InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ What not to Expect ❯ Soul Bound ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The wind relentlessly blew through the brush of the trees.
This place, the void between the world of the living and the world of judgment. It would be the last beautiful thing that anyone would see before they crossed the Sphinx River.
As trees continued to shiver and make hushed sounds due to the crystal like leaves rubbing against one another while transparent sparks filled the air and floated around the crystal glaive.
The crass was soft white, pink and bay blue high lights danced on it's tip from a ray of the smiling sun.
"Awaken.." spoke the voice if the jewel. Dressed in a mikos garb and dressed in the traditional red and white, much could not be seen due to the samurai armor which covered most of her chest, but that wasn't all to set off this strangely dressed woman with long brown hair swept across her shoulders, and bold blue eyes. On her side, was a kantana, common to the human eye, but deadly to a demon and calming to even an untrained miko.
The young 15 year old stirred, scratches no longer haunted her skin and her school uniform was replaced by a white sun dress made of satin and beside her sat Sango in the same attire. She had already awaken and her face was graced with disbelief.
Sapphire eyes opened slowly and observed all that was around her.
So I'm dead… was her thoughts as she sat up then jump at the sudden presence beside and in front of her.
Wait.. eyes quickly darted to the woman beside her. Awe and confusion clearly showed on her face as she starred at the woman blankly, Sango couldn't have killed her self! she thought and held her breath at the same time. She didn't even realize that she could breath.
When she tried to open her mouth to form a question, she was instead quickly embraced in the arms of the other woman she didn't need to ask what was wrong, for she was soon answered by the wetness of the other girl's silent tears. Although cruel, she couldn't help but smile at the girls' worry. It was nice to be cried over, to be worried, and to be loved.
She really couldn't remember or think of what was going on. I can't be dead… she thought silently as she moved away to peer at the calming Sango more closely.
When Sango looked up at her, she smiled brightly, and it was gladly returned. She looked around in a daze, I'm dead, it makes since. InuYasha wished for Kikyo so she needed my soul. her gaze went back to Sango. But why is she here then?
Midoriko sighed impatiently, but it would go unnoticed with her relieved smile as she proclaimed, "Hear me! Sisters of the sacred jewel!"
And she was heard, of course Sango and Kagome didn't have to look far because right before them, stood the ancient Miko.
"From the cave…" was all Sango could mutter, while Kagome was still stuck on the 'sister of the jewel' part. This caused Midoriko to laugh making both girls blush in reaction.
When Midoriko finished her small giggle fit, she continued. "Ah yes, I must explain all of this." she sat down where she stood, her legs gracefully folded underneath her in one fluid motion and motion for Kagome and Sango to do the same.
After passing glances to one another, they nodded and crawled closer. "Do you know why you are here?" she asked simply.
Kagome nodded softly while Sango did the opposite and shook her head franticly.
Kagome began to talk when no one else spoke, "InuYasha…he-"
"No Kagome that is not the answer." Midoriko interrupted, "It is because of InuYasha, that you are able to truly be alive."
Kagome just cocked her head to the side. Had this lady grown an Ox inside over the years!
Midoriko giggled lightly once more, her voice held the laughter of a young girl. And why wouldn't it, after all, she died when she was 17. "Kagome…" she grinned. "If you're soul was to go to Kikyo, then why would you be here at the Sphinx's River?"
Everyone grew silent.
"The soul you had was not yours but indeed Kikyo's."
"But how is that true when Kagome is her reincarnation!"
"The soul did not want to be reincarnated…"
Silence.
"That is how the process works, a soul is reborn into a new body with no regrets and is able to move on, but Kikyo moved into a new body without getting rid of her earthly regrets, therefore the soul still belong to Kikyo and not Kagome."
"So, I stole her soul?"
"No, this was meant to happen."
"Why?" Kagome interrupted once more, a more hurtful look in her sapphire eyes.
"I'm getting to it Onee-chan, please be patient."
Kagome nodded.
"I can not get deep into the explanation, because the reason is for you to find out on your own. But as for Sango, your soul was gone the day you died, but once again, that soul was not yours to begin with. All your life, you was near my grave, and in that grave I was able to fuel your body with life!
But that day when you died, that temporary soul was destroyed, the only reason why you were alive is because the jewel was close enough to give you life as well. It is apart of my body."
Sango had nothing to say. Brown eyes was dazed, she was taking it all in at once.
Midoriko sighed, "As you know. I am the creator of the Shikon No Tama, but within the jewel not only rested my soul and the soul of the demon fighting within an eternal battle but, the other two souls of my companions as well. Your ancestors, your souls."
Kagome spoke dryly, "Reincarnations."
"In a way. The jewel was then made of these four our four souls. The demon and myself, along with the souls of your ancestors."
The words she had spoken, were obvious proud ones, but the girls were in just a shock, they remained silent. "It was always meant for you two to inherit them, though one at a time, the line would pass through the three of us and the miko Kikyo, Sango, my reincarnation, then to Kagome who would have it in two lives in a row. Repeat.
But because of the well, things were changed and instead of being four souls compact, the jewel split into four along with a millennia of power!" she sighed deeply. "I am free, and the reason why you two are alive today is because of InuYasha, unknowing by him of course." she gave a weak smile.
"So then, we are the jewel?" Sango said in conclusion.
Midoriko replied with a smile. "Exactly."
"So what do we do now?"
Standing up, she answered Kagome's question, "We train. You both have energy and spiritual power, over a thousand years worth. You will need to learn how to control and bend that power to your own will. A month."
"A month!" Sango exclaimed.
With a grin Midoriko gazed out into the misted river, "In human times yes, but here it will seen so much faster. We are frozen and unaffected by time here…"
"and then what?" Kagome pressed on squeezing another sigh from Midoriko. "I will tell you when time comes…until then…" Midoriko quickly walked into the mist, her images fading after a short distance. "..on your guard!"
The information still didn't sink in entirely in the girls' mind, they were dead, and told of their history, now they had the train.
They needed time, but that time would come later.
They both stood and quickly followed Midoriko into the white mist, their mages fading as Midoriko's did before.