Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of the Game ❯ To Cross the Division ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Ehehehe, more set up. ^.^;; But it's a bit fluffier this time around. And, for all you Isumi/Waya fans out there, here's a peek at them at home! No sexy yaoi love in this chapter though. Sorry to disappoint!
 
Chapter 2 - To Cross the Division
 
Six months had passed since Shindou moved into his apartment and out on his own. He was sitting across from Touya, playing a quiet game of Go on his latest edition of furniture - a kitchen table. The apartment was still quite bare, but it had most of what Shindou needed. He had the electronics that came from his old room, tactlessly sitting on milk crates, his Goban and stones, his bed, and some old dishes given to him by various family members and friends. Hikaru didn't feel he needed much more, but his apartment was completely bare compared to Touya Akira's.
 
Touya had a very elaborate apartment indeed. Plush leather couches and a full blown entertainment center with an antique coffee table sat in his living room, a set of fine china as well as a set for casual dinners lined his cupboards, a fridge with an ice maker and a table that could accommodate 8 people sat in his kitchen, a bath set with matching towels and shower curtain in the bathroom, and a bedroom set to die for. He also had plants in every room of the house, and even a fish tank with exotic fish. Compared to Touya Akira, Shindou Hikaru's apartment looked unlivable.
 
“I win again. It was this tsuke that lost the game for you.”
 
“Yeah well, if I didn't play there, you would have played here,” Shindou pointed, “and completely shut me out.”
 
“But you could have just easily solidified your territory here and broke my formation on the left side.”
 
“Yeah right! You would have never let me get away with that!”
 
“Any idiot could see that I would have been powerless to stop your attack!”
 
“Idiot? You're the stupid one! The only reason I had so much territory is because you completely missed this move here!” Shindou thrust his finger to a small formation on the left side of the board.
 
“I am not stupid!”
 
“You are! And look, I can't believe you let me get away with this ate here, either!”
 
“Shut up! I couldn't attack you there! Your formation was too strong in the center!”
 
“Idiot!” With that, Shindou got up and stomped into the kitchen. It was an unwritten rule these days that Shindou not storm out of their houses during games. It would be rather foolish to stomp out of his own apartment complex. Instead, Shindou always seemed to make his way to the kitchen and bring back cold drinks 5 minutes later, after the steam had worn off.
 
As per regulations, Shindou returned a few minutes later with a tea for Touya and a soda for himself. And as usual, Touya commented on his choice of beverage. “You know, that stuff isn't good for your body.”
 
“Yeah yeah. Another game?”
 
“Well, it's getting rather late. Don't you think it's about time for some dinner?”
 
“I suppose… my house or yours?” Another unwritten rule that had come into existence over the last six months was the fact that anytime both boys were home around dinner time, they cooked and ate together. Shindou greatly enjoyed the company, and it seemed Touya enjoyed it as well.
 
Touya raised an eyebrow. “Isn't it your turn tonight?”
 
Shindou groaned. He was a bit short on groceries, and though Touya had been helping him, his cooking hadn't improved much. At least Touya helped him do the dishes every night. “How about instant ramen?” Shindou grinned with hope, running his fingers through his hair.
 
“You know I don't eat that instant garbage. Did you forget to go to the store again?” Shindou nodded helplessly and Touya sighed. “My house it is then, again. I'm going to drag you shopping one of these days. You can't even keep your own kitchen stocked.”
 
Shindou grumbled to himself as he followed the blue eyed boy across the hall and into his apartment.
 
***
 
"What're you going to make?" Shindou bounced up and down as he watched his friend pulling things out of the cupboards and fridge. Eating at Touya's house meant he didn't have to do much of the cooking. That always made him happy.
 
"I think a quick stir-fry will do." Touya's hands went to work chopping vegetables while Shindou watched closely. "You know, I've made this for you several times. I don't understand why you can't make it yourself yet. You always manage to burn it."
 
Shindou flushed. "Well, cooking is harder than it looks!"
 
"You just don't pay attention." He tossed the vegetables into the frying pan and began washing the rice.
 
"I do too." Shindou grumbled as he wandered over to the table to pout.
 
In less than a half hour, a chicken stir fry sat steaming on the table in front of them. "This is-"
 
"Great, right? You always say that when I cook."
 
"Well, it is! My cooking is so horrible. I love it when you cook!" A light flush crossed Touya's cheeks momentarily. Shindou grinned. Touya didn't look like the type, but a little bit of praise from someone he knew went a long way with him.
 
Shindou took advantage of that fact as often as possible.
 
"Okay, I'm done! Want to play a game now?"
 
"You haven't got out of doing the dishes yet. What makes you think today is any different?"
 
Shindou winced. "I almost forgot, heh."
 
"No you didn't. You just wanted to try to get out of it." Shindou grinned sheepishly. "By the way, not that I mind, but you've been even more obsessed than usual with playing me."
 
"How am I supposed to surpass you if I don't constantly hone my skills against you?"
 
