute.
 
“Thank god you're here! They just called from the train - they're only 10 minutes away from the station.” He began pulling her toward the kitchen and then pointing out everything he'd been working on. “The pastitsio's already in the oven and the flat bread is in the basket, ready to go. The spanikopita I took out just a bit ago - it's cooling off, but we can warm it in the microwave.”
 
He gestured to the food processor and the small dishes that surrounded it. “Here's all the ingredients for the hummus. Just puree it all together `til it's thoroughly mixed.” Then he pointed to a pile of vegetables on the other end of the counter. “That's for the Greek salad. The pickled beets and the olives are in the jars behind it. If you could mix it all together, there should be about an equal amount of everything.”
 
She nodded at him and smiled - this would be easy. He'd done all the hard work. “Go ahead and get to the train station and I'll finish up here.”
 
Taking a deep breath, he paused and smiled at her. “You look beautiful, as always,” he said softly before pulling her into a tight embrace. “I don't know what I'd do without you,” he whispered in her ear.
 
And then he let her go and ran toward the door to put on his shoes and jacket. “GAH! I'm just so EXCITED!” he yelled as he did a little jump and then ran out the door.
 
She stared as the door closed behind him. “Wow. Hurricane Shuichi has left the building,” she breathed. Clearing her head with a shake, she faced the tasks set before her, grabbed an apron and tied it on.
 
`He was so excited - he's so cute when he's like that.'
 
All ingredients were dumped unceremoniously into the food processor: strange peas that reminded her of natto for some reason although they looked and smelled nothing like it, oil, lemon juice, cloves of garlic, a dash of salt, and some weird white paste.
 
`It's to be expected, I guess. They're his closest friends - almost like family.'
 
Lid firmly secured, she set it to puree and turned to the vegetables.
 
`And the woman he's been in love with for 14 years.'
 
She pulled a salad bowl out of the cupboard into which the ingredients could be placed.
 
`He loved her for 14 years. Just like I loved him for 14 years.'
 
She began chopping, tomatoes first.
 
`Just like that. Knowing that she loved someone else.'
 
CHOP. CHOP. CHOP.
 
`But he loves me now. Right?'
 
Then, cucumbers.
 
`It's not just that she's unavailable.'
 
CHOP. CHOP. CHOP.
 
`I know because he told me. And that's why we're all having dinner together tonight. So I can see that for myself.'
 
On to bell peppers.
 
`So I have nothing to worry about.'
 
CHOP. CHOP. CHOP.
 
`What if they don't like me? I mean, first off, there's the age difference. What if they think I'm some kind of dumb slut?'
 
Then onions.
 
`Or worse, someone out for his money. He bought this house without even a loan - so they could think I'm after that.'
 
CHOP. CHOP. CHOP.
 
`What will I even talk about with them? I… I'm not very good at conversation.'
 
Finally, the feta cheese.
 
`God, I wish Sakura and Masa were joining us tonight. I know they'd help distract me before I start hyperventilating.'
 
Opening the jars of pickled beets and olives, she drained them and added them into the mix and tossed it all in the bowl, adding the Greek dressing that Shuichi had prepared and left in the fridge. He'd forgotten to mention it, but when she saw it in there, she figured it out.
 
`If only I had thought of inviting them to join us.'
 
She turned off the food processor and scraped all the hummus out into a nice bowl.
 
`I wonder what she looks like after all these years.'
 
She piled all the dishes from the prep work in the sink and began washing them.
 
`I don't really remember her clearly anymore - all those years of envy and being mad at her kind of screwed up my memory. I don't remember what Sano looked like either. I know he was tall… but that's about it.
 
`And they're bringing their kids. Gosh. Three of them.'
 
Putting the clean dishes away, she began to set the dining room table.
 
`I hope they get here soon or I'm going to drive myself crazy in anticipation.'
 
Dishes in place, she walked back into the kitchen to sneak a peek into the oven to see how the pastitsio was doing. She'd just turned the light on in the oven when she heard the front door open and the voices of several people.
 
