Hana Kimi Fan Fiction ❯ Years Away From What I Need ❯ Meeting The Parents - Part I ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

YEARS AWAY FROM WHAT I NEED
 
DISC: I don't own Hana Kimi or the characters. They belong to Hisaya Nakajo-sama and are licensed through Viz Media here in the U.S. Please don't sue. I'm not profiting from this story, other than the benefit of the joy of writing it.
 
 
Chapter 19 - Meeting The Parents - Part I
 
 
 
He'd had a plan for this day. But he was discovering that his plans were often interrupted by friends and family.
 
Today was a national holiday. February 11th. Kenkoku Kinen No Hi, Founding of the Nation Day. No school today, so the two were just hanging out at the house. The *plan* had actually been to ask Kyoumi to go for a little trip with him by train. That shouldn't be hard to do. And then, while on the train, let her know that their destination was his parents' house. Deception wasn't really his forte, but knowing that she'd stress out about meeting them, he thought it would be easier on her.
 
But when he'd called his parents the day after the Sanos left, to make sure the plan was cool with them, his mother had shot him down. Hard.
 
“We have plans for that day. And you have apparently lost what little sense your father and I beat into your head as a child. Did you honestly believe I would agree to this? Tricking her into meeting us? Ridiculous. What on earth were you thinking? You'll scare her off permanently. No. The only thing to do is for us to come up there. She'll be on familiar territory and can leave and go to her dorm room if she decides we're too much to take. Instead, let's see... We'll be there the Sunday after Valentine's Day.”
 
Yep. That's what his mom had said. February 17th was the planned date. A mere 12 days after he'd called her. And, following his mom's advice, he had even told Kyoumi the very next day that his mom would be coming. But it was still almost a week off, so she hadn't started stressing out yet. Or, not much. She'd only made him tell her every story he could remember about his parents and what they were like - what flowers his mom liked, how his mom and dad had met, how they had reacted when Nakatsu moved to Osaka Gakuen, how they'd reacted when he'd told them he had a girlfriend, what had they said about the girls he'd dated while on the football team, how his mom cooked, what she'd make for him when he was sick, what his father had thought about having the most famous footballer for a son, what he'd said when Shuichi retired - just a few questions to help her prepare.
 
And speaking of preparing, she'd been planning to have Sakura help her pick out an outfit this Saturday night. A nice outfit that made her look pretty, but safe - in no way a money-grubber or a trollop. Someone who was trustworthy for taking care of someone's son, and who might someday help in the production of attractive grandkids.
 
Definitely not the slacker kid she appeared in tight fitting jeans and lace trimmed tank top.
 
This was what she was wearing today for this national holiday, for which they'd planned a sort of a double date with Sakura and Masa, mostly because Sakura and Masa claimed they deserved to be able to eat Nakatsu's cooking at least on special occasions. They hadn't shown up yet, though. They were off playing tennis, during which Sakura would kick Masa's ass quite soundly, everyone was cheerfully certain.
 
Because they'd made these plans, had intended to just hang out with their friends for the holiday, Kyoumi had not been surprised when a bell rang announcing someone at the door. And because Shiuchi's hands were covered in bread dough - he was at the mix/knead stage, potatoes were baking in the oven to become the base for some gnocchi, and he'd thought a nice Italian bread would balance the meal nicely - and sticky hands can't open a door, Kyoumi had called, “I'll get it,” and had run to greet their friends.
 
Surprisingly, she'd opened the door to see a lovely, well put together woman in a fur-lined coat and a sharp suit, and even though she was obviously middle-aged (somewhere between 45 and 55, Kyoumi guessed), she appeared energetic. A lovely streak of grey colored each temple, countering her black hair. Behind her stood a man similar in age, smiling happily, who was dressed in a simple flannel button-down shirt and jeans.
 
“Hello?” she started and then gasped at almost the same time that the woman started speaking.
 
“You must be Kyoumi-chan.” Her tone was brisk. And the instant she began speaking, the young author knew exactly who these people were. How could she not see it? The woman had her own Shuichi's eyes, and the man had his smile. But they weren't due for almost a week!
 
“Since it was a holiday, we decided there was no sense in waiting around to visit.” The woman brushed past her and entered the house, began taking off her shoes. Her husband shrugged apologetically and followed. “After all, I've been waiting 30 years for that son of mine to finally grow up enough to find someone to date. And now, he's not only dating, but he's bought a house.”
 