"Surpass me, huh? Not likely." A hint of a smile played on Touya's lips as he turned on the water in the sink.
 
"One of these days, I'm going to surprise you."
 
"You surprise me every time you say something foolish like that."
 
The dishes were washed and put away and they sat down to play another game. "This time, I'm going to win!" Shindou smiled broadly as he laid his first piece on the board.
 
***
 
"Waya! You left your clothes in the middle of the floor again!"
 
Waya popped his head out of the bathroom and grinned apologetically. "Sorry Isumi! I was in a hurry."
 
Isumi rolled his eyes and picked it up himself. "Hurry up in there! I need to start the laundry."
 
"Oh? Well, I'm done. Want some company?"
 
"If by company, you mean sit behind me and watch, then you can if you want. You could help, you know." Waya shook his head vigorously and moved aside to let Isumi pass.
 
"You know, things have been a lot quieter since Shindou moved across from Touya." Waya planted himself on the toilet and sighed.
 
"They've become even better friends now, that's for sure." Isumi began filling the bathtub with lukewarm water.
 
"As good of friends as us?"
 
"I highly doubt they're intimate, if that's what you're getting at."
 
"But, Shindou doesn't do as much with us, and he always wants Touya to tag along. It's irritating." The amber eyed boy crossed his arms, pouting.
 
"He always wanted Touya to tag along before that." Isumi pointed out. "Maybe you're just upset because you don't like Touya."
 
"No, that's not it. He just seems to be... I don't know, a little too friendly with Touya, that's all. I mean, Touya's such a jerk, and he's always picking fights with Shindou. Not to mention, he practically ignores us. He thinks he's so much better than us."
 
"Have you ever stopped to think that maybe he's uncomfortable around us?"
 
"Uncomfortable? The Touya Akira, uncomfortable? He could walk into a party and still the air! He's the one making people uncomfortable."
 
"Could that be because no one takes the time to understand him?"
 
"...Damn you Isumi. You always have to turn things around on me.”
 
“Maybe you should just be happy for them. Touya needs someone his own age to loosen up a bit. At the same time, the calm reserve of Touya is a good influence on Shindou. If all goes well, we may just have two people that are a perfect blend of each other.” Waya sighed. Isumi was right, of course. But it didn't change the fact that he didn't want to like Touya. “Look Waya, they make each other happy. You should try to get to know Touya. If you're so concerned with Shindou, you should think about how he feels when you openly detest his best friend.”
 
Waya raised an eyebrow. “His best friend?”
 
“Face it. Before Shindou met any of us, his sights were set on Touya. They have a deeper bond than he could possibly have with the rest of us. He will never think of you as his best friend. Besides, you have me.” He said with a smirk.
 
A light flush littered the amber eyed boy's cheeks. “I didn't mean it like that… but I guess you're right. For Shindou's sake, I'll try to get to know Touya. I can't promise I'll like him though.”
 
“Good. Now set up the rack. These need to dry.” Waya smiled and gave Isumi a quick hug from behind before heading off to find the clothes rack.
 
***
 
“Yes! I told you I was going to beat you!” Shindou grinned openly.
 
“It's about time.” Touya teased as he replaced his stones into their goke. “By the way, have you heard from Akari lately? You haven't mentioned her in a while.”
 
“Oh yeah! I almost forgot! I got a letter from her the other day, and part of it is for you. I'll be right back!” The green eyed youth ran from the room and bounced back in moments later. “Here, read it!”
 
Touya took the letter and unfolded it, wondering what Akari could possibly have to say to him.
 
Shindou,
 
We bought a house! Isn't it great? We finally saved up enough money to move out of that old apartment. Mitani is doing well at his new job, and you'll never guess what's going on with us. I'm pregnant! The doctors tell me it's a little boy. Isn't that great? I'll be sure to send you pictures when he's born. Other than that, America is great. My English has gotten much better, and I feel more comfortable here than before. We live pretty close to the beach now, and it's really beautiful to watch the sunset on the water. How are you doing? I hope your matches are going well. I was glad when I heard you moved out. How is that going? It's pretty lucky you moved across from Touya. Is he well? Well, being that he lives right across from you, just hand him this letter when you have a minute. I'd like to say something to him!
 
Touya! I hope you're doing well. Shindou isn't fighting with you too much, is he? I want to thank you for taking such good care of him. I know he wouldn't make it without such a good friend like you. I'm counting on you to take care of him in my place. I could never really reach him like you can. I was interested in Go for a while, but I never did understand the passion you two have for it. I know Shindou looks up to you as both a Go player and a friend, so help him out, okay? Even if he can be a bit of a pain sometimes.
 
Keep In Touch!
 
Akari
 
Touya refolded the letter and placed it gently in the envelope. “She's funny, isn't she? She acts like I start the fights with you. She couldn't be more wrong!” Shindou chuckled.
 
I know Shindou looks up to you as both a Go player and a friend.
 
“Touya?”
 
Touya's gaze didn't leave the envelope as he thought over the paragraph addressed to him. It sounds a lot like what Isumi-san was saying…
 
“Umm, Touya? Is something wrong?”
 