Walking back into the main room, she pulled the apron off, holding it in one hand as she witnessed for the first time in 14 years the best friends of the one man she'd ever loved.
 
“Wow, Uncle Shuichi, your house is so big and pretty!” Takara called as she quickly kicked off her shoes and ran into the main sitting room. Wearing a soccer jersey and a pair of jeans, the 10 year old girl was a cute little tomboy - totally filled with spunk as she investigated everything in the room.
 
“Well, I'm glad you like it,” he grinned as he held the door for the rest of the Sano family to enter.
 
Seiko finished removing his shoes quickly and then carried several of the bags into where Takara was flitting about. “Uncle Nakatsu? Where should I put our bags?” Kyoumi was struck by the appearance of the young man who entered after his sister. He looked just like the Mizuki from her memory. Okay, maybe he was a little younger and his hair was darker, but other than that, he could be an exact duplicate of him - uh, her - except that he seemed a lot more… together and serious.
 
“Set them down anywhere!” he called, “I'll set you up in your rooms in a minute.”
 
Another familiar face walked into the main room, carrying the rest of the baggage. Tall and dark, but smiling way more than she remembered, was Sano Izumi. As he glanced around, she noticed him nodding - as if he was very proud of how well his friend had done for himself.
 
Kyoumi smiled softly as she saw it. All those years, she'd allowed herself thoughts of him as a betrayer, but deep down, she always knew it wasn't that simple. And whenever Shuichi talked about Sano, she could see how much his friend meant to him. It made her happy to know that the feeling was mutual between them. Best friends. Nakatsu meant as much to Sano as Sakura did to her.
 
And how hard it must have been on them both. For example, what would have happened if she had fallen for Masa? How would the two girls have handled it? That was something to think about. Perhaps it would even become a story once she'd ruminated on it for a while.
 
But that would have to wait. Because just then the woman of whom she'd been envious for so long stepped into the room, holding the hand of her youngest child. The years had not changed her much. Okay, now she had long hair, although it was pinned up in a cute knot. And she was wearing a cute little tweed, flared skirt with a turtleneck sweater. And, of course, her breasts were no longer hidden - although they weren't nearly as large and full as her own, not even after three kids.
 
She blushed in embarrassment at her own thought. This was so unlike her. She'd always hated them before. Why on earth would she be proud of them now? She really needed to get over this. The woman had chosen someone other than her Shuichi and everyone besides her had moved on. It was obvious that she was extremely happy with her life from the way she was smiling at her children. It wasn't like she was going to change her mind. She really and truly needed to relax.
 
The children really were as adorable as Shuichi had said. The youngest saw her looking at him and smiled. His expression was so sweet, all thoughts of envy fled her mind and she smiled back.
 
Tugging on Mizuki's skirt, he said, “Mommy, who's the pretty lady?”
 
At that moment, Nakatsu Shuichi stepped in view and said, “Everyone, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Kagurazaka Kyoumi.”
 
Silence fell over the room as everyone turned to look at her. And then Takara stomped over to her and scowled at her. She scrutinized her thoroughly and said, “Do you think just because you're gorgeous that makes you good enough for my Uncle?”
 
Sano and Mizuki called out, “Takara!”
 
Mizuki continued, “You apologize right now, young lady,” as Seiko called, “Don't be rude!”
 
Nakatsu just gaped.
 
But Kyoumi blinked at the girl and then stated very matter-of-factly, “Honestly, I don't think I'm even near good enough for him. But I do love him very much.”
 
The little girl nodded at her seriously and then smiled. “Okay then. Nice to meetcha! I'm Sano Takara! Take care of my uncle and I won't have to kick your ass!”
 
Nakatsu burst out laughing, Mizuki put one hand over her mouth to keep herself from joining in and both Sano and Seiko rolled their eyes.
 