She laughed and turned around, grabbed Kyoumi by the hands, held them out to the side as she looked the girl up and down. Nodding, the woman who birthed Shuichi spun her, giving her the same once over from all angles. “Yes. I can see what he was talking about.” She turned to her husband and said, “My goodness. I know I told him I wanted attractive grandchildren, but this is going a bit overboard.”
 
Then she spun away from the stunned young woman, not before handing Kyoumi her coat, and began making her way into the house. “Shuichi!” she called, “Come greet your mother!”
 
Two seconds later, the former football star of Japan entered the room, hands still covered in bread dough.
 
“Mom?!?” he exclaimed. “What the heck are you doing here!”
 
She made a fuss over his hands and followed him into the kitchen, inquiring regarding what he would be making them for supper. Faintly they could hear her say, “What do you mean yoki? Do not be rude child, or I'll tan your bottom,” before the voices faded away. (AN: Yoki means “expectation, forecast, assume will happen”. He's said gnocchi - but she's unfamiliar with the term and thinks he's saying that her asking to be fed is expected behavior.)
 
Quietly, the father of the love of her life shut the door to the house, still smiling, and bowed to her, pulling his wife's coat out of her hands. “It is very nice to meet you, Kagurazaka Kyoumi. I'm Nakatsu Naoki. The lovely woman who has just entered the kitchen on my son's heels is Nakatsu Kanoko. Shuichi has told us much about you. Including how someday you're going to be a world-famous writer.”
 
Still a bit stunned, she nodded. The gentleman hung his wife's coat on the rack, then patted Kyoumi on the shoulder. “I know. I know. She's a bit of a force to be reckoned with, eh? Kind of like watching a thunderstorm. It's beautiful if you know it's not likely to strike you.” Then he laughed. “Isn't family fun?”
 
Eyes wide, she muttered, “I hope you can say that after you meet *my* family.”
 
While Kyoumi hadn't really meant that to be heard, Nakatsu-shi responded, smiling, “I can't wait. But now, we're missing the entertainment. I believe there's a mother-son comedy-hour taking place in the kitchen.” He winked and gestured for her to lead the way.
 
 
X
 
 
Shuichi was trying his best not to laugh. It wasn't smart to laugh in a situation like this. In any case, it wasn't smart to laugh at the woman you love - no matter what the situation. But she was so cute he could hardly stand it. The banter going over her head was turning her into a ripe tomato.
 
“Exactly my point, Nakatsu-sama!” Sakura replied grinning. “That's why, as her best friend, *I* should be allowed to read all her stories. Then, I can provide an unbiased opinion and help her decide which ones should be the first submission for publication.”
 
Waving one finger in the air, the ex-footballer's mother retorted, “Ah, but your opinion *would* be biased, as you *are* her best friend. No. She needs someone who can be completely honest with her. And as I have no relation to her at all, that job should instead fall to me.”
 
“But you're her future mother-in-law! Isn't there enough potential for strained relations at the fact that she's going to be taking your son away-”
 
“But Shuichi has been gone from me for so long, that really can't make a difference-”
 
“AND, she has the potential to give you grandchildren to fill the gap that appeared when he left!”
 
“Well, which is it, Sakura-chan? Am I going to be too strict as a Mother-in-law, or too forgiving as a grandmother? If it's both, I'd say that this strengthens my point that I'm the only one who can be perfectly unbiased.”
 
The sound of applause interrupted the debate, as well as some chuckles. “You know, you may be the first person I've ever seen get the better of Sakura in a debate,” Masa laughed.
 
“I, for one, am impressed at anyone who can give my wife a run for her money.” Nakatsu-shi replied smiling. “But, regardless, I think it's time to stop teasing poor Kyoumi-chan.” He turned to her and said, “My dear, don't fret. If anything, look at her eagerness to read your stories as proof that you've charmed the thunderstorm. Not everyone has that kind of power.” He winked at her and then laughed as his beloved wife actually blushed.
 
Kyoumi cleared her throat, “Um… The gnocchi was delicious, but I'm wondering what you've got planned for dessert.”
 
“Not so subtle with the topic change,” Sakura commented, giving a thumbs up. “But a good try.”
 
Laughing, his mother continued, “Yes, and let's honor the attempt. It *was* a delicious meal. So why is it that you never cook for me when you come home, young man?”
 
Rolling his eyes, he replied, “It's your kitchen, ma. I'm not gonna try to take over there.”
 
