InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Just Another Story ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 5
Kagome didn't know what to think. The possibility that her family had been taken hostage was something that she had never considered. To be truthful, it wasn't even in the realm of possibility for this to be happening right now. Her time, her world was suppose to be safe for her and her family! These types of things weren't suppose to be happening here!
Pulling herself together, Kagome was insistent about what the note had said when Botan didn't answer her.
“It just says some stuff about how your family wasn't killed… that's all,” Botan paraphrased, with a nervous laugh. Koenma had given her strict orders that under any circumstance, she was not to inform Kagome about the note or any of its contents.
She really did want to believe her, she truly did, but she couldn't. Her gut was telling her that there was more to it than that and if it was thing that she had learn over the years, it was to trust her instincts. “Why can't you just tell me the truth?” Kagome's question was barely auditable when she spoke, but she knew that fairy girl in front of her could easily hear her. “I know your kind do not lie without reason, now what is yours?” Truth and sadness filled Kagome's stormy blue eyes.
“You… How do you know of my kind? Even 500 hundred years ago we are rare, legendary even!” Botan was offended, even if the powerful priestess' words were true, she had no right to call her a liar! “And yes! I do have my reasons for not telling you the full truth and for that I am sorry. I really am.” When she was finished with her out burst, she sighed.
“I once new a Fairy Girl and she taught me a lot about your kind - like how to recognize their presence. She also told me that your kind never lied, unless someone has given them a good reason too,” Kagome explained with practiced patients. She wanted to see if Botan would tell her the truth now that she had been given some truth herself.
“Did that Fairy Girl tell you that in this time we would be ruled over by Spirit World? That we would have to be the ones to guide the souls to the River Sphinx, instead of the Souls Keepers? Did this Fairy Girl tell you that the demons would be thrown into a world of their own?” Botan paused in her angry rant. “That very world, the Demon World, is where your family is being held at this instant!”
Kagome allowed Botan to rant, not allowing any emotion to show on her face. Kagome didn't even turn away from the fairy when she heard the stairway door open, but see could guess who was now standing there.
“Botan,” she called softly once the said person had quieted. “Do you want to know the name of the Fairy Girl who taught me about your people?” When Kagome didn't get answer she continued. “Her name was Botan and she was nothing but a small child. Afterwards though, she called me sister.”
“What's going on here?” Yusuke's voice rang loudly, annoyance ripped from his words.
“Yeah, you two have been up here for an hour!” Kuwabara exaggerated, making sure to make his presence known.
“Ah, we were just, uh, finishing up!” Botan reassured, all signs of the previous anger gone. Wiping away the tears were begin to form at the edge of her eyes with the sleeve of her pink kimono, she ran past Kagome, slipping something into Kagome's sash as she passed.
Kagome watched as Botan joined the trio of guys waiting by the stairway, but didn't join them. She wanted to be alone right now, to think out what she had just learned as well as to read the paper the Botan had slipped her.
“Are you not coming, Kagome?” Kurama's polite voice broke through her thoughts. He was waiting for her by the staircase, which Kagome guess was the way they were going to go, instead of using the elevator that is.
“No, no I wont be. I wish to stay out here a bit long, to clear my mind.” Once she noticed that both Yusuke and Kurama were uneasy about leaving her on your own, she offered them her best, reassuring smile. “You have nothing to fear, you two. I'm not going to do anything stupid. All I need is some time to come to terms with everything, that's all.”
“Come on guys, let's leave the priestess to grieve in piece.” Botan helped Kagome, she too wanting to sort through her own memories.
“All right, if that's what you want,” Kurama replied after looking over Botan, making sure she wasn't planning something. Then sharing a quick look with Yusuke, make sure that he approved of it; after all it was his sister he was giving permission to, they left.
Kagome merely nodded her thanks and watched as their three figures disappeared into the shadows of the stairwell. Once she was sure that they had gotten a few levels down, she took out the slip of paper that Botan had given her.
Unfolding the small square paper so that she could read the writing, she nearly dropped it. Her stormy eyes growing wide as she looked upon a printed reddish-black tainted spider. Gently, almost tenderly, she bought her fingers down to touch the horrid mark. Unsurprising to Kagome, the mark shocked her with black lightening bolts, trying to deflect her priestess energy that was hidden just below the surface of her skin. Removing her hand, she turned the half sheet of paper over to see what was on the other side.
My Little Jewel
Kagome read the first lines, and shivered at those words. She hated that pet name, but she continued reading though she had rather purify it to dusk.
Why had you not informed me that your family was so exquisite? Your mother is reminds me of you, though without your spiteful mouth that I've come to adore so. Dear old grandpa was the most interesting, throwing those faulty sutras as if they would harm me. As for your brother, he was, I do believe more spirited than even you. You would have been proud to see him try and stand against me, trying to protect both that woman and old man.
You must say that I did a wonderful job at covering up their abduction as a “accident”, don't you agree, My Little Jewel?
Hmm, yes, every demon in this world wish's to have a taste of these delicate morsels.
Bring me the Shards, my Jewel, otherwise your family will die.
Kagome was a lot more than anger, and she tried to control herself. Unfortunately, her control over her emotions were far to strained over recent events and she knew that her that she wouldn't be able to suppress her energy. She only could hope that it would not be a repeat of last time.