Kyoumi bowed to the girl and said, “It's very nice to meet you, too, Takara-san.” Then she stood and said, “Sano Izumi-san, Sano Mizuki-san, I'm happy to meet you again. And this must be Seiko-san and Atae-san,” she continued, bowing to each of them in turn.
 
“If you'd care to follow me, I'll show you to your rooms and the bathrooms so that you can get freshened up from your trip,” she continued. They all smiled and nodded. Seiko and Sano grabbed the bags and she led them upstairs to the guest rooms that Shuichi had fully furnished and decorated in January, after he knew the Sanos would be coming for a visit.
 
With her back to them all, she frowned at herself. It wasn't really her place to act as the lady of the house - she probably should have let Shuichi lead. But he bought this house with her, right? And she'd been envious of Mizuki for way too long. He'd forgive her for overstepping her bounds. That is, if he even realized she had. Smiling, she realized he probably wouldn't have noticed or cared. This was Shuichi after all - the man who bought all his bedroom furniture based on what he thought she'd look good at.
 
Nakatsu smiled and followed, narrating and giving a tour of the house, pointing out the library and the furo on the way to the bedrooms.
 
******
 
Bags dropped off in the spare rooms, the host and hostess left their guests to freshen up.
 
“You might want to check on the salad and hummus,” Kyoumi stated as they walked down to the kitchen. “I've never made either before, so I'm not sure I did it right.”
 
He glanced quickly at the salad and stuck a finger in the hummus, then popped it into his mouth to taste it. “It's perfect!” he smiled at her. “Let's just hope I did as good with the spinach pie and pastitsio.”
 
Shaking her head she declared, “Like anything you ever cook is bad? If you ever give up on coaching, you could be a chef, my love.”
 
“Feh,” he blushed. “Oh! I almost forgot!” He reached into the wine cabinet and pulled out a bottle of white wine. “I got us some retsina to drink tonight!” He smiled as he pulled it out. “It's not a real Greek meal without a bottle of retsina!”
 
Blushing, Kyoumi said, “I should probably pass, you know.”
 
“Why?” he asked, puzzled.
 
“I *am* only 18, so…”
 
“But you usually drink wine with me at meals.”
 
“But the kids… I wouldn't want to set a bad example.”
 
At that moment, Sano walked into the room quietly and said, “I appreciate the thought, Kyoumi, but when they get to an age where they're considering drinking, I'd rather have them see alcohol as something to enhance a meal than something someone does to get drunk. It will be okay.”
 
She smiled at him and bowed.
 
“Just so long as no one gets drunk,” he stated seriously and then smirked to let her know he was joking when her eyes got wide and she looked like she was about to profess how she'd never!
 
“Well, either way, it's okay. I got some HbH, too! It's an orange soda from Greece. I used to drink that before the game, retsina with the meal, and ouzo after the game.” He paused and added, “I got some of that, too. For later, though.”
 
Sano and Kyoumi both shook their heads in response as Nakatsu finished opening the wine and then turned to check on the dinner.
 
Kyoumi once again went into hostess mode and began setting the hummus and flat bread out for everyone to snack on.
 
“So, I don't get it,” Sano said softly, “Why the Greek theme for tonight's dinner?”
 
Calling from the kitchen, Nakatsu called, “Well, I always loved the food there when the team was laid over in Greece. And I'd never tried to make Greek food before, so I thought it was about time to give it a try.” He walked in carrying a tray and the smell of spinach and onions wafted through the room. “I hope I did it justice - it'd be a shame if the first Greek food the rugrats try isn't as delicious as it should be.”
 
“I'm sure it will be fine,” Sano said kindly, and before anyone else could respond, the rest of the clan began to make their way into the room.
 
First came Seiko, who bowed to Kyoumi asking, “Is there anything I can do to help?”
 
“Oh, don't be such a suck-up, Seiko,” Takara stuck her tongue out at him.
 
“Takara, don't be rude to your brother,” Mizuki admonished before breathing in and then sighing, “Oh, my God! What smells so delicious?”
 