“Besides,” Kyoumi replied, “Doesn't everyone want to eat their mother's cooking when they go home?”
 
Shaking her head with a bemused grin, “You don't have to suck up, child, I already like you.”
 
Kyoumi sputtered, “I- I wasn't… I wouldn't…”
 
Everyone at the table burst out laughing again.
 
“Dear lord, you are just too easy to tease!” She looked at her son, “I hope you don't give her as much trouble as *I* do!”
 
Smiling with amusement, Nakatsu Shuichi simply shook his head in the negative.
 
“Good. Now. I think Kyoumi and I should go do some dishes together, while the rest of you relax. We'll bring out whatever my son has prepared for dessert when we come back.” With that, she stood and began gathering dishes to bring to the kitchen. Kyoumi followed suit, with the expression of a lamb about to be brought to the slaughter.
 
X
 
Not a word was said as they made their way into the kitchen. Kyoumi began storing the food to be eaten as leftovers. As she did that, Mama Nakatsu took rinsed each dish, placing it into the dishwasher.
 
After several minutes, when the dishes were almost done and all the food put away, the elder woman said in a casual tone, “Kyoumi-chan. You know, I love my son very much. I cannot begin to tell you how proud of him I've been - that he went off and followed his dream, made it a reality.” She continued to finish up with the dishwasher, placing the last dish and grabbing the bottle of dishwasher liquid out of the cabinet under the sink. “And now, he's a professor at a well-esteemed school, and dating a student from their sister-school. Someone 14 years younger than he is. Someone who has her whole life ahead of her.”
 
She closed the dishwasher with a bang, then turned the knob to start the appliance. With her back still to Kyoumi, she continued. “So there is something that needs to be addressed. My name is Kanoko and I would appreciate it if you would call me that until he makes it official and you can call me Okaasan. `Nakatsu-sama' is old and too formal and I won't have it.” She turned to look at the girl, who she knew would have a shocked look on her face before she even said it. “I always wanted a daughter, but I must say I never pictured one quite so beautiful and charming as you.”
 
She smirked at the dumbfounded girl and said, “Did you really think I would raise objections when my son is so obviously happy? I love my son dearly. And you quite obviously love him and are as proud of him as me. Not to mention, you seem to have more basic intelligence than Shuichi, so you'll be a good balance for him. Between the two of us, I think we'll keep him on his toes, don't you?”
 
Kyoumi smiled shyly. “Thank you, Kanoko-san. I will do my very best to take care of your son, for as long as I can.”
 
“As long as you can?”
 
Shrugging, she responded, “We're not married yet. And you never know what the future will bring.”
 
Nakatsu Kanoko blinked at her. “This is true. However, my son does not give up on something once he's made up his mind. And it is made up on you. I imagine he'd be willing to fight the gods to keep you by his side. Heaven knows he had to fight hard enough to succeed at football, and he seems more certain about you than he ever was about that.” She clapped her hands together as if to physically call the matter closed. “Now. What did my son cook up for dessert?”
 
Kyoumi pulled from the fridge the tiramisu that she'd come across while putting the leftovers away. “Tiramisu.”
 
“Oh, my very dear lord. When *did* that boy learn how to cook like this?” she exclaimed, looking at the dessert. “I fear that he's gone into the wrong profession.”
 
“*I* fear that if I'm not careful, your son is going to make me very fat.”
 
Laughing, they brought the dessert out to the rest of the family.
 
X
 
The rest of the evening went by with much laughter and enjoyment. Sakura and Masa made good bantering partners with Kanoko and Naoki. There was much teasing as to the possible future of the couple, including the number of children they should have, names for their as-yet-unconceived children, details for the wedding, and anything else that might be seen as potentially embarrassing. Overall, the feeling was that of family.
 
Afterwards, when the house was empty again except the two of them, they sat next to each other on the couch and sighed in unison.
 
“I really like your parents.”
 
He smiled. “They really liked you.”
 
She smiled in return. “I think they're just glad you're considering giving them grandkids.”
 
“I'm so sorry she put you on the spot like that - asking how many grandchildren you thought your hips and breasts could bear.” He shook his head in disbelief, but she just laughed in response.
 
“Your father's counter, asking you about your sperm count was more embarrassing for you, I think.”
 
Chuckling, the two sighed in unison yet again, leaning on each other for support. Before they knew it, they'd both fallen asleep.