InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "Shards of Our Memories": The Soap Opera ❯ Chapter 9: Miroku's Hope ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: You know, he's even in my dreams…so why can't he actually be in my house? I don't own Inuyasha, and the prospects aren't currently looking so good ;)

A/N: YAY! It seems as if everyone enjoyed "Passions." Dude, I worked so hard on that love scene, that I swear I even had a dream about it. Every detail is now permanently ingrained in my memory…and, is that a bad thing? Oooh goodness no! Shirtless Inuyasha is certainly not something to complain about! So glad it tickled other people's fancy!

But, I blather. We must continue on to what is always most important- the future. This chapter focuses on two storylines- Inuyasha, and Miroku and Sango's long-awaited dinner date. And to let you know, I planned this fic out to be 12 chapters. So, please read and give me a holler once you're done! Thanks for reading ^_^

"Shards of Our Memories"

CHAPTER 9: Miroku's Hope

Sango carefully adjusted her silky shirt, her eyes attuned to every detail of her eye makeup and the delicate curl of her dark hair. It looked all right, didn't it? She gave herself a flat and self-deprecating look in the mirror, cursing the thought that she had accepted Miroku's invitation on a whim.

There was so much about him that held her in her state of doubt. He was a pervert, albeit a charming one. So far he hadn't taken the time to listen to her complaints about his behavior. Most of all, Miroku was completely and utterly unpredictable. Sango didn't like to get into any situation when she didn't know the possible risks. Maybe that was the reason she was growing antsy.

Sango was worried, to say the least.

X x x x x x x x x x x x x

Three blocks away, Miroku and his old Bertha rolled awkwardly on the cool asphalt. He patiently pressed the gas pedal, easing the car into the parking lot beside Sango's apartment building. A rush of unusual anticipation thrilled through his spine. Giving himself one last glance in the reflection of the rearview mirror, Miroku slammed the car door shut, and headed towards the building's entrance.

Sango jumped a foot as the doorbell rang, startled out of her thoughts. He was here to pick her up! She blew out steadily, nagging herself that she should just get the night over with as quickly as possible. After all, the only reason she had accepted the date was so that she could be rid of the thorn in her side that was Miroku Inoue…right?

She opened the door in a wide swing, dread coursing through her veins…and was taken back by what she saw. Any casual observer might have taken the scene as a romantic greeting between a couple- and Sango didn't put it past her neighbors not to be enjoying the view. Miroku looked nothing less than gorgeous. His lean frame was accentuated by a sleek, black, fitted suit, and his shiny hair was pulled back into a neat ponytail at the nape of his neck. What was more, with a soft smile, he was holding out a bouquet of daisies to her.

Sango stared at the bunch of white-and-yellow flowers for a few seconds, stunned into speechlessness. She inspected them in disbelief, as if they were somehow going to explode in her face. Finally, her brain registered that Miroku had actually performed a genuinely sweet gesture, and was not fondling her behind.

"Thank you…" she muttered softly, lifting the bouquet from his outstretched arms, and gently placing them on the small table beside her door. Trying to find a way to join him without feeling like this was some large setup, Sango hesitantly locked her door behind her and stepped out into the hallway.

Miroku thoughtfully extended his elbow to her, his eyes wrinkling in a warm smile. "Good evening, Sango. You look absolutely lovely tonight." Sango still remained wordless. "Is it a surprise that I clean up so well?" He winked at her.

Sango stared at him, wondering why she felt like blushing. Tentatively, she placed her fingers in the warm crook of his arm. She turned her eyes to watch her heels click on the sidewalk below them. Better than meeting his gaze. "I have to admit….I am surprised by everything. You look nice."

Miroku laughed jovially, his eyes twinkling brighter. "Oh, so you finally admit that you find me attractive?"

"Don't push your luck." But this time, she giggled a little. Was this really what Miroku was like one-on-one?

The two made their way to the parking lot, and saw Miroku's beat-up car. It was always the perfect icebreaker, he had found. "Your chariot awaits, m'lady." With dramatic flourish, Miroku gestured to the piece of junk then solemnly opened the passenger door for her. Even Sango couldn't help but laugh.

Sango buckled her seatbelt with care, hoping the metal hinging wouldn't break off in her hands. "So, where are we going to dinner?" she asked, conversationally.

Miroku smiled secretively to himself, as he rounded the corner. "It's a surprise." He winked at her. Great- a trip into the unknown. Who knew what could happen from here on out.

But a small part of Sango was willing to find out.

X x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Inuyasha was smiling to himself- something that had been a rare occasion for quite some time. But the smile had been there for hours now, lingering as his thoughts wandered. His brother might have determined that he had finally gone off the deep end, if he had seen Inuyasha. This day had been enjoyable because of one person and one person only- Kagome. Inuyasha couldn't hide the giddy and boyish smile that tickled his lips. He had had a hard time not flashing back to the love scene filmed the other day.