“The first course!” Nakatsu exclaimed happily. “So everyone make yourselves comfortable,” he gestured to the dining table, “and settle in for our Greek extravaganza.”
 
Smiling, Kyoumi commented, “Settle in is right. He made enough food to feed a small army.”
 
Everyone made their way to the table with only a brief disagreement between Atae and Takara about who got to sit next to Uncle Shuichi, which was resolved when Kyoumi asked the youngest if he'd like to sit next to her. The final seating arrangement ended up with Nakatsu and Kyoumi on opposite ends, with Sano, Mizuki, and Atae on one side and Seiko and Takara on the other.
 
Nakatsu dished out the salad and spinach pie to everyone, pouring wine for the three grown ups and Kyoumi and HbH for the three kids.
 
“Uh… Uncle Nakatsu? What is this that we're eating?” Seiko asked politely before anyone could take a bite.
 
“Greek salad and spanikopita.”
 
“You can't even tell that it's salad?” Takara taunted, just to irritate her brother.
 
“Of course I could tell it's salad - but it's different than most salads.”
 
“Yep,” Nakatsu responded. “The feta cheese gives it something special that you don't find in most salads. There's some feta mixed in with the other cheeses in the spanikopita, too.”
 
“Sp- spah-nee…” Atae tried.
 
Mizuki swallowed the forkful she'd tried as soon as everyone started talking and jumped in to the conversation, “Spanikopita. It's spinach pie and it's delicious!”
 
“Spinach?” Atae asked, his tone clearly showing his distaste.
 
Seiko took a bite and then his eyes got wide. “Atae, just try it. It's really really good.” He smiled at his uncle who just grinned happily.
 
The little boy grimaced, but took a bite. Then he smiled and said, “YUMMY!” before digging in to eat some more.
 
Mizuki laughed and tousled his hair. Then she spied something on the table and her eyes lit up. “Nakatsu… is that,” her voice turned hopeful as she continued, “…hummus?”
 
He nodded and she quickly grabbed for the bowl, dishing up a huge spoonful onto her plate.
 
“I haven't had this since the last time I visited mom and dad. I used to love the hummus, sprout and cucumber sandwiches they sold at the bagel shop at the corner when I was growing up.” She scooped some up onto a piece of flat bread and took a bite. “Oh! So good!”
 
“Thank Kyoumi,” Nakatsu smiled. “She made it. That and the salad.”
 
“It's delicious!” Mizuki proclaimed before scooping some more into her mouth.
 
Embarrassed, Kyoumi said, “All I did was put the ingredients into the processor. Nakatsu did all the work.”
 
“Hey, don't eat it all, haha, I want to try some!” Takara called. (AN: haha = mom. Most authors use okaasan, but that's polite. I wanted something more informal.)
 
Sano smiled and said, “Yeah, save some for me, too. And by the way, this salad is wonderful.” He nodded at Kyoumi.
 
“I really didn't do much. I just cut up what Shuichi left out for me.”
 
“Either way,” Sano nodded, “It's wonderful. The olives give it quite a bite.”
 
“Well, I'm glad the first course is going okay. I'll be bringing out the main dish as soon as…” A buzzer in the kitchen interrupted Nakatsu's speech. “…Right now! Excuse me.” He pushed back from the table and quickly made his way into the kitchen to turn off the annoying sound.
 
Everyone ate in silence as Nakatsu went to bring the main dish.
 
“I'm glad everyone likes the appetizers,” he said as he reappeared with a large oblong pan. “Because I've never made pastitsio before. If it's not good, we can always just fill up on everything else and I'll make some rice - okay?” He set the pan down and rubbed the back of his neck with one hand, an apologetic look on his face.
 
Seiko quietly queried, “What's pastitsio, Uncle Shuichi?”
 
Cocking his head to the side, he scowled and then said, “I don't know if I can even describe it.”
 
