Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Psych Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Drink The Skele-Gro ❯ 35. Hold My Hand ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It is so hard to write some of these prompts when there isn't a romantic interest in sight.
 
It wasn't the chilly air that made him do it, nor the susurrations of what he hoped were leaves. It wasn't the lazy eyes following their every move, either. Actually, he was pretty sure it was the branch that snapped just behind them. The duo jumped and his hand simply moved on its own.
As soon as it made contact, Shawn screamed and wrenched his hand away. “Gus!” he whispered, heart hammering away at his ribcage, “What was that?”
“It's your fault. You know I get clingy when I'm surprised.”
“So you hold my hand?”
“Hey!” Gus defended himself, “I was planning on using you as a shield in case it was a tiger or something.”
Shawn snorted. “Why would there be a tiger in a magical forest? That's just ridiculous, Gus.”
The moment these words left his mouth, another branch snapped, the sound echoing among the trees. Both men squealed and jumped together, clinging onto one another for dear life. The undergrowth rustled and the perpetrator emerged from within it. The little squirrel raced toward a fallen acorn and lifted it up, staring curiously at the men in the process. They watched as it began to nibble on its meal before rapidly moving apart.
“We will never speak of this moment again,” Shawn declared, trying desperately to look as though he hadn't just been clinging to his best friend in terror.
“Agreed.”
 
The squirrel's name is Winston Churchill, by the way.