His feelings for Kagome had hit him like a time bomb. He had told himself many times that he wouldn't be interested in her, and that she was someone who could be easily forgotten once he had served his "jail time" with the studios. But it had been uncanny how her image just stuck in his mind.

He had barely been able to control himself when she was so close to him- and it almost frightened him. The scene was written detail by detail, staged in order to make it comfortable for the actors. He had gotten all too comfortable with the scene. The lines themselves were ill-placed to him, but the feral stare and the huskiness he had added- that had been real. Of course, until they had practiced together, Inuyasha had planned to approach it as if it were any another scene. But, the moment her slender curves were pressed against him…and then he saw the same anticipation in her eyes…it had been one long downward spiral.

And thinking that she might have felt the same way made it all the more easy to fall into the rhythm of the scene. As soon as they had kissed for the first time on stage, the script details had been lost in a fuzz of desire. It was a feeling he hadn't felt for over three years. It had tugged at him, pulling him deeper as she kissed back and ran her hands up his body, curling in a heady fog around his senses. And had it been his imagination that she looked pleased afterwards?

He smirked idly to himself. Had he really done that to her?

He wondered what she was doing right then. If he was right, and she felt the same way about him, was she also thinking these same thoughts? His smirk sobered slightly, as his thoughts jabbed at him. Could she actually feel the same as him? This intensity of desire and jubilation…Maybe it was a false hope to think that she would care for him after the way he had treated her. In fact, he knew in his heart that she deserved much more than a washed-up recluse had to offer.

But he had decided that nothing would ruin his mood today. Besides, if he wanted to find out her true feelings, there was never a better time than like the present. He was feeling emboldened by his memories of their flirtatious conversations, and how she had lately found excuses to be alone with him. In fact, she had given him her phone number after their autograph signing at the mall, kindly telling him to contact her "just in case."

Well, here's my "just in case," he thought wryly to himself.

He distinctly remembered stuffing the scrap of paper with her phone number scrawled on it into a pocket of one of his suit jackets. Inuyasha moved lightly to the hall closet to retrieve the paper. As he flung open the door, he blocked a barrage of items falling from the top shelf. Waving the collected dust out from under his nose, and coughing violently, he cursed himself aloud for not ever cleaning it out. Ten years' worth of moldy junk must have been stuffed up there. This was exactly why he needed a maid.

Sidestepping the fallen wreckage, he dug into his coat to find the paper. After a moment of fishing, he came up successfully with a crumpled piece of paper, and he let out a small cry of victory. Inuyasha then leaned down to pick up the clutter at his feet, taking extra time to sift his fingers through the mess.

Suddenly, a lone piece of paper caught his eye. He crumpled Kagome's phone number tightly in his fist, as he slowly took in the words on the paper. He blanched, and he choked on the air that rushed out of his lungs.

Why in the world had he kept this?

X x x x x x x x x x x x

Miroku's taste in restaurants was expert, Sango noticed, feeling impressed. It heavily belied his taste in cars. The place was candlelit but cheery, carpeted in rich blues and reds, and while busy, it had an intimate feel. She remained silent as he chivalrously pulled out her chair for her. Every one of his actions had remained gentlemanly thus far.

As they settled into their seats, poising their menus upright, Sango pierced his bright eyes with hers. "So, how long do you plan to keep up this charade, Mr. Inoue?" She tried to fix him with her best disapproving stare- the one that always got the truth out of her little brother.

Miroku looked somewhat offended by the question, but his eyes still twinkled back at her. "Would you believe me if I told you it wasn't a charade?"

Sango raised her eyebrows in disbelief. "If it's not a ploy for some ulterior motive, then why are you doing it?"

Miroku broke into a wide grin, though the tone of his voice reflected complete sincerity. "I wanted to show you that there's more to me than flirtation or stupidity. I've been hoping to get to know you better for quite sometime now…and most of all, I wanted to give you a special night out."

Sango took a sip of her water, but looked pleased at the straight answer he had given her. "Fair enough," she stated. "To be honest…" she began again, looking deep into the violet depths. "I was nervous about coming, since I didn't know what to expect. But, I'm beginning to think I'll be pleasantly surprised."

Miroku returned that same dazzling smile as always. It usually made her want to squirm. This time it was different, though. Sango felt comfortable that he would smile at her this way. Because she now understood that he was genuinely interested in her…and not just in certain parts of her female anatomy.

The waiter arrived soon to take their order, looking distinguished and airy in his starched shirt and suit paints. When their order had been completed, and the champagne delivered to their table, the two turned their conversation, falling easily into banter about various topics.