“Well, the restaurant your grandparents used to take me to referred to it as Greek macaroni and cheese,” Mizuki said, “but that never seemed like an adequate description. American macaroni and cheese is nothing like pastitsio.”
 
“The recipe book said, `Layers of pasta & ground sirloin seasoned with cloves & nutmeg topped with béchamel sauce,' but I'm not sure what béchamel sauce is,” Kyoumi commented.
 
Sano's face tightened in disbelief. “Seriously? Cloves and nutmeg with pasta?”
 
Laughing, Nakatsu started cutting slices for everyone. “Give it a shot. If you don't like it, we can make something else.” He served the first piece to Kyoumi, then placed some on each of the kids' plates. Then Mizuki and Sano and finally, himself.
 
As he sat down to eat, Seiko commented, “It's good. Different. But good.” Everyone nodded in agreement as they ate.
 
Now that everyone's curiosity about the strange food was sated, and everyone had decided the food was delicious, the conversation waned a bit. The only sound was that of silverware on china.
 
(AN: A. Japanese people can and do eat with silverware. B. Mizuki grew up in America and her household was not exactly traditional Japanese, so again, silverware would not be outside the norm. C. They're eating Western food, they would eat it in a Western manner. I'm writing this because this is the kind of detail that can get people bent out of shape. Let it go.)
 
Suddenly, Sano put down his fork and turned toward the hostess. “So, Kyoumi, how's your brother been doing? I heard he got married.”
 
“What? Oh. Yeah. Five years now. Saki is wonderful. They're expecting their first child this April.”
 
“Really?” Mizuki asked. “So you're going to be an aunt!”
 
“How does he feel about you dating this lug?” Sano jerked his thumb toward Nakatsu.
 
Blushing, she said, “Actually, I haven't told him yet. Just Tamami and my mom. He and dad are a bit overprotective of me and he always hated how much I liked Shuichi.”
 
Mizuki nodded. “I can see that. He always used to give you such a hard time,” she said to Nakatsu. “Remember how he always used to call you names - like banana head?”
 
“All I remember is that he always tried to pick on you because you wouldn't let him say anything bad about Sano,” Shuichi replied.
 
Sano nodded, “He used to annoy you so bad. I swear, there were a couple of times where if we hadn't restrained you, you probably would have punched him in the face.”
 
Trying to look innocent, Mizuki denied it, “Oh, now that's just not true.” At the looks of disbelief, she gave in a bit, “Well, not after the first couple of times, anyway.”
 
Everyone started to laugh and Takara said, “Haha was going to hit a boy for making fun of dad?”
 
“Yep,” Nakatsu said proudly, “One that was about a foot and a half taller than her, too.”
 
Even Seiko looked a bit impressed at that.
 
“Remember that time when he flipped you over your shoulder and carried you to me?” Sano said quietly. “I was just about to sock him in the jaw when you wiggled off him. I couldn't punch him because I was too busy restraining you from doing it.”
 
“You guys! Seriously. He only annoyed me at first. But then I figured out that he was saying those mean things to get Izumi riled up enough to fight back - so that he'd get back to jumping. Really, I think he is a big softie. I wish we could have spent more time with him - I think we all would have become great friends.”
 
“Makoto only ever had nice things to say about you, too, Mizuki-san. Even after he found out you were a girl.”
 
Surprised, Mizuki turned to the younger girl. “What's with the -san? Just call me Mizuki.” Then she gave her famous grin that warms the hearts of all who meet her.
 
Smiling shyly, she responded, “Okay, Mizuki.”
 
“Mother, so Kyoumi-chan's brother went to school with you and father?” Seiko inquired softly, eyes sparkling with curiousity.
 
“Not to Ohsaka Gakuen,” Izumi answered. “He went to a rival school.”
 
“Remember?” Mizuki prompted, “He's the guy who your dad worked so hard to beat at the high jump.”
 
“That jerk?” Takara exclaimed, impertinently.
 
