InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "Love and Destiny" ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch. 2
“Naraku, you really didn't think you'd be able to get away with hurting so many people. That's pretty foolish if you ask me.”
 
“You've gotten awfully brave, priestess Kagome. But what about you? Loving a man who can never love you back. You're setting yourself up for pain and heartache. That seems to be a very foolish thing indeed. Don't you agree?”
 
Naraku's words from when he had kidnapped her echoed in Kagome's memory repeatedly. Her mind told her to ignore them; they were Naraku's words after all. But they were undeniably true. She had kept this conversation a secret from everyone, including Inuyasha, but her attitude towards him had obviously changed those last few days.
 
“I was taken away from the Feudal Era before I could make up with him, before I could even say goodbye.”
 
“Kagome! Are you there?”
 
“Huh?” Kagome replied blankly as she slowly began to return to reality. “Oh, I guess I was daydreaming again. Sorry guys,” she replied in the same monotone voice.
 
Kagome's friends stared at her with concern. They had all gathered at WacDonalds as they normally would. They had hoped to make Kagome feel better by bringing her to a familiar place.
 
“We're worried about you,” said one of her friends. “You just haven't been the same since…well, you know.”
 
“Hey, I'm just fine. I already told you. This separation was for the best. He was just never going to forget about his old girlfriend.”
 
Kagome's friends glanced at each other with knowing eyes, as Kagome sipped her drink and began to once again stare into the distance.
 
Back in the Feudal Era
“Kikyo.”
 
“Inuyasha, I've been waiting for you.”
 
Kikyo slowly rose and moved closer to embrace Inuyasha. She held on to him, her eyes closed shut. Inuyasha's arms slowly began to return the embrace, his stare weak and distracted. After a short moment, Kikyo's eyes promptly opened as she let go of a startled Inuyasha.
 
“What's wrong Kikyo?” he asked quietly.
 
“Inuyasha, do you believe in destiny?”
 
“What? What are you talking about?”
 
“I do. I believe that certain things are meant to be… Inuyasha, when you first met Kagome, perhaps you were drawn to her because of her resemblance to me. You still longed for me. But now, when you look at me, you think of her.”
 
“Kikyo…”
 
“Inuyasha, perhaps your mind can still not let go of the idea of you and me, but your heart has already moved on. It had a long time ago; you were just too blind to see it, and I was too angry to admit it. I'm sure of this now. What you feel for me, is not as strong as it was.”
 
Inuyasha made no immediate response. His eyes were hidden beneath his bangs. Could this really be true? In his mind's eye he could see both of them. Kagome shined brightly. He could almost smell the scent of her beautiful, dark hair. She was the one he could trust, the one who accepted him for who he was, the one that he could not bear to live without. Before he could stop them, thoughts suddenly stumbled out as words.
 
“But…she was sent back to her time. There's no way I can see her again,” he murmured weakly.
 
The solemnity of his words surprised Kikyo. It was not like Inuyasha to speak his mind so easily. Yet, then again, it was not like her to express her feelings as she had just did. She couldn't quite explain it, but everything seemed so much clearer to her than it had in the past. It was far easier to release her emotions than ever before. Her body itself felt lighter. After thoroughly collecting herself, Kikyo sighed silently, and then coolly replied.
 
“Inuyasha, it seems to me, that if destiny could bring together too people from different worlds, it could do so again.”
 
With those words, Kikyo turned and began to walk away, only to be stopped by a familiar hand on her shoulder.
 
“Thank you, Kikyo.”
 
Kikyo nodded slightly without turning to meet his face. It was time to let go of the past.
 
Inuyasha swiftly left, his determination supplying him added strength. His leaps were so great that he was nearly flying.
 
Kikyo watched as the man she loved left, and uttered her final words to him.
 
“Goodbye, Inuyasha.”