"So, how did you become a talent agent?" Sango asked, her mood feeling lighter. Was it just the champagne? Maybe it was the way she felt he was an old friend, that there was a mutual trust growing between them as they spoke.

"Well, I originally was studying to be a lawyer…"

"You bloodsucker…" Sango giggled.

Miroku rolled his eyes. "But, I guess it didn't really work out as I had planned. I was close to taking the bar exam, but my finances were running out quickly, and I had so many student loans. I had to put myself through law school, and when the going got tough, I had to give it up. That's when I found a job as an assistant in a large talent agency. I met Kagome there- she was just starting out at that time. That was almost seven years ago…" He took a sip of champagne, settling back comfortably in his chair.

"It so happened that Kagome was looking for an independent agent to work with, and I agreed to break off from the firm to help her out. With my knowledge of contracts and legal tactics from law school, and my degree in business, it became natural for me to work on my own. Plus, I had learned all the intricacies of the business through my work at the other agency."

Sango looked impressed. "Wow….you did all that yourself?"

Miroku nodded modestly. "Yeah, I guess I did. But if it hadn't been for Kagome's success, and Rin's loyalty, I'd be nowhere. I still am a nothing, comparatively."

Sango tutted lightly. "I don't think of you as a nothing."

Miroku laughed heartily. "Well, that means a lot, coming from you."

They were interrupted momentarily, as the busboy whisked their well-arranged plates in front of them. Eyeing his food with interest, Miroku turned to conversation to Sango. "And you- did you always want to be a hair and makeup artist?"

Sango looked reflective for a second as she thought. "No, nothing of the sort. I always wanted to be a ballerina." She laughed at herself. "But, as you can see, that dream didn't fly. I was like you- I had to put myself through college. My parents died when my brother was young, and I had to take care of him myself. Beauty school came as the most convenient option for me- and the cheapest.

"But, I do enjoy my work. It does require artistic flare and talent. It's brought me to many avenues…and I have met so many wonderful people."

Miroku nodded. "You seem very good at what you do." He curled a few strands of pasta around his fork. "I also noticed that we have three things in common."

Sango smiled. "We do?"

He nodded affirmatively. "Well, both of our parents died when we were young. And we also both came into our professions by chance."

"And the third…?"

Miroku grinned slyly. "We both are glad that you said yes to tonight."

Sango scowled as if she had been outwitted in some game, but in turn smiled widely at him. "I hate to admit it," she shook her head, "but I've enjoyed tonight. Thank you for this, Mr. Inoue."

Miroku leveled her with his gaze. "It's Miroku."

Sango blushed, looking down at her food. "…Miroku."

X x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Inuyasha exhaled a shaky breath. He crouched down, his body suddenly feeling heavy. Tentatively extending his hand, he slid he paper from the hardwood floor as if it was some vile, dead object. All of his previous thoughts of Kagome had been completely wiped from his mind, as he read the headline on the page torn from a tabloid, once more.

"Shocking Evidence Found Against Inuyasha Tanaka in the Death of Ex-Lover, Kikyo."

He screamed mentally against the printed words. What had happened to Kikyo was an accident. It had been confirmed by police reports, and it was something he had told himself time and time again. He knew it to be true. But, no matter how much or how often he told himself otherwise, the guilt was hard to wash away.

To bring up these old wounds again, even if through the lies of a grocery store tabloid…it just made him lose a part of his resolve. Seeing the paper made him remember the searing pain and hate that he had felt these three long years. Hate of himself…the cruelty of the world…the press that only cared about getting their juicy stories, no matter who they had to step on to get them. He had almost been able to forget all of this, while daydreaming of Kagome. The all-too-familiar feeling of lost helplessness welled up in his throat again.

If Kikyo were here, would she feel sad that he had been able to let go of her memory so easily?

He took a long look at Kagome's telephone number, wrinkled almost beyond recognition within his grasp.

Not today, Kagome, he spoke in his mind. He didn't feel as if he could face her at the moment.

~*x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x*~

A/N: Sango is such a lucky girl, though it's taken a while for her to realize it. I was once asked the question "What Inuyasha character would you like to go to dinner with?" Miroku- beyond all possible doubt. I mean, Inuyasha is cool and all, but I know he'd hate my guts…In fact, he'd probably murder me. No matter what, Miroku would make me feel beautiful!

And- see! I totally remembered that Kikyo is really a part of this plot! Next chapter, it'll all unravel, and you'll discover exactly where Inuyasha's pain and guilt comes from. GAH! But he didn't call her! Kagome's probably at home wishing he would call her…but alas….plot devices dashed her hopes. Blame me and my Evil Author-ness.

Let me hear your words of wisdom, O Generous and Kindly Reader, and stay tuned for Chapter 10, "My Guiding Light."