“Takara! Just because he was a rival does not mean he was a `jerk.'” Seiko scolded his sister. “You're being rude to Kagurazaka-san.”
 
Laughing, Kyoumi responded, “It's okay. He's been called worse by *my* sister, I think. Besides, I know what he's like when he's competing. `Jerk' is probably a nice term. - Oh, and you can call me Kyoumi, you know.”
 
Seiko blushed and stared intently at his food, simultaneously thrilled and scandalized at the familiarity.
 
“He won't,” Takara confided. “He won't even call Uncle Shuichi `Uncle Shuichi.'” Her brother glared at her.
 
“It's true,” Mizuki confided. “I have no idea how *I* ever raised such a respectful, obedient son-” And now, he was back to blushing.
 
“That was *my* influence, of course,” Sano interrupted quietly.
 
This set up a nice set of banter, in which all the Sanos and Nakatsu as well discussed the merits of who influenced who - while Atae just smiled as if this were typical conversation every time they had dinner together. And Kyoumi watched bemusedly and fell into her own thoughts.
 
`She's so nice. It's so… Of course he fell for her. Of course. She had to be so nice for him to fall. And Sano - his best friend. Of course. Yes. Look at the way they all get along. It really… It really is…'
 
Nakatsu was laughing so hard, grinning from ear to ear at his friends. She smiled at them all, wondering what part she could possibly play in this long-standing history.
 
A touch on her hands startled her from her thoughts and she turned toward the quiet young man sitting next to her. His eyes were honest and clear as he looked at her, but he spoke softly - as if he didn't want to interrupt the conversation that was continuing with the rest of the family. Either that, or he didn't want anyone else to hear.
 
“Uncle Nakatsu tells me you write.”
 
She softly responded, “Yes. Short stories,” realizing that he was trying to make this a private conversation.
 
“Do… do you ever let anyone read them?” He sat up quickly as if startled by what he'd just asked. “I'm not asking to read them. I was just wondering because… I wondered if I should… I draw. But I don't like to let people see it. Just Mom, Dad and Uncle Nakatsu. But Mom keeps telling me I shouldn't…”
 
“I don't let anyone read them. Only Shuichi,” she responded, smiling at him. “At first it was because I thought it would be stupid to let anyone read them - why would they care? And then… Well, for me, they're a bit personal. It'd be too… revealing.”
 
“Embarrassing. Like you're letting someone know too much about you, letting them inside your head,” Seiko responded, excitedly. “Yeah.” She nodded, her mouth in a thin, thoughtful line.
 
There was a short, comfortable pause. Then Seiko added, shyly, “Uncle Nakatsu said you might be willing to pose for me some time. But only if you want to!”
 
Blinking, she was uncertain how to respond.
 
“I'd… I'd let you look at some of my stuff first - so that you can see if you want to.”
 
“You… don't have to do that,” she replied. “I'd… be flattered to sit for you.”
 
“Really?! So cool! I haven't had much experience drawing people - Mom and Takara are too hyper to sit still long enough for me to get it right. So, I've really only drawn Dad and Atae - and just while they're sleeping. Oh, but don't tell them. They don't know.” He was speaking in an excited whisper. “And you're so beautiful that it'd be like catching a butterfly on paper if I get it right.”
 
All of a sudden, he realized what he'd just said and blushed a furious red, clasping his hands over his mouth. Kyoumi blushed in return at the compliment.
 
The sudden motion caught Nakatsu's eye and he gaped at seeing his quiet nephew in such a state. Sano followed his gaze and laughed at seeing his son in such a state. “Hey, hey, hey! What are you two talking about over there?” he asked. The attention keenly on the two at the end of the table, they both flushed a bit deeper as Kyoumi struggled to come up with a cover story.
 
“No flirting with your Aunt Kyoumi, Seiko!” Mizuki scolded, one eyebrow raised.
 
