InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Small Steps ❯ Right Direction ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of Sengoku Otogizoushi - InuYasha or Yuu Yuu Hakusho. InuYasha belongs to Takahashi Rumiko, Shogakukan, ViZ Media, ShoPro Entertainment, and Shounen; while Yuu Yuu Hakusho belongs to Togashi Yoshihiro, Shueisha, ViZ Media, and Shounen. No profit or money of any kind is made from this fan-created crossover.
Prompt: "Can I Have a Kiss"
Written For: The Deadliest Sin Community (http : / / thedeadliestsin . proboards33 . com )
Summary: A kiss could make everything better, and even push people into taking steps in the right direction.


- - - - - - - -


Life had been very strange ever since she found her new... friends. There was no other word she could use to describe the type of relationship she had with the three demons and one human. They were too amiable to be enemies, too cordial to be best friends, and too leery of each other to be close. And the reason for it all was trivial.

She was a miko of the past. Three were youkai of the present. One was a human psychic. They clashed like day and night, and, despite her out-going personality, could not co-exist. The youkai were wary of her power and she, theirs. Though they were coming to understand that they were too powerful for her power to burn them, and it left her feeling rather scared. Her fear was, for the most part, directed towards the normal appearing youkai who had once been human before dying a second time.

That left just the human, and they managed to get along. Yet even he kept his distance because of the intensity of her power that always overwhelmed him. His sixth sense was too keen for the immensity of her powers.

However, it all was changing. The more time that passed the more comfortable and used to each other they became. The fear of being purified by her had passed, and she was coming to understand that despite the strength of their power, they would never harm her. Well, she had to admit, Yuusuke, Kurama and Kuwabara would not harm her. The third youkai, Hiei, was another story.

He was everything she was not. She was light; he was dark. He was similar to the solitary moon while she could be likened to the cheerful sun. And just like the legends surrounding the sun and moon, she could not help but want to be close to him.

More often than naught, whenever her eyes found his figure, she could not help but wonder what his lips would feel like against hers. Just once she wanted to kiss someone fully conscious of it and who desired it. While she knew she could kiss Hojo or some other human, she could not bring herself to do it. She wanted the thrill and the fire of kissing someone as dangerous and dark as Hiei.

"If all you're going to do while over here is stare and sigh at him, then at least get the courage to kiss him, Kagome," Keiko said.

She, like most everyone in their circle of friends, was sick and tired of the way Kagome could not focus on anyone or thing if Hiei was in the same room. Keiko would bet that if anyone made an effort to get Hiei to join in on a conversation, he would not pay attention either. For two people who were supposed to be incredibly aware of their surroundings, they sure were not paying attention to each other.

Kagome's eyes widened with fear as she glanced around, hoping no one overheard Keiko. She would die of embarrassment if anyone knew she felt anything but friendship towards Hiei. "Don't talk so loud!" Despite whispering, it sounded loud even to Kagome's ears.

Keiko rolled her eyes. "Please. Everyone but Hiei knows how badly you want him." When she saw Kagome opening her mouth to remind Keiko of the fact that she was just now getting on amiable terms with the ex-group of Spirit World detectives, Keiko covered her mouth. “And don't say what I know you're going to say! You know, maybe if you make more of an effort to be friendly, especially to Hiei, it might bring you all closer together. Make the first step.”

Kagome gave a sullen glare to her so-called "best friend." First step, her foot! She went out of her way before to be nice to them.

...OK, so maybe every time she tried being nice it came out resembling passive-aggressive hostility. So instead, she settled for an impertinent pout and mumbled, "I'm sure he would bite off my lips if I tried."

If Yuusuke had had more of an influence on her, Keiko was sure she would have tried knocking some sense into Kagome's head. However, he had not, so she pulled Kagome up and pushed her over towards Hiei. "You're so dense, Kagome! He might surprise you."

Before Kagome could protest, she found herself stumbling for balance in front of the object of her fantasies. 'Curse you, Keiko!' she thought as she blushed from her ungraceful lack of coordination.

Hiei stared at her with boredom evident in his eyes. It was not as if he would let just anyone see into the depths of them, and the uncoordinated miko in front of him fell into that "anyone" category. Not until he knew how she felt about him, and perhaps not even then.

"Did you need something?" he asked when it seemed as if she was not going to speak.

The blush on her face darkened as she mumbled out a negative response. He was curious now, and it replaced his boredom. "I highly doubt you managed to trip your way over here for nothing."

He was mesmerized as he watched her bite down on her lower lip. That action was something he thought about doing to her many a night. She stopped her nervous action and whispered out a question. While his hearing may not be on par with that of an animalistic youkai, it was still heightened enough for him to hear what she asked, but shock kept him from believing it.

“What did you say?”

She blushed all the more darkly as she repeated her query just a tad bit louder, "I was just wondering if, you know... If I could...kiss you?"

"No." He watched as she looked at her feet, trying to hide her disappointment. It did not suit her at all, and he did not want her believing he had rejected her. It was all in her wording. He knew that it was Keiko that planted the idea in her mind, and that the question did not fit the person she was. Kagome was someone who took what she wanted, not pussyfoot around with requests.

"Only the desperate ask. The intelligent take," he leaned forward to whisper in her ear, trying to get a reaction out of her. She should have been prepared for the consequences before she even asked that question. If she truly wanted a kiss, then he would be sure to give her what she asked for and more. "Are you going to prove me wrong and show me you're as stupid as the oaf?"

When her eyes flashed with determination, he smirked. She was entirely too easy to bait. "I'm not stupid or desperate."

"Then prove it."

Without thinking twice and before she lost her courage, she leaned forward and pressed her lips against his. She was caught off-guard when he took over the kiss before she could pull away. What started out as an innocent peck to prove a point was spiraling out of her control into something more passionate from pent-up desires. And she couldn't find it in herself to care. Her eyes soon closed as she relished the answer to the question that plagued most of her nights: his lips were far too soft when compared to the rest of him.

His demanding kiss overpowered her question. It seemed he found a way to win future arguments over her, and a way to keep her from talking as much as she did. Yet, it was only the first step out of many in the right direction their relationship, and the ones with their friends, was going to take.


- - - - - - - -


Edited 29 April 2010