“Huh? Oh, no, I was just thinking, that's all.” There was really only one way to find out if Shindou really thought of him as a good friend. A best friend… “Hey.”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“We've known each other for six years, and now we're neighbors. You could call me Akira, you know.”
 
“A-ki-ra, huh?” Shindou let it roll slowly off his tongue, testing out the sound. He hesitated, and Touya prepared himself for the worse. This is it, he's going to tell me he doesn't want to, that we're rivals and it would be inappropriate… “Sure, I could do that.” Touya blinked. Did he just hear that right? A small rush of relief crossed him. It was everything you could do to keep from laughing out loud at the feeling. “Are you sure you want me to?”
 
His hands shook a little, but Akira forced a calm over himself. “Of course. Why else would I have mentioned it?”
 
“That's true. Okay Akira! But that means you have to call me Hikaru. Otherwise it would just be weird.” Shindou smirked.
 
“Hikaru it is then.”
 
A puzzled expression distorted Hikaru's features. “Wait. What did that have to do with Akari's letter?”
 
“Well, she mentioned we're friends. I thought that perhaps, since we've been friends so long, we could be on a first name basis.”
 
“I've felt that way for a while now, actually. It's just, well, your prestige and all… I thought you wouldn't find it appropriate.”
 
“Not at all. Over the years, and especially in these last six months, you've become my best friend.”
 
“Best friend? Really?” Shindou's eyes widened.
 
“Well, yeah.” A light pink flushed his cheeks, and he was fumbling around with the envelope to keep his hands busy.
 
“What a relief! I was thinking the same thing! But, well…” Shindou stopped, seemingly not knowing what to say next.
 
“The prestige thing again?” Shindou nodded. “I don't know why you even care about that. Or why you think I care about that. And it's not just you. Waya said something to me about it a while ago.”
 
“Waya is always being mean to you. I wouldn't worry about what he says.” Shindou shrugged it off as nothing, but Touya couldn't feel so nonchalant about it.
 
“Not this time. Waya hated me before he knew who I was. Maybe it's because I didn't take notice of him at the pro exams all those years ago. It's partly because I'm not fit to be social with people my age. I just feel awkward. That says a lot, when people you don't even know hate you. And he said something I'd like to ask you about.” Touya set the letter down on the table to keep from ruining it and clenched his fists. The fleeting feeling of happiness at being accepted by Shindou was already leaving him as the bitter memory of Waya's words that night flooded his mind. He'd been keeping it in all this time, and at this moment of confessions, he had to know how Shindou felt. Could Shindou feel who he really was through his Go? Or did he misunderstand his actions as well?
 
Touya swallowed uneasily and began slowly, not quite knowing how to phrase his question. “What-How do you feel… That is…”
 
“Hey, we're best friends now. You can say anything to me! Just say it.” Shindou shot him a reassuring smile, and took a deep breath to restart.
 
“Do you think I look down on your guys? I mean, do you think I'm pushing you all away?”
 
“Tou-Akira…” Hikaru wandered towards the living room and took a seat on the overstuffed couch. “Well, not exactly… but…”
 
Touya took the seat on the other end of the couch and stared intently at the carpet. “…But?”
 
“Well, this is kind of difficult to explain…” He began. “I know that you don't mean to, you see…” He stopped again to push his bangs out of his face. Touya didn't move, his eyes hidden behind long, raven strands.
 
“Well…” He began again. “I don't see you that way. You just don't seem to enjoy yourself with the others, you don't really speak unless spoken to, and it appears to most people that all you see it Go, not the people behind it. They don't think you acknowledge their strength, that you think they aren't worth your time. And well…” Shindou looked away. “You really do seem to only care about Go… But it's okay, I don't mind…”
 
“I do.” Touya said quietly.
 
“Tou-Akira?” Shindou turned his gaze back to Touya, and Touya felt the weight of his questioning eyes on his face. For a brief second, he looked into Shindou's eyes, then quickly looked away again.
 
“I… don't just care about Go. I want to be a part of your conversations. I want to laugh out loud with you, and I want to join the conversation… but I can only smile and nod.”
 
“Akira…” He said softly. Shindou's eyes filled with unseen concern as Touya continued.
 
“I don't know how… to be like you.” His fingers dug into the skin on his knees as he fought back tears.
 
A warm hand touched his shoulder. “It's okay. I understand that. And lately, we've become such close friends. You've changed since I moved in. You talk more now, and not always just about Go. Waya just doesn't see it. He doesn't know what you're like when you're with me. Don't worry about it. He'll come around, and I'm pretty sure Isumi has already realized it. I think we will all become closer friends. It's just that these things take time. I'll talk to Waya if you want.”
 
“No, I want to talk to him. Please let me do this myself. And Hikaru,” Touya looked up. “Thank you so much for understanding me.” The tears were still shimmering in his eyes, threatening to flow, but they were no longer the tears of pain, but the tears of a deep friendship.