“I wasn't! We weren't-” Seiko sputtered. Kyoumi sat there, her mouth opening and closing, uncertain of what to say at all. Then, Seiko's eyes scrunched as he looked at his mother sassily. “I just told her that Uncle Nakatsu's taste has certainly improved since high school.”
 
“Ooh. Ouch!” Sano responded chuckling.
 
“So you *were* flirting,” Mizuki goaded until Seiko pouted, “No,” and stuck his tongue out at her.
 
And then they all burst out laughing. Atae just had the “You guys are so weird” look painted on his face as he continued to eat quietly. Kyoumi's eyes were wide as she took in the good-natured ribbing. It was just like being home. She smiled at that. Who would have thought it?
 
X
 
Dinner finished, baklava eaten, dishes stacked into the dishwasher and leftovers placed in the `fridge, Kyoumi had pulled Shuichi aside and let him know that she'd agreed to pose for Seiko and he smiled softly at her and helped distract everyone so that the boy wouldn't be further embarrassed. Dinner was embarrassing enough.
 
Herding the family into the living room, he coaxed Takara and Atae into taking over the Xbox 360 while Nakatsu, Sano and Mizuki sat on the sofa and talked about old times. Seiko and Kyoumi snuck out into the sun room.
 
“What do you want me to do?” Kyoumi asked.
 
Biting his lip, he said, “I don't know. I guess. Just pick a comfortable position and sit in it.”
 
“Okay.” She sat down somewhat stiffly, her back rigid, holding herself in a proper upright position.
 
He frowned. That wasn't going to work. “So how did you meet my Uncle?” he inquired as he pulled out his sketch pad and laid his pencils out in a nice row.
 
She sat up taller, even more tense from his question. Crap. That's not what he'd intended.
 
“We met for the first time when I was three years old. And again last fall.” Her words were clipped and precise, even though he could tell she was trying to be as friendly as she could manage. The subject itself was making her nervous apparently.
 
“Sorry. I'm not trying to pry,” he commented. “I was just curious about it.” He started roughing out an outline - hoping she'd relax as they chatted. Otherwise, he'd never be able to capture just how pretty she was, and that would be a shame. Even if she did relax, he had serious doubts of his ability to capture it.
 
“I'm sure you know that we're not really related to Uncle Nakatsu - he's just a really good friend of my parents. I do have two real uncles though - Dad's brother, Shin, and Mom's brother, Shizuki. But even though he's not really my uncle, somehow, he's always been my favorite uncle, you know.”
 
She smiled at him, and he noticed that she relaxed a bit as he talked. This was good. Maybe if he kept talking…
 
“We see Uncle Shin the most - because he lives in the same city that we do. We have him over for dinner about once a week, and when Mom and Dad had their monthly date night, they would always have him and Aunt Kanako come watch us if grandma and grandpa couldn't. But Uncle Shin always thought of us as kids - always treated us as kids.
 
“And yeah, I know we are. I'm not even a teenager yet. But, you know, Uncle Nakatsu just treated us like friends. Like Mom and Dad were friends and like we were friends.”
 
Kyoumi couldn't help but watch as his hands flew over the paper, the pencils making skritch-skritch noises as he drew.
 
“When he'd play with us, it always seemed like it was because *he* wanted to play - even when Takara had him play Pretty, Pretty Princess - not like he was humoring us. And when he laughs, it's always from his belly - always real.
 
“We always know when he's happy and when he's sad. It… makes you know that it's okay for you to feel sad sometimes, too.
 
“He once told me that people aren't meant to feel happy all the time. You have to be able to feel everything, so you can know what you're feeling when you're feeling it. Like, even if you really like pickled plums, you don't want to eat them all the time. If you did, you'd never know what pickled plums really tasted like anymore. And you'd probably get sick of `em, too. But if you have salmon and leeks and rice and green tea and all other sorts of flavors, then when you do have a pickled plum, it tastes really special.”
 
Her smile grew. That sounded like something he'd say.
 
“Uncle Nakatsu always would talk to us like that. Real talk. That's why he's so important to us.
 
