InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Outwitted ❯ What Nightmare's Bring ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*Outwitted*

Chapter 6: What Nightmare’s Bring

That night as other students slept peacefully Kagome left the castle walking towards the beautiful gardens. She knew that no student’s would be out because of the curfew they had. But technically she wasn’t a student. Only pretending to be one. So that curfew did not apply to her, not that she would have listened even it it did apply to her. Kagome looked up at the night sky, it was magnificent. She sat on a bench nearby and began to sing, softly a sad and beautiful completely ear catching melody.

As she finished her song she caressed the flower in her hand and breathed in. She looked sadly down at the little rose in her hand, envying it at the moment. For it’s simple beauty, for it’s simple life with no pain.

‘I’m pathetic, envying a rose. When did I get so...weak?’ Kagome thought looking at the huge expanse of nature, resisting the urge to instinctively smile at the beauty and peaceful nature surrounding her. Kagome felt the aura long before she heard the shuffle of robes. Dumbledore. She lost all trace of calm and happy thoughts she’d been having. She turned hateful, spiteful eyes towards him.

“What do you want?” Her voice icy and clipped.

Dumbledore had seen Kagome in the garden and walked over to her cautiously. She was the same as she was back then when he gave her the news. She never forgave him then, she didn’t or wouldn’t forgive him now. ‘I could have saved her brother, protected him, but because I didn’t pay attention that what was going on...’ He couldn’t finish the painful thought. He glanced up into hateful blue eyes. ‘What I wouldn’t give to see the 9 year old girl she used to be. So full of life and love. Enjoying pulling pranks and jokes, but now...I’ll never see it.’ He thought.

“What do you want?” Her cold and icy voice came.

“To talk Kagome.” Dumbledore spoke.

“We, have nothing to talk about.” Kagome stated, rising, preparing to leave.

“Wait! It’s about Kiden.” Dumbledore said watching as she froze.

Kagome whipped around facing him and a fierce glare decorated her face.

“Don’t you ever say his name again.” Kagome said disappearing before he could speak again. Kagome ran all the way to her room and climbed into bed laying their thinking about Kiden.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you Oniisan. I’ll be stronger, I promise.”

Back in the garden’s Dumbledore stood there shocked for a moment before he whispered, “I just wanted to say, sorry.”

Kagome awoke with a start. Another nightmare about her brother’s death. Voldemort had used Avada Kedavra a killing curse; it was an unforgivable curse, her brother died almost instantaneously. But what haunted her was the look on her brother’s face, his last words, and Voldemort’s chilling, mocking laughter filling the halls. Almost as if he knew that Kiden would step in the way of the attack, unintentionally or intentionally no one knew.

~!~Dream~!~

Kiden stepped in the path of ‘Avada Kedavra’ taking the blast of magic from Voldemort’s wand. His hazel eyes glazed over as he whispered, “I love you Kagome, take care.” before he died. Voldemort’s face was filled with some kind of twisted amusement, he laughed his mocking laugh.

“You were a fool boy, protecting an enemy.”

~!~End Dream~!~

“What did he mean by that?” Kagome pondered out loud.

Kagome had not recognized the boy from the dream as anyone but Naraku. He and her own brother had been friends since they were children. Saving the enemies son would’ve had to have meant that Kiden saved Voldemort’s son. But that would mean...

“Naraku’s Voldemort’s son!” Kagome cried.

And that meant that either Naraku was here or with his father. Neither option was appealing nor good. Kagome soaked in the bathtub trying to figure out why they wanted her brother out of the picture. Naraku didn’t even look like Harry. She was interrupted from her thoughts when she felt Harry’s frightened aura. No intruders. A nightmare perhaps. Kagome dressed quickly in robes and entered Harry’s proclaimed ‘room’. Though it was more of an area that held his belongings and bed.

He thrashed around on the bed clearly in the throws of a nightmare. Kagome kneeled next to him, gently calling his name. She knew better then to touch him when he was like this.

“Harry, get up, it’s just a nightmare.” Kagome called.

He awoke with a start, his vision swirling before landing on Kagome.

“I know.”

Kagome’s brow raised of it’s own accord. She was unsure as to what he was talking about. After all ‘I know’ didn’t explain anything.

“I know, your past, I saw it. I’m sorry about your brother.” Harry clarified.

Kagome’s eyes widened marginally. “How, but, that means, your connected to me and you to a degree share my dreams.” Kagome said mostly to herself.

“Don’t tell anyone Harry. You know about my past and what happened with my brother but don’t tell a soul.” Kagome said strictly. He nodded, he didn’t want her mad at him.

Kagome paused for a moment before saying “Thank you.”

“Go back to sleep.” Kagome said turning to leave, however before she could get far Harry stopped her.

“Stay with me, please, I won’t be able to sleep for a while.” Harry shyly stated.

Kagome chuckled softly startling both Harry and herself.

“Very well.”

“What were you like?”

Kagome’s eyes misted as if she were seeing her memories again.

“A long time ago, Harry, I was happy. But four years ago my brother was murdered by Voldemort. I wanted to erase anything and everything that reminded me of him. Including myself. So I changed into what you see now. I was kind and caring had a heart of gold, Kiden called it. I used to enjoy playing pranks and joking around. I was alive. But things change.” Kagome said her voice strained with emotion.

“I’m sorry.”

“...Thank You.” Kagome smiled for the first time in 4 years she opened up, even if it was only a miniscule amount. It was progress. They spoke in quiet hushed tones until it was time to prepare for another day. Kagome turned to leave, pausing before her ‘door’.

“I’m reverting back to my emotionless facade. Don’t be alarmed, I opened up to you Harry Potter and you to me. But betray me and be in for a world of pain.” She left him then, smiling to himself at his small accomplishment.

A/n: Soo....What do you think?