“So… I know this isn't my place to say anything, but I hope you marry him.”
 
“What?!”
 
She blinked and started to move, but he waved frantically at her, “No! Please. I'm not done!” until she found the position she'd been in before and he nodded that she'd gotten it right.
 
“I… Why on earth would you…?” she asked, trying not to move.
 
He smiled kindly at her. “It's just I've never seen him so happy. Uncle never hid any of his feelings from us. But even when he was happy, it was more like he was happy on top of also being sad.
 
“Sometimes, when we'd all be sitting around, I'd see him look at Mom and Dad, and… well… it wasn't really a look of envy exactly - because you could tell he was really happy for them. He really is both Mom and Dad's best friend. But I always thought that… I don't know. It just seemed like he thought that there wasn't anyone out there to love him the way that Mom and Dad love each other. So, he'd take all the love he could get from them, and from us, because he thought that was all there was.”
 
Kyoumi's eyes got wide and he could tell that she was struggling not to move and not to cry.
 
“But when he came over for New Years this year, it wasn't like that anymore. So, that's why I think you should marry him. I know I don't really know you at all. And I'm just a kid. But you make him happy, and that's all that matters to me.”
 
The room was quiet except for the sounds of pencil on paper for a few minutes. And then, Kyoumi collapsed, burying her face in her hands and sobbing.
 
“Wh- what?” Seiko sputtered, dropping his pencil. “I'm sorry. I… I didn't…” He looked around frantically, his eyes wide in panic until he spotted his mother in the doorway. “Mom! I swear, I didn't do anything!”
 
Kyoumi looked up at his words and gasped, a look of horror on her face. “I know you didn't,” Mizuki said to her son. “I'm really sorry to interrupt, but Takara wanted to play you at least once before she went to bed.” She ruffled her son's hair and smiled widely at Kyoumi. “Seiko,why don't you go play a round and I'll talk to Kyoumi-san for a bit. Then you can come back and finish your picture, okay?”
 
He looked to Kyoumi to be sure she would be okay and she nodded absently, so he left the room, still looking back over his shoulder like he must have done something horribly wrong.
 
As soon as he was out of the room, Mizuki crossed over to her and said, “That's all that matters to me, too,” and drew the girl into her arms, hugging her tightly. After a second, Kyoumi gripped her back and to her own horror found her tears renewed, unable to stop herself from crying into the shoulder of her supposed rival. Mizuki patted her back and made soothing noises until the younger girl's shoulders stopped shaking.
 
Finally, the girl pulled back. Mizuki allowed her some room, but kept her hand on the girl's arm.
 
“I'm sorry,” she sniffled. “I was… I was just so nervous meeting you all. I guess I didn't really realize how stressed out I was. It's just… I really really love Shuichi so much. I was afraid you all might not like me. And if you didn't, I was afraid…”
 
She wiped under her eyes, but refused to look up at the woman until the sound of her chuckling drew forth her anger. `How dare this woman mock me,' she thought as her eyes quickly wrenched up from her lap. But the sight that greeted her cut her anger short very quickly.
 
Tears were streaming down Mizuki's face as she smiled. “I was worried, too, you know,” she said. “I've been worried about him for twelve years. He's… my best friend. And I'm so - so VERY - glad that he's finally found someone who loves him the way I always… the way he deserves to be loved.”
 
And then the two girls hugged each other again, both crying. Until Mizuki pulled back and said, “You know, you really had nothing to worry about. Once Nakatsu makes up his mind, there's NOTHING that can talk him out of it. And he is in love with you.”
 
Smiling, Mizuki said, “I didn't really come in here because Takara wanted to play Seiko.” She waited until Kyoumi looked the question at her before she continued with her explanation, “I think Sano's joke about Seiko flirting with you at dinner had your boyfriend feeling just a TEEny bit jealous.”
 
Kyoumi looked amazed, and then they both burst out laughing.
 
X